French Language

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

Postby jpguy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:35 am

I'm studying it, and I personally find it a bit hard... any French students and speakers here?

Je aime la langue francois!
Last edited by jpguy on Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:40 am

I studied French as a second language myself throughout school (French, along with English, are the official languages of Canada), and while I wouldn't say I'm fluent myself, I have a fairly good knowledge of French and can understand bits and pieces of conversations in French. I've visited both France and Quebec and have been able to get by in both speaking mostly French.
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby jio » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:42 am

Je deteste francais (la langue). Trop difficile pour moi. Je pense que j'ai perdu huit ans de ma vie avec cette langue-merde lol
jio
Legend

Postby crazyman324 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:48 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgzMSkHZ69A

EDIT: I love French. Not quite fluent. But I get by.
crazyman324
The Ringleader

Postby pcdm3 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:00 am

I do not like it at all.

I've been studying french since elementary school and it's just not my cup of tea.
pcdm3
Manager

Postby Tansike » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:34 am

I had French for 5 years in School and also for 3 years in my education, because it's unfortunately one of four of the national languages here in Switzerland. But now after nearly 2 years without learning it, i forgot almost everything because it's really a difficult language. The only thing i know is "Je ne comprends pas français" and "Je ne parle pas français" :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:36 am

Only thing I can say in French is omlet de formagie thanks to Dexter's Laboratory.
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Shortie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:07 am

Agreed with Toni. :lol: The funny thing is I've started learning this year and my teacher is something like ***goes in front of the class, counts from 1 to 100 and then, pointing me, says: Repeat*** :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shortie
Personal Assistant

Postby Titan3510 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:11 am

pcdm3 wrote:I do not like it at all.

I've been studying french since elementary school and it's just not my cup of tea.
This.

Spanish is a lot more straightforward and it just sits with me a lot better...
I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
--Katy Perry
Titan3510
Superstar

Postby Formusic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:42 am

I was in Paris with my parents last summer and it was great... I can say that I m fluent :lol:

It only took me 2 weeks to learn it :P

Spanish is way more difficult IMO
The yuppies networking, the panic, the vomit, the panic, the vomit, God loves his children, God loves his children...yeah.
Formusic
Manager

Postby Play » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:22 am

I've been learning french for just a while and I finished the first course (out of nine).

I enjoy it pretty much, because I love the phonetics of French and every time you speak it just sounds so lovely and as if you are reading some poem or something.

I prefer French over Spanish any day.
Play
Legend

Postby Crazy4Brit » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:55 am

*I'm an Italian speaker and:

both Spanish and French seem to be not so hard to learn for me. That said, as far as i know Spanish has a hard grammar to study, harder than french's one.

A couple of months ago i decided to learn a new language and the options left were French, Spanish and German.(as i already know English and Italian + modern Greek + studied Latin for 5 years )

French and Spanish would have been A LOT easier than German for me, this is why i decided to start learning German (i only knew a couple of words = 0 knowledge of the language) which is a fascinating and useful language imo. It was a challenge for me 8-)
Crazy4DaveFranco....ehm, i mean Brad
Crazy4Brit
Superstar

Postby summer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:35 am

I always loved French but took German as my second foreign language at the university. Tried to take French but had to quit due to lack of free time. If I ever choose to study any more languages I'll do French and/or Spanish.

German was much easier for me in terms of pronunciation but I had a few problems with its grammar. At some point had a feeling that my native language was influenced by German a lot. :lol: Only after living in Germany for a short while I realized I don't like it and had made a wrong choice. :(

But it's always great to learn some new stuff. I feel I can study anything after English, German and Latin . :lol: :lol:
summer
Superstar

Postby jio » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:51 am

JustForMe wrote:I always loved French but took German as my second foreign language at the university. Tried to take French but had to quit due to lack of free time. If I ever choose to study any more languages I'll do French and/or Spanish.

