What is the point of living?

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

Postby thenightrebel » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:53 pm

Im getting to the point now where i am sick of my existence

i suppose the one thing keeping me alive is my family...but everything else is practically gone!

Seems like the last 22 1/2 years of my life were wasted on wishing for things to happen and when they did it was very very short bursts of my life, the reailty is most of my life is full of depression, anxiety and what ifs

I have a deep passion of songwriting, but don't see the point anymore as it seems every song which explains every feeling in the world has already been written.

i'm not creative or original - my brain as the power to dupe my mind into thinking ive come up with a great new idea - when in fact i'm just re-writing songs i know from own perspective.

I feel this is just a taste of what's in store... and well each and every day i do feel like ending it all but i feel that would be an extremely selfish thing to do especially with my mother and grandparents (who in 2005 lost their daughter) love me dearly...

Seems like this is the only thing that is keeping me alive. but what i do to keep the rest of me alive?

So far the suggestions that i currently have seem impossible and there is simply no way of making them possible - or so it seems!

Is it a good thing to maybe lay off the suicide thoughts in the very very small chance i may have something to live for tomorrow
thenightrebel
Groupie

Postby Wardo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:10 am

I think you should relieve the pressure on yourself - do the songwriting, but not seeking THE BEST results or a reason to live for. Do because you truly like it.

It's hardly true that 'every feeling in the world has already been written', because like art in general, is more the way you make it that will be personal. The subjects are old, of course (mainly because they're universal!)

Besides that, if I were you I'd talk to someone of my family or a friend. Sometimes sharing a thought (even a difficult one) puts things on perspective and only then you realise you still have much things to live, accomplish and discover :wink:
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby samra » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:17 am

The whole purpose of songwriting is to write about things from your perspective or from your experiences. Sure, everyone feels loneliness, depression, happiness or excitement but everyone experiences them in a unique way and every songwriter expresses them uniquely too. So just because people have written love songs or sad songs before, it doesn't mean they've felt the same type of love or sadness that you have.

As Wardo said, write because you love to write, not because you want to be the most unique songwriter or because you want to write about a brand new topic no one has thought of before.
Listen to my 2016 Eurovision Song Contest entry: MIRACLE
samra
Superstar

Postby cidermaster » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:16 am

Some of the best songs written have come from people on downers,or just come out or fighting downers.
cidermaster
Legend

Postby supernova1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:26 am

You should talk to someone about your worries. It sounds to me that you're still depressive. Talking to someone you trust or a psychologist can really really help! Like Wardo said it puts things in perspective and you get to see you CAN overcome your problems. Wish ya well.

Anyway the purpose of life is to pay taxes. 8-)
Brad wrote:I admire Putin
supernova1
Manager

Postby thenightrebel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:47 am

Thanks for your help!
thenightrebel
Groupie

Postby thenightrebel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:57 am

i've got this mindset at the moment where all art - including songwriting has turned into a ''competition'' where we have to try and be the best otherwise not write songs at all

From entertainment point of view shows like X Factor and The Voice are great and its great debating about those shows - but its getting rather ridiculous now the amount of pointless other talent contests - seems to be one formed every hour...

And i also get the vibe from the countless number of songwriting contests that exist people now are writing songs to win prizes which is not the point of writing songs at all - i don't like that idea of music and art being a competition.

They say they exist to recognise the world of other people. exist for two reasons - to have your money and to promote your songs - that's all

i'm not entirely against music contests - they can reward hard work and effort they just need to be line with other industry prizes (e.g Oscars) and judged by people in the industry - not some celebrity a-lister who can't tell thier arse from thier elbow.

and i don't like the thought of having to pay to enter these competitions. seems like a big f*** you to the artist if they losing more than their gaining essentially...
thenightrebel
Groupie

Postby oasisbobo » Fri May 17, 2013 9:56 pm

The point of living is to get by as best we can.
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Fri May 17, 2013 9:59 pm

oasisbobo wrote:The point of living is to get by as best we can.
Is that supposed to make people feel better!? :lol:

You must find your own meaning in life, just try to be happy and don't over-think things, that's my advice. :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Fri May 17, 2013 10:06 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:
Is that supposed to make people feel better!? :lol:

You must find your own meaning in life, just try to be happy and don't over-think things, that's my advice. :D
No it isn't meant to make anyone feel better. It was some wise words someone once told me :)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby Skoolio » Fri May 17, 2013 10:20 pm

