Unpopular Opinions

Moderators: Spartan, king_oxymoron

Postby RayRay » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Serby wrote:I feel like there a bit of pressure in all the minorities of having to be activistish. I mean, people should fight for their rights, but not everyone has this fighter kind of nature.
True. But I do think you can "help" in your own way. I'm not the type to be an activist, but I hope I do contribute.
I was one of the first to get married and the children at school know we are married and I hope they find it normal now.
I have even heard another gay couple in our village say we "paved the way" for them to be accepted here.
I think we can contribute, however small it may seem.
RayRay
Manager

Postby Serby » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:02 am

But it had to do with where are gou from. Outing yourself in conservative countries would only lead tobulkyibg and getting fired. You are not even allowed to speak positively of lgbt people.
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Crackiswack » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:16 am

Well that's all true but even the most liberal of countries where at that same place twenty years ago.

Ray is right, small change is bigger than no change
Please Stop the Music
Crackiswack
Manager

Postby spiritboy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:20 pm

RayRay wrote:
spiritboy wrote:I'm gay but i don't care about gay rights like marriage, adoption. Maybe it's because these things will never happen in Turkey. :lol:
The more reason to care.
We're in such a bad place, one can get killed while defending LGBT rights and the killer won't even be punished harshly. He'll spend 6 months or a year in prison then be freed.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby RayRay » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:33 pm

^ Maybe there are other ways? I'm not one myself to go out defending, but you could start out small.
However small that is. Even the smallest seed can grow.
RayRay
Manager

Postby jio » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:37 pm

I think all human rights are important but I also think some are more important than others. In that sense going from gay criminalization to decriminalisation is extremely important and so is recognition of trans rights. After that whether gays can go to the army, marry, adopt is all good and nice and definitely part of human rights development but not all that important in the general scheme of things, because there are other non-gay issues far more important. I also think that gay rights have been used as an excuse for walking over other kinds of rights and that's disgusting.
jio
Legend

Postby AlphaMale » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:18 pm

spiritboy wrote:
RayRay wrote:
spiritboy wrote:I'm gay but i don't care about gay rights like marriage, adoption. Maybe it's because these things will never happen in Turkey. :lol:
The more reason to care.
We're in such a bad place, one can get killed while defending LGBT rights and the killer won't even be punished harshly. He'll spend 6 months or a year in prison then be freed.
What you mean is, that you care but you're to afraid of the consequences you might have to deal. That's totally understandable.
Surely whoever speaks to me in the right voice
Him or her I shall follow
AlphaMale
Legend

Postby AlphaMale » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:20 pm

jio wrote:I think all human rights are important but I also think some are more important than others. In that sense going from gay criminalization to decriminalisation is extremely important and so is recognition of trans rights. After that whether gays can go to the army, marry, adopt is all good and nice and definitely part of human rights development but not all that important in the general scheme of things, because there are other non-gay issues far more important. I also think that gay rights have been used as an excuse for walking over other kinds of rights and that's disgusting.
I think we cannot say this is more important than this.
Because when we move forward in any kind of human rights it's good for all of us.
AlphaMale
Legend

Postby jio » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:38 pm

AlphaMale wrote:
jio wrote:I think all human rights are important but I also think some are more important than others. In that sense going from gay criminalization to decriminalisation is extremely important and so is recognition of trans rights. After that whether gays can go to the army, marry, adopt is all good and nice and definitely part of human rights development but not all that important in the general scheme of things, because there are other non-gay issues far more important. I also think that gay rights have been used as an excuse for walking over other kinds of rights and that's disgusting.
I think we cannot say this is more important than this.
Because when we move forward in any kind of human rights it's good for all of us.
I'll challenge your opinion.

There can be no gay rights without life although there can be life without gay rights. So obviously the right to life is more important than gay rights since it is a precondition for gay rights. And of course that doesn't just include the right to life of gays but of everybody. With this thinking for example Canada's policy of giving priority to gay Syrian refugees was ethically and morally wrong.

Secondly there can be no gay marriage without gay legal acceptance but there can be gay legal acceptance without gay marriage. So gay decriminalization is more important than gay marriage. But what gay decriminalization mean is accepting alternative ways of life in society (in this case gay way of life/self-expression), In that sense decriminalizing anything that makes a society less plural/diverse is more important than gay marriage.

Similarly the right to equal employment means nothing when the right to employment is not protected. If you can be employed under the same terms as anybody else, yet those terms do not confirm to the minimum requirements of fair employment it's completely useless, even if it's equal. Here I'd also argue that as far as the US is concerned equal employment/recruitment in the army of that country (or any country with a history of invasions really) does not constitute a right to celebrate at all as it can potentially help directly or indirectly violate the right to life of others so where do you draw the line?

I agree that if we move forward in any kind of human rights is good for us with one condition: that other rights that do not move forward at least stay put. Unfortunately I'd argue that we see certain kinds of rights moving forward whereas others moving backwards. A society which accepts gay marriage but for example criminalized Islamic dressing in the name of secularism cannot be considered a liberal society IMO, just a society that gives priority to one minority over another creating inequality.

All human rights should be moving forward but not all are and unfortunately many of us only care about what affects us personally. Although that's normal, it's only when we can accept rights of other people (that means rights that don't affect us personally) that society can really, truly move forward.
jio
Legend

Postby AlphaMale » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:54 pm

I don't think you understood what I said...
AlphaMale
Legend

Postby jio » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:03 pm

I understood I am just challenging your view :) Why do you think I didn't understand???

PS: Nothing of what I wrote was personally directed at you or anybody else in here, I am just writing in general

PS2: I should have written "conform" instead of "confirm"
jio
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Nippian93 wrote:chart data‏ @chartdata Mar 7
Female artists with the most Hot 100 entries: @ArethaFranklin and @NICKIMINAJ 73 | @taylorswift13 70 | @rihanna 58 | @Madonna 57
And update:

Female artists with the most Hot 100 entries: @NICKIMINAJ 76 | @ArethaFranklin 73 | @taylorswift13 70 | @rihanna 58 | @Madonna 57
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby biscuits » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:30 pm

Hot 100 Queen
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Nippian93 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:19 pm

biscuits wrote:Hot 100 Queen
This is even worse:

Minaj still has a ways to go to become the solo artist with the most Hot 100 hits. Lil Wayne holds that record, with 135 Hot 100 hits. Drake is nipping at his heels with 133. The leader, among all chart acts, is the Glee Cast, with 207 charted hits.
https://www.yahoo.com/music/chart-watch ... 06437.html
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby flopho » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:33 am

Nippian93 wrote:
Minaj still has a ways to go to become the solo artist with the most Hot 100 hits. Lil Wayne holds that record, with 135 Hot 100 hits. Drake is nipping at his heels with 133. The leader, among all chart acts, is the Glee Cast, with 207 charted hits.
not usually here for this "hurr durr this generation is so this and that hurr" talk but damn that does sound indeed tragic :lol:
Shame on me for changing...no, shame on you for staying the same
flopho
Superstar

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:19 am

So Taylor will dethrone her with the next album or what? :lol:
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby Nippian93 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:14 am

MusicRecords wrote:So Taylor will dethrone her with the next album or what? :lol:
Yes, unless Nicki releales something.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Return to This 'n' That