Theatre

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

Postby menime123 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:36 pm

This, by far (and second only to Patti singing ‘ladies Who Lunch’ in the same show) is why it’s my favourite Sondheim song. I believe every single world, and what a voice for a 85 year old!)

NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:41 pm

Apparently Elaine was alright diva in the original Broadway production but a cracking voice. That’s the concert I was on about with Audra McDonald. I think the rendition of Sunday that you mentioned was also in that concert. Other highlights are Donna Murphy singing Could I Leave You from Follies, Chip Zein and Joanna Gleason singing It Takes Two and Patti LuPone’s A Little Priest.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:04 pm

Spartan wrote:Apparently Elaine was alright diva in the original Broadway production but a cracking voice. That’s the concert I was on about with Audra McDonald. I think the rendition of Sunday that you mentioned was also in that concert. Other highlights are Donna Murphy singing Could I Leave You from Follies, Chip Zein and Joanna Gleason singing It Takes Two and Patti LuPone’s A Little Priest.
She did a documentary about herself just before she died and she was still an absolutely fabulous diva :lol:

She was an alcoholic, but in her documentary boldly claims at her time of life she’s going to enjoy a drink a day. Such an odd NYC eccentric, but still holding it (almost) together at the end. She performed in the White House ‘I’m Still Here’ with the Obamas front and centre, and just forgets her words completely - but she stumbles on in all kinds of amazingness. If I’m old and alone and rich at her age, I wanna be like her :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:05 pm

And I’m totally YouTubing Sondheim now - I just watched the full Sunday performance at the Proms... when they get to the whole ‘Sun-DAY’ bit I swear I melt inside every time.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:19 pm

menime123 wrote:And I’m totally YouTubing Sondheim now - I just watched the full Sunday performance at the Proms... when they get to the whole ‘Sun-DAY’ bit I swear I melt inside every time.
It’s the looks of sheer elation on the composer as well, as if he’s just had an orgasm.

A musical I’ve never seen which I need to is Les Mis. One Day More is sheer epic.

I feel like I should see more non-musicals though. I saw Apologia last month with Stockard Channing and Freema Agyeman and completely loved it.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Wayne » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:29 pm

menime123 wrote:This, by far (and second only to Patti singing ‘ladies Who Lunch’ in the same show) is why it’s my favourite Sondheim song. I believe every single world, and what a voice for a 85 year old!)

Loved this! And the Patti song as well, completely engaging.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby heppolo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:36 pm

Spartan wrote:
menime123 wrote:And I’m totally YouTubing Sondheim now - I just watched the full Sunday performance at the Proms... when they get to the whole ‘Sun-DAY’ bit I swear I melt inside every time.
It’s the looks of sheer elation on the composer as well, as if he’s just had an orgasm.

A musical I’ve never seen which I need to is Les Mis. One Day More is sheer epic.
You guys are lucky to have a possibility to enjoy the musicals, which our theatres prefer not to stage (for obvious reasons)
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby menime123 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:04 am

My 3rd favourite Sondheim song is ‘Send In The Clowns’ from A Little Night Music.

This performance of the song is a masterclass in acting - Judi Dench is just sat on a chair surrounded by an orchestra in front of a crowd of thousands (and broadcast live on TV to thousands more). She never moves, never once takes her hands out of her lap, but performs the song with only her face and her voice:

Watch her face at the end - she’s absolute headtbroken, but you actually see the moment she stops acting and you realise just how amazing she truly is. Our absolute finest actress.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:14 am

One of my all time favourite musical is My Fair Lady. Audrey Hepburn was wonderful in the movie version, but Julie Andrews originated the role on stage. Julie wasn’t famous enough to be in the movie (this was before Mary Poppins). Anyway, decades later some shady doctors destroyed her vocal cords during a botched operation in the 1990s, and Julie as been unable to sing live ever since.

A few years ago, this happened:

The audience reaction is everything. They first applaud her for reciting a line from the role, then they realise what they’re hearing, then they hear it again and they all turn into fan girls. I’d be exactly the same :lol:

During the pause in the song, you can see Michael Crawford is actually crying because of how amazing a moment it is. I’ve seen him interviewed about it and he calls it the best stage experience of his life.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby heppolo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:17 am

menime123 wrote:My 3rd favourite Sondheim song is ‘Send In The Clowns’ from A Little Night Music.
"Send In The Clowns" is my absolute fave from "A Little Night Music"
heppolo
Legend

Postby Spartan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:00 pm

Beautiful rendition by Dame Dench there. I’d happily argue with someone that Sondheim is the greatest lyricist of all-time.

