Diet and also supplementary pills or shakes that some of you use :D
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby summer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Loveguru wrote:Alright hit me with hints and tips :D

Diet and also supplementary pills or shakes that some of you use :D
20 Super Foods You Need to Build Muscle & Lose Fat

To build muscle & lose fat, you need a variety of proteins, veggies, fruits, carbs, and healthy fats. Eating protein helps building & maintaining muscle. But it also helps fat loss: protein has a higher thermic effect than carbs/fats.

Eating fats also helps fat loss: your body holds fat if you don't eat fats. Fruits & veggies contain vitamins & minerals, necessary for recovery from your workouts. And carbs fuel your muscles so you feel full of energy at the gym.

Lots of you struggle to get these foods. Sometimes because you're too busy or sometimes because you just lack information. This list will help you — 20 super foods you need to build muscle & lose fat.

1. Whole Eggs. Cheap & rich source of protein: 7g/egg. The yolk contains most nutrients: half the protein, vitamins A/D/E and cholesterol to naturally increase your testosterone levels.

Don't worry about cholesterol in eggs. Dietary cholesterol isn't bound to blood cholesterol. Read this, this, this & this. If you have bad cholesterol, lower your body fat rather than throwing the yolk away.

2. Fish Oil. Reduces inflammation (joints/skin), lowers body fat and increases testosterone levels. You need 9000mg EPA/DHA per day. Since you'll probably struggle to get that from eating fatty fish, consider a fish oil supplement.

3. Wild Salmon. One of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids that also gets you 20g protein per 100g serving. Farm raised salmon is, however, omega-3 deficient: it's corn/grain fed. Go with wild salmon.

4. Berries. Strong antioxidants that prevent cancer, heart & eye diseases. Any kind works: cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc. Buy fresh or frozen berries and mix with oatmeal.

5. Yogurt. Contain bacteria that improve your gastrointestinal health. Don't buy frozen yogurt or yogurt with added sugar and fruits at the bottom. Get plain low fat yogurt. Eat it with berries & flax seeds.

6. Flax Seeds. Source of fiber, protein & omega-3. Grind the flax seeds to get the most out of them. Take 1 tbsp with yogurt & berries before going to bed. Stay away from flax oil: it's unstable and contains no fiber.

7. Extra Virgin Olive Oil. 70% monounsaturated fats that protect against heart diseases and cancer. Add 1-2 tbsp olive oil to your salads. Buy Extra Virgin Olive Oil: it contains more polyphenols and tastes better.

8. Mixed Nuts. Contain mono- & polyunsaturated fats, proteins, fiber, vitamin E, zinc, potassium, magnesium, etc. Mixed nuts are caloric dense, great if you're a skinny guy who wants to gain weight.

Anything works: almonds, walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, ... Peanut butter also works as long as you buy natural peanut butter without added salts/sugars.

9. Red Meat. Protein, vitamin B12, heme iron, zinc, creatine, carnosine and even omega-3 if you eat grass-fed beef. Eat steaks & hamburgers from top round or sirloin. Read Dr. Lonnie Lowery's article on Meat.

10. Broccoli. High in cancer-fighting phytochemicals and anti-estrogenic indoles. Broccoli is also high in soluble fiber and low calorie, helping fat loss. Eat other cruciferous vegetables for a change: cabbage, bok choy, cauliflower, kale, ...

11. Spinach. One of the most alkaline foods. Spinach prevents muscle & bone loss, but also cancer and heart diseases because of its high nutrient profile. Try one of the spinach recipes I shared a while back.

12. Turkey. If you don't believe saturated fat is good for you, try white turkey. The leanest beef has about 4.5g saturated fat/100g, while white turkey has close to 0g (that why it's so dry). Eat turkey with spinach & quinoa.

13. Quinoa. South American "king of grains". Quinoa is higher in fiber & protein than rice or oats, tastes a lot better and is gluten free. Buy the whiter grain, it's better quality. Eat it post workout with meat & spinach.

14. Oats. Reduce cholesterol, provide you with low-gi carbs for energy, and high in soluble fiber. Try this post workout shake of whey & oats.

15. Tomatoes. High in lycopene, which prevents cancer. The lycopene in tomato paste is 4 times more bioavailable than in fresh tomatoes. Have pizza or pasta with tomato sauce & olive oil post strength training.

