Theatre

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

Postby heppolo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:26 pm

Is there anyone who enjoys going to the theatre these days?
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:28 pm

Out of interest, how do y'all pronounce Theatre? :lol:

I *hate* it when people pronounce it as "Thee-ate-er".

I haven't been to see anything in years - would love to see either Priscilla or Lion King live though!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby heppolo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:36 pm

Wayne wrote:I *hate* it when people pronounce it as "Thee-ate-er".
Mine is "Thee-ee-ter'' :lol: (that's the russian accent for you)

I am going to the local Drama theatre sometimes (featuring some of the most obscure actors in the world :) ).
heppolo
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:55 pm

heppolo wrote:

I am going to the local Drama theatre sometimes (featuring some of the most obscure actors in the world :) ).
wait you're Russian? :o

What I dont like is how people spell it either theater or theatre :lol:
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby DnBLover » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:57 pm

I went yesterday, it was hilarious.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:59 pm

Wait did you mean a movie theater or like a drama kind of live thing? :lol:
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby DnBLover » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:03 pm

MusicRecords wrote:Wait did you mean a movie theater or like a drama kind of live thing? :lol:
Live theatre.

It was a really out of the box play whose theme was love. As if the actors were confessing their own personal experiences and issues.. By the middle of the play though it was just about sex, all kinds of sex. And it was so good, really innovative, fresh and overall hilarious.
DnBLover
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:08 pm

DnBLover wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:Wait did you mean a movie theater or like a drama kind of live thing? :lol:
Live theatre.

It was a really out of the box play whose theme was love. As if the actors were confessing their own personal experiences and issues.. By the middle of the play though it was just about sex, all kinds of sex. And it was so good, really innovative, fresh and overall hilarious.
Sounds interesting!

I still remember my first off the beaten path off-off-Broadway play I went to see....there was only like 50 people in the room but the play was nicely produced, and I was so shocked when the actos had a sex scene and literally got butt naked :lol: :lol:
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby DnBLover » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:10 pm

Yes this was an intimate setting too, which is the only way these kinds of plays work, imo. I much prefer them to big productions on huge theatres, those are most definitely not my thing.
DnBLover
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:11 pm

One of my favourite places in the world to be (after my bed). I try and go as much as I can but it’s bloody expensive.
Spartan
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:12 pm

MusicRecords wrote:
heppolo wrote:

I am from Belarus, but I do speak Russian mostly during the day
heppolo
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:13 pm

heppolo wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:
heppolo wrote:

I am from Belarus, but I do speak Russian mostly during the day
oh cool! ive always wanted to learn Russian and might take a course after I master German :wink:
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby menime123 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:05 am

I adore it. I go and see something almost every week on the west end. Luckily I live in London :lol:

This week’s adventure was a trip to see Hamilton. It’s very, very good, but incredibly overhyped at the same time. Still, I’m enjoying listening to the cast recording (I don’t listen before I see a show).

Out of curiosity, does anyone listen to cast recordings? A lot of musicals are written as pop songs nowadays, and I find a lot of good pop music this way now.

Last year was an amazing year in British theatre - my favourite moments were attending the very first preview of Harry Potter and The Cursed Child and seeing Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard. 2017 has been relatively quiet in comparison imo, but 2018 looks amazing so far.

My all time favourite shows are Wicked (musical), which I’ve seen nearly 40 times, and The Rise and Fall of Little Voice (play). Very close seconds are Book of Mormon (musical) and Harry Potter (which I’ve seen 8 times in 18 months).
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby heppolo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:41 am

There is some sort of a theatre scene here in Belarus, we have Opera theatre, National Drama Theatre and Republican Theatre of Belarusian Drama.
Our drama is less post-modern and more classical,The plays of Chekhov and Tolstoy are featured primarily (The Power Of Darkness).
heppolo
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:52 pm

heppolo wrote:There is some sort of a theatre scene here in Belarus, we have Opera theatre, National Drama Theatre and Republican Theatre of Belarusian Drama.
Our drama is less post-modern and more classical,The plays of Chekhov and Tolstoy are featured primarily (The Power Of Darkness).
We get those in London often too. Uncle Vanya never goes out of style!
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby heppolo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:31 pm

menime123 wrote:
heppolo wrote:There is some sort of a theatre scene here in Belarus, we have Opera theatre, National Drama Theatre and Republican Theatre of Belarusian Drama.
We get those in London often too. Uncle Vanya never goes out of style!
Yes, the longevity of those plays is pretty impressive.
heppolo
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:30 pm

menime123 wrote:I adore it. I go and see something almost every week on the west end. Luckily I live in London :lol:

This week’s adventure was a trip to see Hamilton. It’s very, very good, but incredibly overhyped at the same time. Still, I’m enjoying listening to the cast recording (I don’t listen before I see a show).

Out of curiosity, does anyone listen to cast recordings? A lot of musicals are written as pop songs nowadays, and I find a lot of good pop music this way now.

Last year was an amazing year in British theatre - my favourite moments were attending the very first preview of Harry Potter and The Cursed Child and seeing Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard. 2017 has been relatively quiet in comparison imo, but 2018 looks amazing so far.

My all time favourite shows are Wicked (musical), which I’ve seen nearly 40 times, and The Rise and Fall of Little Voice (play). Very close seconds are Book of Mormon (musical) and Harry Potter (which I’ve seen 8 times in 18 months).
And I thought I’d seen Wicked a lot (8 times). If I had the money I’d go more often. I’d love to see Hamilton but I think it’s much more geared toward Americans. When I go to the US next year I’m hoping to see Dear Evan Hansen.

Book Of Mormon was amazing. My favourite musical comedy since Avenue Q.

