Travelling

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

Postby Plym » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:26 pm

I'm going travelling for a bit in Europe from July on my own and wanted to know if anyone has done it before and what are their experiences? (Not just Europe)
Also be interested to hear what people have to say about their own countries and where to go etc.

I'll be visiting Italy, Austria, Hungary, Czech Rep, Poland, Germany, Holland, Belgium, France & Spain.

I'll be staying in hostels in the major cities of each country and will meet people there but would be good to hear things from people who actually live there or have travelled through before!
Could even meet up with some Euro UKMixers! :lol:
Plym
Take Care

Postby SholasBoy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:37 pm

Sounds really scary, very brave of you, but I'm sure you will have the time of your life. When I inherited money everyone advised me I should go and do something like that, maybe I still will, but I kinda always told myself I wouldn't be able to do it.. I mean...how do you actually arrange it?
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Plym » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:38 pm

Lots of research, finding every possible route to another city, checking millions of hostel websites and seeing their hilarious reviews and posting topics like this around the net! :lol:
Very time consuming but I hope its worth it.

I'm not scared of going alone, I'm just a bit worried I'll have my bag slashed or my laptop stolen. Yes, I am taking my laptop. I NEED it!
Plym
Take Care

Postby irishguy28 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:55 pm

Do let us know when you're in this part of the EuroMix world!

I've travelled fairly extensively alone - if you've got this far in the planning process, it sounds like it won't be any problem for you ;-)

I'm not so sure lugging a laptop around is a fantastic idea - you'll probably pay through the teeth for internet access on your own machine, whereas internet cafes can be used to keep an online presence relatively cheaply. And there's the heartbreak and misery if it gets stolen along the way...

Are you still moving to Barcelona, by the way?
irishguy28

Postby bee4ever » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:22 am

So excited for ya Plym! Have a safe trip, and take lots of pictures :wink: . Unfortunately I've never done such a thing so I can't offer my experiences or advice, it does sound like a lot of fun though and I really want to do something like that someday!
bee4ever
Manager

Postby Skelofect » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:37 am

I really fancy doing something like this later in the year. Let me know how it goes or if I do do it, I'll try and meet up with you in some foreign country for a UKmix 'get' 'together'.
Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...
Skelofect
Legend

Postby Plym » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:15 pm

Yes, I will take lots of pictures! Unles my phone gets stolen... :lol:
irishguy28 wrote:I'm not so sure lugging a laptop around is a fantastic idea - you'll probably pay through the teeth for internet access on your own machine, whereas internet cafes can be used to keep an online presence relatively cheaply. And there's the heartbreak and misery if it gets stolen along the way...

Are you still moving to Barcelona, by the way?
I was actually counting on Wifi around the cities. Most coffee shops and parks in Glasgow have it so I presumed the rest of Europe did... Was also planning to use a railway locker for when I don't want to lug it about! What do you reckon?

And yes, I'm still going to live in Barca for a while! My Spanish is improving! Pienso! :lol:
Plym
Take Care

Postby shake_yo_ass » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:09 pm

i went travelling on my own to thailand & from there did a tour of laos, vietnam & cambodia. Back to thailand and then onto malaysia.

It was every emotion you can experience. You'll be terrified at first but have a massive sense of achievement once youve done it.

Youll meet some amazing people, and some people you dont like. You'll be lonely, but then randomly make a friend for life.

Advice i could give is plan as much as possible but often its the unexpected random things that happen that are the most fun! I was travelling back from malaysia (flying to krabi in thailand) then onto the east side, long story short; the boat then bus and another boat took longer than 12 hours I anticipated and i got there alone with no where to stay at 9pm...anyway some guy was giving out flyers so i paid like £10 and got a hut and arrived and met this group of people and we all went out to a pool party that night. *memories* :)

You might find yourself in one place that seems boring...but remember its so easy to move on...just do some research and move on! (my experience was krabi...a kind of go between the east and east of southern thailand. I felt really lonely when i first got there, it was a small fishing village and didnt seem to have any party scene or any main 'street'...so anyway first night i went to the local market and had street food...yummy and like 50p. The day after i got the courage to just go and knock on these two girls doors that id scene earlier in the day...anyways they were really cool & we got chatting and went out boozing that night. getting free tequila shots it was mad and fun and VERY memorable. They were canadian (and nuts) and we r still friends.

