Janet Jackson - Damita Jo

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby MrDiva » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:20 pm

Yoshie wrote:
biscuits wrote:'Moist' is so damn underrated. I'm sick of people hating on it just because it's sexually explicit in the lyrics (which you can't even tell if not for the title). I bet a lot of people saw the title and hated it before even listening to it.

It's gorgeous!
MrD I need you to give Like You Don't Love Me a few more spins to discover its greatness. :wink:
*adding it to playlist*

I still don't like moist. I love some of her other very sexy sultry tracks like Would You Mind, Rope Burn, etc. but Moist is... weak
MrDiva
Legend

Postby caseycasey » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:06 pm

I know this makes me a big prude but I generally hate songs with extremely sexually explicit lyrics. :oops:

Damita Jo is a great album though.
caseycasey
Groupie

Postby Muzikritik » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:53 pm

Yeah I really liked this record. R&B Junkie, My Baby and All Nite were tunes back in 2004!!
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Mikerocha » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:56 pm

This is one of my favorite Janet albums
“B**** come here! B**** come here! B**** come here!”

“I’m staying right here.”
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:04 pm

GetBack wrote:"All Nite (Don't Stop)" could have been the lead single. She could have also released "My Baby" with Kanye, that's played a lot on the radio here in the Philippines back in 2004. Even if she was blacklisted in the US and most markets, this era feels so much better than the Unbreakable era.
Apart from the disappointing sales and blacklisting, this era was quite fun! She actively promoted the record and all the singles - several interviews and televised performances. A tour would have been great - it could have helped the era a lot and could have made her decline less harsh.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby MrLeonix » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:43 pm

I feel like the lead single "Just a little while" is vastly underrated and overlooked. Don't know why her fans hate it so much. IMO its a fresh fun pop-rock song, love the rock vibe and spirit on it. In normal conditions (without blacklisting) this would have been an undeniable Janet Top 20 hit.

The singles were really cool, I also think "All nite" is great. The album isn't bad, but it does sound quite inferior to her previous material, its like a lesser version of "All for you". I also think the album has a really weird tracklist order.

The era itself was miles better than all of her following ones ("20 Y.O", "Discipline" and "Unbreakable").
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:26 am

After listening to her discography again which I always do from time to time, I just realized how this had the best interludes. The Velvet Rope comes close (the masturbating interlude was unnecessary and tasteless to be honest). I really love how Janet talked about herself in bits all over the album. It had more focus on who she is not being an artist with big artistic statements and all but just by being herself. Kanye also produced his best material here, the old school throwback '70s vibe could have been more emphasized more.

Not to pit artists or anything, but Mariah's Emancipation (with Kanye and Jermaine being part of that album too) really took notes from this in a way, with the whole moniker thing too (suddenly she was called 'Mimi' by her closest friends) and the old school vibe in songs, but of course, Mariah's era was more exciting as a whole and was executed better with a more focused marketing and PR team and stronger singles at that.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Gravity » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:04 pm

I like this more than All For You or 20 Y.O.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby hellohello » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:54 pm

Gravity wrote:I like this more than All For You or 20 Y.O.
Same here although sometimes I prefer A4U.
Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney
hellohello
Manager

Postby Pawlu84 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:55 am

Damita Jo is her best album bar Unbreakable since the Velvet Rope.
Pawlu84
Manager

Postby LotsOfLove » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:19 pm

Personally, I think this is one of her strongest albums and should've been handled completely differently.
It has such a tropical summer feeling which I love a lot. The first songs on the album are a bit confusing to me (even tho I like them all except the Kanye one). From Spending time with you until the end there's this interesting summer vibe to it, so tropical, hot and sexy. But before STWY it feels like the songs are a bit uninspired and don't really match the other songs of the album.

Also I think this would've been the perfect single choice :
1. Slolove
2. I Want You
3. All Nite
4. Spending time with you OR Like you don't love me

Sexhibition, Damita Jo , Strawberry Bounce are really good songs but they somehow don't fit this album perfectly.
LotsOfLove
Manager

Postby GetBack » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:27 am

All for You, Damita Jo and 20 Y.O had interconnected themes.

