Theatre

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

Postby Wayne » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:50 pm

menime123 wrote:My 3rd favourite Sondheim song is ‘Send In The Clowns’ from A Little Night Music.

This performance of the song is a masterclass in acting - Judi Dench is just sat on a chair surrounded by an orchestra in front of a crowd of thousands (and broadcast live on TV to thousands more). She never moves, never once takes her hands out of her lap, but performs the song with only her face and her voice:

Watch her face at the end - she’s absolute headtbroken, but you actually see the moment she stops acting and you realise just how amazing she truly is. Our absolute finest actress.
How are they not standing for that performance? I've never seen this before, and I just wanted it to go on and on - it was mesmerising. God bless Dame Judi.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Spartan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:31 am

I went to go see Everybody’s Talking About Jamie the other week. I wouldn’t have thought it would have been my cup of tea but it was largely brilliant. Soundtrack is immense, modern and refreshing.

I didn’t realise The King & I was back in the West End, I’m gonna have to go see that at some point - mainly because Naoko Mori is in it.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:26 am

I’m desperate to see TK&I - Stupid prices though. TodayTix is doing £25 rush tickets that appear to be unsold £150 premium seats, so if you’re going, try that avenue.

I love theatre, but I’m on a break atm. I haven’t been at all this year.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:35 am

Break to save money or just a break? Going to the theatre always sets me back a fair bit, I wish it were more accessible for everyone. Please tell me you’re seeing Company when it comes out in September.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:25 am

Spartan wrote:Break to save money or just a break? Going to the theatre always sets me back a fair bit, I wish it were more accessible for everyone. Please tell me you’re seeing Company when it comes out in September.
A break because I just CBA :lol:

I go (well, went) once a week minimum for the last few years and coupled with a health issue, I fell out with it a bit - the last thing I saw was Hamilton back in December.

Anyway, I’ve got a parental visit in 2 weeks so I’m booking to go see Mormon (4th visit) and The King and I. I want to see Orlando Bloom in Killer Joe too... I hear he’s naked but it’s for cultural purposes, I swear :lol:

In terms of cost, I hardly ever spend more than £25 a ticket (Mormon is £35, but it’s worth it). I refuse to spend more - theatre is great, but there’s no need to spend much more than £25 - and mostly that gets me a great stalls seat.

I mean, if you’re flexible even Harry Potter tickets in the first few rows of the stalls can be found for £20 a part nowadays, and TodayTix is amazing for a bargain - I plan on getting rush tickets for £25 to The King & I as I refuse to pay their actual prices.

Are you not a member of one of the seat filling websites? I get tickets for £3.50. Mostly fringe stuff, but enough west end stuff (and o2 shows) pop on it to make it worth joining - I saw Kristin Chenoweth for £3.50 :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:29 am

Oh, and yes I am booked to see Company (£25 dress slip) and The Lieutenant of Inishmore (£10 stalls) in August/September. I want to see Ian McKellen’s King Lear but the prices are crazy and I’ve still not seen Dreamgirls. I really want to see Fun Home at the Young Vic and I can’t wait for Come From Aways to start at the Phoenix - it’s one of my favourite cast recordings.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:35 am

I hadn’t heard of TodayTix until you mentioned it so I will check that out. It makes sense that if you go often, you’d need to get them cheap. I normally end up paying £60 for a ticket.

Was the Cheno concert the one in the Palladium last year? I was there too, I paid considerably more than £3.50.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:48 am

Spartan wrote:I hadn’t heard of TodayTix until you mentioned it so I will check that out. It makes sense that if you go often, you’d need to get them cheap. I normally end up paying £60 for a ticket.

Was the Cheno concert the one in the Palladium last year? I was there too, I paid considerably more than £3.50.
No, the one before at the Royal Albert Hall.

TodayTix is an app - they go ‘Rush Tickets’ which are usually £25 on the day of the show, and run daily lotteries - usually for £10/£15 front row seats. I used to queue up outside a theatre for 3 hours on a morning to buy day seats, but this is much easier.