Embrace it all....the bad makes the good REALLY GOOD :D :)
MJ - the originator - you will be missed. :'(
shake_yo_ass
Manager

Postby Thriller » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:25 pm

I so want to do something like this next year but cos I don't have much clue to where to start I'm thinking of using one of these gap year companies who also do travel and work abroad programmes for a fee but they set you up with VISA, accommodation, a job, support etc. and there will also be people in the same boat as you to make friends with.

Good luck Plym, it certainly is brave!
Thriller

Postby irishguy28 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:50 pm

Plym wrote: I was actually counting on Wifi around the cities. Most coffee shops and parks in Glasgow have it so I presumed the rest of Europe did... Was also planning to use a railway locker for when I don't want to lug it about! What do you reckon?
Free Wifi? You may not find it as readily on the road. If you have an account with a Wifi provider at home, they sometimes allow you to connect to hotspots provided by a local operator that they have negotiated with for an additional fee. The last time I was in Cologne, the Wifi in the hotel I stayed in was over 15 Euros for a 24 access period.

Personally, I never travel with my laptop and make do with internet cafes (or browsing on my iPod touch if there's free wifi in a certain area).

And yes, I'm still going to live in Barca for a while! My Spanish is improving! Pienso! :lol:
Cool!
irishguy28

Postby nekoocz » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:17 am

some tips for Prague

1) never talk to guys at Venceslas Sguare
2) if you´ll go to club, than never take a taxi standing infront the club on the way home
3) in the city, take only the yellow AAA taxi (only one fair taxi for foreigners)
only the one you see, there is a another AAA company, they are SO bitchy !
4) change money only at hotel or exchange, never with someone at the street (sounds stupid, but still a lot of people do that)
5) look how czech currency (czech crowns) look like. Still there are some places where they could give you hungarian money instead of czech (it´s about 10x less)
6) try typical czech restaurant, I can reccomend The Original Pilsner Urquel Deminka Restaurant, easy Deminka (very good food & great price)
7 trams and tube a very easy to use, but you have to be careful about tickets. You can buy them in every entrance to the tube, kiosk or yellow ticket machine. Don´t forget to mark them before (by the entrance to the tube or in the tram)!
nekoocz
Legend

Postby kateryanpt » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:53 pm

nekoo3372 wrote:some tips for Prague

2) if you´ll go to club, than never take a taxi standing infront the club on the way home
3) in the city, take only the yellow AAA taxi (only one fair taxi for foreigners)
4) change money only at hotel or exchange, never with someone at the street (sounds stupid, but still a lot of people do that)
5) look how czech currency (czech crowns) look like. Still there are some places where they could give you hungarian money instead of czech (it´s about 10x less)
6) try typical czech restaurant, I can reccomend The Original Pilsner Urquel Deminka Restaurant, easy Deminka (very good food & great price)
7 trams and tube a very easy to use, but you have to be careful about tickets. You can buy them in every entrance to the tube, kiosk or yellow ticket machine. Don´t forget to mark them before (by the entrance to the tube or in the tram)!
You really have such problems in one of the most beautiful cities of Central Europe??
Well Rome is beautiful too and they steal everything from you :/
kateryanpt
Personal Assistant

Postby kateryanpt » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:04 am

Well since I'm in the business , I'm going to promote my country here for anyone who wants to visit it. Here's a mini travell guide.

So let's talk about Hot and Sunny Portugal. One of the most oldest countries in Europe with defined borders.
Hope not to be too boring with History facts lol Just gonna show some hot spots .

Let's start of course , with the capital : Lisbon or in portuguese : Lisboa.

Image...

