Gaining Weight/Muscle

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

 

Postby Serby » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:54 pm

toni_pest wrote:gained 15kg since i went to uni. too lazy to do anything about it. giving up on life.
:o :lol: at least u got a booty now
be kind to every kind
User avatar
Serby
Dr. Serby
 
Posts: 37099
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011
Location: Halliwell Manor

Postby heppolo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:20 pm

I hate gaining weight or muscle, I just want to lose some more.
Waffles are checked cookies
User avatar
heppolo
Legend
 
Posts: 24664
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009
Location: interchangeable

Postby theMathematician » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:16 pm

Hey guys,

I am not really satisfied with my physique. I have always been skinny, basically your 'skinny fat' poster boy. For 5 months now, I have been doing hometraining including all kinds of exercises such as crunches, leg crossing and raising, planking and roman twists. I try to do it as often as possible, usually 5 days a week and with a total duration of 30 minutes. Additionally, I really try to focus on a good diet, including the veggies to each meal and a lot of water. I do have a dessert every now and then, but have limited my consume ever since. Apart from that, I hardly have any health sins like drinking alcohol, smoking, drinking coffee, sugar-heavy drinks, etc. And while I have noticed small progresses ever since, they are definitely not proportionate to the effort I invested in this project. There are other people who show bigger progresses after just a few weeks, while I am still mostly a skinny guy keeping the status quo. My goal would be a sixpack like Nick Jonas from that popular photoshoot I am sure you all know (Since you can see his chest area, I am probably not allowed to link to it.) for next swimming pool season. Does any of you guys have a clue how to get there? I would really love to have a sixpack once in my life as it would make me feel more self-confident in contact with other people :) .

Best regards
theMathematician
Roadie
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018
Location: Styria, Austria

Postby mickey » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:47 pm

Hey mate - A few comments:

theMathematician wrote:For 5 months now, I have been doing hometraining including all kinds of exercises such as crunches, leg crossing and raising, planking and roman twists. I try to do it as often as possible, usually 5 days a week and with a total duration of 30 minutes.
I hate to bring it to you but these are 5 lost months of your time. None of these exercises will do anything to help you reach your goal.

theMathematician wrote:And while I have noticed small progresses ever since, they are definitely not proportionate to the effort I invested in this project.
Again, reality check - none of the efforts you are referring to actually relate to your goal.

theMathematician wrote:I would really love to have a sixpack once in my life as it would make me feel more self-confident in contact with other people :)
EVERYONE has a six-pack (or any other #-pack, as this is driven by genetics), even you do, the question is whether your percentage of body fat allows your pack to show up.

theMathematician wrote:Does any of you guys have a clue how to get there?
1 - Get a gym membership, I do not know in which part Styria you live but if you are anywhere near Graz, you have plenty of options
2 - Hire a trainer, but a good one (which will not be cheap). Go to your gym and observe the trainers - what they do with their clients, how they train themselves, etc. If you think you can learn alone - go for an online trainer, there are plenty of option, do your research and pick the one that suits best your goals.
3 - Ditch the tacky moves and start doing complex exercises. The squat, the deadlift and the bench press should be your bible - twice per week. Forget about your disco muscles at the beginning, you can throw in isolation exercises when you are strong enough.
4 - Track your calories and make sure they correspond to your goals.
5 - There is plenty of scientific research out there (and that does not include bro science), educate yourself and apply common sense in everything you do.

Trust me (if you wish) - change will not happen overnight. Those people that you are referring to (with the bigger progress after few weeks) have probably won the jackpot with the genetic pool of the neighbourhood - you should be able to realise (judging by your username) what is the mathematical chance of that having happened to you as well ...
~ You can never out train a poor diet! ~
User avatar
mickey
Manager
 
Posts: 1912
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2002
Location: Austria

Postby Guru » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:45 pm

| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
User avatar
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 25502
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006
Location: On ukmix.org

