(How) Are you celebrating Christmas?

Moderator: Spartan

Postby KokoCollino » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:42 pm

I consider this a very interesting topic. I'm sure everyone has a different view on the holiday season, and different ways of celebrating/handling it, some may even not celebrate for personal or religious reasons.

I'd like to keep this a very open discussion to share personal experiences and maybe people can find themselves in some other UKMixer's story.

I also think this will show how people define Christmas and what's important to them. Everyone is individual and has different backgrounds and preferences.
I'll find my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby BehindBreakaway » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:48 pm

My Christmas this year is very different to previous years. My dad passed away last year so now I'm living in his house I'll be alone most of the holidays. My husband goes to England to spend it with his family. I'll still see my family on Christmas day and most likely have dinner with them, but it will be different to what we used to do.

I love Christmas. It will officially start in our house after my birthday (23rd Nov) thats when we put decorations up (our excuse is that my partner leaves for England around the 17th December and we have our Christmas the day before he goes so everything is a couple of weeks early lol
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Personal Assistant

Postby menime123 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:45 pm

2 words: Food Coma :lol:
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby Erotica » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:02 pm

Not much, I get my presents and that's mostly it I think, maybe watching Heinz Becker then or so

No special food and so on
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Hugo » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:07 pm

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby stevyy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:45 pm

with my wife Mariah and some fried chicken
stevyy
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:57 pm

@BehindBreakaway
I am sorry for your loss. It is always difficult and heartbreaking to lose family members but the first Christmas/holiday season must be the hardest time. I used to spend Christmas with my godmother and we were very, very close and she passed away 4 years ago and Christmas has been entirely different since then.
I wish you all the best and strength!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JJeffs » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:59 pm

I spent 11 days with family this month (requires a plane ride) so I will not be returning for Christmas this year. I will stay home with my dogs and some friends and do whatever comes to mind.

Ever since I moved to a non-snowy climate, I've lost a lot of my Christmas spirit, honestly.
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby Mainshow » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:08 pm

Actually, I do love the pre-Christmas time, like visiting Christmas markets with friends and family, baking cakes and trying new recipes dedicated to the Christmas season. Playing Christmas tracks and carols on my keyboard (to make my grandmother and parents happy) and it's fun anyway. Listening to Helene Fischer's Christmas album.

Christmas Eve is my favourite day, though, my mother prepares a traditional Polish dish:
Barszcz czerwony (beetroot soup) with Uszka (something like tortellini) stuffed with mushrooms & sauerkraut.

While it's not uncommon to eat Barszcz on other days during the year, it's special on this evening because of the Uszka. It always makes my day. Actually, I can't wait to eat it again after writing about it.

We don't eat anything the whole day (it's a tradition) and we don't eat meat at all. - Of course, we do pray together before enjoyingour meal.

Polish people and my family believe that this day sets the rule for the whole upcoming year. This means that we focus on being nice to each other, staying calm so that we will face peace, tranquillity and love throughout the whole next year.
Also, the place money under each plate so that we won't face money problems or poverty next year.
We also place another plate/knife/spoon, etc. to respect the lost ones and in case, we get an unexpected guest, he or she can join us for dinner.

We have something called "Oblate" (wafer), traditionally sent by my aunt living in Poland. Each family member and guest gets a big piece of it and we share those pieces with all the other people in the room wishing each other luck, health and God's blessing. It should bring peace and reconciliation.
Even our pets do get it <3 - There's a saying that Christmas Eve is the only day on which animals will be able to speak to human beings... oh well, neither my late rabbit nor my dog have ever spoken to me :(

We usually play a board game and watch a movie afterwards.

On the other two Christmas Days, it's basically a food festival with a lot of people we have to visit and vice versa :D
Last edited by Mainshow on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:28 am

Mainshow wrote:@BehindBreakaway
I am sorry for your loss. It is always difficult and heartbreaking to lose family members but the first Christmas/holiday season must be the hardest time. I used to spend Christmas with my godmother and we were very, very close and she passed away 4 years ago and Christmas has been entirely different since then.
I wish you all the best and strength!
Thank you. I really appreciate it. I know the first year without my nan was probably the easiest because we where trying to still make it a special day, but it's different this time. I spose time passes but it never gets easier. I wish the same for you, thank you again xx
BehindBreakaway
Personal Assistant

Postby KokoCollino » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:41 pm

BehindBreakaway wrote:My Christmas this year is very different to previous years. My dad passed away last year so now I'm living in his house I'll be alone most of the holidays. My husband goes to England to spend it with his family. I'll still see my family on Christmas day and most likely have dinner with them, but it will be different to what we used to do.

I love Christmas. It will officially start in our house after my birthday (23rd Nov) thats when we put decorations up (our excuse is that my partner leaves for England around the 17th December and we have our Christmas the day before he goes so everything is a couple of weeks early lol
Hey my dear. Thanks for sharing your story. Why are you alone most of the holidays - is the rest of your family living far away? So it's been the two of you in past years for most of the holidays?

Erotica wrote:Not much, I get my presents and that's mostly it I think, maybe watching Heinz Becker then or so

No special food and so on
We did this for many years as well :lol: I have to say, those were the good years, actually. Are you able to enjoy the time?