Well on the 1st picture you can see "Terreiro Do Paço" or aka "Praça do Comércio" which was and still remains one of the city main squares.
In the same picture the Romanic/Gothic church with the two towers is the "Sé de Lisboa" , and on your right the National Patheon... So far mostly religous buildings.
On the 2nd picture you can see the Portuguese "Golden Gate" which was made by the same company which built the Golden Gate in San Francisco during the "Estado Novo" era ( Fascist Era).
On the 3rd picture you can see "Torre De Belém" which is said to be one of the national symbols due to its importance during the Portuguese discoveries.
Well You have all types of accomodation in Lisbon so you just need to inform your self and go ... For younger people I advice youth hostels :)
For clubing and going out at night , of course you have : Bairro Alto.

Porto

Second biggest city in te country and also one of the most beautiful :)

Yes on the picture there's "Invicta" , the one which actually gave the name to the country. And yes this where the famous wine is made and yes the bridge on the picture was designed by Gustave Eiffel.
That is known as "Zona Ribeirinha".

Well this is Avenida dos Aliados... Well it's simply beatiful ... The monument at the end is the city hall. This is where the people from Porto gather in the special moments.
The buildings architecture is very rich ... Very European like.

and one of the city symbols , Torre dos Clerigos .

Coimbra

Well, the third one is Coimbra. Where I'm actually from and where lies one of the oldest Universities in Europe. Coimbra is internationally known for its academical life :)
The city is fullfilled with lovely gardens "Jardim Botânico" for instance.
The second picture is the old library in the University ... I guess there's some stuff made of gold ... lol

Tomar

Well this is a little town where I actually live. But gets thousands of visitors form every corner of the world every year. You really can tell why.
In Tomar as seen in the 1st picture there's the Convento de Cristo, World Heritage By Unesco. One of the most mystic places in Portugal.
On the second picture is the main square , known as "Praça da Républica" with a gothic church (the most important in town). Don't know why the sky is purple :x
On the 3r picture there is the historical centre ... Kate Ryan got a postcard with this picture from me loool and there you can see the Templar Castle.
Nightlife in Tomar: Go to Torres Novas or Leiria ... it sucks now :(

Algarve

Last but not least the Algarve. One of the best beach touristic places in Europe :)

Yes lovely ... the last picture is a resort in the town of Portimão... C'mon stop dreaming now ... lol
This place is where you can relax on the beach and has a great nightlife and clubbing.
Plus if you want to go to Spain, is really close.

Well , that's enough don't want to bore anyone.

There were lots places to talk about like Guimarães, Alentejo, Viseu etc ... beautiful towns and places like Madeira and Azores but you can always inform your self... There is too much to see in a small county...

So visit Portugal , it's worth it !
kateryanpt
Personal Assistant

Postby nekoocz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:14 pm

kateryanpt wrote:
You really have such problems in one of the most beautiful cities of Central Europe??
Well Rome is beautiful too and they steal everything from you :/
not really problems, but it's better to know some things when you come here ...

some people could do everything for you when they smell money :-? and they are not afraid to cheat ...

think that czech taxi divers are world known :-?
nekoocz
Legend

Postby kateryanpt » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:43 pm

Hum when I go there gonna take those tips and advices :P Thanks
kateryanpt
Personal Assistant

Postby UKMusicLova » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:48 pm

You forgot to mention crossing roads. Now I've been to Iran, Egypt and italy before. All known for their awful driving. But in Prague they don't have awful driving. But when there is a red light for cars and a green light for pedestrians, the red light is only for one road in the junction, but the other roads are green...so even though it should be safe, it isn't! :lol:
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby nekoocz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:16 pm

UKMusicLova wrote:You forgot to mention crossing roads. Now I've been to Iran, Egypt and italy before. All known for their awful driving. But in Prague they don't have awful driving. But when there is a red light for cars and a green light for pedestrians, the red light is only for one road in the junction, but the other roads are green...so even though it should be safe, it isn't! :lol:
yep ... but only big crossroads ... and when you are there, you can see there "islands" where you have to wait for another green light ... but mostly in the town you have only one way roads with only one crossroad and only one light ...

we don't have awful drivers, because there is a law which says that when you are on the crossroad without green light - the driver has to let you cross the road (doesn't mean that you just jump to the road) ...
nekoocz
Legend

Postby bee4ever » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:41 pm

UKMusicLova wrote:Now I've been to Iran, Egypt and italy before.
So jealous of you! I've always wanted to visit Egypt and Ethiopia! I guess when I'm older I'll do it. I've honestly been afraid to go to Iran, or most places in the Middle East, however. The American media makes it out to be so dangerous! If I hear otherwise, I'll definitely consider going...although my cousin is going to Dubai later this year, so maybe I'll join her.
bee4ever
Manager

Postby Benjamin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:54 pm

Plym wrote:I'm going travelling for a bit in Europe from July on my own and wanted to know if anyone has done it before and what are their experiences? (Not just Europe)
Also be interested to hear what people have to say about their own countries and where to go etc.