One of my personal favourites:

“Just remembering you've had an "and" when you're back to "or”, makes the "or" mean more than it did before.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 am

My tickets arrived for Chess the other day, so there’s one show I’ve booked for but not remembered about :lol:

My current obsession is the Hamilton cast recording. I wasn’t hugely impresse by it in person, but growing to love it by listening to this.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby heppolo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:03 pm

menime123 wrote:My tickets arrived for Chess the other day, so there’s one show I’ve booked for but not remembered about :lol:
Chess should be awesome. Have you checked the cast?
heppolo
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:17 pm

heppolo wrote:
menime123 wrote:My tickets arrived for Chess the other day, so there’s one show I’ve booked for but not remembered about :lol:
Casting hasn’t been announced?
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby heppolo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:14 pm

menime123 wrote:
heppolo wrote:
Casting hasn’t been announced?
I only remember this from Oct 27, 2017 (but currently is Dec 14)
broadway.com wrote:Casting for the West End revival of Chess will be announced at a later date.
heppolo
Legend

Postby Spartan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:22 pm

menime123, who was your favourite Elphaba? Mine was Rachel Tucker, what a voice!

Really wanna go see Wicked again soon as I love Sophie Evans.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:49 pm

Spartan wrote:menime123, who was your favourite Elphaba? Mine was Eachek tucker, what a voice!

Really wanna go see Wicked again soon as I love Sophie Evans.
Rachel Tucker, every single time. That woman can sing but boy can she act. I love how angry her Elphaba is at the world. I don’t mind the current lead, but I saw her when she was an understudy and there’s very little in the cast at the moment that excites me. Wicked needs new blood.

My original Elphaba was Kerry Ellis, and I was lucky enough to return to see her perform in her return stint a few years ago. She might not be an amazing actress (although seems to be trying to change that at the moment) but there’s no denying the impact of that voice.

I missed seeing Idina in the role by a matter of days. I wasn’t a theatre fan back then so it didn’t bother me, but it sure as hell is a shame now I’m such a big fan. But, I’ve seen her in concert and she sings most of the big solo songs, and I’ve seen Kristin doing Popular and For Good (with Kerry Ellis no less) so I’m at least content :lol:

I’m scared for the movie though, as I think it’s going to require a lot of big changes - certain songs like Popular, aren’t going to work and will need to become montage scenes, and I don’t think it would work without Dorothy featuring - in a movie, the audience shouldn’t be left having to fill in the blanks as to what has happened (like ending up under the trap door). The movie need to tell the full story (even from Elphaba’s point of view) and that means certain things need adding.

But I look forward to a new song (for the Oscar win) - a song between Defying Gravity and Thank Goodness would be a great spot, as they sort of gloss over the intervening years.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:06 pm

I saw Kristin doing For Good with Rachel Tucker at the Palladium last month - amazing.

Yeah, I’m not 100% certain how a film version would work. The casting needs to be spot on with strong voices. Thank Goodness is so underrated, “there are bridges bridges you cross you didn’t know you crossed until you’ve crossed” is a gem of a line.
Spartan
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:40 pm

I think I'm finally gonna watch Hamilton on broadway...
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby Spartan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:05 pm

MusicRecords wrote:I think I'm finally gonna watch Hamilton on broadway...
I’d go when I’m in the US next year but I don’t have a spare $300. I don’t think Hamilton will succeed as much in the UK as it has in the US, it’s a very “American” show.
Spartan
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:12 pm

Dear Evan Hansen is the best musical of recent years. Y'all need to see it asap.

Here is a clip of the former lead actor performing the best song from it on TV:

stevyy
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:18 pm

He left the show a couple of weeks ago, been taken over by Noah Galvin (The Real O’Neals). I’ve heard a few songs from Dear Evan Hansen and they’re so lovely (Only us, Waving Through A Window, You Will Be Found).
Spartan
Legend

Postby heppolo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:06 pm

That's a great experience, I hope you'll tell us about it later
heppolo
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:31 pm

Spartan wrote:
I’d go when I’m in the US next year but I don’t have a spare $300. I don’t think Hamilton will succeed as much in the UK as it has in the US, it’s a very “American” show.
I saw the 3rd London preview and it was like a Little Mix show, with cheering and screaming after every song. It’s sold out it’s initial run so extension periods are going to be very popular. But I believe the buzz will die down quickly here.

There’s pretty good bootlegs on YouTube too...
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:32 pm

stevyy wrote:Dear Evan Hansen is the best musical of recent years. Y'all need to see it asap.

Here is a clip of the former lead actor performing the best song from it on TV:

I really hope he brings it to the UK after his solo album is done with. My favourite is ‘Waving Through a Window’. I became obsessed with the album a few weeks ago and watched a bootleg... it’s a pretty good show. I cringe and identify with Evan constantly.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Return to The Lounge