Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby GetBack » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:25 am

"...Baby One More Time" is the debut single by American singer Britney Spears. It was written and produced by Max Martin and Rami, and released in 1998, by JIVE Records for Spears' debut album of the same name. It is one of the best-selling singles of all time, with over 15 million copies sold. The song's impact spearheaded the revival of teen pop music in the late 1990s, and its music video became one of the most popular music videos of all time. In Total Request Live's final episode in 2008, "…Baby One More Time" was number one in their final countdown as the most iconic music video of all time and was the last video to be played on the show.

The track reached the top spot in North America (both in Canada and the United States) and in every European country in which it charted. In topping the Hot 100 and the Billboard 200 charts in 1999, Spears became the first new female artist to have a number one single on the Billboard Hot 100 and number one album on the Billboard 200 at the same time; the first new artist (male or female) to have a single go to the number one spot the same week that the album debuted at number one; and the first new female artist to have the first single and first album at number one the same week. This also made Spears the youngest female in Billboard history to have a simultaneous single and album at number one in the same week.
GetBack
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Iconic, legendary, groundbreaking, incredible, amazing, spectacular.

Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:34 am

Simply the best pure pop song of all-time.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Fan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:16 am

Iconic, classic and I will never get tired of it <3
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby MusicLover88 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:08 am

THIS STILL SOUNDS SO DAMN EPIC.
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
MusicLover88
Superstar

Postby MrLeonix » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:54 pm

THE TRAILBLAZING HITS THAT CHANGED THE FACE OF THE CHARTS

Every hit is special, but sometimes a true trailblazer comes along, changing the face of music, inspiring other artists or simply heralding a huge period of success for a particular genre.

Britney Spears – …Baby One More Time
This now iconic track didn't just kick start an incredible career for Britney Spears, it was the beginning of a pop movement, heralded by Swedish songwriter, producer and all-round pop genius Max Martin. …Baby One More Time set the agenda for pop for the next few years, spawning infinite copycats and reigniting a taste for young, talented solo pop divas. The million-selling …Baby One More Time was a true phenomenon, shifting huge amounts in its first week and putting Britney, Max and blonde ponytails on the pop map for ever.
http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-new ... ts__19613/
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:52 am

Maybe the most iconic song of all time.
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby Instinct » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:18 am

"...Baby One More Time" was released 19 years ago today!

Britney’s iconic debut single, “...Baby One More Time,” was released on September 30, 1998. It launched the career of one of the best selling female artists of all time, and went on to become her first global smash, reaching #1 in every country it charted. It remains one of the most iconic pop songs of all time and catapulted Britney into superstardom overnight.

"...Baby One More Time" was the #1 song of 1999 in the UK, as well as the 8th biggest song of the entire 1990s decade, and is currently the 5th best selling female song of all time with 1.56 million pure sales.

"...Baby One More Time" is one of the very few songs in history to reach #1 in every country they charted

"...Baby One More Time" was the longest running #1 of 1999 in Australia, with 9 weeks at #1 (tied for 4th longest running #1 of the entire 1990s decade).

"...Baby One More Time" is one of the best selling physical singles of all time, with over 5.3 million copies sold.

"...Baby One More Time" has over 295 million views on VEVO and is expected to reach 300 million views next month, making it one of the most viewed pre-YouTube videos of all time.

"...Baby One More Time" has nearly 110 million streams on Spotify, making it one of the most streamed songs from the 1990s decade.

"...Baby One More Time" has been purchased more than 38 million times in total (album, single, compilations)

#1 Australia
#1 Austria
#1 Belgium (Flanders)
#1 Belgium (Wallonia)
#1 Canada
#1 Czech Republic
#1 Denmark
#1 Europe
#1 Finland
#1 France
#1 Germany
#1 Greece
#1 Ireland
#1 Italy
#1 Netherlands
#1 New Zealand
#1 Norway
#1 Romania
#1 Scotland
#1 Sweden
#1 Switzerland
#1 United Kingdom
#1 United States

Happy Birthday!