The seat filling website I use to http://www.theaudienceclub.com - you get free membership I think to begin with and need to see so many shows to get full membership, which is £25 a year, then £3.50 a ticket. So usually if you see one west end show on it, you’ve saved. West end shows aren’t guaranteed though - it’s usually when a show is dying a slow death that they end up on it. I know they had Mowtown on it recently, and that Quiz play, but previously I’ve seen The Bodyguard, We Will Rock You, Sunny Afternoon etc.

Never ever pay £60! Unless you have a specific date and time and a need to book in advance. Otherwise don’t and ask - almost every show has discounts somewhere.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:54 am

Yeah sometimes it is a pre-arranged thing with friends so we gotta kind of pay more to guarantee good seats. Thanks mate, I’ll try doing Rush tickets when I’m back from my holiday to see The King and I.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:31 am

Just booked tickets to see Jeremy Jordan in September. The fan boy in me is thrilled AF :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:01 am

Off to see The King & I tonight :D
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby heppolo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:30 am

menime123 wrote:Off to see The King & I tonight :D
That's simply awesome 8-)
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby menime123 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:26 am

heppolo wrote:
It better be. £25 front row. Bargain 8-)
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:56 pm

menime123 wrote:
heppolo wrote:
It better be. £25 front row. Bargain 8-)
Where did you get them from in the end?
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:04 pm

Today Tix App.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:13 pm

menime123 wrote:Today Tix App.
Excellent. I’ve downloaded the app so may go tomorrow to the matinee.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:50 pm

Spartan wrote:
menime123 wrote:Today Tix App.
Excellent. I’ve downloaded the app so may go tomorrow to the matinee.
Do - it’s amazing. We were bang in the middle of the front row. That O’Hara woman makes singing look so freaking easy, as if it’s not even a challenge.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:05 am

Done it. Seat A7 in the stalls for £22, absolute bargain.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:29 am

Spartan wrote:Done it. Seat A7 in the stalls for £22, absolute bargain.
Have fun :D

I’m off to see Book of Mormon this afternoon. I just hope the mother appreciates it... she’s not a God fearing woman thankfully :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:36 am

I feel like people would either love Book of Mormon or just not appreciate it in the slightest.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:38 pm

Wow. That was one of the best musicals I’ve ever seen, I haven’t even seen the film so had no idea what to expect. The whole cast were fantastic, especially O’Hara and Watanabe as the leads, so funny and charming. Shout out to my girl Naoko whom I simply love it anything but I didn’t realise she could sing that well until now. I’d only ever seen her in clips from Avenue Q and this was much more demanding.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:27 pm

Spartan wrote:Wow. That was one of the best musicals I’ve ever seen, I haven’t even seen the film so had no idea what to expect. The whole cast were fantastic, especially O’Hara and Watanabe as the leads, so funny and charming. Shout out to my girl Naoko whom I simply love it anything but I didn’t realise she could sing that well until now. I’d only ever seen her in clips from Avenue Q and this was much more demanding.
I can’t find a single fault with it. It will never be my favourite musical but I appreciate the chance to see some amazing performers making the effort to come to the UK, to perform such a classic in such an historic venue.

But I love being so close the actors... you feel right up in amongst it all. Glad to have ticked another R&H musical off the list though :D
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:30 pm

Spartan wrote:I feel like people would either love Book of Mormon or just not appreciate it in the slightest.
I agree, but I love it. Thankfully so did the Mother. But then some bright sod made her remember we were around the corner from Oxford Street so we ended up handbag shopping after... ah well, hasa diga eebowai.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:28 pm

menime123 wrote:
Spartan wrote:I feel like people would either love Book of Mormon or just not appreciate it in the slightest.
I agree, but I love it. Thankfully so did the Mother. But then some bright sod made her remember we were around the corner from Oxford Street so we ended up handbag shopping after... ah well, hasa diga eebowai.
It felt weird that we were so close to each other this afternoon. I would’ve love to have met your Mum. :lol: Gald she enjoyed BoM.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:20 pm

Spartan wrote:
menime123 wrote:
It felt weird that we were so close to each other this afternoon. I would’ve love to have met your Mum. :lol: Gald she enjoyed BoM.
I know, you were quite literally only around the corner (and up the street a bit). I did see people coming away from the Palladium with programmes and thought anyone of them could have been you :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Return to The Lounge