University & College

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

Postby Tom92 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi.
I'm currently looking at different universities I could go to, for when I start in 2010. I started this thread for the ukmixers to discuss what university they attended, whether they enjoyed it and would recommend it, and what they are doing following university etc.

Did you go away for University?
Was it expensive?
what did they study?
what to expect at University?

etc.
Tom92
Legend

Postby Wayne » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:02 pm

Name: Wayne Dooley
University: Nottingham Trent University
Course: Sociology

My personal exeperience only:

University was both the best decision of my life, and also the worst. Thats the best way to sum it up for me. I have learnt (albeit the hard way) how much you have to make your money stretch - my biggest recommendation is go to University with a part-time job or with the intention of finding one, if you like to spend money. I have managed to max out a £1,250 overdraft, and spend £3,500 of the Government's money in 8 months on myself! :( There are so many hidden costs at University, and the temptation to go out every night doing something with your amazing new friends sometimes overcomes you

I am also someone who kind of messed up their first year - in all, I attended 12 lectures, and not a single seminar throughout the whole year which I think is quite remarkable considering that I was passing my assignments with firsts and 2:1's.

I'd advise everyone to move away as it literally can change your life, for better or for worse. However, I do realise that its not to everyone's taste - so don't be hasty and move just because your friends are - do it because its what suits you. As I said, there are many hidden costs, and unless you go with UPP Accomodation (i.e. University recommended), the landlords can be complete morons and try and milk you for every penny you have

Uni is amazing :lol:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby John » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:08 pm

Don't go to a university that offers cheaper tuition fees. It'll be full of thick chavs.

...unfortunately that was the only kind of place I could get into as a mature student, so I have to live with it. It's a wonder my head hasn't imploded.

Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit, but it certainly feels more like a council estate than a university.
This post is highly unlikely to be serious. Please treat it accordingly. Unless it's music-related, in which case I'm damn well right.
John
Chief Kitten Herder

Postby crazycool » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:47 pm

I attend Queen Mary University, London. Studying German and French BA Hons.

I experience the other side of "University life", not living halls but still with my parents! The reason for this is that I already live a train journey away from my Uni, which is very fortunate. No accomodation and maintenance fees for me! Also, my third year at Uni will be in a German/French-speaking country, so I'm saving a lot of money for that - the more money for that, the better experience I can have abroad.

When I tell people I live at home, I also the get the "oh, don't you miss out on everything?!" statement. Sure, I don't go to SU bar every night but I don't feel that I've missed out on the social side of University at all. I've made tonnes of friends, and done loads with them so I don't think I've missed out at all. Loads of Uni friends also experience the downside of Uni, and like Wayne said, money can just dissapear like nothing!

Anyway, I'm loving Uni. Looking forward to going back in September, and more importantly - my year abroad! :D

As for the work load, it IS naturally a lot lot harder than A-Levels. However, the holidays inbetween Uni are just amazing. :lol:
crazycool
Legend

Postby gaz_uk » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:58 pm

I went the University of Liverpool (360 miles away from my hometown in Cornwall) and I would definitely recommend studying there...

... As long as you don't take anything to do with Psychology, because the department is crap (from my experience anyway).

I studied Psychology & Neuroscience and literally all we did was show up to a few lectures a week, sat there as the lecturers read (word by word) off their PowerPoint slides, and then took an exam at the end of the semester. We only had about 4 tutorials a year and each one was a waste of time - basically just repeating things like essay writing techniques, presentation skills etc... (nothing that you won't have learnt from doing your A-Levels).

Of course we were always encouraged to do x number of hours private reading every week, but if I wanted to just learn by reading through textbooks and powerpoint slides it would be easier to just get a degree with the Open University and save yourself all the accomodation/living costs by studying at home.

The University itself is great though, mind you. It has a good reputation, the Studen Union is one of the largest in the country, the campus is spacious but easy to get around (and also only a few minutes walk from the much improved City Centre), and Liverpool itself has one of the largest student populations in the UK (over 10% of the population is made up of students during term time).

I just should have looked into the course more when I was applying. And that's one thing I would definitely advise - go to as many open days as possible and find out as much as you can about exactly what the course entails, teaching methods, teaching quality standrads etc... because it can make all the difference to your university experience.
"I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?"
gaz_uk
Superstar

Postby Tom92 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:01 pm

I'm planning on staying at home I think, and catching the train every morning to central Birmingham, its only about 20 mins on the train, and then 20 minutes on the bus.

I honestly think that if I went away, i'd end up going out every night with my mates, and would fail my exams. I'd rather stay at home, and then just stay out on the odd night here and there.

I seem to be one of these people that, if they go out near the exams, my grades plummet, and if i'm paying to go, I want to make it worthwhile.
Last edited by Tom92 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom92
Legend

Postby Loose » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:47 am

Name: M.P. I.
University: SAL
Course: Journalism / Linguistics

I HATE studying but I feel enough intelligent to do it. I HATE learning and I'm not bothered about any exams.

