University & College

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

Postby MusicRecords » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:01 am

Erotica wrote:i think college is the best phase of my life besides kindergarden. And so I don't want it to end. School was horrible but here you learn something good and the people are much nicer, at least the ones I know.
It was def some of the best time in my life as well! :D
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby thankfulforkelly » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Ty for the replies guys :)

Tbh I feel really home sick and I miss my mum a lot (not my dad tho lmao) and I really miss having a big friendship group like I did at school, I’ve met some really cool people on my course and I love my flatmates but idk it doesn’t feel the same. I also had my first proper break-up which may sound silly because we literally dated for a month but he literally got with someone else like two days later which I found quite hurtful :(

My course is also a lot more complicated than I was anticipating and lots of it is really dull. I have to write two essays and give a presentation on the word ‘salty’ :lol: like who tf cares about that :lol:

The issue is I don’t know what other course I’d do and I think my course *might* pick up in second year when I can choose my modules. I’m also worried I’d disappoint my parents if I dropped out and all the alternatives to uni just sound really grim lol
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Superstar

Postby MusicRecords » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:44 am

^what's your major?
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby Goldmoney » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:47 am

I hated college. I excelled but the stress was on another level. :cry:
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:59 am

thankfulforkelly wrote:Ty for the replies guys :)

Tbh I feel really home sick and I miss my mum a lot (not my dad tho lmao) and I really miss having a big friendship group like I did at school, I’ve met some really cool people on my course and I love my flatmates but idk it doesn’t feel the same. I also had my first proper break-up which may sound silly because we literally dated for a month but he literally got with someone else like two days later which I found quite hurtful :(

My course is also a lot more complicated than I was anticipating and lots of it is really dull. I have to write two essays and give a presentation on the word ‘salty’ :lol: like who tf cares about that :lol:

The issue is I don’t know what other course I’d do and I think my course *might* pick up in second year when I can choose my modules. I’m also worried I’d disappoint my parents if I dropped out and all the alternatives to uni just sound really grim lol
I did a media degree and things definitely improved in my second year when I got to pick my own modules. I loved uni/college but my first year was my least favourite - my lectures were all once a week and it was hard to build friendships where you saw someone for 10 minutes or so once a week before lectures waiting to go in :roll:

Second year was much more fun - it was the same people in all lectures/classes and I’m still friends with them today.

That said, my social life in first year was my favourite. My housemates were an odd bunch - but I was always the Queen of Vodka, even then. We used to party all night until like 4am, grab takeaways and stop up until 6am... and I’d be in lectures for 9am pissed as a fart longing for hair of the dog :oops: :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:02 am

Goldmoney wrote:I hated college. I excelled but the stress was on another level. :cry:
For me school was so stressful but college kinda relaxed
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Westen » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:06 am

I have degree in Mechanichal engineering, i finished univerity this summer, but i started my master studies in October. 2 more years at least for me :(
Westen
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:16 pm

Erotica wrote:
Goldmoney wrote:I hated college. I excelled but the stress was on another level. :cry:
I found college very nice and it was a good time in my life where I became independent and started to live on my own and stuff
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby heppolo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:38 am

Erotica wrote:
School was pretty stressful, bullies and those sneaky kids
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Michiel » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:44 pm

Loved university, especially being in the same school for 12 years (did primary and secondary education in the same place). When you break out of that (kind of) total institute it kinda felt liberating. I was very scared tbh to set my first steps, but I met one of my best friends during the first course in Uni. And after that we became a group of 10 people since the first semester of my first uni year and we still see each other quite often although we are spread out throughout the whole country (which is not that big lol).

Throughout high school I came to label myself as a very introvert and a shy person, but throughout university and now my work this is changing quite significantly. Although I was already aware of it, I came to the full realization that a lot of personality traits are not static, or even individual. I'm a completely different person than I was during high school. It's just a complex process of people ascribing certain traits to you, you reconfirming those traits and situational/context elements (e.g., institutional elements like teachers or school culture). A lot of professionals downplay the importance of the context of a certain institute shaping you as a person (e.g., during my field work I noticed teachers labeling pupils like this or that, which of course influences (most of the time unconscious) the way they treat that person which severely limits opportunities). Even if I tried to break out certain roles during high school there were too many barriers to do so, therefore I don't regret anything. That's why I always cringe when people say you are the only person to change yourself, if it only was that simple. Growing as a person is different than choosing pasta or rice for dinner.
"Common sense is a chaotic aggregate of disparate conceptions, and one can find there anything that one like."
Last.FM
Instagram
Michiel
Legend

Postby AshleyDew » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:41 pm

heppolo wrote:
Erotica wrote:
School was pretty stressful, bullies and those sneaky kids
I'm not sure that I would agree, because at the college I've got no time almost on nothing except, eating sleeping and study. I've just made a 30 mins break, and then have to get back with my research paper and then essay....ahhhhh. That's more stressful to me than those teeny problems.
Find at https://essayshark.com/custom-essay-writers.html the most qualified writers in academic assistance
AshleyDew
Groupie

