Unpopular Opinions

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

 

Postby SholasBoy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:08 am

I saw the interview, she was very young and naive at the time, I doubt she would make that same mistake now. It would have been no skin off her nose to say “love” Mariah in that interview, though she purposely chose to say hate which was shady.

Kylie wishes she was getting those Billboard bubbling under hits

(Actually so does Mariah)
User avatar
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher
 
Posts: 40311
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2002
Location: Leeds

Postby flopho » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11 am

mariahmatherspacker wrote:I actually secretly love Kylie but I can’t in all good conscience admit it anymore after seeing that video of her saying she hates Mariah (couldn’t she just shade her like a normal diva instead of outright saying she hates her? ) so I now have to go on pretending like I hate the poor woman.
This really sums up stan culture smh
¡Eh, mamá!
Me quiero matar
El mundo se va a la mierda
Y no he hecho nada
User avatar
flopho
Legend
 
Posts: 11269
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012

Postby jochen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:26 am

SholasBoy wrote:I saw the interview, she was very young and naive at the time, I doubt she would make that same mistake now. It would have been no skin off her nose to say “love” Mariah in that interview, though she purposely chose to say hate which was shady.

Kylie wishes she was getting those Billboard bubbling under hits

(Actually so does Mariah)
At this time...and when you had to choose...I would have said the same. Just to sound cool

Plus it wasn't maruah personally. It was her work. Music
YOU cant blame nobody but YOU
User avatar
jochen
Manager
 
Posts: 4471
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008
Location: Germany, Hannover

Postby Gravity » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:29 am

heppolo wrote:
spiritboy wrote:Why does she hate Mariah? :o
Marchum wrote:She’s a tasteless ****. :lol:
who doesn't hate a generic american diva? U.S. always excels in selling generic but ''holier-than-thou'' songwriting to the masses. The McDonalds of music biz.
Like Kylie isn't a generic diva :lol: yeah, she tried to be edgy at times but she is till another fluffy pop chick just like Mariah. They're so similar, which is why I was surprised Kylie doesn't like her.
Floped and localed
User avatar
Gravity
R&B Junkie
 
Posts: 11276
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016
Location: Luxurious Undergrind

Postby spiritboy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:36 am

I'm really surprised that Kylie hated Mariah because she's known to be one of the sweetest divas out there.
Mariah saved Xmas and Gaga is saving Pop and Hollywood.
User avatar
spiritboy
Legend
 
Posts: 24849
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004
Location: Turkey

Postby heppolo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:45 am

Gravity wrote:
heppolo wrote:
spiritboy wrote:Why does she hate Mariah? :o
Marchum wrote:She’s a tasteless ****. :lol:
who doesn't hate a generic american diva? U.S. always excels in selling generic but ''holier-than-thou'' songwriting to the masses. The McDonalds of music biz.
Like Kylie isn't a generic diva :lol: yeah, she tried to be edgy at times but she is till another fluffy pop chick just like Mariah. They're so similar, which is why I was surprised Kylie doesn't like her.
Aussies get a pass for being not from U.S.
U.S. showbiz prioritizes and dictates with their own globally, the example of unfair competition.
It's just like Aussie $ versus U.S. $. Aussie dollars are slightly more hip despite the same name.
Waffles are checked cookies
User avatar
heppolo
Legend
 
Posts: 24664
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009
Location: interchangeable

Postby heppolo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:48 am

mariahmatherspacker wrote:
spiritboy wrote:Why does she hate Mariah? :o
Mariah represents everything she always craved and never got: US commercial success. :lol:
In general, UK #1s >>>> U.S. Hot 100 #1 any day of the week (but not anymore).
When it had only been on pure sales basis without the pesky major label insiders' airplay (now Spotify) numbers getting in the way, UK singles chart was miles ahead of U.S. Billboard Hot 100.
Waffles are checked cookies
User avatar
heppolo
Legend
 
Posts: 24664
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009
Location: interchangeable

Postby mariahmatherspacker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:44 am

heppolo wrote:
mariahmatherspacker wrote:
spiritboy wrote:Why does she hate Mariah? :o
Mariah represents everything she always craved and never got: US commercial success. :lol:
In general, UK #1s >>>> U.S. Hot 100 #1 any day of the week (but not anymore).
When it had only been on pure sales basis without the pesky major label insiders' airplay (now Spotify) numbers getting in the way, UK singles chart was miles ahead of U.S. Billboard Hot 100.
Fascinating stuff.
User avatar
mariahmatherspacker
Groupie
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018

