112th FSC (Sep 2016): Bujumbura, Burundi (RÉSULTATS)

Moderators: tdc2000, Spartan

Should sample-featuring songs enter this competition?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:34 am

They should be eligible, as long as the sampled song is not a UK/US top 40 hit
29%
It depends on several factors, I'd rather each case was treated individually and resolved with a poll
64%
No, definitely not
7%

Total votes : 14

Postby leomedar » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:47 pm

Thanks Grybop!
I will stick with Carlos Vives then. I want to portray Colombian music this month and the other choices I have from there dont convince me righ now. As the Shakira feat is not a defined limit, Ill keep with it even when it may affect some voters. Hoping people enjoy it as it is fresh and fun as Colombia.

For future months Ill go back to normal and try to nominate less controvertial songs :roll:
leomedar
Superstar

Postby jio » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:10 am

Grybop wrote:
jio wrote:18.SOUTH AFRICA

BLACK MOTION feat. XOLI M.: Rainbow

(I don't think it's a cover but I couldn't find any credits for the song other than it's composed by Dr. Moruti. I believe it does contain a sample possibly from Bobby Caldwell's "What You Won't Do For Love" but I don't think it's really central to the song. If Grybop or others would check it out I would be grateful)
If you are referring to the horn riff, it does sound similar to the one on "What You Won't Do For Love", but it's not the same. And even if it's been tweaked, I couldn't find any proof of that on the net, so I guess you're clear.
Cool thanks. Yes I was referring to the riff
About the samples rule I tried to explain it above because I was the one who added it (that of course doesn't mean that it has to be followed in the way it was originally intended or that it cannot be changed or anything, just I explained the original thinking). Extensive sampling does become something of a cover so it cannot be allowed under current rules but I didn't want to include small samples since that doesn't prevent as a whole a song to be original. The rule in its current form is clear that sampling is allowed under certain conditions. Also I dont think we should rely so much on Eurovision rules , the game is inspired by eurovision but it is not identical, we do not compose the songs so we do not have the luxury of removing small samples which do not change the song in any major way. I agree it is not a clear rule but I don't think it can really become clear without the game becoming unecessarily restrictive. I guess it has to be viewed in connection to other rules of the game.
jio
Legend

Postby Grybop » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:28 pm

OK, now let's come to the Canadian entry.

Noahh wrote:I don't mind changing my entry if you guys think the sample is too prominent and well known.

I'll leave it up to you guys.
First of all, this is not a sample we're talking about. Dvsn took a line from an older song, variations of which constituted its chorus, re-recorded it, changed a word and formed a new chorus, and, of course, a new song around it. They also took a second line from the older song and added it towards the end.
If you're asking me, since the main hook in both songs is that same line (ie. they sort of share the same chorus), your entry is ineligible due to prominence of the interpolated part.
Now, if you wish to keep the song, I'll add a poll, so we see what others think as well.
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby bunbun » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:05 am

28. New Zealand

Teeth & Tongue - Dianne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANtmVC5j2yg
bunbun
Groupie

Postby jio » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:35 pm

Hmmm gave the songs a listen... I have to say that I almost always have over half the songs knocked out from first listen but this time... just 8 songs got knocked out... which leaves a massive 19 songs up for re-listening... good job guys, best month ever...
jio
Legend

Postby franklex » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:09 pm

29 | UKRAЇNA | ASSIA AHHATT - If Only Tonight | Official Video (Alternative link)
franklex
Groupie

Postby Grybop » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:03 pm

Since Noahh hasn't responded regarding the fate of his ineligible song, Canada is technically up for grabs after midnight.
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Noahh » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:22 pm

Grybop wrote:Since Noahh hasn't responded regarding the fate of his ineligible song, Canada is technically up for grabs after midnight.
Sorry I've only read your comments now.

Regarding my song. I really don't think the sample is that big. Plus, it samples a song that was never released as a single, thus never charted anywhere, thus most people won't even know. I honestly don't see how this is not allowed yet an entry featuring Usher or Shakira is. But that's my take.

If you guys think otherwise than that's completely fine and I will withdraw my entry and someone can take Canada if they want.
"I got to do things my own way darling. Will you ever let me? Will you ever respect me? No!"

InstagramLast.fm
Noahh
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:29 pm

I think the sane like Noahh.
According to our rules, Sampling is is just fine and sampling a song can also consistmof taling words pr phrases feom the original and build a new song around it. Even songs with the sane chorus are still samlles and not considered to be covers (definition can be looked up online).
And since the original song ain't fanous as all, Canada shouks b fine.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Grybop » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:31 am

Right, I'm adding a poll then, to sort this out for good. Poll will close Monday afternoon.
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Spiral » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:43 am

Im late for the discussion but I am against the Idea of very famous artist (worldwide in sense of music accomplishment) participate in FSC. I already shared my opinion when Usher entered FSC few months ago. Once we allowed Usher, it obviously will create ripple effect and people will start to enter famous people in FSC as "It is not breaking the rule". I found it funny someone make a big fuss over the has been Cranberries' front woman entered FSC when her popularity was not big at all few years ago yet people are accepting someone like Usher because of the "Featuring" title when he was singing half of the song anyway. And Shakira is currently much more popular then Usher. But then again, 'Famous people" is not breaking any rule. So seems like I have to accept it though Im againts it. I will judge them fairly though.

