Manager

Postby Wardo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:36 am

More?
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby navi » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:13 am

4 Madonna - Little Star
3 Fleetwood Mac - Welcome To The Room... Sara
My year(s) in lists by Ivan (2008 - 2013)
navi
Superstar

Postby Wardo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:26 pm

Such a close race! Before Tansike's vote it was a different result, so you have an idea how tight it was. Congratulations to both albums. Winning the silver medal...

Title: Tango In The Night
Artist: Fleetwood Mac
Year: 1987
Nominated by: trebor
History in the Cup: [REGULAR GROUP] #7 in the first round; #5 in the second round; #3 in the third round; #1 in the fourth round; #1 in the fifth round; #1 in the sixth round; #2 in the seventh round; #2 in the eight round; #2 in the ninth round; #2 in the tenth round
Songs played: Everywhere, Tango In The Night, Little Lies, Seven Wonders, Big Love, Caroline, Isn't It Midnight, Family Man, Mystified, Welcome To The Room... Sara
Redeemed? They have! In a spectacular performance, Fleetwood Mac go from 5th in Cup II to 2nd 10 Cups later.
Tango in the Night is the band's second biggest selling studio album after the phenomenally successful Rumours which was released 10 years earlier. The intervening albums, Tusk (1979) and Mirage (1982), although big sellers in key territories, had not matched their predecessor's huge success. Tango in the Night was a worldwide hit with several singles from the album becoming popular all over the world. "Little Lies" and "Everywhere" in particular are now considered classic hits of the late 1980s and they continue to appear on retrospective albums of that decade.
Produced by Buckingham with Richard Dashut, Tango in the Night began as one of Buckingham's solo projects, but by 1985 the production had morphed into Fleetwood Mac's next album. It contains several hit singles - the album has sold over 15 million copies worldwide.
The distinctive cover art for the album was a painting by Australian artist Brett-Livingstone Strong which was hanging in Buckingham's home. It is a homage to the 19th Century French painter Henri Rousseau, emulating his colorful jungle theme works such as The Snake Charmer and The Repast of the Lion. It was also used as the cover of "Big Love", the album's first single.
Tango in the Night is, to date, the final studio album released by the 'classic' line-up of Fleetwood Mac consisting of Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, John McVie, and Mick Fleetwood, before Buckingham's departure from the band in the summer of 1987. This line-up has reconvened for live performances, however; in 1993 for a one-off performance of "Don't Stop" for the newly elected US President Bill Clinton, for the 1997 live album and tour The Dance, and for their 2014-2015 world tour.
So the CHAMPION is...

Title: Ray of Light
Artist: Madonna
Year: 1998
Nominated by: leomedar
History in the Cup: [REGULAR GROUP] #6 in the first round; #2 in the second round; #2 in the third round; #2 in the fourth round; #2 in the fifth round; #2 in the sixth round; #1 in the seventh round; #1 in the eight round; #1 in the ninth round; #1 in the tenth round
Songs played: Swim, Skin, Sky Fits Heaven, Frozen, Nothing Really Matters, The Power of Good-Bye, Ray of Light, Drowned World/Substitute for Love, Mer Girl, Little Star
Redeemed? Hell yes! After finishing 3rd in the inaugural edition of this game, she claims the throne and is the ultimate redeemed artist.
Following the release of her compilation album Something to Remember (1995), Madonna started taking vocal lessons in preparation for her role in Evita (1996). She also gave birth to her daughter, Lourdes, the same year. These events inspired a period of introspection. "That was a big catalyst for me. It took me on a search for answers to questions I'd never asked myself before," she said to Q magazine, in 2002. During the same period, she embraced Kabbalah and started studying Hinduism and yoga, all of which helped her "step outside [myself] and see the world from a different perspective."
In early June before starting recording, producer William Orbit met Madonna at her house in New York, and she played him the music she had worked on with other producers up to May 1997, which he felt sounded "slick". They visited the Hit Factory later that week, where Madonna invited the producer to work on Ray of Light. Orbit then sent her a tape of musical snippets he was working on, which were usually eight or sixteen-bar phrases and stripped down versions of tracks that would later be heard on the album. Madonna listened to the samples, over and over again, until she was inspired to write lyrics. Once she had an idea about the lyrical direction of the song, she would take her ideas back to Orbit, and they would expand on the original music ideas. As most of the tracks pre-existed, Madonna worked on the lyrics while at home or while travelling.
According to spokesperson Liz Rosenberg, Madonna considered titling the album Mantra, which she thought was a "really cool title". However, she changed the title to Ray of Light, as her albums were always titled after one of the songs from that album. The artwork was shot by Peruvian photographer Mario Testino. They had previously collaborated for a Versace brand collection. Madonna was impressed with the natural look Testino had captured and she booked him again for the album's photoshoot. He recalled, "At 2pm she said, 'OK, I'm tired. We're done'. And I said, 'But I don't have the pictures yet'. She said, 'You're working for me and I say we're done'. I said, 'No, we carry on'. The picture she used on the cover came after that".
At the 41st Annual Grammy Awards, Ray of Light received four awards out of six nominations. In the United States, Ray of Light debuted at number two on the Billboard 200 albums chart on the issue dated March 21, 1998. It set the record for biggest first-week sales by a female artist in Nielsen SoundScan era at that time with 371,000 copies sold. In total, Ray of Light has sold over 16 million copies worldwide.
SCOREBOARD

