Cultural appropriation

Moderator: Spartan

Postby LionH3art » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:46 pm

ArmyOfMe wrote:
LionH3art wrote:
ArmyOfMe wrote:Well in some cases the argument is valid, IMO. Sometimes imitation becomes mockery and I find annoying af. I also find it mindless to copycat the style of a cultural minority without being aware of the issues that that minority faces, even worse when making money out of it.

Other than that, I am not really mad about it.

Guys, could you not turn the thread into a mess? It's true that few people take her seriously tho (it's not really her intention to be taken seriously tbf), but that doesn't make Burffday any less of a bop :P
On a personal level yes, but not when imitating a culture as a whole imo. Every culture eventually comes forth out the same and could therefore be seen as cultural appropriation.
But it IS annoying sometimes. Like everyone from abroad using catchphrases with me like "ciao bellissimo" or "bello ragazzo", like no. I wouldn't call it cultural appropriation tho, just kitsch stereotyping.
Yeah, but stereotypes are something different than cultural appropriation! :P How do stereotypes emerge? Within a sub-culture?
LionH3art
Superstar

Postby Mikerocha » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:49 pm

I find this post unecessary :-?

Like it is begging for a mess of a post, especially posting a photo of Iggy Azalea.

Is it a hate post towards Iggy? Last time I checked Beyonce did the same thing this week.

And I like Beyonce. Just keep it fair and clean. Otherwise, people have the right to call out the hypocrisy in here.
I'm ready to be loved and love the way I should
Life's about, life's about to get good
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby toxicALIENS » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:49 pm

Tbh i genuinely think I'm too stupid for this conversation :lol: :lol:

This is me
BS:TS:IA:NM
toxicALIENS
Superstar

Postby ArmyOfMe » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:52 pm

Mikerocha wrote:I find this post unecessary :-?

Like it is begging for a mess of a post, especially posting a photo of Iggy Azalea.

Is it a hate post towards Iggy? Last time I checked Beyonce did the same thing this week.

And I like Beyonce. Just keep it fair and clean. Otherwise, people have the right to call out the hypocrisy in here.
It's called irony :wink: + Iggy is often a victim of that accuse, so it was also a way to state that. I'll put some disclaimer under the pic next time. I'm not begging for anything, if you don't like it no one is forcing you to take part in the discussion.
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby thankfulforkelly » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:54 pm

SHE DOESNT EVEN GO HERE
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby SholasBoy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:31 pm

[quote="ArmyOfMe"]Well in some cases the argument is valid, IMO. Sometimes imitation becomes mockery/quote]

This bit I completely agree with, however in general I don't agree with the whole concept, as I think it's difficult to know where to draw the line, I think it's unfair to suggest that a race can take ownership of a way to wear your hair, how to dress, language, music styles etc... So one of the Jenners was called out for wearing corn rows, but is it ok for Justin Bieber to wear his pants low and record R&B? It's too much. Cultural integration is a great step forward imo and shouldn't be seen as insulting.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Mikerocha » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:23 am

SholasBoy wrote:
ArmyOfMe wrote:Well in some cases the argument is valid, IMO. Sometimes imitation becomes mockery/quote]

This bit I completely agree with, however in general I don't agree with the whole concept, as I think it's difficult to know where to draw the line, I think it's unfair to suggest that a race can take ownership of a way to wear your hair, how to dress, language, music styles etc... So one of the Jenners was called out for wearing corn rows, but is it ok for Justin Bieber to wear his pants low and record R&B? It's too much. Cultural integration is a great step forward imo and shouldn't be seen as insulting.
Thank you.
There is an hypocrisy in this.
I'm ready to be loved and love the way I should
Life's about, life's about to get good
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby abi » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:27 am

People love making issues of such small things nowadays. Where were these people when Justin Timberlake were rocking those cornrows during his N*SYNC days or when Nicole Scherzinger and her backup dancers doing the "Jai Ho" video?

For me personally, I see this as a cultural appreciation as in people celebrating other people's culture without making mockery, misinterpreting it or over-sexualizing it. Videos like "Hymn", "Jai Ho", "Bad Girls" (M.I.A.) & "Princess of China" are all beautiful visually and well done (I watched "Bounce" once and I forgot how it looked like, so...). Tbh, from what I've seen I find that the people who find 'cultural appropriation' offensive is actually Westerners who are actually not a part of the culture being appropriated itself. Weird, right? Most people I know who belong to that culture themselves actually find these videos beautiful and is a good way to promote their culture.

The only music video using Asian culture that I find uncomfortable to watch is actually "Lean On". Not because of the 'cultural appropriation' issue, but I just find it's inappropriate for MO gyrating & dancing awkwardly in her underwears in front of those Indian women. Weird enough, the video has gained 1billion views on YouTube and based on the comments & the number of dislikes, I don't think people have problem with it. Well, maybe it's just me.

As for the Iggy vs. Bey comparisoon, well, it's a trend to hate Iggy nowadays so people will always find something 'bad' about her while Beyonce is seen as the queen of the world, so yeah. :lol:
abi
Legend

Postby trebor » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:51 am

ArmyOfMe wrote:For instance, my straight friends who are close to me started using "gay" jargon and I don't feel offended at all, since I perceive them as part of my culture (sort of queer, let's put it that way), which should be a culture of inclusiveness IMO.
A bit off topic but as you mentioned the above behavioural situation as an example, I'd rather say it's typical mirroring and is not related to any sort of appropriation.

