Veganism (POLL ADDED)

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

Can You Ever Imagine Yourself Going Vegan?

No, never.
62%
Yes, but not right now.
14%
Yes, I'm in a process of going vegan.
10%
I'm already vegan.
7%
Not really sure.
7%

Total votes : 29

Postby Serby » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:03 am

Also plan to go to an activism workshop with Joey Carbstrong. He can also have. Compassion with some anger but out of good reasons. :cry:
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby MusicRecords » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:30 am

Serby wrote:Sis, but how about we talk about James Aspey? That man can have it.

Dunno bout you, but since going vegan, I find vegan men extra level sexy. Compassion mixed with passion is sexy af rrrrrgh.
You still want his meat though :P :oops:
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:41 am

Just looked him up - not my type but I'm glad to see he is an activist.
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby Rihab » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:18 am

9 months in and I've officially forgotten what meat tasted like. Can't miss what you don't remember, so I think I'm safe vegetarian now. 8-) :lol:
Rihab
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:56 am

Rihab wrote:9 months in and I've officially forgotten what meat tasted like. Can't miss what you don't remember, so I think I'm safe vegetarian now. 8-) :lol:
Congrats babe
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby Thriller » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:12 pm

I respect everyone’s dietary or lifestyle choices and each to their own, but I don’t get why some people deprive themselves of things they really want for the sake of being a martyr to their vegetarianism or veganism. Where’s the enjoyment in that? I have a friend who eats a 90% vegetarian diet but then once in a blue moon she’ll have a burger or pepperoni pizza if she really fancies it. Seems sensible to me.
Thriller

Postby Serby » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:09 pm

Well my opinion (or probably anyone who commited to this lifestyle out of ethical reasons):

Surely it's not always easy to avoid temptation, but how I would feel after I didn't stay true to my (now) core values is worse and would make me more unhappy than any unsatisfied craving. Look at summerpeur's post. The only reason we do it is because we don't want to do something we find so horrible and wrong. What you say would make more sense if I was dieting for health reasons or whatever. Think of anything you are so strongly against and think about how you would feel afterwards and maybe it can be more clear to you. Its only about staying true to yourself, not some movement (as we are not a religion or so). Hope this helps.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Thriller » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:16 pm

From a values point of view that makes sense, if you feel so strongly about it.

It’s mostly the people who are doing it to be trendy, or smug, that I have an issue with.
Thriller

Postby Serby » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:04 pm

I rather people follow a trend causing less harm to animals, humans, planets etc than other way around. So even in that case I see it as a good thing. Though veganism itself is not a trend if you approach it seriously. Gluten free, keto etc are.

Since you are from UK that's really a vegan hotspot in all possible aspects, what's your opinion on veganism, do you ever see yourself there and why (not) (if you want to answer, no pushing)?
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Thriller » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:18 pm

I doubt I’ll ever be vegan or vegetarian because I love meat too much; I eat it everyday in some form.

I also LOVE cheese so much. I don’t consume much milk at all and eggs I have now and then.
Thriller

Postby Serby » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Thriller wrote:I doubt I’ll ever be vegan or vegetarian because I love meat too much; I eat it everyday in some form.

I also LOVE cheese so much. I don’t consume much milk at all and eggs I have now and then.
...said every vegan ever before going vegan. :lol: I'm not even kidding lol

Is there anything you disagree with other than the taste argument or is it really all down to habit?
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Thriller » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:34 pm

I don't enjoy fruit or vegetables enough either - I struggle to fit them into my diet as I either dislike the taste or texture so I'm really picky with healthier foods - I always find vegan and vegetarian dishes are full of things like courgettes and butternut squash, neither of which I like.
Thriller

Postby Serby » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:04 pm

There's soo many dished without those you mentioned, so don't give up yet. Check Unity Diner for some amaaazing meals. Plus the tastebuda do change.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby biscuits » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:06 am

My vegan brother is coming to visit me soon. He said we can only go to vegan restaurants. This is where it gets annoying
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:07 am

Serby wrote:Also plan to go to an activism workshop with Joey Carbstrong. He can also have. Compassion with some anger but out of good reasons. :cry:
I like Joey Carbstrong
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Serby » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:48 am

biscuits wrote:My vegan brother is coming to visit me soon. He said we can only go to vegan restaurants. This is where it gets annoying
Why? I personally do go to mixed food places, but obvs prefer vegan only. And I imagine most of the people wouldn't like eating out in the place where people around you eat dog/cat meat (or if your friends did). It's really easy to understand tbh as you can still eat, unless eating vegan offends you and you find it wrong.

Also, I don't want to pay for anyone's non-vegan food or drinks and will ask for the money. :lol:
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby biscuits » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:51 am

He’s vegan, not me. So why should I only be allowed to go to vegan only places?
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Serby » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:55 am

No one is forcing you anything, though? If he wishes to go to vegan only places, it is fair to respect his decision as doing so you are not doing anything against your own values. Again, unless you are somehow offended or find it morally/ethically wrong to eat vegan, I dont see the issue. And you can always not go eat out with him.

