The Album Cup Redemption | Important Announcement

Postby Tansike » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:08 pm

4 - Madonna - Mer Girl [Don't really get why this is discussed that much, it's easily the best in this round for me. Touching, raw, beautiful]
3 - Fleetwood Mac - Mystified [It's nice]
2 - Stevie Wonder - Ebony Eyes [Started as a pretty solid song like most of his entries, but to be honest i was bored after a minute and a half and it ended up as my least fave from him in the cup...]

Not the best round. I'm hoping for some nice picks in the Final.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Wardo » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:11 pm

Tomorrow around 1pm we'll know the two finalists!!! :D
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby Wardo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:30 am

Winning the bronze medal is...

Title: Songs In The Key Of Life
Artist: Stevie Wonder
Year: 1976
Nominated by: Goldmoney
History in the Cup: [REGULAR GROUP] #4 in the first round; #3 in the second round; #5 in the third round; #3 in the fourth round; #3 in the fifth round; #3 in the sixth round; #3 in the seventh round; #3 in the eight round; #3 in the ninth round
Songs played: As, Pastime Paradise, Village Ghetto Land, Sir Duke, Summer Soft, Isn't She Lovely, Black Man, I Wish, Ebony Eyes
Redeemed? Yes! First nominated by Plym, Stevie finished 11th in the Album Cup V. Now he can add a medal to his trophies room.
By the end of 1975, Wonder became serious about quitting the music industry and emigrating to Ghana to work with handicapped children. He had expressed his anger with the way that the U.S. government was running the country. A farewell concert was being considered as the best way to bring down the curtain on his career. Wonder changed his decision, when he signed a new contract with Motown on August 5, 1975, thinking he was better off making the most of his career.
There was huge anticipation for the new album which was initially scheduled for release around October 1975. It was delayed on short notice when Wonder felt that further remixing was essential. According to Wonder, the marketing campaign at Motown decided to take advantage of the delay by producing "We're almost finished" T-shirts. Work on the new album continued into early 1976. A name was finally chosen for the album: Songs in the Key of Life. The title would represent the formula of a complex "key of life" and the proposals for indefinite success.
A total of 130 people worked on the album, but Wonder's preeminence during the album was evident. Among the people present during the sessions, there were legendary figures of R&B, soul and jazz music – Herbie Hancock played Fender Rhodes on "As", George Benson played electric guitar on "Another Star", and Minnie Riperton and Deniece Williams added backing vocals on "Ordinary Pain".
In all, Songs in the Key of Life became the second best-selling album of 1977 in the U.S., only behind Fleetwood Mac's blockbuster Rumours, and was certified as a diamond album by the RIAA, for sales of 10 million units in the U.S. alone (each individual record or disc included with an album counts towards RIAA certifications) It was the highest selling R&B/Soul album on the Billboard Year-End chart that same year. On February 19, 1977, Wonder was nominated for seven Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year, an award that he had already won twice, in 1974 and 1975, for Innervisions and Fulfillingness’ First Finale.
SCOREBOARD

01. (01) Image..: RAY OF LIGHT :..[Madonna]... average score: 2,88
02. (02) Image..: TANGO IN THE NIGHT :..[Fleetwood Mac]... average score: 2,85
03. (03) Image..: SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE :..[Stevie Wonder]... average score: 2,75
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby Wardo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:38 am

Round 10 (FINAL)

ImageImage
Madonna - Little Star
Fleetwood Mac - Welcome To The Room... Sara

INSTRUCTIONS
Give 4 to the song you like the most - the other one will have 3 automatically.
After this round, we'll get to know the champion!
Voting closes between 24 and 48 hours from now.
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby Wardo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:46 am

4 Fleetwood Mac - Welcome To The Room... Sara Not my favorite side of Fleetwood Mac, still her voice is very unique and somehow it's a nice closure to the playlist.
3 Madonna - Little Star I can see why this was chosen as the final song, it does have the feeling of goodbye. I didn't like the lyrics, overall it was ok.

Speaking about both albums, while Tango in the Night was the biggest revelation for me (I only knew Rumours and some singles), with a great range of styles, solid instrumentation and lyrics, Ray of Light was a disappointment. Bar a few tracks, I don't think it lived up to the hype I heard all my life about it. Still, a powerful pop final by two artists that were overdue for a win in the Cup. Let's see what happens!
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby leomedar » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:31 pm

4 Madonna
3 Fleetwood

In my case it is quite the opposite to Wardo's feelings. Fleetwood was a disappointment. Thorughout the game few things stand out for me, and all in all it was an ok album. I was expecting more from them, I am not used to their music but always wanted to as Stevie Nicks is someone that gets my attention, specially since Sheryl Crow, a big fav of mine, has her as an inspiration, but nope, it was not for me, not even final worth. Stevie W would have been more appreciated.

Ray of Light has some of the best production and lyrics in Madonna's career imo. I started the first three rounds with non singles and, imo, the best three tracks of the album: Swim, Skin and Sky fits Heaven. Three amazing songs imo, and quite interesting lyrics that were a departure from previous Madonna style lyrics imo, with more metaphors and depth. Then I played safe with the singles, although in this game sometimes singles are killed lol- I closed the singles with the one that was a fan-choice and I believe a beautiful album opener, Drowned World. And the two final songs are what I think are her most personal songs, Mer Girl and Little Star, dedicated this last one to her newborn daughter. I think this was her last big full album and am very happy it finished in the final
leomedar
Superstar

Postby Carbon » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:47 pm

not a big fan of either song tbh

4 Madonna
3 FM

aside from Seven Wonders, Stevie's songs on this album are subpar for her usual standards
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Affillate » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:56 pm

Hmmm....... I agree with some of Wardo's thoughts, they both are nice ending songs to the cup. In that regard I Think I'll vote FM's over Madonna's for me this final for my 4pts.

