What is the point of living?

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

Postby hotMCfan » Sun May 19, 2013 11:17 am

Monablissa is right. Learn and discover new things. Widen your perspective. Travel, watch foreign films, read books, enroll to a class you're interested, make new friends etc. Songwriters get their idea from their experiences. Plus trying new things and discovering is fun.
hotMCfan
Superstar

Postby MonaBlissa » Sun May 19, 2013 11:41 am

hotMCfan wrote:Monablissa is right. Learn and discover new things. Widen your perspective. Travel, watch foreign films, read books, enroll to a class you're interested, make new friends etc. Songwriters get their idea from their experiences. Plus trying new things and discovering is fun.
I stopped writing songs (temporarily) for a decade.

BUT NOBODY, I MEAN NOBODY will every tell me I'm not a songwriter or creator. (Bad songs an all) That fountain can be turned on.

I was just watching a video of old African-American instruments where this man made a bass-sounding string instrument from a coffee can. Amazing how people make art out of strife and lack of resources, even depression. It made me think of sampling that instrument to add to a song. Inspiration comes from everywhere.
Last edited by MonaBlissa on Sun May 19, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
MonaBlissa
Manager

Postby supernova1 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:42 am

But you need loads of money to do that and most people just don't have it.

You just can't go and do everything you want, there are many barriers (like bad physiclal/mental health, no time, financial problems etc.).
Don't mix an ideal world(where everything goes the way you want it) with the real world (where almost nothing goes the way you want it).
Brad wrote:I admire Putin
supernova1
Manager

Postby MonaBlissa » Sun May 19, 2013 12:07 pm

supernova1 wrote:But you need loads of money to do that and most people just don't have it.

You just can't go and do everything you want, there are many barriers (like bad physiclal/mental health, no time, financial problems etc.).
Don't mix an ideal world(where everything goes the way you want it) with the real world (where almost nothing goes the way you want it).
That's when creativity and sharing ideas and resources comes in. You make the best with what you have.

There is always a way, it just may not look the way you envisioned. And it definitely won't happen in the time you envision--some longer and some faster. And that may be a good thing.

***I don't want to write an essay, but I can breakdown the physical/mental, time, financial, and other problems from my own experience of why it's just not the end of the world, and suicide would be a waste***
MonaBlissa
Manager

Postby hotMCfan » Sun May 19, 2013 12:35 pm

^ Agreed. Inspiration and ideas come when the least you expect them. I remember directing a silent play and I was having a hard time pulling off a particular segment. One day I went to the salon and observed the people there and how they work. There were also mannequins there for wigs that looked like siamese twins. I also saw a peddler selling puppets near the church on the way back home. I got my ideas from observing those and was able to pull off the scene. Heck that segment won Best Segment and got me the Best Director award for it.

Yes, having a lot of money can be an advantaged but it is not a necessity and you should make use and be resourceful of what you have.
hotMCfan
Superstar

Postby MonaBlissa » Sun May 19, 2013 12:50 pm

hotMCfan wrote:
Yes, having a lot of money can be an advantaged but it is not a necessity and you should make use and be resourceful of what you have.
^Observation for ideas! Works every time!

There's a flip side to money advantage. There's a curse of abundance. Having too much can cloud your ideas and creativity.

There's a huge systems and productivity movement for creative people, because once you merge money+art, you're creativity may stifle with too much abundance (time, money, deadlines, friends, fame) in you life.

Perfect example: Some of our best pop stars could be making better music. But their abundance is making them delusional to see their crap lyrics , or declining vocals , or self-esteem/easily-influenced issues.

(We need a Creative Ideas and Innovation thread)
MonaBlissa
Manager

Postby Graham76man » Mon May 20, 2013 12:52 am

supernova1 wrote:But you need loads of money to do that and most people just don't have it.