There's no point. You have to accept the fact that living has no sense, and after that you do the best you can for yourself without hurting others (that's if you don't want to go to jail). You have to make peace with the absurd of existence and then you can find sense in the fight against that same apsurd. Death isn't by any means worse or more senseless than life. Everyone knows that it ain't worth living. It doesn't matter if we die as 30 or 70 year olds because either way the other people will continue living and that's the circle of life.
Some people believe in God, I believe in music. Some people pray, I turn up the radio.
Skoolio
Manager

Postby CrazyCrazy » Fri May 17, 2013 10:23 pm

^ How cheery! 8-) :lol:

Come on!!! People are so depressed in this thread, you must try to be happy! There is love out there, that's all most people need, there is meaning you just have to seek it, it's down to you to make your life mean something. :wink:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Fri May 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Skoolio wrote:Everyone knows that it ain't worth living.
I'd have to disagree with you there. I believe life is one of the best things that can happen to you.

But I think this sums it up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Sat May 18, 2013 2:40 am

I happen to agree. As long as you can find some light in the darkness and/or you try your best to make your life better & worthwhile, then living is far better than dying. Believe me, I have my moments of darkness & despair (too many of late tbh), but something tends to bring me around.
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Gagich » Sat May 18, 2013 9:21 am

Nothing lasts forever, so live it up, drink it down, laugh it off, avoid the drama, take chances and never have regrets because at one point everything you did was exactly what you wanted... :wink:
Gagich
Drunk In Love

Postby Migrate » Sat May 18, 2013 9:25 am

we were "born to die".

I believe life is a wonderful opportunity. We can experience so much yet a lot of times, we're afraid to do dare ... And I believe that everyone here has a purpose ...
Migrate
Manager

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat May 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Migrate wrote:we were "born to die".

I believe life is a wonderful opportunity. We can experience so much yet a lot of times, we're afraid to do dare ... And I believe that everyone here has a purpose ...
+1
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Serby » Sat May 18, 2013 1:45 pm

I was also wondering just yesterday if the life has a point and what would it be..
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby oasisbobo » Sat May 18, 2013 1:57 pm

Life is just a matter of opinion.
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby Guru » Sat May 18, 2013 7:01 pm

What a lovely topic.
Life offers many many challenges before we get to the top. There's excitement, anxiety, love, hate, and every other emotion possible.

I think my purpose to life would be to create a self legacy, which others will look back on and think what a beautiful one it is. But I don't do it for them. I do it for me. I believe in giving life 110% but don't aim for perfection. I aim to give life the bet they I can give.

I think a lot of people Iike myself, learn the hard way. We have these hopes, dreams and aspirations thinking it will happen in the first instance but I have realized that the people who make success look easy, actually went through what I went. They've also had pitfalls and u-turns before they got to the top. It's nev easy.

Ask Steve Jobs when he left Apple initially. Ask Beyonce who got dropped by Elektra Records in 1995.
We see success today and want success today. But we all need to stay focused and get up after every fall and realise that if we really want something that badly, nothing can get in our way and no amount of speed bumps can slow us down.

Focus is the main thing and mind power to control you! 8-)
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Marius » Sat May 18, 2013 11:56 pm

preyan wrote:What a lovely topic.
Life offers many many challenges before we get to the top. There's excitement, anxiety, love, hate, and every other emotion possible.

I think my purpose to life would be to create a self legacy, which others will look back on and think what a beautiful one it is. But I don't do it for them. I do it for me. I believe in giving life 110% but don't aim for perfection. I aim to give life the bet they I can give.

I think a lot of people Iike myself, learn the hard way. We have these hopes, dreams and aspirations thinking it will happen in the first instance but I have realized that the people who make success look easy, actually went through what I went. They've also had pitfalls and u-turns before they got to the top. It's nev easy.

Ask Steve Jobs when he left Apple initially. Ask Beyonce who got dropped by Elektra Records in 1995.
We see success today and want success today. But we all need to stay focused and get up after every fall and realise that if we really want something that badly, nothing can get in our way and no amount of speed bumps can slow us down.