01. (01) Image..: RAY OF LIGHT :..[Madonna]... average score: 2,95
02. (02) Image..: TANGO IN THE NIGHT :..[Fleetwood Mac]... average score: 2,94

----

Thanks everybody! I hope you have enjoyed this theme and albums. :D
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby SilentDream » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:58 pm

I didn't think it would be that close. :o

I was rooting for Fleetwood Mac in the final, but Madonna's album wasn't horrible either, so I'm okay with it. :)
The Fourth Wall
#T4W
SilentDream
Manager

Postby Carbon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:07 pm

great winner, also great 2nd place! congrats to leo
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Gravity » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Nice winner :)
Gravity
Superstar

Postby MusicLover88 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:48 pm

To Have And Not To Hold should have been one of the RoL songs!
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
MusicLover88
Manager

Postby Goldmoney » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:08 pm

Slightly overrated (Bedtime Stories and True Blue run circles around Ray of Light IMO) but a solid winner nonetheless.

Fleetwood Mac was a complete snoozer.
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Two very nice albums, I'll have to actually invest more time in to them at some point. Great game Wardo with perfect presentation as always. 8-)
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Colbie » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:13 pm

Congrats Leo!!

Thank you for hosting Wardo! ;-)
Mic Mic Bungee
Colbie
Superstar

Postby CrazyCrazy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:16 pm

Colbie wrote:Congrats Leo!!
+1

Plus Trebor, two really enjoyable albums.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:06 pm

:o, it was very close, thanks for hosting, and congrats to the winner.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby leomedar » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:30 am

Glad RoL won! I re-fell in love with it during this. Sad some of you were dissapointed by it as I think it is strong.
Glad my album finally won after some big flops in the past! Although the last three cups saw me in the top 3.
And also very glad my album follows iscuits and Bill's vicotries :D
leomedar
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:48 am

Ray of Light is a deserving winner! I've lambasted it so much in the past as one of the most overrated albums of all-time, but a lot of the songs have really grown on me. I still don't think it's the masterpiece many make it out to be, but I certainly appreciate it more than I did four years ago.

Tango in the Night is a great runner-up as well. Even though I liked the song "Go Your Own Way", I never warmed to Fleetwood Mac's version. I found two songs ("Little Lies", "Welcome to the Room...Sara") from the group that I enjoyed and downloaded.

Many thanks for hosting this, Ed! The presentation was great, but, more importantly, the music was, for the most part, quality stuff!
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:01 am

Congratulations @Leo for winning this cup!
Thanks to all the voters and @Wardo for hosting!
trebor
Legend

Postby Gravity » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:07 am

Goldmoney wrote:Slightly overrated (Bedtime Stories and True Blue run circles around Ray of Light IMO) but a solid winner nonetheless.

Fleetwood Mac was a complete snoozer.
Quoting for the truth.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:13 pm

biscuits wrote:I have an announcement to make once this album cup is over
Coming soon
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Wardo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:16 pm

:D

I don't think I'll do another Cup before 2017.
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby biscuits » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:42 pm

biscuits wrote:
biscuits wrote:I have an announcement to make once this album cup is over
Coming soon
I still haven't given my 'All For You' or 'Unbreakables' speech, but let me commence with my big announcement!

Firstly, thank you for another great cup Wardo. It started off so exciting, but after missing a couple of rounds, my interest was never fully restored unfortunately, plus I was really busy in my personal life as well. But the quality of some of these albums was great - for the first time in years, I actually liked more than one album!

Okay, onto my next point. It was ME who nominated 'Damita Jo'! I fooled you all...again! 8-) 'Damita Jo' finished in 8th place. I think that's excellent, especially if you look at the calibre of albums above it (Bad, Ray of Light, Songs in the Key...) The fact that Janet's flop album held its own against the likes of these, plus Mariah's masterpiece, is so rewarding, and it's exactly why I nominated it. People often disregard this album, but I hope now, I've proven that it is a decent album which deserved much more success.

And finally, the big announcement! With the nomination of 'Damita Jo', that's 5 Janet Jackson albums that have featured in this game - The Velvet Rope, janet., All For You, Unbreakable and Damita Jo. ALL of them have finished in the top 10. What a great success! 8-)
However, I will be retiring Janet Jackson from The Album Cup :o :cry: The reasons being, her other albums are not worth nominating. 'Control' only has 9 songs, 'Rhythm Nation 1814' is so mainstream, and her other 4 studio albums aren't her best work. I have been so happy to share Janet's music with y'all, especially those who actually recognised how brilliant it is. I have enjoyed reading your comments and appreciated your time.

But after 11 cups, 5 albums, and 1 victory, it's time to bid farewell to Miss Jackson. :cry:

biscuits
The Diva

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:44 pm

biscuits wrote:
But after 11 cups, 5 albums, and 1 victory, it's time to bid farewell to Miss Jackson. :cry:
Thank god!
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Biebz » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:50 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:
biscuits wrote:
Thank god!
my reputation's never been worse so you must like me for me
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby Nippian93 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:54 pm

Strange that Rhythm Nation has never been in the cup.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Wardo » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:12 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:
biscuits wrote:
Thank god!
:lol:

Not Janft stealing Madonna's thunder like that. But I don't believe the retirement and this wasn't the announcement you had.
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Return to Games