I'll be visiting Italy, Austria, Hungary, Czech Rep, Poland, Germany, Holland, Belgium, France & Spain.

I'll be staying in hostels in the major cities of each country and will meet people there but would be good to hear things from people who actually live there or have travelled through before!
Could even meet up with some Euro UKMixers! :lol:
When will you be in Holland? :o
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby crazycool » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:17 pm

This seems like the perfect thread to ask this question...

Does anyone know if you can buy like 1 plane ticket to travel all across America for like a month? I really want to travel across the USA (via plane) and visit so many cities ~ ie. Washington DC, NYC, Miami, Los Angles, Boston...
crazycool
Legend

Postby chaottic » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:20 pm

7 trams and tube a very easy to use..
8) NEVER EVER touch the peanuts :lol: :lol:

9) do NOT spit your gum in an ashtray :lol: :lol:

10) when in danger, scream pomoch :lol: :lol:
chaottic
Manager

Postby bee4ever » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:22 pm

crazycool wrote:This seems like the perfect thread to ask this question...

Does anyone know if you can buy like 1 plane ticket to travel all across America for like a month? I really want to travel across the USA (via plane) and visit so many cities ~ ie. Washington DC, NYC, Miami, Los Angles, Boston...
You can visit America and take the train to all of these places, especially if you are traveling all over the east coast. Or you can rent a car and drive.
If you want to travel from east coast to west coast the best thing to do would take a plane, but you have to buy more than one ticket :( .
bee4ever
Manager

Postby nekoocz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:46 pm

chaottic wrote:

peanuts ?? don't know what you mean

yes ... when I was wokring at the bar a TOTALLY hated when someone put the gum to the ashtray ... takes long and it's annoying to clean it !!! :evil:

I would prefer to scream : POMOC ... "Pomoch" sound like : "piss yourself" in czech
:lol:
nekoocz
Legend

Postby chaottic » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:51 pm

nekoo3372 wrote:
chaottic wrote:

peanuts ?? don't know what you mean

yes ... when I was wokring at the bar a TOTALLY hated when someone put the gum to the ashtray ... takes long and it's annoying to clean it !!! :evil:

I would prefer to scream : POMOC ... "Pomoch" sound like : "piss yourself" in czech
:lol:
yeah sorry its pomoc but it sounds like pomoch anyway :lol:

the peanuts on the coffee shops on the table, the ones that look at you so innocently and scream: "eaaaat meeee"! the ones no one mentions you have to pay :lol:

and you will certainly not die cause of a gum in an ashtray, we had quite the experience in Prague.. A friend spit his gum in the ashtray and the waiter started screaming holding it in his hands saying random things in czech to the whole restaurant.. rude people if u ask me :lol:
chaottic
Manager

Postby nekoocz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:00 pm

chaottic wrote:yeah sorry its pomoc but it sounds like pomoch anyway :lol:

the peanuts on the coffee shops on the table, the ones that look at you so innocently and scream: "eaaaat meeee"! the ones no one mentions you have to pay :lol:

and you will certainly not die cause of a gum in an ashtray, we had quite the experience in Prague.. A friend spit his gum in the ashtray and the waiter started screaming holding it in his hands saying random things in czech to the whole restaurant.. rude people if u ask me :lol:
hm .. yeah ... lot of people especially in Prague are really rude ...
:lol: at the waiter ... If I'm there I would tell him something and slow him down :lol: still some waiters think that you are them for them ... not they for you ...
:lol: at peanuts ... how much did you pay ?
nekoocz
Legend

Return to The Lounge