Focus is the main thing and mind power to control you! 8-)
This is a great post. Really. I am a Preyan fan now.
To the OP, whatever you do, don't for a second think of suicide, life is too great to end it that way. There are so many things worth living for, get a degree, follow a religion, read philosophy, get a job, get a girl/boyfriend, just watch TV or have a beer, whatever floats your boat. No one's life is an easy ride, all you need to do is find whatever makes you move and keep following it.
I am not good with these things and certainly not a good writer, but i beg you, find smth that you love and pursue that, you'll be happy in the end.
Let's have a second referendum
Marius
Legend

Postby hotMCfan » Sun May 19, 2013 3:11 am

There is no answer to this question. You create your own meaning for the life you are living. My purpose in life is to help other people because I believe that that is the reason why we are born here with each other. Most people in this world want to be rich, but in my own vantage point MONEY cannot buy you anything. It cannot buy you happiness, relationships, and self-respect. Some people want power but if you are an intellectual being you should realize that you should use this power to contribute something positive to our society. I live in a third world country where most people are living under the minimum wage and using this power to counterbalance evil is called social justice in a developing country.

I'm only 20 and my life is just beginning I want to travel the world, study at different institutions, and use these experiences to help alleviate poverty in my country that is being ruled by corrupt and evil dynasties who just want to get a higher post in public office thinking that history would remember them. What they fail to realize is that nobody would remember them next week if they drop dead now.

For me, nothing is more important than taking part in the life of a person in need. It lies within our power to determine what is the point of our living.

The adventure of life is to learn, the nature of life is to change, the purpose of life is to grow and the triumph of life is to prevail, and I can only say I prevailed in life if I would be able to help the lives of other people. *cues Mariah Carey's Triumphant*
hotMCfan
Superstar

Postby Guru » Sun May 19, 2013 6:33 am

Write for your personal love of writing, not to please others. The latter would be a bonus. Give your all and your best. That is all.

As I type this, Miley,s "The Climb" came on the radio 8-)
I dedicate it to you! 8-)
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby MonaBlissa » Sun May 19, 2013 10:08 am

Been there. You are experiencing what all creatives go through. Your emotional health is as important than physical.

Do art for the love of it, and do it intentionally. Don't worry about others approval . People and society love you on their own terms, so you have no other choice BUT to love yourself no matter what is your circumstance. God loves you unconditionally.

Learn how to manage art versus making a living, and this has everything to do with other's approval. If you ever write or work for someone else, it is within their parameters. This is why you need to learn early on to soothe your emotional health with things that make you happy, but find a balance when you work out of your emotional happy zone.

Do you listen to podcasts for creative people, self help, growing creative business and leadership?

Do you believe in God? There's a gift that comes out of every hardship. It's part of the hero's journey.
Last edited by MonaBlissa on Sun May 19, 2013 11:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
MonaBlissa
Manager

Postby MonaBlissa » Sun May 19, 2013 10:27 am

thenightrebel wrote:Im getting to the point now where i am sick of my existence

i suppose the one thing keeping me alive is my family...but everything else is practically gone!

Seems like the last 22 1/2 years of my life were wasted on wishing for things to happen and when they did it was very very short bursts of my life, the reailty is most of my life is full of depression, anxiety and what ifs

I have a deep passion of songwriting, but don't see the point anymore as it seems every song which explains every feeling in the world has already been written.

i'm not creative or original - my brain as the power to dupe my mind into thinking ive come up with a great new idea - when in fact i'm just re-writing songs i know from own perspective.

I feel this is just a taste of what's in store... and well each and every day i do feel like ending it all but i feel that would be an extremely selfish thing to do especially with my mother and grandparents (who in 2005 lost their daughter) love me dearly...

Seems like this is the only thing that is keeping me alive. but what i do to keep the rest of me alive?

So far the suggestions that i currently have seem impossible and there is simply no way of making them possible - or so it seems!

Is it a good thing to maybe lay off the suicide thoughts in the very very small chance i may have something to live for tomorrow
Everybody is creative, you just have to work at creativity intentionally and constantly. People like Beethoven and Picasso created constantly before striking gold. Writers write freely first with no judgement, and later rewrite frequently.

And nobody is original, but a collection of prior ideas and transferred ideas. Thomas Edison's inventions and Einstein's theories were collections of prior inspiration. There is nothing new under the sun.

Suicide is a wasted. You'll never be able to tell someone your victory story if you end it.

Embrace novelty. Try new things; read new books; try new food; listen to new music. It will make your songs better. The part of the brain that soothes depressed feelings loves learning and discovering new things For example, go watch The Great Gatsby and think of song ideas or write your own soundtrack for it to help expand your creativity.
Last edited by MonaBlissa on Sun May 19, 2013 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
MonaBlissa
Manager

Return to The Lounge