123rd FSC (Aug2017-RETRO): Christchurch, New Zealand RESULTS

Moderators: tdc2000, Spartan

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:31 am

Voted

Not as enthusiastic about this month as I've been in the past, but there's certainly some great work in the mix.
Vote for your favorite Christmas songs here!
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Thriller » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:50 am

I loved my number one choice and am gutted it's not on Spotify! :(
Thriller

Postby Grybop » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:58 am

We're now waiting for xtofer, I sent him a message earlier,
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby xtofer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:42 pm

Oh, totally forgot to send them over during the weekend! I have sent them now.

Anyway, I guess it's too late now, but it seems that the link for my entry is blocked in some first world territory. You could try this link or this one if you're just curious.
xtofer
Legend

Postby Grybop » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby heppolo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:15 pm

Not my favourite Wolfsheim song (''Kein Zuruck'' is far superior), but a great winner nonetheless.
Nightwish felt a bit too famous for this, but anyway.
Thanks to cheapthrills, mondflug for their 12s, to Mainshow and KindOf for 10 and 8 respectively.
By the way, this was Liechtenstein's debut in the FSC, in the 123rd edition :lol:
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Thriller » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:43 pm

Ouch :lol: thanks to the few who voted for Denmark.

I enjoyed Germany's entry, typically 80s and European but I wanted Israel to win with their Boney M tribute! :lol:
Thriller

Postby Grybop » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:44 pm

On August 4, I wrote:2 songs I already know so far and one of them will probably get my 12 points. One of them I know since a toddler, albeit in an obscure cover version
This was Malaysia! A tune I was familiar with in this supermarket version, that nevertheless retains the freshness of the original.
the other one was one of my favourite discoveries in a contest similar to this one
This was Turkey, entrant in MTV's 1994 Eurovideo contest.

My 12 went to Antony and the Johnsons, which was my #1 song of 2005, a strange choice for this contest - I'm surprised it got as high as it did.

Then there was Sweden - Army of Lovers were always going to get some points from me. Same goes for Denmark, I think both songs seriously underperformed.

All those songs I knew already. I agree with Heppolo about Wolfsheim, but congratulations to CandyPerfumeBoy on yet another win! How do you do it?

Japan deserved better, Israel with Chedva Amrani - Belev Echad was a pleasant surprise, Angélique Kidjo I'm familiar with, but through another song of hers.
Thanks for the votes for Zazie by the way!

See you next month in Germany, with a very fitting and suitable surprise!
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby jio » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:47 pm

Yay 4th... :o :o :D :D . OK overlooking the fact that me and Croatia were in the top 2 positions until the very end when we both ended up slightly lower in the Top 5, I have to say that this result is both absolutely great and absolutely unexpected. My song this month was of course a Eurovision pre-selection entry for Israel (from the year that A-ba-nee-bee won), I came to know it by its greek cover. It's a song I thought it could go both ways in this contest, really glad it ended up in the top instead of the btm 5. For that thanks thanks thanks to all who voted Israel, especially to Australia, Denmark, Germany, Italy and Turkey for the high points.

Other than that there were many many great songs (including the German winner) but I chose to vote songs who were both great and had a retro feel to them. Brazil was absolutely gorgeous but it lost on the retro feel for example. So of course "Telenovela" got my 12 the song is such a classic it couldn't take any less. The Zazie song is also a classic although it wins points for its performer's general career as well. Other than that, Italy and Mexico were clearly my 2 top new discoveries this month (I was familiar with the Australian entry), although I have to admit that Mexico was weak on the retro factor but very very strong on make-me-move factor lol.

Great month, see ya all next month, congrats to Candyperfumeboy once again...
jio
Legend

Postby trebor » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:40 pm

Hoped for more but quite delighted with me finishing 8th! (I'm usually 8th from the bottom up)
883 have far better songs than the one presented. But the straight-forwardness of the lyrical content revolving around coming-of-age and all problems related is lost if you don't understand the language.
My favourites are Gli Anni, Hanno Ucciso L'Uomo Ragno (cameo by Jovanotti! 8-) ) / Han Matado Al Hombre Araña (deploring media and organised crime], Nord Sud Ovest Est, Tieni Il Tempo, Come Mai, Il Grande Incubo, Chiuditi Nel Cesso (smart approach to Xenophobia)

Thanks to all the votes for Italy and special <3 <3 to Fredo & grooveboy (for your incredible support! :D )

Congrats to CandyPerfumeBoy for the winning song! Placed it #1 so no real complaint this month. I personally would have chosen Künstliche Welten (great lyrics)

Liechtenstein: This was ranked higher in the beginning but fell down a little as I don't necessarily like this particular Alemannic dialect and for the most part it was totally difficult to understand what she was singing about [massive over-production/wall-of-sound]. Other than that those drums and the hard riffs and head banging were terrific! Great find (I think I got a little stiffie when the electric guitars went in hard 8-) )

Israel was fantastic (in like: hello, what was that?). Never heard of this before, so very nice discovery. @jio Would you please give me directions to the Greek version, please?

UK & US: The UK entry got me hypnotised; for not being my style it surely captured my attention. Well done. The US of A got special points for the brave entry. Not a song or style that usually sets UKMiX on fire. Fantastic song!

France: (I realised that I have her CD) Besides the FSC entry and "Larsen", I really like this: Zen

Special mention to Lithuania which I found very interesting and intriguing. Good find! (Love off-side entries)

Thanks to all the participants for all the music presented! Always a thrill. :D
trebor
Legend

Postby Spiral » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:12 pm

I always do slightly better on Retro month compared to other months :lol:

Anyway thank you for those who voted for Malaysia especially for the 10s and 8 (Austria, France, Lithuania & Sweden).

