French Language

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

Postby Serby » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:21 pm

tongue* :lol:

How did you go by with your English? Were they rude when it comes to that?
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Carbon » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:33 pm

I didn't have any experience with rude French people in France. Everyone was really normal and nice. Maybe because I spoke to them in French :lol: there was even an old lady in Versailles who I asked for directions in French and she replied in English because she thought it might be easier for me to understand. Idk, everyone was nice.

Might be different if you don't speak French at all. Even though I heard all sorts of bad stuff about them, but a lot of them knew English at least a little bit
Carbon
Legend

Postby Serby » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:38 pm

My friend said she met a teenage guy that could speak about zero English and I've heard about their 'hate' towards English a lot.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Timmy94 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:39 am

Serby wrote:My friend said she met a teenage guy that could speak about zero English and I've heard about their 'hate' towards English a lot.
Most French and English native speakers are very individual, to say it in a nice way, when it comes to the adaption of foreign languages in general...
Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!
Timmy94
Legend

Postby Chun » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:30 am

Pourquoi woood Ai study Anglais, theaare barbaarrs.
Chun
Legend

Postby Rihab » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:33 am

Chun wrote:Pourquoi woood Ai study Anglais, theaare barbaarrs.
something like that, yeah :lol:
Rihab
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:38 am

Serby wrote:How did you go by with your English? Were they rude when it comes to that?
Nah they were fine + I'd been re-assured beforehand that my lack of French would be ok if I ever went to the province. If I looked at someone with a blank expression when they were saying something in French that I couldn't understand, they spoke back at me in English thankfully. Well, for the most part...I did have this girl at a food outlet totally dismiss me when I spoke English. I had this funny feeling she may have bitched to her co-worker whilst I was waiting for my food saying that I was "Americain" (American). Felt like giving her a piece of my mind, but I think I was just being paranoid.

Overall the dual language thing works out fine, for the most part everyone I encountered in the service industries all spoke English as well. Still hasn't stopped me from wanting to learn French though.
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Carbon » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:35 am

this language is so under-represented here :cry:
Carbon
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:53 am

Carbon wrote:this language is so under-represented here :cry:
parce que cette langue est très difficile.

Je n'ai (participle of parler) la langue française depuis 2012.

Damn, I even struggled with that stupid sentence xD
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Carbon » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:25 am

''parlé'' est le mot que tu cherches :D

je ne savais pas que tu parles français, mainshow! trop trop peu de francophones ici
Carbon
Legend

Postby flopho » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:04 am

can't believe i've had French intensive course in high school for so long and only one year later i've forgotten so much :cry: currently busy with Spanish but after that i really want to relearn it

bop 8-)
¡Eh, mamá!
Me quiero matar
El mundo se va a la mierda
Y no he hecho nada
flopho
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:27 am

I have neglected this language so so much, it will be a tragedy when i receive a masters degree in it.

honestly shouldn't have even bothered enrolling it tbh, could've just taken a course and my knowledge would be the same
Carbon
Legend

Postby Serby » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:00 pm

French is my last target language (for now at least) that I never actually tried to learn or have a real plan to learn, but now that I'm learning and can speak some Portuguese, I realise that French has a lot in common with it and I can kinda understand quite some of it in the written form. So I give it 2-3 years the most before it becomes my new obsession. :lol: I also think it's gonna have the perfect timing cuz it's the most difficult of the big three Romance languages and I'm sure I'm gonna profit from keeping it for the end, rather than learning it before the other two.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby RayRay » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:55 pm

I think French is a beautiful language. Although I didn't do well, the last year I had French so my parents send me to a French-speaking-camp. We were only allowed to speak French for four weeks. Which I hated even more, was that we were not allowed to play music. :-?

There are some French singers I love to listen to:

- Lara Fabian
- Celine Dion
- Mylene Farmer
- Zazie
- Tina Arena
- Kate Ryan
- Natasha St-Pier
RayRay
Legend

Postby Kpop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:53 am

In my experience when in France don't ask anyone if they speak English. If you only know a bit of French try to use it, and if they speak English they will reply to you in English
Kpop
Roadie

Postby Biebz » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:34 pm

I studied this for 8 years and by the end of it I still couldn't have a proper conversation with someone. The way schools in the UK teach languages is absolute garbage :lol:

I still managed to get an A but only because I memorised the full page for my oral exam
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby SilentDream » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:46 pm

I've been learning French for 5 years now and I've already been to France several times. I really enjoy speaking French, even though it's not always an easy language. :)
SilentDream
Manager

Postby Serby » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:45 pm

I love French, sounds the best when people argue. :lol: I don't give it the love it needs, but I will soon. I think knowing Portuguese (unlike Spanish) helps a lot, so when I'm done with that one, I'll finally start with French.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby maroon » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:57 am

RayRay wrote:There are some French singers I love to listen to:

- Lara Fabian
- Celine Dion
- Mylene Farmer
- Zazie
- Tina Arena
- Kate Ryan
- Natasha St-Pier
They might all sing in French but actually only Zazie is 100% French from this list. :lol:
Lara Fabian and Kate Ryan are Belgian, Tina Arena is Australian, Celine Dion and Natasha St-Pier are Canadian while Mylene Farmer might have grown in France but was also born in Canada. From your list I only like Mylene and Zazie as they're the most original but in general I prefer men singing in French as it sounds sexier. :P
maroon
Superstar

Location: Amsterdam (NL) / Gijón (ES) / Rzeszów (PL) / Brno (CZ) / Cork (IE)

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:59 pm

This is a language I'm planning on learning as one of my key improvement points for 2017. May the good sis Rosetta Stone come through for me. :lol:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Formusic » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:56 am

My ex was from Paris, when we used to be together we exclusively spoke French..it's not as difficult as Japanese or German, and it's a bit romantic lol

It's a dying language though imo, in Asia for instance it's totally useless, they don't even have the french traduction of their gates and other information boards.
The yuppies networking, the panic, the vomit, the panic, the vomit, God loves his children, God loves his children...yeah.
Formusic
Manager

Postby maroon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:33 pm

A dying language??! Are you serious?
In Asia all European languages except for English are dying then. :lol:
maroon
Superstar

Location: Amsterdam (NL) / Gijón (ES) / Rzeszów (PL) / Brno (CZ) / Cork (IE)

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:56 am

Serby wrote:I love French, sounds the best when people argue. :lol: .
I don't think i've ever heard a french argument before... :lol:.
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby Formusic » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:29 am

maroon wrote:A dying language??! Are you serious?
In Asia all European languages except for English are dying then. :lol:
:lol:

I mean for an official UN language it's not that global, in many asian countries you can see the spanish traduction at airports.
The yuppies networking, the panic, the vomit, the panic, the vomit, God loves his children, God loves his children...yeah.
Formusic
Manager

Postby Serby » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:27 am

Cuz Spain used to be a big collonial force in Asia back in the time? I do feel that French is the least global of all big European languages, though.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Return to The Lounge