I still do it though. XD
Baby, hell no, that's not the way it goes. It's all about me tonight.
Loose
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:48 pm

University: St Mary's University College (now it's own Uni, when I was there the degree was University of Surrey)
Course: Media Arts with Professional and Creative Writing

I LOVED Uni, best three years of my life. I'll start with the course. I'm not one who always does my best at academic things because I get bored.. but as the years progressed, my course became 90% practical.. it was SO GOOD.. my friends were writing long essays every other week while I was making TV shows, radio shows, websites, writing novellas, it was crazy good. If you want to do media, I'd really recommend St Mary's. While I was there it was 4th in the country for it - for a Uni that's probably unheard of to most of you, that's crazy good. There's also a really good rapport with staff and students in the department.

In terms of the actual Uni, i moved away and LOVED it. I chose St Mary's because it was a small campus. Everyday you see someone you know, because everything on campus is a 5 min walk max. This means you can roll out of bed to lectures, and also you can drink at home and be at the SU in seconds. It's a small SU, granted, but there's good clubs in the local area, great transport links to central London and it's great for a few drinks.

I want to do it again, recommend everything.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby netab » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:01 pm

Name:Manuel
Did you go away for University?:No, as I studied in the University we have in my city, Córdoba, that, as published recently, is the 2nd best university in Spain, and the best PUBLIC University in Spain.
Was it expensive?:Around 1000-1200€ yearly just as tuition fees. As i studied for 5 years, thats around 5.500-6.000€, but if you add to that number the subjects i failed and that i have to pay for more times... :roll: the number could go up to...6.500 € or even more...Then as the university of Córdoba is 6km away from the city, i had to pay monthly for the train to take me there...and thats over 1.000 € in all the time i spent there. Add photocopies...and stuff like that...so i think 8.000 € its OK...but then i had to make courses to complete my studies, and i had to pay (3 days ago) 123€ to get my degree...so omg, its too much, im feeling quite guilty right now...:P
what did you study?:Environmental Sciences. A 5 years degree. Quite useless...but quite hard...
what to expect at University?:What to expect? You'll know loads of people (though i just get in touch with 2-3 people now), loaaaaads of teachers...and specially youll learn to be responsible, as you will decide everything, when you study, which exams you will do, and which you'll not...well it's a nice experience...but at least in my case, it was not as funny as in all those american teenage movies!:P
netab
Manager

Postby Thombus » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:53 pm

Much like John, I'm currently at Uni as a mature student, and it feels like it's full of idiots at times....

You think that's an age thing John?

Not expensive, 'tis an investment - very worth while.

Doing PR - similarly to Adams course, it's very practical - fun fun fun.

Live at home with the fiancee - Uni is a two hour commute - still, doesn't bother me - loads of mates, lots of fun - alot more sober than I expected...again I put that down to my age :lol:
Thombus
Tran Fan

Postby Spartan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:41 pm

I'm fresh out of my first year so the experience was very new to me as well.

University: University of Kent
Course: English Language (Linguistics)

After the first year I can safetly say that I am very much enjoying my course - without wanting to sound too nerd-ish, it's my favourite thing about Uni. I was on campus for my first year and personally I think it's best if people do stay on campus (if possible) for their first year as that's the main way that you'll probably make friends.

Money-wise, it is very hard to keep track of what's happening with your money and the governments money etc... My advice would be to just try and budget yourself and try not to waste your loan.

On a personal note, I haven't really enjoyed my first year of uni. It's been quite disappointing overall but that's partly my own fault. I believe that your experiences at uni will only be great if you put the effort in to make them great.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Blackberry » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:55 pm

I'm in the same position as you Tom. There was an open day last week at the University in my city (Lincoln) and every Uni in the country was there for us to get prospectuses.

I'm thinking about staying in Lincoln as the Uni is 5 minutes away from my house (Walking distance) and it will be easy to save money.

I'm thinking about doing PR and Advertising as I LOVE business and the course sounds interesting, Thombus could you tell me anything else about the course?? :)
Blackberry
Manager

Postby Tom92 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:22 pm

I either want to go into Teaching or into a Business environment as my career I think.

I was also wondering, if I didn't do a History GCSE or A Level, could I still do it at uni as a degree. I think that thats what i'd teach best. I've already done lots of leadership type stuff for my age anyway, so dont think i'd have trouble getting onto a teaching course.

I'dve loved to do something outdoors or to do with Art, but realistically, what is there in those fields that pays over £30,000 a year.
Tom92
Legend

Postby Blackberry » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:52 pm

I know what you mean, I would love to be a Social Worker but the pay isn't that great! My aim is that I will decide what I want to do by the end of the summer.
Blackberry
Manager

Postby gaz_uk » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:26 pm

Blackberry wrote:I'm thinking about doing PR and Advertising as I LOVE business and the course sounds interesting, Thombus could you tell me anything else about the course?? :)
My sister just completed her final year at Lincoln doing that exact course!

She really enjoyed it, although she says the advertising side is much more interesting than the PR side - but I guess that depends on the individual.
"I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?"
gaz_uk
Superstar

Postby Blackberry » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:55 pm

gaz_uk wrote:
Blackberry wrote:I'm thinking about doing PR and Advertising as I LOVE business and the course sounds interesting, Thombus could you tell me anything else about the course?? :)
My sister just completed her final year at Lincoln doing that exact course!