Postby biscuits » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:57 pm

thankfulforkelly wrote:give a presentation on the word ‘salty’
There's a lot of salty bitches on UKMIX, or you could talk about the different things which taste salty
biscuits
The Diva

Postby bluecherry » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:57 am

Paricipating in 3 psychological studies over the next month at university. I’m excited.
♡ i bloom just for you ♡

bluecherry
Manager

Postby SilentDream » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:50 am

This autumn I'll finally start my studies at university. I'm really looking forward to it. :D
SilentDream
Manager

Postby Serby » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:23 am

SilentDream wrote:This autumn I'll finally start my studies at university. I'm really looking forward to it. :D
Where? Staying in Graz or moving to Vienna? :P
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby MusicRecords » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:42 am

Serby wrote:
SilentDream wrote:This autumn I'll finally start my studies at university. I'm really looking forward to it. :D
If he comes to Vienna he's gonna meet me not u bish :lol:
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby Serby » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:51 am

Umm, exsqueeze me. You don't even speak fluent German, du hure. :lol:
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby SilentDream » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:13 am

MusicRecords wrote:
Serby wrote:
If he comes to Vienna he's gonna meet me not u bish :lol:
For my studies I'll stay in Graz, sorry. :P But I'm not opposed to moving to Vienna after university, if the job prospects are better there. :)
SilentDream
Manager

Postby MusicRecords » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:27 am

Serby wrote:Umm, exsqueeze me. You don't even speak fluent German, du hure. :lol:
He won’t be able to enjoy a Viennese sausage or schnitzel with u though cause you’re...that kind of person :P :lol:
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby al3c » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:03 pm

The huge disparity between the meaning of a degree at top universities and the meaning of a degree at third tier state universities, not to mention the gap between the low end of a respectable state university system and for profit diploma mills. makes discussions that dump all degree programs, and all student experiences, into one hopper to be sliced, diced and consomeed by the vegematics of Mr. Thiel and others ridiculous. If you don't want to invest in your education by going to college, by al means don't go; if you don't want to be there, I don't want you in my class. Surely there is a place in the world for mechanics, bricklayers, practical nurses, etc. and al the many other jobs that require skills but not a college education. Taken seriously, a successful college experience results not just in a degree or a job but a whole new set of ways at looking at the world. You can acquire a lot of this by reading on your own, but it requires discipline and I don't believe you can duplicate the experience of being part of a community of scholars without doing it. Many colleges are (in my opinion of an economics writer at https://www.upwork.com and http://yourhomeworkhelp.org) falling well short of this mark, especially the ones that advertise that you can go to class in pajamas, but there are many reasons for this, some mentioned in thread. These include degeneration of American culture, rise of anti-intellectualism, political devaluation of the institutions from both the left and the right, and a drumbeat that starts in childhood and tells students that the only way to value their life is by how much stuff they have when they die.
I'm sick of seeing Gates, Ellison, and Dell used as arguments against the value of an education. All of them did college level work with computers in high school, all went to top universities and were well placed by interest and ability to exploit business opportunities that were likely once in a lifetime chances. The average student is nothing like Gates.
al3c
Groupie

Postby mongol » Sat May 05, 2018 8:59 am

Hello everyone, was interesting to read your article. Usually i'm reading New York Times, but now i will read you too!
mongol
Groupie

Postby clh_hilary » Thu May 10, 2018 11:11 pm

Undergraduate Degree: The University of Hong Kong
Disciplines: English, education, history
Graduate School: The University of Oxford
Disciplines: Applied Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition

Yes, it's expensive, but my parents paid for the degrees.

I also did certificates (not long distance) at Cambridge, U of Queensland, and last year back to Oxford.
WhatTheHell wrote:Voice of the truth here!! :(
clh_hilary
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:27 pm

clh_hilary wrote:Undergraduate Degree: The University of Hong Kong
Disciplines: English, education, history
Graduate School: The University of Oxford
Disciplines: Applied Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition

Yes, it's expensive, but my parents paid for the degrees.

I also did certificates (not long distance) at Cambridge, U of Queensland, and last year back to Oxford.
Show off :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby clh_hilary » Sat May 19, 2018 2:38 am

menime123 wrote:Show off :lol:
Did I mention I was in the Oxford University Student Union Council and sat on a university board with like 17 other directors/deans of departments/faculties?
WhatTheHell wrote:Voice of the truth here!! :(
clh_hilary
Superstar

Postby Rihab » Sat May 19, 2018 12:56 pm

Serby wrote:Umm, exsqueeze me. You don't even speak fluent German, du hure. :lol:
yasss go in sis :lol:
Rihab
Legend

Return to The Lounge