Have I got news for you! You choose the problems you have now. :wink: Most people do. They don't pick an easy life as there's no challenge in an easy life. Life is a challenge you have to embrace it. There's no escape. If you take your own life you will find yourself back here facing the same problem again till you crack it.
Millionaires such as Pete Waterman often start out with poor backgrounds. In his case he was caught nicking nameplates of Railway Locomotives. Now he owns Railway companies!
Adam Ant has bipolar. It gave him the ability to write great music in the 1980's.
Did Stephen Hawkins let his health problem stop him?
Make time!
The world will present opportunities for you and will take them away. You have to make these rise and falls work for you.
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby RayRay » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:15 pm

MonaBlissa wrote:

That's when creativity and sharing ideas and resources comes in. You make the best with what you have.

There is always a way, it just may not look the way you envisioned. And it definitely won't happen in the time you envision--some longer and some faster. And that may be a good thing.

***I don't want to write an essay, but I can breakdown the physical/mental, time, financial, and other problems from my own experience of why it's just not the end of the world, and suicide would be a waste***
So true. I wanted to have my own radio program, so I volunteered at the local radio station and they did give me my own show.

I wanted to act/sing and auditioned till I found a job. I'm not even the best dancer/singer around, but I just kept looking around and giving my all at the auditions.

I wanted to write. So I sent articles to magazines, some of them were published. I wrote a newspaper I wanted my own column and they give me a trial column and readers responded well and so they gave me my own weekly column. I am a teacher now and I asked my boss if I could write the yearly musical for the twelve year olds and he said to try and everyone loved it and now I've writing and directing it for the last five years or so.

Sitting and waiting won't help. Complaining about health, barriers, etc. won't help either. Look around, ask, try, send stuff to various people, etc. etc. etc. And accept what you can do, not what you can't. I wanted to be a singer and so I was for a few years. Not famous or anything, but I did do what I loved. I wanted to present a radio show and so I did. Just local, but still it was great to do.
RayRay
Legend

Postby jumpingjack00 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:28 am

Living is experiencing all things in life and finding the connection that binds us all -- connect to that and find self-realization, contentment, happiness and completeness :D
Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration. - AG
jumpingjack00
Personal Assistant

Postby Michiel » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:40 pm

Graham76man wrote:

Have I got news for you! You choose the problems you have now. :wink: Most people do. They don't pick an easy life as there's no challenge in an easy life. Life is a challenge you have to embrace it. There's no escape. If you take your own life you will find yourself back here facing the same problem again till you crack it.
Millionaires such as Pete Waterman often start out with poor backgrounds. In his case he was caught nicking nameplates of Railway Locomotives. Now he owns Railway companies!
Adam Ant has bipolar. It gave him the ability to write great music in the 1980's.
Did Stephen Hawkins let his health problem stop him?
Make time!
The world will present opportunities for you and will take them away. You have to make these rise and falls work for you.
Srr but I think that most of what you are saying is Bullsh*t.

First of all your examples are accurate. Well to a certain extent. You're summing up the good practices, but they are probably only 1 percent of the whole story. You're missing out on 99 percent of people who tried, but failed. Those are the stories you don't know ofcourse. So if I follow your mindset those are the no - lifers and the failers? They don't take their 'opportunities'? They didn't fight for it? Your approach is very hit & miss, individualistic & liberal (and psychological). Sounds like the american dream mindset to me. Or maybe you're gonna say they fought and died happy? Because they 'Tried'. Very encouraging.

Most people don't make their own problems. Yes I agree it happens every single second of the day, especially in alot of Western countries, You forget that opportunities/resources are inequally divided over the whole world. I'm not going to get all Marx on you but you get what I'm saying.
Do you even know where ideas of 'American dream', 'seize your day' & what you're saying come from? Think about it.