16. Oranges. Vitamin C to fight diseases, magnesium to lower blood pressure, anti-oxidant beta-carotenes, etc. Quit drinking processed orange juice which often has added sugars. Eat oranges or make your own orange juice.

17. Apples. Pectin in apples helps weight loss by increasing satiety. Apples are also the strongest antioxidiant after cranberries (eat the peels). Unfortunately apples are one of the most pesticide-contaminated fruits. Go organic.

18. Carrots. Their huge vitamin A content improves eye-health, especially night vision. Carrots are also rich in fiber, low calorie and taste good, even raw.

19. Water. Your body holds water if you don't drink enough. Drinking prevents water retention, helps muscle recovery and prevents dehydration from strength training. Get a brita filter and drink 2 cups of water with each meal.

20. Green Tea. Strong antioxidant and natural diuretic. Green tea also speeds up fat loss, prevents cancer and improves blood sugar & circulation. Drink green tea in the morning instead of coffee. Real green tea, not the teabags.

Putting it All Together. Eat proteins, veggies, fruits & fats every 3 hours. 2 cups water with each meal. Carbs post workout only. Junk food 10% of the time. Get stronger in the meanwhile and you'll build muscle & lose fat.
summer
Superstar

Postby Serby » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:41 pm

It's quite expensive to gain weight I see :-?
Turkey? I don't know a single person who tried it.
Fresh vegetables outside summer season? Those exotic things? smh

I guess I'll be always skinny :P
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby DnBLover » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:44 pm

serbia95riri wrote:It's quite expensive to gain weight I see :-?
Are you serious? Turkey is so common around here.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby Hugo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:47 pm

BLover wrote:
serbia95riri wrote:It's quite expensive to gain weight I see :-?
Are you serious? Turkey is so common around here.
And it is very healthy!
"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Serby » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:00 pm

No, no :oops:
I know that turkey is normal thing to eat, especially in US. My post was meant to say that it's not common to eat turkeys here.
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby croatiaxtina » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:04 pm

It's expensive to have great body, and to be healthy :-?
croatiaxtina
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:09 pm

serbia95riri wrote:No, no :oops:
I know that turkey is normal thing to eat, especially in US. My post was meant to say that it's not common to eat turkeys here.
The thing is, both Hugo and I are European and probably eat Turkey quite often.

But it's not like we eat roasted turkey all the time, it's common here to eat "turkey beef", so you don't have to buy an entire turkey and it's not expensive. Something like pheasant is!
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby summer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:21 pm

serbia95riri wrote:No, no :oops:
We don't eat turkey that often, almost never. People mostly prefer chicken.
summer
Superstar

Postby Serby » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:34 pm

BLover wrote:The thing is, both Hugo and I are European and probably eat Turkey quite often.

But it's not like we eat roasted turkey all the time, it's common here to eat "turkey beef", so you don't have to buy an entire turkey and it's not expensive. Something like pheasant is!
Hmm, people here don't like to "experiment" with food, at least those that I know. I'd like to try it one day.

Also, I have to try frog legs... just to find someone who's willing to share that meal with me in case that I don't like it. :P
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby summer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:18 pm

serbia95riri wrote:
Also, I have to try frog legs... just to find someone who's willing to share that meal with me in case that I don't like it. :P
:o Never ever!
summer
Superstar

Postby Serby » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:26 pm

JustForMe wrote:
serbia95riri wrote:
Most Chinese food restaurantes sell them :P
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Baditude » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:34 pm

JustForMe wrote:
serbia95riri wrote:
They are abundant in Louisiana. I've tried them.
I'm gonna do you like drugs tonight...
Baditude
Superstar

Postby Lemo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:40 pm

Gaining weight is so hard. I've been trying so hard for years but it never happens :lol: :lol:
"you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"
Lemo
Superstar

Postby Maninthistown » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:57 pm

I am 180cm and i have always been thin, i was 63kg last december but i lost a lot of weight this year and i am 51kg now :o I dont understand why, because I EAT ALL THE TIME.
I know what they say about the difference about far and muscle weight, but cmon, even the fat i cant get it, so... :evil:
Maninthistown
Roadie

Postby summer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:01 am

Baditude wrote:
JustForMe wrote:
serbia95riri wrote:
They are abundant in Louisiana. I've tried them.
How does it taste? :o
summer
Superstar

Postby croatiaxtina » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:13 am

Maninthistown wrote:I am 180cm and i have always been thin, i was 63kg last december but i lost a lot of weight this year and i am 51kg now :o I dont understand why, because I EAT ALL THE TIME.
I know what they say about the difference about far and muscle weight, but cmon, even the fat i cant get it, so... :evil:
and how old r u??

