Debbie Gibson | Lost In Your Eyes

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

 

Postby RayRay » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:33 pm

For the week ending March 4, 1989, Lost In Your Eyes hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

"Lost in Your Eyes", was No. 1 on the Hot 100 for three weeks, garnering her another achievement as the first female to have both an album and single simultaneously at No. 1. (She shared the 1989 ASCAP Songwriter of the Year Award with Bruce Springsteen.)

Debbie single handedly wrote, produced and performed both her #1 hits Foolish Beat and Lost In Your Eyes, making her the only female artist to be completely self-contained on a chart-topping single. (ChartBeat)

Question: How did "Lost in Your Eyes" come to be the first single from "Electric Youth"?

Debbie Gibson: "I had started performing that song on the road on the "Out of the Blue" tour. From the opening two bars of the piano intro, it elicited screams from audiences. It had yet to be recorded or played on the radio, but it was already a hit. That's not ego talking. It's just true of any artist and any song that has that feeling of being familiar, yet new. My acting teacher, Howard Fine, said that phrase to me in relation to what is a hit, be it a hit piece of theater or a hit song.
It's so true. It's like an old friend. You predict that the melody is going to go in a satisfying way."
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 10957
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby RayRay » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:34 pm

User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 10957
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby GetBack » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:53 pm

Love her voice! I can't believe teen pop shelf life was basically two years and that's it. She could have been bigger but the divas took over the nineties.
Carey like Mariah.
User avatar
GetBack
Legend
 
Posts: 30021
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010
Location: Philippines

Postby RayRay » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:05 pm

GetBack wrote:Love her voice! I can't believe teen pop shelf life was basically two years and that's it. She could have been bigger but the divas took over the nineties.
Never understood why she wasn't one of those divas. Anything Is Possible had many great songs.
And her fourth studio album was very mature.

Losin' Myself was what Justify My Love was for Madonna and That's The Way Love Goes for Janet. It should have been her third #1 hit.

User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 10957
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby Pawlu84 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:28 am

She lasted a bit more than Tiffany, even though ITWAN is bigger than any Debbie song.
Pawlu84
Manager
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011

Postby RayRay » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Pawlu84 wrote:She lasted a bit more than Tiffany, even though ITWAN is bigger than any Debbie song.
You cannot compare the two.
Debbie was more pop, writing, producing, playing the piano.
She was named the new Madonna.

I do love Tiffany's first two albums too.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 10957
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby Pawlu84 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:13 pm

RayRay wrote:
Pawlu84 wrote:She lasted a bit more than Tiffany, even though ITWAN is bigger than any Debbie song.
You cannot compare the two.
Debbie was more pop, writing, producing, playing the piano.
She was named the new Madonna.

I do love Tiffany's first two albums too.
Debbie is better but Tiffany has the better voice.
Pawlu84
Manager
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011

Postby RayRay » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:13 pm

Perhaps Tiffany may have a better voice technically, but I prefer Debbie's voice.
Tiffany has something in her voice that if fun to listen to for a few songs, but I hardly ever played a whole album by her.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 10957
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby Pawlu84 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:38 am

RayRay wrote:Perhaps Tiffany may have a better voice technically, but I prefer Debbie's voice.
Tiffany has something in her voice that if fun to listen to for a few songs, but I hardly ever played a whole album by her.
I do love Debbie's voice in Losin' Myself that song should have smashed.
Pawlu84
Manager
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011

Postby thebigham » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:14 pm

I liked this in the 80s, but I don't think it holds up very well today. I rarely hear it on 80s' radio shows.
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 54154
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Postby RayRay » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:28 pm

thebigham wrote:I liked this in the 80s, but I don't think it holds up very well today. I rarely hear it on 80s' radio shows.
I think it has stand the time. It's so recognizable. The first seconds and you know it's her. It has something epic.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 10957
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby Controlfreak » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:54 pm

My favorite song from her.
Controlfreak
Manager
 
Posts: 4190
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012

Postby RayRay » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:51 pm

Controlfreak wrote:My favorite song from her.
I couldn't possibly choose. So many great songs:
Sure
Try
In His Mind
Where Have You Been
Foolish Beat
Anything Is Possible
Losin' Myself
Where I Wanna Be
Cry Tonight
Butterflies Are Fee
Just Wasn't Love
Naturally
No More Rhyme
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 10957
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Return to The Retro