The Song Collectors IV - THE FINAL - WINNER!

Moderators: tdc2000, Spartan

Postby Carbon » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:41 pm

wanted to nominate Booty by JLo & Iggy, but I also wanted to have at least a small chance of passing :(
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby RayRay » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:21 pm

Wayne wrote:Nobody sent My Heart Will Go On. :cry:
I'm not playing anymore as I'm out.

BUT... if I was still in, I probably wouldn't think of MHWGO.
RayRay
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:30 am

Where did everyone go?
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:07 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Where did everyone go?
Only had the final judges score back today.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby trebor » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:18 pm

Will the results be out tonight?
(Since I'm next in line to be booted out, i'm pretty anxious... :cry: )
trebor
Legend

Postby Wayne » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:19 pm

Absolutely, preparing the results now! 8-)

Very, very interesting...
Wayne
Administrator

Postby trebor » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:24 pm

^^ Sweet Lord! #Scared
trebor
Legend

Postby Wayne » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Results...
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Wayne » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Round 10 Results

Athlete - Wires - Thriller

leomedar: Cool song, its not groundbreaking but smooth and flowing.
JSparksFan: This was a sloth of a song for three-quarters of the way through; thankfully, it picked up and ended memorably.
urbanmusik: One of the few songs from the indie landfill of the mid 2000s that has aged well. That's mostly due to lead singer Joel Pott being a great songwriter, having went on to write songs with the likes of London Grammar, George Ezra, Shura and Mabel in recent years. This song hits a nerve with me; tonally it's just so emotional. The "I see it in your eyes" refrain that arrives in the latter half feels so cathartic, adding to the build and release of tension within a song that addresses the theme in an atypical way (the wires keeping his pre-mature daughter alive).
cheapthrills: I am kind of digging that static noise at the 90 second mark. Wish there was more of that. This is giving me Coldplay vibes, and I like Coldplay. This song has a strong ending that builds on everything before it.
Frank Sinatra - I've Got You Under My Skin - sonia85

leomedar: Love Frank. Thanks for such a cool entry
JSparksFan: Frank Sinatra seems physically incapable of recording a bad song; his music is either fantastic or adequate. This was adequate. Top-notch instrumentation, great vocals, but the lyrics fall flat.
urbanmusik: I can barely tell most Frank Sinatra songs apart, but I enjoyed it.
cheapthrills: Have we had a song as old as this one? :lol: I don't know - compared with the other songs, this comes off as a refreshing change. I found myself completely ignoring Frank though and listening to the outstanding musicianship going on in the background. I mean even the song drops Frank at the two minute mark for awhile.
Jessie Ware - Running - SilentDream

leomedar: I like some of her stuff, but then I kind of lost interest. This is ok but does not stand out.
JSparksFan: Melodically, this was intriguing. I also enjoyed the vocal effects, with the crescendo variations. Good submission! I see myself playing this next week.
urbanmusik: I liked Jessie Ware's first single Strangest Feeling, but it was Running that really got me obsessed. It was a combination Jessie's cool diva vocals, the Sade inspired instrumentation, the Aaliyah invoking melody and a hint of electronic soul that got me hooked. This was something completely different in 2012, and I'd like to think that Jessie alongside a handful of other artists helped usher in what's popular today.
cheapthrills: I like this song a lot, but I am just so very confused by these lyrics. I have questions. Don't you like this guy, Jessie? If so, why would that make you want to keep running and not chill right there? And how can you claim that you get weak, but still want to keep running? Why do you say you want to stay there with your hot boyfriend in one lyric, but then make the chorus about nothing but running? Make up your damn mind! :evil:
Lucy Rose - Our Eyes - flopho

leomedar: Very good, a discovery and fresh and fun and interesting.
JSparksFan: Catchy chorus!
urbanmusik: Video is far more interesting than the song, which isn't bad, just typical.
cheapthrills: This song has an odd cadence to it- the lyrics are sung in halted punctuation that runs counter to the flowing, dreamy background. That makes for an uncomfortable listen, as if she is trying to hurry the song along.
Melanie Fiona - Bones - Gravity

leomedar: As the song moves on it got me more and more interested. Good
JSparksFan: Loved Melanie's voice here. It's laden with passion. The song, however, isn't quite as moving.
urbanmusik: Brassy and soulful. I like it, but there's something missing that stops me from loving it.
cheapthrills: O...M...G! Those horns and harmonies! And these lyrics are strange in the right way - obsessive, violent, and dark - this is definitely more about possession than love. Yet, it is somehow wrapped up in a musical banger. I think I just found a good addition to my Halloween playlist.
Susanne Sundfør - The Silicone Veil - Carbon