The whole discours of 'Being happy' & 'Grab your opportunities' is very recent and very Western. But it's a very unfair model at the end of the day, well at least for the unlucky ones. And I agree that you can critique it how much that you want, but it won't change. Why? Because 'Point of life' is something that changes from time to time and from territory to territory. You don't have to be a philosopher to know that the never ending question of point of life is answered differently in Africa than it will be answered in Western Europe. And even that is a huge generalization. And with time I mean that the 'Point of life' question has changed alot even through the last 100 years. I don't know what the point of life is, but I'm sure that it is Time & Territory bounded. And with territory I also point out the constitution of a state. These differences are even more blatant.

So yeah your opinion is very correct if you put it in the context of liberal approaches in the current post modern western countries. But it would most definitely be not my answer to the question what's 'the point of life'. For me it is what it is: A never ending question.
I will give you one thing, if you wanna survive in the current age in the western countries that's the best state of mind you can wear. It's an approach that points all his arrows to individualistic responsibility. The issues with an approach like that are nourishment for researchers. And answers are wide spread already. The gap between rich and poor for example that's growing and growing is one of these things you can't help but link with such an approach. Because it blames the individual civilian, everything is his own fault.

You can't do what you want to do, that's a Western lie. And sure there are good/bad practices that mirror themselves with this western 'Truth'. But saying that's 'the truth' is just lying. Because it's a truth that will prob changes from time to time. Then there's no truth in it at all, well at least if we follow the classical objective & scientific definition of truth. Which is not the only defition ofcourse, but that's the one we all know.
Last edited by Michiel on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Common sense is a chaotic aggregate of disparate conceptions, and one can find there anything that one like."
Last.FM
Instagram
Michiel
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:42 pm

I start feeling cheerful then this thread pops up. :( :lol:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby PosziMC2 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:43 pm

to rise up like Lotus
P=MC2's Top 20
Merci wrote:Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!
PosziMC2
Legend

Postby DaBoi » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:05 pm

PosziMC2 wrote:to rise up like Lotus
That's not very encouraging Poszi.
Channel Orange Ray Of Light Electra Heart Back To Black
DaBoi
Legend

Postby kylespearsfenty » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:08 pm

If we look at it scientifically, it's to pass your traits on to the next generation.
I would tell you haters to **** off, but I'm still such a lady...
BUY CIARA
kylespearsfenty
Groupie

Postby Wardo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:17 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:I start feeling cheerful then this thread pops up. :( :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby supernova1 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:18 pm

One child gets born to an African woman who has AIDS and lives beyond extreme poverty while another child gets born to Jay-Z and Beyonce. Now tell me will both of those children have the oppurtunity to live a long happy prosperous life? Most of the time our destiny and future is determined by birth and we can't do anything about it sadly.
Brad wrote:I admire Putin
supernova1
Manager

Postby RayRay » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:23 pm

supernova1 wrote:One child gets born to an African woman who has AIDS and lives beyond extreme poverty while another child gets born to Jay-Z and Beyonce. Now tell me will both of those children have the oppurtunity to live a long happy prosperous life? Most of the time our destiny and future is determined by birth and we can't do anything about it sadly.
I believe everyone chooses their life before birth. So someone who is born in Africa poor and with AIDS has opportunities to learn maybe even more than someone who can live a long and 'happy' prosperous life. Life is not about how long you live or how 'prosperous' it is. Still, we have chooses. Why can two people with the same background lead a totally different life when they grow up? They choose a different direction. We create part of destiny ourselves. Of course it's easier to say we have no choice.
RayRay
Legend

Postby Michiel » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:58 pm

^ I don't think Supernova1 is denying the fact that there is not something like a 'personal aspect' in this whole thing. He's just saying it's more than only personal. Yes you have 'choices', but your choices are fairly limited because of circumstances on different levels of living. Not only circumstances in the sense of where you live and with who you grow up etc. but even further and deeper than that.