Mirroring is the behaviour in which one person subconsciously imitates the gesture, speech pattern, or attitude of another. Mirroring often occurs in social situations, particularly in the company of close friends or family. The concept often affects other individual's notions about the individual that is exhibiting mirroring behaviors, which can lead to the individual building rapport with others.
trebor
Legend

Postby thankfulforkelly » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:02 am

omg I do mirroring all the time :lol: particularly online! I've picked up so many UKmix mannerisms, particularly saying "mess" at everything and addressing everyone as "sis" :lol:
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby flopho » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:06 pm

thankfulforkelly wrote:omg I do mirroring all the time :lol: particularly online! I've picked up so many UKmix mannerisms, particularly saying "mess" at everything
This so much lol, probably one of my most frequently used words by now.
Shame on me for changing...no, shame on you for staying the same
flopho
Legend

Postby Crackiswack » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:35 am

UGHHGHGH There are people on my newsfeed that post ONLY about cultural appropriation etc. It's so effing annoying, because they believe they are right and that everyone else is blind, when there are so many flaws within it. Cultures will always intertwine, and it means integration of people and cultures is happening. Isn't that MLK and other civil rights leaders fought for?
Please Stop the Music
Crackiswack
Manager

Postby Crackiswack » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:49 am

I'm black, but I'm not into that whole thing. It actually really annoys me, I tend to usually roll my eyes when I see that stuff :lol:
Please Stop the Music
Crackiswack
Manager

Postby MadeOfBricks » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:14 am

As always, it's dependant on context. Generally, I think it's a good thing - I don't think any "culture" or group of people has the exclusive rights to a way to dress or express yourself and the more things like this are intergrated into mainstream life, the wider awareness will be. I say awareness, that isn't really what I mean but I can't think of another word.
There is the danger of cultivating a stereoptypical view of certain cultures, but as long as things are done tastefully and respectfully I don't see it as harmful. Things like calling the Jenners or Bieber out for a hairstyle, I believe, are more to drag that specific person - people don't need an excuse to hate on them because they're such devisive figures.
MadeOfBricks
Manager

Postby MrDiva » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:48 am

Cultural appropriation =\= cultural appreciation
LIKE VICTORIA FOX ON FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/VictoriaFoxNow/
Follow me on Instagram @mrdeeva
MrDiva
Superstar

Postby aaliyahman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:54 am

I think cultural appreciation is more of what we see today.

I think the problem stems from a minority offended of the apropriated culture. I.e. When Iggy and Beyonce don that garb and make it popular and a huge hit in the west yet an Asian actress wouldn't get the same recognition.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby CrazyCrazy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:43 pm

ArmyOfMe wrote:For instance, my straight friends who are close to me started using "gay" jargon and I don't feel offended at all, since I perceive them as part of my culture (sort of queer, let's put it that way), which should be a culture of inclusiveness IMO.
I don't associate myself with any such "culture", this whole "gurl" and "sis" stuff is horrible for me. :lol: I mean I don't care if others use it but it doesn't feel natural for me personally, I'm just a "normal" bloke in that respect.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby MonaBlissa » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:20 pm

When elder people speak of this without using that "word," I can understand. But, I can't take this generation seriously.

When I see blacks bastardize my own culture, like Kanye performing with The Blind Boys of Alabama in his pseudo-gospel performance, bothers me more than fainting at K-Pop foolishness.

But I won't lie, when I thought Jessie J and Ariana were going to remake The Boy Is Mine, I cringed. I just didn't want to hear/see it.
MonaBlissa
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:30 pm

I do think some outlets go too far with the "cultural appropriation" though... like when Spin attacked Joe Jonas for covering "Work" because "he didn't get the memo white people aren't allowed to sing this song". WTF!?!? I can see it being inappropriate for a white person to sing "Formation" or something, but what about "Work" is off limits for a white artist?
NothingFails
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:03 pm

Cultural Appropriation is the most ridiculous concept to come out of the 2010's
Even more annoying than the #selfie paranoia.

One thing is to mock someone.
A very different thing, is imitating and honouring. You're going to tell me you own your culture? And, most of the times, when it's not even your culture? Please. Pressed people on Twitter don't get to tell me what to do.

The most ridiculous thing about it all is that we, as humans, are a product of mixed cultures and our genes are extremely diversified and come essentially from one ancestor. We are all related. There's is no Appropriation when we all share the same genetic backbone.

So being pu$$ies and get your head out of your asses.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:06 pm

NothingFails wrote:I do think some outlets go too far with the "cultural appropriation" though... like when Spin attacked Joe Jonas for covering "Work" because "he didn't get the memo white people aren't allowed to sing this song". WTF!?!? I can see it being inappropriate for a white person to sing "Formation" or something, but what about "Work" is off limits for a white artist?
I've been lipsynching to formation for weeks now, am i doing something wrong? :o
stevyy
Legend

Postby Gravity » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:55 am

The whole concept of cultural appropriation is stupid...culture is meant to be shared and experienced. You can't lock it in a cage and expect people to not touch it and just admire it from the outside.
I remember that one time when Samoans were singing traditional Croatian klapa songs...and one 2nd generation USA immigrant SJW tried to call them out...meanwhile real Croatians were all praising these guys and invited them to tour in Croatia... :roll:
IMO in most cases it's just immigrants removed from their original cultures trying to be more catholic than Pope :lol:
Gravity
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:15 pm

Gravity wrote:The whole concept of cultural appropriation is stupid...culture is meant to be shared and experienced. You can't lock it in a cage and expect people to not touch it and just admire it from the outside.
There are sensitive topics but sometimes I feel like there can be a bit too much PC.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Return to The Lounge