The Song Collectors 2016 - THE END

Moderators: tdc2000, Spartan

Postby sonia85 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:16 am

Wardo wrote:sonia85 (36.6), I never doubted you, but damn! How refreshing to see someone which such an unique taste making the finals! Divine Comedy, the always present Scott Walker, King Crimson, who would've thought you'd come this far? :cry: Beautiful accomplishment because you dosed the right amount of personality with smart picks to survive, Sam Cooke's selection being one of the wisest I've ever seen.
Thank You! :D :D :D
sonia85
Manager

Postby Wardo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:20 am

FINAL

Spiral and Sonia, congratulations, you've made it!

We're coming to an end, but let's make this an unforgettable moment.

FIRST THEME
2016 is over, but hopefully its music will stand the test of time. Nominate 1 song released in 2016 that will very likely be unforgettable, that you'll listen to in years to come.

SECOND THEME
Last year was the year of the monkey! Nominate 1 song (any year of release) that is related to this adorable animal in any way - title, lyrics, album/single cover, music video, etc.

THIRD THEME
This is not only the last round, but the last game I'm hosting, but I will most definitely remember this forum. Nominate 1 song (any year of release) related to memory, memento or remembrance.

You can choose singles or album tracks. The only restriction, common to all themes, is: it can't be a song that charted inside the US or UK Top 20.
Good luck! :D

Deadline: ASAP
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Well done Spiral :). Came back strong.

+ awesome job to every collector. I think you all did amazing, and introduced some amazing songs.

+ thank you for the great reviews judges and taking the time :).

Gl in the final spiral and Sonia.
Love, is love, is love. - Kylie M.
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby Colbie » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Ah knew i was going to leave!
It was great to be a part if this! ;-)

Goodluck in the final!!
Starry eyes sparking up my darkest night
Colbie
Superstar

Postby SilentDream » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:54 pm

I didn't expect to get this far in this game, so I'm actually really satisfied. :)

Good luck in the final, Spiral and Sonia. :D
The Fourth Wall
#T4W
SilentDream
Manager

Postby sonia85 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:03 pm

^Thanks
sonia85
Manager

Postby Spiral » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:07 pm

Woah, Im in the final :o Didnt see that coming ... :lol:

SummerPeur wrote:Well done Spiral :). Came back strong.
Thanks Summer. The opportunity you gave is not wasted :D

Also thanks SilentDream :)

Wardo wrote:your second chance is proving to be more than rightful! The fact that you also is part of the history of this game (the amount of laughter with your reviews in S02, oh my :lol: ) makes me ecstatic that you're now an unprecedented two-time finalist. Good job, my friend!
The thing I remember most about my review in S02 was when I exposed Biscuit was cheating with his act who was not meeting the theme criteria :lol: I actually did like his entry a lot :lol: Tbh, that is all I remember about my review :lol:

I probably going to submit my submission tomorrow. I just got back from work and wanna sleep :P
Spiral
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:08 pm

Sorry I never got to participate. Looks like you have a great legacy, Wardo. :)
Vote for your favorite Christmas songs here!
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Carbon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:53 pm

Wardo wrote:Yes, you're realizing it's you, aren't you? :cry: :cry:
I was! :cry: so close. damn Spiral and his second chance!!! :lol: it was nice to participate. when the finalists send their songs to the judges I will post my own picks for these themes for anyone interested to hear
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby biscuits » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:56 pm

I have the perfect song for the third theme :cry:
biscuits
The Diva

Postby sonia85 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:57 am

Carbon wrote:
Wardo wrote:Yes, you're realizing it's you, aren't you? :cry: :cry:
I was! :cry: so close. damn Spiral and his second chance!!! :lol: it was nice to participate. when the finalists send their songs to the judges I will post my own picks for these themes for anyone interested to hear
I 'am interested!
sonia85
Manager

Postby Wardo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:40 am

Judgeeeees!
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:23 am

Just sent my comments!

