Celiac disease & other gastro-intestinal diseases

Moderator: Spartan

I suffer from a gastro-intestinal disease and have been diagnosed with ...

Celiac disease / Wheat intolerance / Wheat sensitivity
40%
Lactose intolerance
No votes
Diverticulitis / Ulcerative Colitis/ Crohn's
20%
IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome which excludes the diseases above)
40%

Total votes : 5

Postby Loose » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:57 pm

A lot of people suffer from digestive issues these days and I wonder if you guys have ever been troubled by any gastro-intestinal diseases.

I have had quite a rough time lately coping with the celiac disease. Eating became more and more stressful and I even had times when eating caused such paranoia that I mainly sticked to rice and bananas most days in order to avoid consequences.

I wanted to open up a thread for those of us who are troubled by unstable intestines. Please share your stories as well as your remedies. I hope we can all profit from your contributions. :D

Celiac disease is a serious autoimmune disorder that can occur in genetically predisposed people where the ingestion of gluten leads to damage in the small intestine. It is estimated to affect 1 in 100 people worldwide. Two and one-half million Americans are undiagnosed and are at risk for long-term health complications.

When people with celiac disease eat gluten (a protein found in wheat, rye and barley), their body mounts an immune response that attacks the small intestine. These attacks lead to damage on the villi, small fingerlike projections that line the small intestine, that promote nutrient absorption. When the villi get damaged, nutrients cannot be absorbed properly into the body.

In adults, common symptoms include:

- Iron deficiency
- Bone or joint pain
- Arthritis
- Depression or anxiety
- Tingling numbness in hands and feet
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Itchy skin (called dermatitis herpetiformis)
- Mouth sores
WE COULD'VE HAD IT ALL WITHOUT THE CHAINS | THAT PALACES MAKE
Loose
Legend

Postby Serby » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Becomimg gluten intolerant is like my biggest fear ever, I would not wanna live cuz bread >>>>>>
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby stevyy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:15 pm

i've got no diseases... livin' the life. I could eat wheat stuffed in milk and drink blood.. :D
stevyy
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:39 pm

It has been proven that most people who claim to be something intolerant are, in fact, not.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby Crackiswack » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:43 pm

IBS
Please Stop the Music
Crackiswack
Manager

Postby Loose » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:02 am

DnBLover wrote:It has been proven that most people who claim to be something intolerant are, in fact, not.
That's true until you get diagnosed. There are reliable tests like colonoscopy that detect celiac disease pretty fast.

When you suffer from symptoms and the doctor can exclude all gastro-intestinal diseases, it is IBS (which is not a diagnose really but rather a confirmation that docs cannot tell you what you've got).
Loose
Legend

Postby Loose » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:12 am

Loose
Legend

Postby Ewokguy15 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:25 am

I have been lactose intolerant since I was a kid and have recently been diagnosed with Diverticulitis, these days both are easy to live with but still annoying, I think you just have to change your diet and get used to it. Eventually it becomes your new normal!
Ewokguy15
Manager

Postby Loose » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:12 pm

I am sorry to hear that. Diverticultis must be really painful at times. :(

Which diet works best for you?
Loose
Legend

Postby Gravity » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:14 pm

Number 10 is actually wrong. IBS should not cause problems during the night. :wink:
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Ewokguy15 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:21 pm

Loose wrote:I am sorry to hear that. Diverticultis must be really painful at times. :(

Which diet works best for you?
I have just been eating a lot of fibre, i'm not a huge bread person so find it hard to eat a lot of that kind of stuff. Metamucil is my new best friend, that and I have little Fibre gummy bears :D

It's not the nicest thing to have!
Ewokguy15
Manager

Postby Loose » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:06 pm

Gravity wrote:
Number 10 is actually wrong. IBS should not cause problems during the night. :wink:
True. Even though it happens at times when trigger foods accumulate in your stomache.

I have been avoiding alcohol lately. It has probably the baddest effect on my intestines causing inflammation as well as diarrea attacks.
Loose
Legend

Postby Loose » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:28 pm

I am at a point right now where I feel it is difficult to handle this s**t.

First of all, it is SO difficult to engage in social events, especially the ones that contain food. I sometimes consciously ignore the fact that I have Gluten Sensitivity and have a sandwich or two. Nevertheless, the "two days after" - as I call them - are usually SO bad.