It's like some of you are saying that inequality in opportunities is a personal choice. And sure they are interwined. But it's only one dimension of opportunities. There's more to it. For example, it's not like that people who are living in poverty 'choose' to have lesser chances than people who have more resources.
"Common sense is a chaotic aggregate of disparate conceptions, and one can find there anything that one like."
Last.FM
Instagram
Michiel
Legend

Postby cidermaster » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:52 am

Good Friends
Nature
Loving And Being Loved
A Fantastic Pet(amazing Dog or cat?)
Playing Sports
Helping Others
UKMIX!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sense Of Humour
Good Films
Good Books
Family
Walks
Travel
Quality Social Drinking
The Pub!!!!!!!!!!!
cidermaster
Legend

Postby Guru » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:21 am

supernova1 wrote:One child gets born to an African woman who has AIDS and lives beyond extreme poverty while another child gets born to Jay-Z and Beyonce. Now tell me will both of those children have the oppurtunity to live a long happy prosperous life? Most of the time our destiny and future is determined by birth and we can't do anything about it sadly.
Valid point but we need to find inspiration in people like Richard Branson, Beyonce (who was born into a middle class home but had this zest for life and success), and not just rich, wealthy people. Mother Theresa, Princess Di (whom I miss tremendously), Mahathma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela.

Also based on your point, being born into wealth or garnering your own fame and success also doesn't mean that you are guaranteed a happy life. Paris Jackson is a good recent example. Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley, Amy Whinehouse...the list goes on.

We need to look around us. There is so much we can be inspired by. People. Things. Places. Events.
If any of you are considering ending this life, remember that it is a gift and even if you do end it, go out with a bang. Be happy and free before your dying hours. Whatever makes you happy, just do it. Don't give into societies and families pressures. Live your life your way. The way you define it. (There are fine boundaries though like no drugs, etc).

I posted this on my facebook yesterday...

Our presence is limited but our legacy is eternal!

I hope some of you can find ANY reason to live. I had a friend who recently committed suicide. She was a doctor, educated, cultured, beautiful. But all of that was note enough to keep her engines running. That is why people think I'm crazy when I say this, but we need to fulfill ourselves first before we allow other people and other things to fulfill us. Make ourselves happy and know that of things and people disappear from our lives, it will be sad but life goes on. And smile all the way forward.

Much love to all of you! :P
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby MrRager » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:23 am

*Edited for the people with no sense of humour*
Last edited by MrRager on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:00 am

Now was that post really necessary? This forum isn't X-rated you know. Keep the explicit talk to yourselves folks!
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby cidermaster » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:07 pm

Maybe MrRager meant Masterbaking lol??
cidermaster
Legend

Postby aaliyahman » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:17 pm

I don't think it will help but I have been thinking the same thing recently.

I came out of a long term relationship (6 years) in November. We lived together so the whole effort of moving into a new place and living on my own (for the first time) was stressful and heartbreaking. I have a good job so it was literally a lonely existence of living to work. I have friends but they have their own lives more so now as I'm 27 and things do change when you leave university and all 'grow up'. My family is very small and have their own issues and problems so mostly I feel largley alone. I staretd dating someone January, it didn't work out. I tried again in March and this one told me everything 'loved me wanted to move in etc. ' It was very fast but practically we were together every single day, I went to Spain to meet his friends and family, een stayed at his parents house. It really was 'lead by him' a very full on experience. Recently (yesterday) we had a night out and he just left me and a friend in a club I went to his, he told me he hated me/f off etc and it was all a lie. I could accept it and checked his phone to find he'd been 'talking to' a man from Dubai about moving over there, quoting prices and asking for this person to be his boyfriend. A physicakl fight ensued (started by him as I told him all the things he said his exes had done he was doing to me). And now I'm back to square one, or even worse so. For this person who was in my life every day for 3 months conned me basically into really thinking he was serious. He gstole my keys, lives in the street behind me and works on the same street as me and goes to my gym.

Although some friends have tried to rally around, I am left wodnering what is the point in all of this?
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby Serby » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:21 pm

^ Wow :o He's such a bitch!
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Return to The Lounge