There is a very clear winner for me. Hope the other judges agree!
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby sonia85 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:48 am

I will lose 8-)
sonia85
Manager

Postby Spiral » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:35 pm

sonia85 wrote:I will lose 8-)
nope. probably I'm the one who's losing :lol: :lol:
Spiral
Manager

Postby cdschart » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:30 am

JSparksFan wrote:There is a very clear winner for me
Same for me
cdschart
Personal Assistant

Postby bluecherry » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:58 am

Will be sending my comments in this afternoon. - exciting!
bluecherry
Manager

Postby Wardo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:35 pm

Awesome, results might be up tonight then!
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby Wardo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:00 pm

The time has come! More than announcing the winner, I'd like to take this moment to turn public a self-indulgent farewell post.

But before that, let's get to the game results.

FINALE RESULTS

FIRST THEME (unforgettable 2016 song)

David Bowie - Blackstar (sonia85)
cdschart: Aside from the fact that this came out in 2015 and is an obvious choice, I don’t think “Blackstar” is the highlight from its parent album. It doesn’t feel focused enough for me, as there’s way too much going on. This isn’t a bad thing, but at the same time it seems more like a stream of conscious than a confined single. A good track but definitely not something I see going down in history as an ‘iconic’.

leomedar: I know I will certainly listen to this for years, and the genre is not a “style of the moment” so it won’t age probably. But David has been portrayed here before, last round to be exact. Blackstar is not an easy listening thing, so even when this is marvelous I am not sure it fits the theme for me, probably for the collector.

bluecherry: Stunning song but a little predictable.

JSparksFan: The first half of this is pretty tough to get through; there's a lot going on on the instrumentation side of things, and very little monologue in the lyrics. It gets so much better in the second half, as it starts to tell a kind of story, not the kind where all the details are handed to you, but the kind where you get to fashion your own tale. It's a great representation of the genius that was David Bowie, though that first half did cost it some points. As for relevance to the theme, this is a winner. 2016 will long be remembered as the year the Grim Reaper swept through claiming as many music legends as he could find, and Bowie's loss will be felt and mourned for many years.
Jarryd James - 1000x ft. Broods (Spiral)
cdschart: This too is a fine song but at the same time I wouldn’t call it iconic. The structure and combination of Jarryd’s vocals with Georgia’s is great, as is the funky dream-pop/trip-hop production. Quite unique in fact. A risky choice but it might have just paid off this time…

That video though :(

leomedar: Very beautiful discovery. I love songs that can easily become soundtrack for a film, and closing my eyes I could picture this as one. So maybe it is not something that blows my mind instantly as Blackstar, but it surprised me more in this game. Small margin in favor of this one.

bluecherry: Wow this was stunning - downloaded it immediatly!

JSparksFan: This song is completely unmemorable. There's nothing at all in the melody or lyrics to really sink your teeth into. No points gained for adherence to theme.
SECOND THEME (year of the monkey)

Nickelback - She Keeps Me Up (Spiral)
cdschart: As much fun as this was, the connection to animals was fairly loose. For the most part, it’s just a standard song about sex and drugs. Their track “Animals” probably would’ve gotten a higher score from me…

leomedar: Hope other judges enjoy Nickelback more than me, and that they find the connection with monkey.

bluecherry: This isn't a great song. Definitely not final worthy.

JSparksFan: I love how this fits the theme without being obvious. Also, how unexpectedly brilliant of an idea to throw a Nickelback song into the mix! I didn't think I'd be seeing them in this game. This is a great song, though, and scores close to full marks on all metrics.
Peter Gabriel - Shock The Monkey (sonia85)
cdschart: This to me is a classic yet not an expected choice for this topic. Great video, excellent production (though a bit dated) and decent voice on the part of Gabriel. It was nice to see the video make the animal connection as well although it was a bit cheesy.

