French Language

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

Postby RayRay » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:16 pm

Formusic wrote:
maroon wrote:A dying language??! Are you serious?
In Asia all European languages except for English are dying then. :lol:
:lol:

I mean for an official UN language it's not that global, in many asian countries you can see the spanish traduction at airports.
French is big in Africa though.
RayRay
Legend

Postby flopho » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:10 am

i know this song is the definition of basic but i just can't understand how it wasn't a hit across Europe, played this in the car (truthless :cry: ) a few times and basically everyone loved it and bopped to it :lol:
I'm 100% sure that this would've been a hit at least in Germany with a bit of promo
¡Eh, mamá!
Me quiero matar
El mundo se va a la mierda
Y no he hecho nada
flopho
Legend

Postby Benny » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:54 am

flopho wrote:i know this song is the definition of basic but i just can't understand how it wasn't a hit across Europe, played this in the car (truthless :cry: ) a few times and basically everyone loved it and bopped to it :lol:
I'm 100% sure that this would've been a hit at least in Germany with a bit of promo
It was a hit in Greece and Poland. I agree that a bit of promo would have made it a success in other countries like Germany as well, given how catchy the song and how good-looking Kendji is.
Benny
Legend

Postby Serby » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:40 am

Romani guy that grew up in Spain (Barcelona I think), speaks 3 languages and is hawt. I want. But he was just 18 when sor came out or so, he looks at least few years older. :lol:
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Rihab » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:51 pm

I love how more and more products have gone 'bilingual' lately. Doesn't matter if you're buying a new TV, soap, cornflakes or toilet paper, they all come with a German and a French product description now. You practically get a free language course whenever you go shopping.
Rihab
Legend

Postby Serby » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:38 am

Market expanding, I think. :lol:

Imagine you had German and Austrian version on everythig you buy. :lol: that's how it is in Bosnia, things wrotten in 3 languages, which are all one same and all say 95% the exact same thing, with sliiiight difference. :lol:
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby flopho » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:54 pm

Serby wrote:But he was just 18 when sor came out or so, he looks at least few years older. :lol:
ikr! i remember when this came out and i read a comment saying he was born in the same year as me and i was like "damn and here i am looking like a potato" :lol:
¡Eh, mamá!
Me quiero matar
El mundo se va a la mierda
Y no he hecho nada
flopho
Legend

Postby Serby » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:04 am

He looks like a zaddy to be mhhm
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby AndiIversen » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:55 am

RayRay wrote:
Formusic wrote:
maroon wrote:A dying language??! Are you serious?
In Asia all European languages except for English are dying then. :lol:
:lol:

I mean for an official UN language it's not that global, in many asian countries you can see the spanish traduction at airports.
French is big in Africa though.
A French teacher once told me she felt that French was a dying language (she was from Bordeaux) ...but y'know, she was French and well, they like the drama sometimes
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:22 pm

J'aime bcp le vin rosé
Mariah saved Xmas and Gaga is saving Pop and Hollywood.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Rihab » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:11 pm

I sometimes cite random French literature in my term papers (even if the exact same works are also available in English and / or German) because I think it makes me look smarter and gets me better grades. :oops: :lol:
Rihab
Legend

Postby TIfan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:03 pm

My job now has positions in Paris. They say I must be fluent in English and French. I only know a little bit of french. Does anyone know how long it takes to learn the basics, just to hold a decent conversation?
TIfan
Legend

Postby Serby » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:26 am

I'd say 3 months would be enough based on my previous language learning experiences. Depends what's basic for you.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby TIfan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:15 am

Serby wrote:I'd say 3 months would be enough based on my previous language learning experiences. Depends what's basic for you.
Thanks. I also though 3 months would be good and then I learn more when i get there lol.
TIfan
Legend

Postby Carbon » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:55 pm

what kind of conversation can you have after 3 months of learning though? unless it's intensive learning combined with living in the country.

maybe I'm too harsh or too big of a perfectionist, but I would say it takes at least one year to have a decent conversation. and by conversation, I'm not thinking about exchanging a few sentences at the supermarket or saying something basic about yourself

not to mention French is extremely hard to understand when you're speaking with native speakers.

Idk, I'm probably viewing it differently :lol: I generally do tend to be a perfectionist. Three months is enough to learn and understand some basics, that's for sure
Carbon
Legend

Postby Rihab » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Carbon wrote:not to mention French is extremely hard to understand when you're speaking with native speakers.
True.

+ they immediately give you THIS look when you dare to mispronounce even word
Rihab
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Bonjour bishes 8-)
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby Serby » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:18 pm

MusicRecords wrote:Bonjour bishes 8-)
Google translate skills on fleek

@carbon I agree, but idk what was meant with basic level. I somehow managed to soak all the portuguese in 3 months of reading an grammar book (tho I was a bit longer exposing myself to its and bits of it). If not 3 months, 6 would suffice for sure, no?
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby RayRay » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:58 pm

It took my husband 6 months to learn enough Dutch to be part of a conversation.
So I guess with French it could be the same.
Depends on the person of course. Learn the language, watch tv in the language, live in the country. Be part of as many things possible to soak it up till you start to think in the other language.
RayRay
Legend

Postby Serby » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:11 am

For me, 3 months at uni were enough to be able to speak Dutch at least a bit, maybe not about many topics, but quite a few nonetheless. I'm around A2 level now.

Neemt u me niet kwalijk souda so cute btw.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Return to The Lounge