Living in a foreign country

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

Postby flopho » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:56 am

It was more the surroundings (of the track) than the stations, but you're right, obvs I can't judge everything from looking outside a train window. And yeah Düsseldorf, etc. are def modern too.
The infrastructure condition thing is so true and it's the same damn thing here, thank you Deutsche Bahn :x

Speaking of neat, I also remember walking around a small town called Bloemendaal in NED and all the paths/pavements with its flowers and all seemed soo neat and kempt and what not, like I genuinely never seen something like that in Germany :lol: wonder if it's like that everywhere in the Netherlands lol
¡Eh, mamá!
Me quiero matar
El mundo se va a la mierda
Y no he hecho nada
flopho
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:04 am

flopho wrote:It was more the surroundings (of the track) than the stations, but you're right, obvs I can't judge everything from looking outside a train window. And yeah Düsseldorf, etc. are def modern too.
The infrastructure condition thing is so true and it's the same damn thing here, thank you Deutsche Bahn :x

Speaking of neat, I also remember walking around a small town called Bloemendaal in NED and all the paths/pavements with its flowers and all seemed soo neat and kempt and what not, like I genuinely never seen something like that in Germany :lol: wonder if it's like that everywhere in the Netherlands lol
You have such places in Germany as well bit more like in Eastern and Southern parts (or on the coast).

The places I have seen in the Netherlands there mostly like the ones you described apart from the bigger cities like Amsterdam or Eindhoven.

But that's just one of the reasons why I like to spend some days in the Netherlands instead of going around NRW.
I wouldn't call NRW unmodern or anything but most places are indeed not as neat as in the Land of Bitterballen xD
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Rihab » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:31 am

Mainshow wrote:That being said, some places in Western Europe have become quite dirty or unpleasant.
I was shocked about my three stays in Brussels, tbh, same applies to Paris.
Paris is the right kind of dirrrrty. Brussels is dirty dirty though, I agree.
Rihab
Legend

Postby nekoocz » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:56 pm

biscuits wrote:
nekoocz wrote:
biscuits wrote:Never move to Japan if you have to find your own apartment. It’s the most BS system ever
London says hallo ... Impossible to rent a flat as a single foreigner having a normal job.
Why impossible?

In Tokyo, you have to pretty much pay 3-4 months rent upfront. It’s ridiculous. And rent is higher for foreigners. And landlords can legally say ‘no foreigners’
Friend of mine rents a small house for £1900 a month, he had to pay 6 rents in advance, 3 months deposit and also show them bank statement to proove he is able to pay. You can always say no to people once you meet them.
nekoo.cz - follow me
nekoocz
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:17 pm

TBH I would never move to London. I did not enjoy that city while visiting.

I've actually lived in England for 6 months and that was good enough for me. I did meet some amazing people but I wouldn't want living there for much longer.

Currently in Northern Norway I'm seeing how I'll fit in for the next 4 years, but the plan is pretty much move back to Portugal. My country has so many issues, especially culturally, but I haven't found other place like it. Although in many aspects I identify with Nordic culture better.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby nekoocz » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:40 pm

I have some kind of love/hate relationship with London. I am thinking of going back this summer.
nekoo.cz - follow me
nekoocz
Legend

Postby RayRay » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:30 pm

I love London. I spend three months while I was studying. Doing teaching practise and following classes with English students. Was such a fun time.

My husband is English, so when we first got together we would go to London once in a while. Just to be back and see some musicals.
Now it's been years since I've last been there. But London will always be special to me.
RayRay
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:52 pm

Im gonna go to the Netherlands this fall to study abroad for one semester. I'm gonna need all of the living information and advice possible so everyone feel free to throw as much information to me as possible
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby RayRay » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:43 pm

toni_pest wrote:Im gonna go to the Netherlands this fall to study abroad for one semester. I'm gonna need all of the living information and advice possible so everyone feel free to throw as much information to me as possible
Welcome! Where will you live?
RayRay
Legend

Postby Colbie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:48 pm

toni_pest wrote:Im gonna go to the Netherlands this fall to study abroad for one semester. I'm gonna need all of the living information and advice possible so everyone feel free to throw as much information to me as possible
Nice! If you have any questions just ask!
Colbie
Superstar

Postby Serby » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:25 pm

Omg sp cool! Only advice I can give you is that you stress dam in Amsterdam and other cities' names, not the first sylable. :lol:
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Michiel » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:42 am

Mainshow wrote:
flopho wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:my partner actually liked the idea of going to the Netherlands because he had lived there for a few years but I found all the cities there including and especially Amsterdam dirty, sketchy and boring af
surprised to read this tbh! But I didn't spend that much time in Ams so maybe I didn't see everything. Went by train and still remember how going from Germany (NRW) to the Netherlands felt like going from 2nd world to 1st world lmao
Living in NRW, I am really interested in getting to know which place(s) you meant.