About sampling, as long as the sampling is not too prominent then it is OK. In this case of Canadian entry, the entry is an interpolation of other song. TBH, this is the first time I came across this term. Little bit of googling saying Interpolation is a rework of other song to avoid copyright. It can be considered as a partial cover of the song. By this defination, Im inclined to give it a NO GO . However, as I listened to both song, they actually sounded very different with one another. So, I think it should be OK to allow this song to participate. So, I really don't know. I guess I am indifferent about Canadian entry participating in this month FSC.
Spiral
Manager

Postby Tansike » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:15 pm

I voted for yes. It's not a prominent sample. At least from what i know.

However, not the biggest fan of entries by artists like Shakira, Usher & Co. I think this contest is about discovering new artists. But if people want to enter it with well known artists - even if they're just a feature - i'm fine with it. It's usually probably even a disadvantage than an advantage.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Grybop » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:30 pm

OK, poll is closed, and the results are very clear (9 yeses / 2 nos <-----DID YOUR EYES HURT AS BAD AS MINE?)
In goes Canada then!
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Grybop » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:28 pm

Kudos to those who acknowledged that their entries contained a sample of another song and didn't wait for someone else to find out for them.
Since it seems that sample-featuring songs crop up all the more often in the contest, and since someone proposed something completely new in this month's debate, let's see if the corresponding rule needs revising to something more objective.
I'll add a poll and let it run for a couple of weeks,
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Noahh » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:28 pm

To the people that voted against my entry... I do see your point and I want to apologize for choosing a song that features a sample. If it was a copy paste sample I wouldn't have ever chosen it for this contest. It's just that I feel so passionate about this song, it's so dear to me. That's why I decided I really wanted to enter with this. I'll do my best to avoid these situations in the future.
"I got to do things my own way darling. Will you ever let me? Will you ever respect me? No!"

InstagramLast.fm
Noahh
Legend

Postby jio » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:43 pm

I am a bit offended by this new poll but anyway I will vote... In general I think this game should be far more inclusive and far less restrictive. We have way too many rules applied in a far too restrictive manner that in essence prevent the game's main stated purpose which is "discovering new songs or artists". So obviously I'll go for option B.

Btw what if option 3 wins? Will that nullify the result of the previous poll? lol
jio
Legend

Postby Grybop » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:37 pm

Why should you of all people be offended? The first option opens the door to numerous songs and is more objective.
The second option is basically the existing rule, somewhat rephrased.
The third one just solves the problem by shutting all samples out.
Can't see why anyone should be offended by this poll.
jio wrote:
Btw what if option 3 wins? Will that nullify the result of the previous poll? lol
Not sure if you're really joking, but no.
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby jio » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:58 pm

Grybop wrote:Why should you of all people be offended? The first option opens the door to numerous songs and is more objective.
The second option is basically the existing rule, somewhat rephrased.
The third one just solves the problem by shutting all samples out.
Can't see why anyone should be offended by this poll.
jio wrote:
Not sure if you're really joking, but no.
Yes, I was joking lol. As for the poll itself it's totally fine, I was not referring to its subject or options or the question but to something else but it's all good man...
jio
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:30 pm

I voted for the wrong option, meant to go for the top option but voted for the 2nd :lol: :lol: :lol:

I definitely think that if the sample is obscure then it should be allowed. There's probably tonnes non-English language songs that have samples or is a cover that we might not even know about.
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Nanda » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:49 am

Nevermind :lol:
Nanda
Personal Assistant

Postby Grybop » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:16 pm

Voting time!

PM me your favourite songs, using this format:

[Name of country voting]
12 points ___________________(favourite country)
10 points ______________________
08 points ______________________
07 points ______________________
06 points ______________________
05 points ______________________
04 points ______________________
03 points ______________________
02 points ______________________
01 point _______________________(10th favourite country)

Hope last month's mess won't be repeated! :lol:
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby nekoocz » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:52 pm

voted
nekoo.cz - follow me
nekoocz
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:40 pm

voted! Good month, some very intersting entries.
leomedar
Superstar

Postby Grybop » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:04 am

7 votes in, and points have been flying all over the place. 2 countries still unvoted.
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby trebor » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:51 am

Voted! (Felt it to be messy at first but ended up with 17 worth a point)
trebor
Legend

Return to Games