4 Fleetwood Mac
3 Madonna

:)
Last edited by Affillate on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Affillate
Manager

Postby Benny » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:56 pm

4 FM
3 Madonna

I like both albums but 'Tango in the Night' is definitely the better one IMO.
Benny
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:44 pm

4 Welcome to the Room...Sara: 7.7/10 - This was just as good as "Little Lies". I enjoyed it!
3 Little Star: 6.5/10 - Uneventful, but not entirely boring.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby trebor » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:02 pm

When electing my album, I didn't give too much thought to the songs after #5 since I never thought I would make it this far. (Ranked them by iTunes popularity BTW).
In hindsight it did much better than my initial choices would ever had: Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd where I couldn't find an album that had 10 songs on it, decent sounding videos or an album with some diversity for general appeal.
So I'm against @Leo and if Madonna wins, I will be more than glad for both taking the cup! :D

Madonna's album is very good but the one songs that are more lyrically challenging are also the ones that lack the musical counterbalance to elevate them to fully fledged songs.
Stevie Wonder has an excellent #3 placing and I don't deem this album to be better than the two remaining ones. A legendary status doesn't automatically grant you higher than average assessments. (See Michael Jackson)
The biggest surprise, though, is Abba at #6 as it is the most sophisticated album in terms of song composition and production (admittedly bar the odd song or two that are just plain terrible). Should have been in the last four albums final
The Red Hot Chili Peppers' album is so great and I'm still puzzled why it drowned here.
Also thought that the Police would do better; just like Interpol (but with them I was sure they would tank on UKMiX).
The Magnetic Fields' Holiday is such a jolly album and if you listen to it as a continues remix with variations of the same theme: it's just perfect. Very happy to have discovered it.

So let's get down to the nitty gritty (before I bore you to death)

4 Fleetwood Mac
(Not ground breaking or single release worthy but it's still a good enough song; and Stevie Nicks is on lead vocals. This is more in line with what I'm used to listen to so it gets my vote [even if it's my song and I will called out for rigging])
3 Madonna
(If it's meant to be lyrically deep it's still not a master-piece. The verses aren't very researched or of artistic merit. Most rhymes are way too easy. The sonic synth weave is OK; but I couldn't listen to this kind of music over a longer period of time)
trebor
Legend

Postby Gravity » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:18 pm

Bye bye Stevie :cry:

4 points: Little Star (Madonna)-lovely
3 points: Welcome To The Room..Sara (Fletwood Mac)-nothing special
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Erotica » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:53 pm

4 Madonna - Little Star
3 Fleetwood Mac - Welcome To The Room... Sara
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:03 pm

4 Madonna - Little Star

This was really hard because I thought both songs were really good and they have both been really enjoyable albums!
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:28 pm

4 Fleetwood Mac - Welcome To The Room... Sara
3 Madonna - Little Star (my least favorite song off ROL. I hate the production while I love Orbit's work for most of it)
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:30 pm

Carbon wrote:aside from Seven Wonders, Stevie's songs on this album are subpar for her usual standards
She was barely there during the production. She was recovering from a severe coke addiction and only came in during the last 2 weeks of the production. It's why Christine really picked up the slack and did her best work here IMO.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:03 pm

biscuits wrote:I have an announcement to make once this album cup is over
well, the wait is almost over!
however, this comes from someone who said, for the 12th time, that he didn't nominate Janet, and we all knew it was a lie :lol:
leomedar
Superstar

Postby frrr » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:05 pm

4 Fleetwood Mac
3 Madonna
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
frrr
Manager

Postby Wardo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:06 pm

leomedar wrote:
however, this comes from someone who said, for the 12th time, that he didn't nominate Janet, and we all knew it was a lie :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby Carbon » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:38 pm

Wardo wrote:
leomedar wrote:
:lol: :lol:
:lol:
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:04 pm

3 Madonna - Little Star
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Spiral » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:26 am

3 Madonna - Little Star
Spiral
Manager

Postby Tansike » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:46 pm

4 - Madonna - Little Star
3 - Fleetwood Mac - Welcome To The Room... Sara

Both albums belonged to my faves in this Cup, so a great final. Madonna's songs weren't as strong as expected after reading how strong the album is for many years (yes, i've actually never heard "Ray Of Light"), but they were still highlights of many groups/rounds, and the album seems to be very good as a whole as most tracks are quite similar in a good way. Fleetwood Mac had a few songs that were top notch, but overall they had too many songs which were only solid for me, just like their final track which was just okay for me and not more. Madonna's song was touching, haunting and had a great atmosphere. So it's quite easy to decide which track is the better - and for me, i really hope Madonna will win the whole Cup.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Wardo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:49 pm

More votes? It ends tomorrow!!! :D
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby Jonathan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:05 pm

Erotica wrote:4 Madonna - Little Star
Jonathan
Superstar

Return to Games