leomedar: Ok song, but cold.
JSparksFan: This song wanted desperately to be better than it is. Creative liberties were clearly taken on the production of this song, and more backfired than panned out. The bass/drum bit at the end was nice, though.
urbanmusik: Beautiful arrangement. I'm trying to review this song without mentioning Björk or Fiona Apple tbh. So I'll just talk about the music video since it has me shook. I was not expecting that at all. Andrea Arnold meets The Twilight Zone, but a little more arthouse and uncomfortable. I'm not sure if the message was meant to be inspiring, but it left me a little sadder after watching.
cheapthrills: Sigh. I want to score this higher because it is so daring, but even I have my limits. The lyrics and the video make for a very disturbing experience. I feel like I need a shower after watching this and I just took one an hour ago.
The Ting Tings - Hands - trebor

leomedar: Good, fun and effective.
JSparksFan: The refrain is so relatable that I really wanted to like this song, but it didn't give me any other reason to love it.
urbanmusik: I completely forgot about The Ting Tings aborted sophomore album. I appreciate this 80s pastiche a lot more than I did when it was released.
cheapthrills: Have heard this one before. I always liked the Ting Tings. And it's a nice way to close out this round which was mostly a group of dark, serious topics. I'll use Hands as a nice salve to wash that all off. (Get it? Hands? Because I'd be washing with my hands? Anyhow, moving on...) It's true, Ting Tings. I am working too hard! I am so ready to clap now.

Top of the table is very close with just 1 point separating positions 1-4 but somehow/someway - Thriller manages to top the table for a 2nd consecutive round with two average scores and two great scores!

Unfortunately, having topped the table on 3 previous occasions, Carbon bids farewell with his worst score yet of just 23.5 points - the clear losing song! Thank you for taking part - you've been a fabulous contestant!

R11 theme tonight! (maybe)
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Thriller » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:05 pm

Oh my, I certainly didn't expect to win with Wires - I was worried the judges wouldn't get the connection to the theme but thankfully it paid off as it's a gorgeous but poignant song!
Thriller

Postby Carbon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:01 pm

Knew that Susanne would be divisive, personally I find the song/video beautiful, disturbing and sad at the same time and I thought it was a perfect fit for the theme (not as safe though).

Thanks for hosting Wayne, great job, hope there’ll be more seasons in the future!
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:13 am

Awww, sorry to see you eliminated, Carbon. :cry:

You had quite a few songs I enjoyed. :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby trebor » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:37 am

Phew! Barely scraped through.... ( At this point it would be nice if I made it to number 5! )
Can't really believe that Carbon has to leave the competition so early on; and of all things with this song by Susanne Sundfør! :o
If I were a judge... :wink:
trebor
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:40 pm

personally, Vagina by Cupcakke should’ve been entered, and won.
♡ i bloom just for you ♡

bluecherry
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:46 pm

bluecherry wrote:personally, Vagina by Cupcakke should’ve been entered, and won.
:lol:

Where is Wayne? :(
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:55 pm

Sorry, do plan on updating tonight - I have an important meeting at work tomorrow, so been preparing for that for the last two days.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:59 pm

Good luck on your meeting! :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:17 pm

UKMIX20 - R11

We continue with our #UKMIX20 theme and we reach the year 2006. Reading through the year 2006, a fair amount happened but one particular entertainment story stuck out:

An infamous movie called Zyzzyx Road was released. Why is it infamous? Well, the movie cost $1.2 million to make but it grossed just $30 at the box office - it is unequivocally the biggest flop in film history (though there are reasons - Google will tell you more).

And your theme centers on that.

Your theme for R11 is FLOPS - select a song from an album that was a renowned commercial flop or from an album that famously underperformed.

ACTION: Collectors, you have 24 hours to PM me your ONE chosen song - this will be a single elimination round.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:58 am

Oh, Wayne, what did the judges ever do to you? :lol:
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:28 am

There is one particular flop album I'm thinking of that has some fantastic tracks. Hope a song from that one is selected.

Honestly, so many prominent UKMix divas have flopped in recent years that this should be an easy round for the song collectors, but I guess when you have to factor four different judges' tastes into the equation, it becomes dicey.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Wayne » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:17 am

A good job I'm not voting as one of the songs I've received thus far would get a score of 1,000,000. :cry:

Love it so much, that I'm going to listen to the artist's album on the way to work - I expect it to do very well (though not confident it fits the theme entirely).
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Wayne » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:20 pm

Just a reminder to the two collectors that haven't submitted their entries yet - please send your choices over the next few hours!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Wayne » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 pm

The judges have the songs!

Also, as per original conditions of the reward, flopho forfeits his right to use the immunity card as by next round, we'll be in the top 5.

How gallant of him not to have used or needed it - let's hope he sees R11 through successfully or he just might regret that decision not to use it!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby flopho » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:10 pm

^messss, I forgot about that rule :oops: :lol:
¡Eh, mamá!
Me quiero matar
El mundo se va a la mierda
Y no he hecho nada
flopho
Legend

Postby urbanmusik » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:56 pm

Christina Aguilera practically invented the flop and y'all pay her dust #justiceforbionic
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Return to Games