That being said, some places in Western Europe have become quite dirty or unpleasant.
I was shocked about my three stays in Brussels, tbh, same applies to Paris. I think I won't have the desire to go there for holidays ever again.
True though :lol: :lol:

Brussels is a very particular situation though because of its high influx of all kinds of ethnic groups, segregation, a lot of poverty, combination of different ages,... in combination with a super complex administration as its at the crossroad of different national communities and regions, and add to this one of the biggest international centers in Europe. Current administration is too stiff to tackle all of this in a swift manner which results in a very weird, and yes ugly, city. There are super nice places though, but also for Flemish people it's a place most people try to avoid (also because the city used to be dominated by dutch-speaking people, while now it's 90 percent french and 10 percent dutch). The most beautiful city in Flanders is Ghent, and in Wallonia probably Liège. I like living in Antwerp, but I wouldn't advice anyone to visit it. The place is really not all the special, and its currently in a big transition period.

I always find it hard to compare cities tbh if you take different things in account. I feel like a lot of superdiverse European cities have a hard time coping with a new inflow of different cultures and SES Status, etc. while at the same time they want to preserve their 'national identity' by for example putting a lot of finances in certain buildings, monuments, public spaces,... It's a bit of paradox and I think it's reflected in a lot of Western European cities. Focus of tourism is on some particular spaces, neighbourhoods while the spirit of the city as a whole is being neglected. Of coruse this is how tourism works but I wouldn't say this is the case for every highly visited city.
"Common sense is a chaotic aggregate of disparate conceptions, and one can find there anything that one like."
Last.FM
Instagram
Michiel
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:00 am

RayRay wrote:
Welcome! Where will you live?
Almere I think.
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby toni_pest » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:12 am

Colbie wrote:
Im sure Ill have some :)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Michiel » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:07 pm

toni_pest wrote:
Colbie wrote:
We should definitely meet! I'll answer all your life questions sis
"Common sense is a chaotic aggregate of disparate conceptions, and one can find there anything that one like."
Last.FM
Instagram
Michiel
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:48 pm

Michiel wrote:
toni_pest wrote:
Colbie wrote:
We should definitely meet! I'll answer all your life questions sis
lol ill be sure to let you know when i come :D
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby aRat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:00 pm

I live in Germany near the border to Netherlands, you can come visit me too :)
jochen on meeting famous ppl wrote:Janet (very hairy woman)
Beyonce (she was ugly)
aRat
Manager

Postby RayRay » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:49 pm

I love Brussels. But I always go to the center, which is really nice. I've always thought of it as a beautiful city. But I guess it depends what part of the city you visit.
RayRay
Legend

Postby greek_boy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:29 am

MusicRecords wrote:The thing I disliked the most about Amsterdam was that constant weed smell everywhere.
oh yeah that was ewww but it's the same smell you'll notice if you visit Soho lol :lol:

Amsterdam is a cute and safe city, i think it's a nice place to live.
greek_boy
Legend

Postby nekoocz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:18 am

greek_boy wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:The thing I disliked the most about Amsterdam was that constant weed smell everywhere.
oh yeah that was ewww but it's the same smell you'll notice if you visit Soho lol :lol:
I smelled weed everywhere ... Even around midnight in Bounds Green area with freaking noone around.
nekoo.cz - follow me
nekoocz
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:26 pm

So, I am now living in the Netherlands for the next 5 months It was a bit of a shock moving but I got used to ir very soon. The biggest problem is the cigarette prices :lol: i still haven't figured out what are the cheapest cigarettes here? because **** me if I'm gonna pay 6€ for a pack on a daily basis
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby MusicRecords » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:28 pm

toni_pest wrote:So, I am now living in the Netherlands for the next 5 months It was a bit of a shock moving but I got used to ir very soon. The biggest problem is the cigarette prices :lol: i still haven't figured out what are the cheapest cigarettes here? because **** me if I'm gonna pay 6€ for a pack on a daily basis
Use it as an inspiration to not smoke as much, you can get those model like cheekbones doing other...exercises :lol: :lol: :oops:
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby Wayne » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:33 pm

toni_pest wrote:So, I am now living in the Netherlands for the next 5 months It was a bit of a shock moving but I got used to ir very soon. The biggest problem is the cigarette prices :lol: i still haven't figured out what are the cheapest cigarettes here? because **** me if I'm gonna pay 6€ for a pack on a daily basis
That's nothing compared to the UK.

The minimum price you pay for a pack of cigarettes in the UK under law is around £9 for your really cheap ones (I think it's £8.82 as of the last budget) with the average price paid across the country being £10.40.

I'm surprised that the Netherlands is that cheap, I thought all of Europe followed similar pricing strategies when it came to cigarettes.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby menime123 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:04 pm

The price isn’t the problem.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Serby » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:10 pm

I expected more for NL, here in Austria it's about 5€ for the cheapest pack. Start rolling, it's cheaper.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Return to The Lounge