Additionally, here's a recent video of 55k fans singing along to "...Baby One More Time" in Tel Aviv. 8-)
Last edited by Instinct on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Instinct
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:22 am

This is what bubblegum pop perfection sounds like.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:20 am

Those chart stats are outstanding! :o
Fan
Legend

Postby ludichris » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:06 am

Her best lead single by a landslide.
ludichris
Manager

Postby menime123 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:02 am

Why wasn’t it released in more countries?
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:56 am

menime123 wrote:Why wasn’t it released in more countries?
It was released everywhere, its just that back in the 90s there were less official charts than there are nowadays.

-----

Happy anniversary to one of the most iconic, legendary, impactful and biggest classic songs of all time!

I still remember when this monster #1 came out. Happy 19 "Baby one more time"!!
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:58 pm

I’ve always loved this. I remember going on a religious retreat (don’t ask) and everyone was loving her.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:05 pm

I don't feel like celebrating because it hadn't been released in Europe for another year and it took another half a year before people knew Britney existed.

Iconic track though which changed popular music in every way possible.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:25 pm

menime123 wrote:I’ve always loved this. I remember going on a religious retreat (don’t ask) and everyone was loving her.
I remember how she became a massive superstar just right away when the music video aired on MTV.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby beredy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Mainshow wrote:I don't feel like celebrating because it hadn't been released in Europe for another year and it took another half a year before people knew Britney existed.

What are you rambling? It didn't take that long. I disticntly remember that both BOMT and Emilia's Big Big World were at heavy rotation on MTV/VIVA at the same time. That was end of 1998- beginning of 1999. It was basically the same time as the US.
beredy
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:22 pm

beredy wrote:
Mainshow wrote:I don't feel like celebrating because it hadn't been released in Europe for another year and it took another half a year before people knew Britney existed.

What are you rambling? It didn't take that long. I disticntly remember that both BOMT and Emilia's Big Big World were at heavy rotation on MTV/VIVA at the same time. That was end of 1998- beginning of 1999. It was basically the same time as the US.
Internationally, the song was released in February 1999.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:36 pm

Mainshow wrote:Internationally, the song was released in February 1999.
Don't confuse the fact that a physical CD was issued in February 1999 in several parts of Europe with the song being on MTV and Radio stations several weeks and months before the physical release. Two different things :wink:
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Guru » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:33 am

What song was this :o

After recording and sending a demo tape with an unused song from Toni Braxton, Spears signed a multi-album deal with Jive.
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby beredy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:12 am

MrLeonix wrote:
Mainshow wrote:Internationally, the song was released in February 1999.
Don't confuse the fact that a physical CD was issued in February 1999 in several parts of Europe with the song being on MTV and Radio stations several weeks and months before the physical release. Two different things :wink:
Yeah, the song and the video were playing much earlier than February. I know I was on my winter school holidays (January) when my cousin came and she loved Emilia and I loved Britney more and we got into a fight which one will be a bigger star. Emilia's "Big Big World" played on TV while we had a fight :lol:

Elementary School memories :D
beredy
Manager

Postby Fan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:33 pm

beredy wrote:

What a time to be alive- Emilia's Big Big World is just too much for me. Soo cheesy, but soo brilliant at the same time and alwatys brings back the most memories for me (slightly off topic I know).
And BOMT is just the definition of a pop song, I remember watching the telly all the time just to catch the video, was absolutely obsessed with her.
Fan
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:48 pm

Classic...love the video, she was so young!
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:18 pm

Billboard: Here Are 20 Pop Songs That Turn 20 This Year

Britney Spears, "...Baby One More Time"

There are few, if any, debut singles as legendary as this in pop music. And unlike a number of songs from 1998, this one doesn't rely on nostalgia to move the crowd or inspire a sing-along. That winking, dirty piano riff and Britney's defiant, aching delivery ensure that "...Baby One More Time" is an ageless pop classic along the lines of ABBA's "Dancing Queen" -- when it comes on, you're gonna dance. No questions asked.
Source: https://www.billboard.com/articles/colu ... songs-1998

---

Such a classic!.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:13 am

Wow! 20 years! It feels like yesterday! :cry: :cry:
GetBack
Legend

Return to The Retro