She really enjoyed it, although she says the advertising side is much more interesting than the PR side - but I guess that depends on the individual.
:o:o Now that is a major coincidence :lol: :lol: May I ask what kind of Career paths your sister is thinking of taking :D
Blackberry
Manager

Postby gaz_uk » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:05 pm

Before she went to uni she wanted to go into PR but since studying at Lincoln she now wants to drop the PR thing completely and work in advertising - specifically something in accounts management. I'm not sure exactly what that entails but she seems very set on it at the moment.

She's planning on going travelling in January for 6 - 12 months first though, just to get it out of her system whilst she still can - it'll be next to impossible for her to do that stuff once she gets a full time job in advertising.

Ideally she wants to work abroad - possibly Hong Kong, Australia or the US.
gaz_uk
Superstar

Postby UKMusicLova » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:10 am

I'm in the same position as Tom and Blackberry! I really need to start going to some open days! :oops:
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Bhaggers » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:09 am

Being someone who has just applied for Uni this year (Warwick here I come!!) if anyone needs any help, all they have to do is PM me - or ask for my MSN! I don't mind answering your questions!

Its not all that chaotic as some people make it out to be - you should try and go to som sort of UCAS Fair (Last year there was one in Birmingham, first week of July - ask your college/school for details etc). Also, open days aren't that hard to arrange.. follow my checklist which will make sure you stay on top of everything!
BTW - if you're applying for Medicine/Dentistry/Vet Medicine/and straight English/History and if you're applying for Oxford/Cambridge - You will have to get all your application done and sent before October 15th I think.

1 - Write up a shortlist of Unis that float your boat, and also courses that you would like. Go to UCAS.COM and do a course search (alphabetical is best as there are lots of variations) - get used to the website as you'll do your whole application through there.

2 - Go to your school/college and ask for details on how to log onto the UCAS Website. (They don't usually give these details until September though)

3 - Visit the uni websites/ ring them up and ask when their open days are and ask if you can book an place on the open day for your course, or a general open day - SORTED!

So, any questions (Tom, Blackberry, Carly and anyone else!) - don't hestitate to ask! :D
tell the others you've gone to sea...
Bhaggers
Superstar

Postby Jark » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:16 am

I start at Gloucestershire Ui in Cheltenham from September. The buggers denied me accommo in halls because I was ten days late with the application form so I'm living in a student house like most people would from the second year. Pretty nervous/excited! I've been wanting uni to come around for so long and now that it's close I'm beginning to panic :lol: But I'm pretty sure I love it. I'm going to have to put all of my efforts into creating and sticking to a budget though because if there's money available to me I will spend it all. All. Straight away.
Jark
Superstar

Postby Tom92 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:12 pm

UKMusicLova wrote:I'm in the same position as Tom and Blackberry! I really need to start going to some open days! :oops:
The Aston Uni open day is a week today, on the 1st June, and there will be stands with alot of other uni's been advertised there.

We're going on a school trip.
Tom92
Legend

Postby CooperLaaa » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Tom92 wrote:I either want to go into Teaching or into a Business environment as my career I think.

I was also wondering, if I didn't do a History GCSE or A Level, could I still do it at uni as a degree. I think that thats what i'd teach best. I've already done lots of leadership type stuff for my age anyway, so dont think i'd have trouble getting onto a teaching course.

I'dve loved to do something outdoors or to do with Art, but realistically, what is there in those fields that pays over £30,000 a year.
Why did you not do it as a Gcse or A Leval if you want to do a degree so u can teach it.

I really want to go to cardiff to do a history degree but they want an A at a leval, my last 2 history exams dident go so well, hard questions this year. I'll have to resit in january as the course has changed now :(
CooperLaaa
Manager

Postby Tom92 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:27 pm

CooperLaaa wrote:
Tom92 wrote:I either want to go into Teaching or into a Business environment as my career I think.

Why did you not do it as a Gcse or A Leval if you want to od a degree so u can teach it.

I really want to go to cardiff to do a hsitroy degree but they want an A at a leval, my last 2 history exams dident go so well, hard questions this year. I'll have to resit in january as the course has changed now :(
My mom and Dad persuaded me to take Spanish at GCSE instead, because they thought it would be more useful, but I only ended up with a C in it :-?
Tom92
Legend

Postby alxx » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:34 pm

I'm going this September (if I get the grades), a bit nervous but looking forward to it :)
alxx
Legend

Postby CooperLaaa » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:34 pm

Tom92 wrote:
CooperLaaa wrote:

Why did you not do it as a Gcse or A Leval if you want to od a degree so u can teach it.

I really want to go to cardiff to do a hsitroy degree but they want an A at a leval, my last 2 history exams dident go so well, hard questions this year. I'll have to resit in january as the course has changed now :(
My mom and Dad persuaded me to take Spanish at GCSE instead, because they thought it would be more useful, but I only ended up with a C in it :-?
I've read in one uni book, Think it was bangor that histroy is preferred but a mature student might be concidered but some uni's want impossible grades like an A at A Leval.
CooperLaaa
Manager

Return to The Lounge