Postby jochen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:50 am

I am pretty sure they like each other
YOU cant blame nobody but YOU
User avatar
jochen
Manager
 
Posts: 4471
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008
Location: Germany, Hannover

Postby spiritboy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:00 pm

heppolo wrote:
mariahmatherspacker wrote:
spiritboy wrote:Why does she hate Mariah? :o
Mariah represents everything she always craved and never got: US commercial success. :lol:
In general, UK #1s >>>> U.S. Hot 100 #1 any day of the week (but not anymore).
When it had only been on pure sales basis without the pesky major label insiders' airplay (now Spotify) numbers getting in the way, UK singles chart was miles ahead of U.S. Billboard Hot 100.
Really unpopular opinion :lol:
Mariah saved Xmas and Gaga is saving Pop and Hollywood.
User avatar
spiritboy
Legend
 
Posts: 24849
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004
Location: Turkey

Postby DOSSOME » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:10 pm

jochen wrote:I am pretty sure they like each other
I am pretty sure one doesn't know the other
User avatar
DOSSOME
Legend
 
Posts: 12100
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013

Postby stevyy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:11 pm

The UK is only Mariah's 3rd biggest overall market, she has sold 17 million records there.

1. 117,5 million records - USA
2. 22,5 million records - Japan
3. 17,0 million records - UK

Albums Markets:

71,000,000 - United States
18,100,000 - Japan
7,700,000 - United Kingdom
5,150,000 - Canada
4,850,000 - France
4,300,000 - Germany
4,100,000 - South Korea
2,950,000 - Australia
2,300,000 - Taiwan
2,300,000 - Italy
Mariah WILL surpass 3 million in Australia as well... As far as I know Madonna is the only one who managed to surpass 4 million albums in the country.
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 52520
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Postby MusicRecords » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:12 pm

heppolo wrote:
mariahmatherspacker wrote:
spiritboy wrote:Why does she hate Mariah? :o
Mariah represents everything she always craved and never got: US commercial success. :lol:
In general, UK #1s >>>> U.S. Hot 100 #1 any day of the week (but not anymore).
When it had only been on pure sales basis without the pesky major label insiders' airplay (now Spotify) numbers getting in the way, UK singles chart was miles ahead of U.S. Billboard Hot 100.
Really unpopular :lol:

I think the UK chart is pretty easy to top or climb...it’s much harder in the US I think, when it was based more of sales and AirPlay I mean..
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
User avatar
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III
 
Posts: 13671
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012
Location: New York City & Vienna

Postby stevyy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:17 pm

MusicRecords wrote:
I think the UK chart is pretty easy to top or climb...it’s much harder in the US I think, when it was based more of sales and AirPlay I mean..
The Hot 100 tabulation in the 1990s was 75% airplay, 25% sales because the British singles market for physical sales was actually bigger than the American sales market. By 2000/2001 even Germany had a bigger sales market for singles than the US. I tink this is so weird.

Japan has the only viable CD singles sales market left in the world. And together with Germany, they are the only 2 countries in the world with a semi-viable CD-albums market.

It's really weird that the CD remained the revenue dominating factor in both markets up until 2018.
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 52520
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Postby aRat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:18 pm

UK chart is way better cuz new acts can score hits much easier, the US is much harder to crack and only established artists can score hits thanks to airplay payola and cheap chart tricks.
jochen on meeting famous ppl wrote:Janet (very hairy woman)
Beyonce (she was ugly)
User avatar
aRat
Manager
 
Posts: 3587
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018
Location: Janet's neck