I can’t wait to see Company next year. It’s my favourite musical (I’ve watch stage renditions but never seen it live) and Patti LuPone is in it!
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:51 pm

Spartan wrote:
menime123 wrote:I adore it. I go and see something almost every week on the west end. Luckily I live in London :lol:

And I thought I’d seen Wicked a lot (8 times). If I had the money I’d go more often. I’d love to see Hamilton but I think it’s much more geared toward Americans. When I go to the US next year I’m hoping to see Dear Evan Hansen.

Book Of Mormon was amazing. My favourite musical comedy since Avenue Q.

I can’t wait to see Company next year. It’s my favourite musical (I’ve watch stage renditions but never seen it live) and Patti LuPone is in it!
I’m all booked for Company - cannot wait to see Patti in a show. I caught her one woman show a years ago which was fun (the piano broke, had to carried out through the audience) but to see her doing what she does is a huge deal for me.

I’m a huge Wicked fan - my dream is to go once a month for a whole year, but I cannot quite bring myself to do it (I tried and managed 3 consecutive months).

I’ve been listening to the cast album of Dear Evan Hansen and by god it’s something else. My rule is to avoid all cast recording before seeing a show, but in October I slipped up and in my need for something new, decided to give this a go. I listened to it twice then had to google a bootleg. It’s rumoured to be coming to the UK next year, so I’m praying Ben Platt can be tempted back for a short stint.

Other cast recordings I discovered were Hello Dolly (I can’t get it out of my head), Sunday In The Park With George (Jake Gylenhaal makes my heart melt singing Finishing The Hat) but my favourite recent discover is Come From Aways - it’s a 1 act music sung over 1 hour and tells the true story of planes grounded in Canada (with 7000 passengers) on 9/11. I listened to it during my lunch hour solid for a whole month.

So I’m desperate for those 3 to come to London next year too :lol:

I’ve a few shows booked for 2018 actually, but can I hell remember what they are aside from Company. I know I want to see The Woman In White revival, the Hair revival and I know I’m booked to see Captain Sexy Poldark in something at some point too :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:52 pm

I’m telling ya, JT needs to watch out <3

NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:07 pm

Jake Gyllenhall sounded amazing in Sunday In The Park With George, nearly as good as Mandy Patinkin. I’ve always had a strange relationship with that musical, the second act kinda throws me but I adore the soundtrack. Sunday (the song) is one of the best theatre songs ever created. Check out the BBC Proms version (with EastEnders’ Jenna Russell) and I get tears at the climax of that.

Other than that, I adore Sondheim. Some of he music he creates is just incomparable. Into The Woods is another one of my favourites. I quite like the film version but it wasn’t executed as well as I’d hoped.

Ben Platt is brilliant, it seems like the role was almost created for him. I also adore Laura Dreyfus (plays Zoe) from Glee, great to see her do well.

People ask me if I get bored of seeing Wicked and I really don’t. I cry every single time I see it. The theatre really lights up during that production, more than any other musical I’ve seen.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:08 pm

Spartan wrote:My favourite musical comedy since Avenue Q.
So you know what everyone is, and what the internet is for then :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:12 pm

menime123 wrote:
Yes they are and yes it is. I also have a B.A. in English and have been wondering what to do with it. :lol:
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:17 pm

Spartan wrote:Jake Gyllenhall sounded amazing in Sunday In The Park With George, nearly as good as Mandy Patinkin. I’ve always had a strange relationship with that musical, the second act kinda throws me but I adore the soundtrack. Sunday (the song) is one of the best theatre songs ever created. Check out the BBC Proms version (with EastEnders’ Jenna Russell) and I get tears at the climax of that.

Other than that, I adore Sondheim. Some of he music he creates is just incomparable. Into The Woods is another one of my favourites. I quite like the film version but it wasn’t executed as well as I’d hoped.

Ben Platt is brilliant, it seems like the role was almost created for him. I also adore Laura Dreyfus (plays Zoe) from Glee, great to see her do well.

People ask me if I get bored of seeing Wicked and I really don’t. I cry every single time I see it. The theatre really lights up during that production, more than any other musical I’ve seen.
With Wicked, I’m the tiniest bit bored simply because I could act the damn thing (if only I could sing it...). I’ve seen it once this year, so I’ve had a relative good break from it :lol:

I have a strange relationship with Sondheim. Sometimes I think he’s absolutely brilliant and a genius (Gypsy, Sweeney, Sunday), but I hated Merrily We Roll Along (which had Jenna Russell in it), disliked Into The Woods (based on film though - too repetitive) and was rather indifferent to Roadshow and the recent Follies revival (gorgeous production though and very happy to see ‘I’m Still Here’ in context as it’s one of my favourite theatre songs).

So I don’t know what to expect from Company - but I do love The Ladies Who Lunch. How I wish I’d been able to see Elaine Stritch perform it. But I agree, Sunday is an amazing song. I saw a video once where Sondheim was almost in tears hearing it performed - very moving. When he gets it right, he gets it right.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:18 pm

Spartan wrote:
menime123 wrote:
Yes they are and yes it is. I also have a B.A. in English and have been wondering what to do with it. :lol:
Whatever you do, don’t mix it with cabaret sluts :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:24 pm

The full stage production of Into The Woods (with Bernadette Peters) is on YouTube, I advise watching it. I understand why you think it’s repetitive. I mean m, how many times can they say “into the Woods” in one musical.

I’m Still Here is brilliant as a song, I’ve only heard it in Glee though but it’s brilliant. I’ll happily just watch YouTube clips of Sondheim songs being performed by the likes of Peters and LuPone. Audra McDonald does a great rendition of The Glamorous Life too.

Though I love Ladies Who Lunch, I can’t wait to see Getting Married Today live, such a tricky patter song to song.
Spartan
Legend

Return to The Lounge