German was much easier for me in terms of pronunciation but I had a few problems with its grammar. At some point had a feeling that my native language was influenced by German a lot. :lol: Only after living in Germany for a short while I realized I don't like it and had made a wrong choice. :(

But it's always great to learn some new stuff. I feel I can study anything after English, German and Latin . :lol: :lol:
Yeah, the Germanic countries are such a borefest. I only went to Austria a few times and it made me completely uninterested to visit Germany (which has to be better) and Switzerland.
jio
Legend

Postby summer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:14 am

jio wrote:Yeah, the Germanic countries are such a borefest. I only went to Austria a few times and it made me completely uninterested to visit Germany (which has to be better) and Switzerland.
Well I liked the place where I stayed, it was really beautiful and people were super friendly :D But I realized that I can't when everything around is in German including TV :lol: Too much of German plus there were personal reasons 8-)

I heard that Bavaria is a really cool place to visit :D
summer
Superstar

Postby stevyy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:16 am

JustForMe wrote:
Bavaria, ehm no! Berlin, Hamburg or Cologne are THE places to be.
stevyy
Legend

Postby LotsOfLove » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:18 am

I know french:)

I've studied it now for 11 years in school :lol:
LotsOfLove
Manager

Postby Crazy4Brit » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:21 am

Well i like both Germany and Austria to be honest and i would even live there for some time (just to gain some experience of course). Vienna is a great city to live in imo, not too big and not too small + it's stunning.

Talking about Germany i've only been to Berlin and Munich and i loved them both. I'm planning to go to Frankfurt as well in the near future as there are several low cost flights from the airport near my house, but unfortunately i don't have enough free time lately
Crazy4DaveFranco....ehm, i mean Brad
Crazy4Brit
Superstar

Postby Frederic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:29 am

French is one of Belgium's official languages (native French speakers make up about 40% of the country's population, 60% in capital Brussels) along with Dutch and German. Because of that, French is a main subject at our primary and high schools starting at the age of 10, so I had it taught for eight years.

I love French but it's one of those languages with an infinite vocabulary! :lol:
Frederic
Good Boy Gone Bad

Postby summer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:36 am

stevyy wrote:
JustForMe wrote:
Bavaria, ehm no! Berlin, Hamburg or Cologne are THE places to be.
I've been to Cologne and liked the place, would love to visit Berlin one day. :D Friends visited Bavaria and enjoyed it. As far as I remember you can easily go to Venice from there (that's what they did). I stayed near Dusseldorf and went to Netherlands and Belgium for a short while (my city and Uni established some kind of special relations with one of the German cities which made it easier for us to go there). :D :D

I studied German history and partially the German literature. Maybe it's my teacher who discoraged me from properly studying the language and I'd start liking it again some time later. :( I invested too much time in it. :lol:
summer
Superstar

Postby Frederic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:42 am

JustForMe wrote: stayed near Dusseldorf and went to Netherlands and Belgium for a short while (my city and Uni established some kind of special relations with one of the German cities which made it easier for us to go there). :D :D :
Woo! Where did you go?
Frederic
Good Boy Gone Bad

Postby summer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:59 am

Frederic wrote:
JustForMe wrote: stayed near Dusseldorf and went to Netherlands and Belgium for a short while (my city and Uni established some kind of special relations with one of the German cities which made it easier for us to go there). :D :D :
Woo! Where did you go?
I don't remember now. I recall we've been to Aachen, Maastricht and something else during one day. :oops: But I loved it. :oops: :D :D
summer
Superstar

Postby Frederic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:18 pm

JustForMe wrote:
Frederic wrote:
Woo! Where did you go?
I don't remember now. I recall we've been to Aachen, Maastricht and something else during one day. :oops: But I loved it. :oops: :D :D
Oops, none of those are in Belgium! :lol: But both cities are great to visit, especially Aachen, love that city.
Frederic
Good Boy Gone Bad

Postby cristy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:43 pm

I've been studying French since 5th grade and I think I'm pretty good, although I can't really speak that fluently. Nonetheless I took the DELF exam last year and passed (B1 Level). :lol:
cristy
Superstar

Postby DnBLover » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:49 pm

I'd love to be fluent in french, I can only say a couple of things though.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Return to The Lounge