Postby stevyy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:21 pm

aRat wrote:UK chart is way better cuz new acts can score hits much easier, the US is much harder to crack and only established artists can score hits thanks to airplay payola and cheap chart tricks.
there are chart tricks everywhere. Organic music sales are hard to come by... mainstream acts rarely ever have organic sales. That is why Rock music (and alternative) remains the best music genre bc the acts really want to deliver good music.
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 52520
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Postby heppolo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:29 pm

spiritboy wrote:
heppolo wrote:
mariahmatherspacker wrote:
spiritboy wrote:Why does she hate Mariah? :o
Mariah represents everything she always craved and never got: US commercial success. :lol:
In general, UK #1s >>>> U.S. Hot 100 #1 any day of the week (but not anymore).
When it had only been on pure sales basis without the pesky major label insiders' airplay (now Spotify) numbers getting in the way, UK singles chart was miles ahead of U.S. Billboard Hot 100.
Really unpopular opinion :lol:
well, how many hits New Zealand acts had in U.S. Billboard Hot 100 over the last six decades? Oh, wait, only 6. (Lorde and Crowded House had 2, one by OMC and Kimbra was only a featured act). Does it mean that NZ acts are this inferior to american ones in the same genre?
How many indie label or unsigned acts had a Billboard Hot 100 number one (or at least, a top five) since the 1970s...The number is precisely zero.
U.S. Billboard Hot 100 is the home of payola, fake airplay numbers and label insiders shadowplay blocking the uninvited rest of the world from achieving success. It's a major label cartel scenario. It's like american politics, there are only democrats and republicans, outsiders are not allowed to have a sit at the table.
Last edited by heppolo on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waffles are checked cookies
User avatar
heppolo
Legend
 
Posts: 24664
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009
Location: interchangeable

Postby heppolo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:30 pm

stevyy wrote:
aRat wrote:UK chart is way better cuz new acts can score hits much easier, the US is much harder to crack and only established artists can score hits thanks to airplay payola and cheap chart tricks.
there are chart tricks everywhere. Organic music sales are hard to come by... mainstream acts rarely ever have organic sales. That is why Rock music (and alternative) remains the best music genre bc the acts really want to deliver good music.
sales-based and revenue-based charts are better, it shows that people are actually willing to pay for the music, not just to listen what the radio or playlists tell them to
Waffles are checked cookies
User avatar
heppolo
Legend
 
Posts: 24664
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009
Location: interchangeable

Postby mariahmatherspacker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:20 pm

‘Not enough Zealand acts have hit #1 in the US’ is your argument? :lol:

Could it maybe be because NZ has a population of like twelve people? How many international breakout stars could you possibly expect from such a tiny country? The US charts are dominated by non-American acts all the time
User avatar
mariahmatherspacker
Groupie
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018

Postby jochen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:38 pm

stevyy wrote:The UK is only Mariah's 3rd biggest overall market, she has sold 17 million records there.

1. 117,5 million records - USA
2. 22,5 million records - Japan
3. 17,0 million records - UK

Albums Markets:

71,000,000 - United States
18,100,000 - Japan
7,700,000 - United Kingdom
5,150,000 - Canada
4,850,000 - France
4,300,000 - Germany
4,100,000 - South Korea
2,950,000 - Australia
2,300,000 - Taiwan
2,300,000 - Italy
Mariah WILL surpass 3 million in Australia as well... As far as I know Madonna is the only one who managed to surpass 4 million albums in the country.
Oh stevie :lol:
You and your numbers
YOU cant blame nobody but YOU
User avatar
jochen
Manager
 
Posts: 4471
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008
Location: Germany, Hannover

Postby jochen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:39 pm

DOSSOME wrote:
jochen wrote:I am pretty sure they like each other
I am pretty sure one doesn't know the other
Mariah once said: i like kylie..she is a a bird
YOU cant blame nobody but YOU
User avatar
jochen
Manager
 
Posts: 4471
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008
Location: Germany, Hannover

Postby biscuits » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Depends what kinda bird
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 48343
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby mariahmatherspacker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:56 pm

jochen wrote:
DOSSOME wrote:
jochen wrote:I am pretty sure they like each other
I am pretty sure one doesn't know the other
Mariah once said: i like kylie..she is a a bird
She probably said turd, you probably just misheard
User avatar
mariahmatherspacker
Groupie
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018

Postby aRat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:57 pm

My faves:

Image

Your dusty divas:

Image
jochen on meeting famous ppl wrote:Janet (very hairy woman)
Beyonce (she was ugly)
User avatar
aRat
Manager
 
Posts: 3587
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018
Location: Janet's neck

Postby MusicRecords » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:59 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
User avatar
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III
 
Posts: 13671
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012
Location: New York City & Vienna

Return to The Lounge