Grybop wrote:This was Malaysia! A tune I was familiar with in this supermarket version, that nevertheless retains the freshness of the original.
Oh God. Somehow I found this fact very funny. :lol: Honestly, I don't know how well the song gonna be in FSC. I heard it was very popular in France in 70s. But I don't know if it is true or not. He could be exaggerated about. It was the 70s. There was no Internet to find the truth :lol:

And congrats to Germany fo the win
Spiral
Manager

Postby jio » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:19 pm

trebor wrote:Israel was fantastic (in like: hello, what was that?). Never heard of this before, so very nice discovery. @jio Would you please give me directions to the Greek version, please?

sure
jio
Legend

Postby trebor » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:35 pm

^^ Thanks! :D
trebor
Legend

Postby mondflug » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:22 pm

Oh, I came second. Great. This time I expected to hold a high position because Telenovela is a bomb of a song. It was played in a TV show a few months ago and I immediately noticed it was perfect for this contest. Even though it's quite famous in Spain, I hadn't heard it before (and I don't know why). Thank you everyone who voted for it.

I wish Liechtenstein had won. WHAT A BLAST. I don't like heavy metal, hard rock, gothic metal and nothing to do with these genres and subgenres and I totally LOVED IT. I have been listening to it on non-stop playback for a few days now. It's one of the best song I have discovered in this contest. heppolo, thanks.
mondflug
Manager

Postby heppolo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:03 pm

mondflug wrote:I wish Liechtenstein had won. WHAT A BLAST. I don't like heavy metal, hard rock, gothic metal and nothing to do with these genres and subgenres and I totally LOVED IT. I have been listening to it on non-stop playback for a few days now. It's one of the best song I have discovered in this contest. heppolo, thanks.
I am a bit surprised with such a positive response, because I was expecting a wipe-out (especially after Nightwish's arrival at the FSC123).
Such a pity their singer died almost 10 years ago now, they were an aspiring band back then.
Don't know whether I can possibly continue with Liechtenstein in the next month, because they seem to have a couple of extreme metal bands and one indie/folk singer and that's it :lol:
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:01 am

Based on people's comments, I thought my entry would fare much, much lower, so it was a nice surprise to finish in 6th. I was originally going to submit a different song for Australia as Affillate knows, but I couldn't find a good version of it on youtube, and this song came up as a suggestion. I really love Chrissy's performance in the song. Thanks to BageTheLaVie. mondflug, and westhammer for the high votes <3

I loved both the Liechtenstein and the Israel entry -both very different, a lot of fun, and really captured the retro spirit! I was really conflicted on which to put #1, and decided well, when am I going to get to ever get to vote for Liechtenstein again, haha. According to heppolo, it sounds like never! :lol:

Also, Affillate, I am glad we swapped as I think you did Finland more justice than my entry would have done.

I think in a better frame of mind, I would have ranked the US entry higher. I agree that was a startling choice, and it's good to encourage those kinds of entries.

Congratulations, CPB - while I didn't rank Germany highly, it did get my notice :)
Vote for your favorite Christmas songs here!
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Frederic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:26 am

Probably the best Turkish result in a while! :lol:

A massive thank you for the generous 12 and 10 points, Leychen and Grybop. Glad you like the track.
Frederic
Good Boy Gone Bad

Postby grooveboy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:37 pm

Many thanx to those who voted for Croatia 8-) It's good to be in top 5 again
My favorites did rather well. Congratulations Geramany and CPB :wink:
grooveboy
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:52 am

I really enjoyed this diverse month! I am happy to see Germany win since it was part of my Top 5. Congratulations, CandyPefumeBoy! You are clearly rocking this game! I am sure you can acchieve your 10th victory until the end of this year (at least) :D #fingerscrossed

Thank you to everyone who has voted for New Zealand! I highly and truly appreciate it! To be honest, it was not my Intention to Keep the Country (last month's victory got me by surprise) but I was happy to have found "Youthful", I like it and I glad some of you did as well.

I am surprised Austria and Liechtenstein did not do better.
I am happy for Israel, France, though ;)
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Affillate » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:23 am

I thoiught Liechenstein's was similar to Finlands so it might have split votes. I liked the Croatia one it got my 12. Well done to Germany.

The France one got a point from me for the 'cheeky' (literally) video. What year was this released? I was thinking it wasn't going to have a Call Me Maybe style 'actually the guys are into each other' twist ending but then there it was. :P

This one from the same Anika Moa album is also cool (Falling In Love Again): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay16Z3Nel_g

Thanks for all the Finland voters, saw some 12's and 10's there.

[FINLAND]
12 points CROATIA
10 points MEXICO
08 points UK
07 points SPAIN
06 points ITALY
05 points ISRAEL
04 points GERMANY
03 points AUSTRALIA
02 points NEW ZEALAND
01 point FRANCE
Affillate
Manager

Postby Grybop » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:10 pm

Affillate wrote:The France one got a point from me for the 'cheeky' (literally) video. What year was this released? I was thinking it wasn't going to have a Call Me Maybe style 'actually the guys are into each other' twist ending but then there it was. :P
1996. Pity you didn't like the song as well!
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby CandyPerfumeBoy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:21 pm

Thanks to everyone who voted for Germany :) I'm happy that some of you enjoyed the song as much as I did. I didn't expect to win a retro month again (it's the third time now) so it was a nice surprise!

As for Wolfheim's other famous single "Kein Zurueck" I agree that it's very good too, but the someone already participated with it some years ago :)

USA and Israel were my favorites this month, I'm glad that one of them ended up in the top 5 as well!
Thought that was a good solution hanging with the raisin girls
CandyPerfumeBoy
Roadie

Return to Games