Honestly, when I cook vegan meals for my friends just for them to put 3kg cheese on top, yes, it bothers me so f much and I feel disrespected. I understand how this whole thing can come off as silly and annoying, but being vegan means living in a world where something you strongly disagree about and find wrong on so many levels is the most normal thing. Think of anything you truely find wrong and not wanna be part of and I'm sure you can understand him a bit better.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Loose » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:04 am

biscuits wrote:He’s vegan, not me. So why should I only be allowed to go to vegan only places?
Seems a bit strict to me. There are 1000 possible compromises regarding locations and restaurants.

I don’t eat milk products and gluten but would allow any person to eat things I don’t in my presence.

There should be a solution to this argument.
It's handled. (Olivia Pope)
Loose
Legend

Postby Serby » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:09 pm

You are completely missing the ethical/value point of view. Gluten intolerance is not the same as not wanting people around you eat all these products that come from a tortured animal. I still do, but tbh I'd rather not have to be around animal parts/secretions when I eat.

And when I say respect I'm all about people being respectful to animals whose choice and wishes were never taken into account before they ended up on our plates. So if my friends etc. can't do it for the animals, then do it for me.

People always say 'eat whatever you want but respect my choice', but actually there's nothing to respect about it. I was same before, but it doesn't change the fact that no one has to respect the 'choice' to have sentient beings killed and abused for taste buds, clothes etc while not doing any good to planet either or maybe even your own health. This may sound harsh, but I wish someone told me this before. Eat how you wish, but own it up and at least try explaining why is it okay to do it rather than just dismissing others. We know better than just doing whatever we want without thinking about it.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby MusicRecords » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:22 pm

biscuits wrote:My vegan brother is coming to visit me soon. He said we can only go to vegan restaurants. This is where it gets annoying
Tell him to get off his high horse. Sure, one can respect he's vegan but taking YOU to only vegan restaurants is kinda unfair tbh. He should compromise by going out to "standard" (idk how else to say it) restaurants since most offer vegetarian or even vegan dishes these days, all he'd have to do is look at the menu in advance. That way both of you are met with your dietary needs. It would be ok for you to accept going out to maybe one strict vegan restaurant just to try it out (many vegan dishes are quite good).....but yeah only wanting to go to vegan restaurants is quite messed up since vegan places are strict and won't really have meat, as where regular restaurants will have meat AND vegan options most of the time.

This is all assuming you guys will be eating together right? If he's going alone then he can do whatever he wants ofc :lol:

If you guys cook together you could also maybe be open to try one of his vegan dishes, but the nice thing about this is that you guys can cook pretty much the same thing, but you just add your meat source to yours while he makes his vegan version :D
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby Rihab » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:26 pm

Are you sure he meant 'all vegan' restaurants or 'vegan-friendly' restaurants that also offer some dishes for him?

Cause I know how annoying it can be when you go to random restaurants and the only vegetarian dish you can find on the menu is cheese noodles.. Some literally don't even have vegetarian salads, so I don't want to imagine what it's like for vegans. :-? :lol:

Yet I'd never expect anyone to go to a veggie restaurant for me, that's just rude. Any restaurant is fine with me as long as they've got 2-3 veggie dishes to choose from.
Rihab
Legend

Postby Serby » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:27 pm

And I will say again that minorities and other opressed groups should be the first ones to start switching toward this lifestyle because who can understand better having your rights (and lives) taken away if not us?

To realise that I was crying about wanting my rights to a equal life as a LGBT person, but at the same time was opressing animals on a daily basis for my personal pleasure and convinience made me feel not much better than any of those people I was fighting against. Based on what? Some standards we set up so that we can feel dominion over them. To get mad about dog festival in China when same things happen here in our countries. Each and every second of the day. And be happy about cows escaping the slaughterhouses but the only rrasons they are there is cuz they got bred into existence so we can eat them (or drink their milk meant for the babies that we also ate).

It's impossible to be perfect, but if there's one thing we can change it's those that are happening because of us. And if I sound elitist, I'm sorry, but there's nothing elitis about using the privilege we've been given. And all I hear is just excuses, same ones I used till about one year ago.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby MusicRecords » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:37 pm

Serby, hun :lol: that all sounds cute and all...but I think people simply decide to live different lifestyles, Many of the things we do and take for granted these days caused harm in the making and we don't realize it. I think people should be free to eat what they want...especially when heavy meat eating is part of their culture or something. I'm sure it wasn't easy for you or many people to go vegetarian and now vegan, but everyone is different...it's great that you accomplished it but for other people it might be even harder or some others simply might not be interested.
Like you said no one is perfect, so I like to think that people, even those who eat meat, are helping our environment/planet in other ways that they can. For example not using plastic or fur, or having good habits towards the environment etc. I don't think it's really possible for one person to do everything in the interest of the planet...so I like to believe that even if you eat meat, you can help in other ways :wink:
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby Rihab » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:19 pm

Y'all got any favorite vegan / vegetarian Youtube channels? I mean ones where they cook and share recipes, not film dying animals and ish.
Rihab
Legend

Return to The Lounge