When I was 18 I had 63 kg, and I'm 183, now I'm 24, and I have 78 +/-, and I'm thin now, I can't even imagine how skinny I was 6 years ago :o

I ate at night and that's how I got 78 kg :lol:
+ going on university and study&study, and not moving :-? disgusting life :lol:
croatiaxtina
Legend

Postby JimJim » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:18 am

[essay]

I've been in the process of trying to gain weight for about a year and a half now.

At first I was doing really well, I went from 49kg to 56kg after some solid continual work at the gym for 5 months and drinking my protein shakes... then I became poor and couldn't go to the gym anymore.

So the weight dropped off. Now I'm in the process of rebuilding and floating in the 52-54kg region.

As a qualified PT & Exercise Scientist, I'd say it isn't an easy process and you definitely need to watch the type of exercise you're doing and what you're eating. Consistency is key.

There are essentially five things you can train for at the gym:
- Hypertrophy
- Strength
- Power
- Endurance
- Flexibility

University research indicates your workout should be:
- 45-60 minutes in length, 3-5x a week
- Primarily resistance (weights) training
- Starting your session from large muscle exercises (e.g. pull-up), working down to smaller muscle exercises (e.g. bicep curl)
- You should be doing 3-5 sets of each exercise, doing about 8-15 reps in each set
- Take your rest! You need to rest at least 1 minute between each set and between exercises, this is actually difficult for some people, wear a watch
- Let the sets/reps determine your weight load, if you think you can easily keep going after the third set, you're probably too light. At the same time, never compromise technique for increased weight (flinging your posture around in a bicep curl)
- In your reps, work on a 2:1:2 pace e.g. in a bench press, that would be two seconds downward, 1 second at the bottom and 2 seconds upward with the movement. Time under tension is important to how it affects the muscles.

These prescriptions have been proven to optimise hypertrophy (i.e. muscle gain).

[/essay]
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Maninthistown » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:22 am

croatiaxtina wrote:
Maninthistown wrote:I am 180cm and i have always been thin, i was 63kg last december but i lost a lot of weight this year and i am 51kg now :o I dont understand why, because I EAT ALL THE TIME.
and how old r u??

When I was 18 I had 63 kg, and I'm 183, now I'm 24, and I have 78 +/-, and I'm thin now, I can't even imagine how skinny I was 6 years ago :o

I ate at night and that's how I got 78 kg :lol:
+ going on university and study&study, and not moving :-? disgusting life :lol:
not bad for you even when u were 18.
Actually im 19 now, so imagine how skinny :D
Maninthistown
Roadie

Postby summer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:24 am

^ Thanks, Jim :D
summer
Superstar

Postby JimJim » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:34 am

Not a problem, maybe we can all motivate each other.

My biggest problem is forgetting to have my protein shakes! ...which are expensive too btw :(
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby summer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:37 am

JimJim wrote:Not a problem, maybe we can all motivate each other.

My biggest problem is forgetting to have my protein shakes! ...which are expensive too btw :(
Indeed! :D

I really need to open a thread about loosing and maintaining a relatively low and healthy weight. That could've been helpful for some people.
summer
Superstar

Postby abi » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:44 am

*bookmarks this page*
abi
Legend

Postby Loveguru » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:48 am

JimJim wrote:Not a problem, maybe we can all motivate each other.

Which shakes do you buy and thanks for the exercise response.

I should be fine with the exercise element as I am a physio just more the diet regime.

I don't have THAT big of an appetite :(
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby jpguy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:28 am

Being so skinny has it's negative side definitely :( !!!! I hate being skinny, BUT it also helps me with the boys :lol: :lol: :lol: but at work I'm seen as super duper gay and skinny ... so they won't promote me first or take me into consideration for other jobs I would say :evil: :evil:
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
jpguy
Legend

Return to The Lounge