Side note I had no idea this didn’t make the top 20.

leomedar: The connection is clear, the song is ok. Peter Gabriel is someone I want to like more than I do but this style aged a lot for me so I cannot connect to it. This one wins the match easily.

bluecherry: I liked this more so, but still not 100%

JSparksFan: This failed on many of the fronts that "She Keeps Me Up" succeeded; it's a very obvious song choice for the theme, and it's the kind of song that I was happy to reach the end of.
THIRD THEME (memory)

Frank Sinatra - It Was A Very Good Year (sonia85)
cdschart: It’s a classic and obviously a good choice for this theme but a little cut and dry for me.

leomedar: Standing ovation for choosing this song! Amazing, love Frank, and this is a perfect closure I believe. It was a great couple of years Wardo with you in the forum and so many amazing music and games, and this participant chose a very good song to say farewell.

bluecherry: Wow - what a song! This was a great choice.

JSparksFan: With one of the best voices to ever grace a microphone, how could you go wrong? Oh, yeah; throw in some ridiculously redundant lyrics. Frank's voice saves this from being a complete disaster, but this one is the weakest of the three player one submissions.
Toby Keith - Nights I Can't Remember, Friends I'll Never Forget (Spiral)
cdschart: As much as I dislike him, even I can admit this is a decent track that relates clearly to theme.

leomedar: Fits the theme, but comparing to Frank I must say this falls short. I love country, but comparing to Frank I must say this falls short. Anyway, I am glad country was portrayed in this game, not only here but in some previous rounds. Something cool for the usual ukmix stuff. Thanks!

bluecherry: I really didn't like this at all in all honesty.

JSparksFan: The best of player two's submissions. Very theme-appropriate, with an endearing message.

There won't be much suspense this time, as I believe both collectors are fantastic and deserving of the top placing. I also shared some words about each of them in last time's presentation. So, without further ado, the CHAMPION of the third installment of The Song Collectors, entering a hall of fame with the likes of Benny and Virgostar is...

SONIA85!!!!!!!

With 94.7 points against Spiral's 78.3, there's no doubt the judges had a favorite collector this time. Congratulations Sonia and Spiral and thanks a lot for making this game so enjoyable!

This is Sonia's winning list with the ten songs she's collected throughout the game:OK guys, with that I feel like I've met my expectations with my final game.

A huge thank you to the great judges: leomedar, cdschart, JSparksFan and bluecherry! You were true to your feelings all the time and made this an exciting game to follow.

My dear collectors: Spiral, biscuits, Carbon, Goldmoney, CrazyCrazy, SilentDream, SummerPeur, Colbie, sonia85 and Affillate. I truly loved having you all taking part. I hope you'll remember this or other games we've played together. It was such a fun period in my virtual life!

Thanks, UKMIX!
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby sonia85 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:12 pm

Wow, thanks! i didnt excepted that ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sonia85
Manager

Postby biscuits » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Well done Sonia and Good Luck Wardo!
biscuits
The Diva

Postby sonia85 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:21 pm

Thank You biscuits.

Its sad that Wardo leaving us;(
sonia85
Manager

Postby SilentDream » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:24 pm

Congratulations, Sonia. :)

Thanks so much for hosting all those great games (including this one) on here and thank you in general for all your contributions to this forum, Wardo. I wish you all the best for your life. :)
The Fourth Wall
#T4W
SilentDream
Manager

Postby sonia85 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:28 pm

^SilentDream Thanks, thank you for the game 8-)
sonia85
Manager

Postby trebor » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:29 pm

@Sonia85 Major congrats! Awesome, you chose "Shock The Monkey" for the last theme. This is definitely one of my most favourite songs, ever!

@Wardo Oh, man! I'm so bad at goodbyes... (lol) Thank you very much for having made this board an even more interesting one (for me, at least). Always enjoyed the new sounds and games structures. It was fun and we all had good laughs; and made me connect a bit closer to some posters. Will miss your spirited and open minded character, curiosity and interest. I wish you only the very best in all your future endeavours.

Tim McGraw: "My Old Friend"
trebor
Legend

Return to Games