Postby MusicJunk90 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:11 pm

theMathematician wrote:Hey guys,

I am not really satisfied with my physique. I have always been skinny, basically your 'skinny fat' poster boy. For 5 months now, I have been doing hometraining including all kinds of exercises such as crunches, leg crossing and raising, planking and roman twists. I try to do it as often as possible, usually 5 days a week and with a total duration of 30 minutes. Additionally, I really try to focus on a good diet, including the veggies to each meal and a lot of water. I do have a dessert every now and then, but have limited my consume ever since. Apart from that, I hardly have any health sins like drinking alcohol, smoking, drinking coffee, sugar-heavy drinks, etc. And while I have noticed small progresses ever since, they are definitely not proportionate to the effort I invested in this project. There are other people who show bigger progresses after just a few weeks, while I am still mostly a skinny guy keeping the status quo. My goal would be a sixpack like Nick Jonas from that popular photoshoot I am sure you all know (Since you can see his chest area, I am probably not allowed to link to it.) for next swimming pool season. Does any of you guys have a clue how to get there? I would really love to have a sixpack once in my life as it would make me feel more self-confident in contact with other people :) .

Best regards
Based on what you've said and your goals, you really need to hit the gym and start training with weights. These home exercises are cool for a lil cardio on your off-day or to help burn fat, but you need to add weights if you want to get bigger. Veggies? ok.. but the most important thing - you need to ensure you're getting a load of protein...
MusicJunk90
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 828
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014

Postby jochen » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:46 am

True
YOU cant blame nobody but YOU
User avatar
jochen
Manager
 
Posts: 4471
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008
Location: Germany, Hannover

Postby theMathematician » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:09 pm

@mickey: WOW, what a long response - thanks for that! I will comment on that later on!

@MusicJunk90: As a kid, I never cared about sports and so was skinny fat, which means skinny but not very muscly and most of the fat gets stored in the belly area. When I had the idea that I want to change a couple of things in my life, I thought that following the hometraining videos on YT (e.g. by Sascha Huber, a fellow Austrian fitness trainer) would be enough (along with the right diet of course), since their titles are like 'getting a sixpack without any gadgets'. Now I wonder whether they really don't work or whether I just didn't train hard enough. I know about the protein part and think that I could do more, although I already eat quite regularly white mean, fish/prawns, protein bars and Skyr with cereals. There is a gym in the neighbouring town but I'm still a bit reluctant to go there since quite a few people that go there know me :oops: .
theMathematician
Roadie
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018
Location: Styria, Austria

Postby DnBLover » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:35 pm

Eat, lift, rest. I always had the same attitude of I can't gain wait and I'm too thin.
Reality was, I've always been incredibly active, probably with a high metabolism and wasn't eating enough.

Since August I gained 9kg by tracking calories (3000 a day) and doing a simple training program Strong Lifts 5x5
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
User avatar
DnBLover
Legend
 
Posts: 14504
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009
Location: PT-NO

Postby theMathematician » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:08 am

@DnBLover: Thanks for telling us about your experience! I also believe that it can't be that hard to develop a sixpack and an overally athletic physique (not talking about a bodybuilder's type of body, of course). Why? Well, I see more and more young people (18-30 years old) having that type of body, making it seem like it's becoming the new beauty standard for men these days. It definitely hasn't been like that 10 years ago... While it still being a rare phenomenon, it seems to happen more and more often among teenagers (14-18 years) and, to my surprise, I even saw a young boy (maybe 10 years old at most) having a sixpack last year when I had a side job at the local swimming pool :o . Regarding those men in their 20s: Of course, they try to have a healthy lifestyle, but it's not like they live like saints and do sports 24/7 while only eating chicken with rice. I've already seen quite a few of them behaving like 'normal' people, such as eating the occasional schnitzel, drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes and even eating sweets - they definitely don't say 'no' to everything.
It's not like there are no people with a normal or even overweight body shape (though I see more overweight bodies among the 40+ generation), but in that quantity, it has to be possible to gain an athletic body with realistic means - I only haven't discovered it (yet) :lol: .
theMathematician
Roadie
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018
Location: Styria, Austria

Return to The Lounge