Hugo wrote:Image
Totally get you darling. It's just that I started thinking about Christmas as it comes closer, people start to talk about it, festive music is getting released, the supermarkets change etc.

It's quite an ... ambivalent time and topic for me and I'm very interested in people's stories. It just came to my mind and I felt like asking it :)

JJeffs wrote:I spent 11 days with family this month (requires a plane ride) so I will not be returning for Christmas this year. I will stay home with my dogs and some friends and do whatever comes to mind.

Ever since I moved to a non-snowy climate, I've lost a lot of my Christmas spirit, honestly.
I get that ... Here in central Europe, there hasn't been that much snow during Xmas the past years (more so in like March sometimes) ... Sounds like you're pretty comfortable and not feeling lonely though?

Mainshow wrote:Polish people and my family believe that this day sets the rule for the whole upcoming year. This means that we focus on being nice to each other, staying calm so that we will face peace, tranquillity and love throughout the whole next year.
Love this :D
I'll find my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby Goldmoney » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:48 pm

Sleep
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:14 pm

KokoCollino wrote:
BehindBreakaway wrote:My Christmas this year is very different to previous years. My dad passed away last year so now I'm living in his house I'll be alone most of the holidays. My husband goes to England to spend it with his family. I'll still see my family on Christmas day and most likely have dinner with them, but it will be different to what we used to do.

Hey my dear. Thanks for sharing your story. Why are you alone most of the holidays - is the rest of your family living far away? So it's been the two of you in past years for most of the holidays?

Hi sorry I should have been more specific. I get the past 2 years my nan and dad both passed away and they where a huge part of Christmas for me. We would get up Christmas morning and go to my nans and spend time with them. Then we would go to my dads and open presents and have dinner. I also used to stay in my mum's Christmas ever, but she had to move to a smaller house so there's no room for me. As well as that since my nan passedaway my granda goes away over Christmas because it was my nans favourite time of the year.

My partner and I lived in England up until July of last year. He goes to spend Christmas with his family around d the 17th of December. I'm disabled so I can't really get out very much so most of the holiday is spent in my flat alone with my cats. I see my mum and sisters Christmas day but it's not the same. Most of it I just spend alone. I suppose it's a bit sad but there's nothing I can really do about it.

Sorry if this is confusing. It takes me a while to type things and I get lost halfway through :)
BehindBreakaway
Personal Assistant

Postby KokoCollino » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:54 pm

^ Hey thanks for taking the time to explain a bit more :)

I realize you got through a lot the past years, especially since Christmas means a lot to you. May I ask - and only if you wish to talk about it - how is your relationship to your mum?

I think you definitely should have the right to feel sad during the holidays - because you connect it so much with your nan and your dad. So of course you will get emotional, but that only shows how much they meant to you. And being able to feel love for someone is a gift.

But please be careful and don't "be sad because it's sad your alone during Christmas". I think it's difficult that the society created this social norm à la "the Christmas holidays need to be perfect and when you're alone it's very sad". It just pushes pressure on people. I guess that's one reason why I created this thread.
I'll find my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby BehindBreakaway » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:55 pm

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I'm close to my mum, but not as close as we used to be. She doesn't live close enough for me to just go over for a cup of tea unfortunately. I suppose it's just finding a new way to celebrate Christmas. I'm very grateful for the love and support I have around me so I'm thankful for that. It's also been nice talking to people on here. Thank you again, your kind words mean a lot xx
BehindBreakaway
Personal Assistant

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:56 pm

Resting.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:24 am

With family, traditional, we get together, lots of food, presents and openings :D
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby DOSSOME » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:42 am

Nursing a Christmas Eve hangover
Errr...Nice attempt but sit anyway
DOSSOME
Superstar

Postby Serby » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:39 pm

Well, in Serbia we use old church calendar, so Xmas eve is 6th of January (also my bday) and Xmas itself on 7th of Jan, 24/25th Dec means nada to us. :lol: On the 6th, everyone is fasting (basically hugeee vegan+fish type of food, no other animal products allowed) and on 7th it's tradionally very meaty and there's a special homemade bread with a coin inside, so we break the bread and the one who gets the coin is supposed to have a good year moneywise. Also, we never did any presents nor I think people do it at all in Serbia (but maybe it's different in other parts of the country and nowadays?).

Now, since living in Vienna, my best friend is from PT and Xmas dinner and presents are super important to her (in a non-religious way tho), so I kinda started doing it the western way and went with it. I kinda like it tbh, but in general, Xmas doesn't mean much to me as in Serbia it's more of a religious, tradiotional thing as opposed to 'west' where it is a big present season etc. Also, Xmas is about family gatherings I guess, but in our culture, you visit cousins very often, so it's not like it's a day to meet family members you normally never meet, plus it's a rather the core family that's gathering and not other people coming over. Again, my family and most of the people I know. Would like to know other Serbian's stories.
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Colbie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:07 pm

I celebrate it with my family, having diner together, and going to church!
Plus i always watch All You Need Is Love, Dutch tv program on christmas-eve!
We dont do gifts, since we already celebrate Sinterklaas on the fifth of december with gifts
Mic Mic Bungee
Colbie
Superstar

Return to The Lounge