Yesterday we went out for Indian food and I could not resist the Naan bread.

2 hours after I felt pressure on my chest along with pulse getting faster. Due to the fact that I had not felt any symptoms regarding indigestion, I have ignored it.

Today I went multiple times to the loo and barely dared to leave the house. That's usually the moment when anxiety kicks in and you are going through all the public toilets in your mind. What came after was a heavy discomfort throughout the day. Bus ride was uncomfortable due to the fact it was crowded. 'Brain fog' set in and concentration was gone. Fear of losing control etc.

Days like these just get the best of me.

I really hate that condition.

I wish we were back to paleo and did not even have supermarkets.
Loose
Legend

Postby menime123 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:27 pm

Gravity wrote:
No, believe me, it’s absolutely true.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby MrDiva » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:30 pm

Serby wrote:Becomimg gluten intolerant is like my biggest fear ever, I would not wanna live cuz bread >>>>>>
LIKE VICTORIA FOX ON FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/VictoriaFoxNow/
Follow me on Instagram @mrdeeva
MrDiva
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:26 am

I have IBS which, ironically, is pretty shit.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby nekoocz » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:37 pm

menime123 wrote:
Gravity wrote:
Trust me, IBS doesnt really care about time ... Or place where you are.
nekoo.cz - follow me
nekoocz
Legend

Postby nekoocz » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:39 pm

No 3 is wrong. IBS is not affected or caused by food.
nekoo.cz - follow me
nekoocz
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:57 pm

nekoocz wrote:No 3 is wrong. IBS is not affected or caused by food.
In my experience it really is, as do all leading health professionals in the field. It’s a relatively new area of research, but enough research has been done for leading health services around the world to recommend it to suffers. It’s called FODMAPs, and I believe credit is due to the Australians for leading the research:

The term FODMAP is an acronym, derived from "Fermentable, Oligo-, Di-, Mono-saccharides And Polyols". Although FODMAPs are naturally present in food and the human diet, FODMAP restriction has been found to improve symptom control in people with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and other functional gastrointestinal disorders (FGID). Prior to the formation of the FODMAP concept, diet was seldom used as first line therapy for management of IBS and other FGID
Whilst it isn’t the cause of IBS developing, food in my experience is definitely the cause of symptoms (along with stress).

The NHS support it and advocate it (I’ve been up the Royal London plenty of times discussing it) - and following a FODMAP free diet for 8 weeks then reintroducing certain FODMAPS individually helped me discover what foods to avoid. For example, I can’t eat apples, mangos, asparagus, cauliflower or honey. Believe me - I’ve tested each for a reaction :oops:
menime123
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:07 pm

nekoocz wrote:
menime123 wrote:
Gravity wrote:
Trust me, IBS doesnt really care about time ... Or place where you are.
Absolutely. My life motto:

menime123
Superstar

Postby nekoocz » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:24 pm

menime123 wrote:Absolutely. My life motto:

Imodium is life saver, but you cant take it daily. I do have days when im good, then i have days i have to go 5x ... I try to not get used to it, it can cause even worse problems.
nekoo.cz - follow me
nekoocz
Legend

Postby nekoocz » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:27 pm

menime123 wrote:
Whilst it isn’t the cause of IBS developing, food in my experience is definitely the cause of symptoms (along with stress).

The NHS support it and advocate it (I’ve been up the Royal London plenty of times discussing it) - and following a FODMAP free diet for 8 weeks then reintroducing certain FODMAPS individually helped me discover what foods to avoid. For example, I can’t eat apples, mangos, asparagus, cauliflower or honey. Believe me - I’ve tested each for a reaction :oops:
Stress is a huge factor, in my case it makes it more painful ...

I tried (and actually love) all this food. What made it worse was chlorella.
nekoo.cz - follow me
nekoocz
Legend

Postby Loose » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Guys, try carbon in capsules!

3 times a day with every meal when s*** hits the fan.

Once a day in order to prevent that s*** hits the fan.
Loose
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:21 pm

^ :lol: :lol: :lol:
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby flopho » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:32 pm

this was my first thought
Shame on me for changing...no, shame on you for staying the same
flopho
Legend