Resigning from a Job - need advice

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

Postby SmartIsNewSexy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:27 am

Hello UKMIX family

I love my job. But i hate my boss.
I have endlessly tried to make things work with my boss, for the good of the department and the patients. But she won't compromise. Instead she insists on making things more complicated and dumping more work and responsibility on me.
It has reached a point where the stress has taken its toll and now my health is affected.

As a doctor, i have a responsibility to my patients. However, at the same time I need to take care of myself.

Anyone have any advice on how to deal with a horrible boss.
As well as any advice on my situation
"Music starts with M and ends with C"

Mariah Carey
SmartIsNewSexy
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:36 am

You should see a doctor yourself, and maybe get signed off sick with stress. Are you a member of a tribunal?

Also, does she have a senior? Maybe you could drop them an email and explain how you're feeling.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby DOSSOME » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:08 am

Wait, you're a doctor SINS? :o
DOSSOME
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:14 am

DOSSOME wrote:Wait, you're a doctor SINS? :o
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby Guru » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:20 am

SmartIsNewSexy wrote:Hello UKMIX family

I have endlessly tried to make things work with my boss, for the good of the department and the patients. But she won't compromise. Instead she insists on making things more complicated and dumping more work and responsibility on me.
It has reached a point where the stress has taken its toll and now my health is affected.

As a doctor, i have a responsibility to my patients. However, at the same time I need to take care of myself.

You come first. If you ar not fine, then you are compromising the patients that you are treating. Do what you must. Perhaps speak to her and she will insist what is doing is right but then Immediately Take it to her manager. Else resign. But don’t resign because of her and what she is doing. Resign because her manager might agree with what she is doing.
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby maroon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:29 pm

Definitely speak to her manager if talking to her didn't work. Good luck!
maroon
Superstar

Location: Amsterdam (NL) / Gijón (ES) / Rzeszów (PL) / Brno (CZ) / Cork (IE)

Postby Wayne » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:12 pm

I would definitely not encourage resignation, unless you have something else to walk into.

What country are you from, SINS?

Based on the brief information in your posts, I would encourage you to work within your organisation's existing discipline and grievance policies, if you feel as though you are unable to resolve your issues informally, then lodge a formal grievance (outlining the points you feel aggrieved by) and send to your line manager's manager.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby menime123 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:47 pm

Never quit a job you love, especially one you’ve spent a long time training for.

I find communication is always key. You have to have a formal meeting with your boss and explain your grievances. At the end of they day they need you and if you are struggling to meet their current demands then it’s them that needs to help you achieve their expectations. Ask for help - a boss cannot task you with the impossible and is there to help you achieve their expectations.

I appreciate that as a doctor nothing can be sidelined. I know a social worker who - based on government guidelines - should have no more than 20 cases at any one time. Yet because of staff sickness and an excess of referrals they are currently coping with 35 cases. They can’t control the volume of referrals and if there is no budget for more staff then there is no budget. I assume it’s the same where you work in that if someone needs a doctor then they need a doctor, and you have to deal with everything (such as paperwork) that comes with it.

You mention that she is uncompromising so therefore I assume you’re stuck with the workload. If you disagree entirely with it entirely and your boss is unable to produce mechanisms that help you achieve their expectations (and it’s documented that you have asked) then log a formal complaint with HR. You’ll be no worse off and might get the help you need.

To play devils advocate - you have to also ask why you can’t do what they are asking you. If it’s because you don’t want to do it as oppose to just not having the time, then that’s your own issue to overcome unfortunately.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby GetBack » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:52 am

Is there any way for you to transfer to another boss without resigning?

It's so easy to quit but when you really love your job, it's harder to find another career that will make you feel happy.
GetBack
Legend

Postby greek_boy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:49 pm

If you love your job and working environment (apart from the boss) then try to make it work by speaking directly to her or her/your manager.

Have you tried talking about it with your colleagues and have you heard what others think of her?
greek_boy
Legend

Postby RayRay » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:19 pm

I would look around for a job somewhere else. Keep this one till you find something else and then resign. Good luck!
RayRay
Legend

Postby aRat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:19 pm

search for a new job in your field and when you get an offer that seems acceptable then resign the current job. It shouldn't be hard at all to find a new job as an experienced doctor.
jochen on meeting famous ppl wrote:Janet (very hairy woman)
Beyonce (she was ugly)
aRat
Manager

Postby aRat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:25 pm

GetBack wrote:Is there any way for you to transfer to another boss without resigning?

It's so easy to quit but when you really love your job, it's harder to find another career that will make you feel happy.
Huh? He would just transfer from one clinic to another, it's not like he is giving up his career as a doctor by quiting his current job. :lol:

Transfering jobs is like one of the most common things ever.
jochen on meeting famous ppl wrote:Janet (very hairy woman)
Beyonce (she was ugly)
aRat
Manager

Postby RayRay » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:39 pm

SmartIsNewSexy wrote:Hello UKMIX family

So how are you doing now?
RayRay
Legend

Return to The Lounge