All for You: fun pop, summer songs
Damita Jo: summer songs, throwback Motown songs
20 Y.O.: throwback Motown songs, hip-hop
GetBack
Legend

Postby Guru » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:36 am

Imo 20YO was her biggest flop mistake. That album needs to be erased from history :lol:
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby biscuits » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:43 am

LotsOfLove wrote:Personally, I think this is one of her strongest albums and should've been handled completely differently.
It has such a tropical summer feeling which I love a lot. The first songs on the album are a bit confusing to me (even tho I like them all except the Kanye one). From Spending time with you until the end there's this interesting summer vibe to it, so tropical, hot and sexy. But before STWY it feels like the songs are a bit uninspired and don't really match the other songs of the album.

Sexhibition, Damita Jo , Strawberry Bounce are really good songs but they somehow don't fit this album perfectly.
I agree with a lot of this. The first few songs are good (although I'm not a fan of Sexhibition that much) but they seem disconnected from the rest of the album. I love Strawberry Bounce, but I could understand if non-fans called it trash.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby GetBack » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:53 am

"I'm Here", "Put Your Hands On" and "Could This Be Love" can all replace the first three uptempo songs.
GetBack
Legend

Postby biscuits » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:55 am

And if we include 'Love Me (Just Blaze Remix)', that's 20 songs! She could have made 2 albums from this era!
biscuits
The Diva

Postby intosoul » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:53 am

How on earth can someone call 20 Y.O. "throwback Motown" ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
intosoul
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:27 pm

In the interludes and for some midtempos, they incorporated elements of that, as Janet talked about her childhood. it's like the extension of the "I Want You" sound most definitely.
GetBack
Legend

Postby intosoul » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:44 pm

GetBack wrote:In the interludes and for some midtempos, they incorporated elements of that, as Janet talked about her childhood. it's like the extension of the "I Want You" sound most definitely.
That is quite a reach, but Jam & Lewis definitely brought some magic to this project.
Too bad JD's plastic beats ruined everything.
intosoul
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:37 am

Damita Jo 3/5 (nice intro)
Sexhibition 2.5/5 (not as bad as it used to be)
Strawberry Bounce 4/5 (love the SNL performance!)
Spending Time With You 2/5 (always thought it was boring)
Island Life 3/5 (used to love it, but not so much now)
All Nite 4/5 (good, but not the best like many think)
R&B Junkie 4/5 (really feeling this lately)
I Want You 4/5 (it probably is the strongest song even though it's not my fave. Vocals >>>)
Like You Don't Love Me 4/5 (cute)
Thinkin Bout My Ex 4/5 (grown on me recently, I just wish her vocals were stronger)
Warmth 3/5 (used to love it, but it's so trashy!)
Moist 5/5 (gorgeous!)
Truly 3.5/5 (it's sweet)
SloLove 3/5 (not bad)
Just a Little While 3/5 (it's cute, but a bit annoying. Always reminds me of the tumultuous Feb 2004)

I'm Here 3/5 (starts off fantastically, but drags on)
Put Your Hands On 3/5 (nice but kinda goes nowhere)
Love Me (Just Blaze Remix) 3.5/5 (I used to love it and I wish it was the lead single! She could have overcome the Superbowl with a song like this)
Could This Be Love 3.5/5 (nice, 00s R&B)
biscuits
The Diva

Postby GetBack » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:15 am

I still love this, it's a very calming album.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Bojan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:21 am

MrLeonix wrote:I feel like the lead single "Just a little while" is vastly underrated and overlooked. Don't know why her fans hate it so much.
It was on its way to become her 11th Billboard 100 #1 before she was blacklisted. It's a great song that was well received by the critics and second biggest hit in Japan in 2004. It did well internationally (Belgium 2, Canada 3, Spain 6, Hungary 10, Top 20 in the UK, Italy, Denmark, Australia...) and it would do even better domestically. It was a perfect first single imo.
JanetShe is literally, every artist's favorite artist. She is forever trending. We are living in a Janet Nation. Every day we feel her impact.
Bojan
Manager

Postby red3269 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:39 am

Better than 20YO and Discipline and very close if not slightly better than All Foy You (on some days). Love the chill and easy vibe of the album.

JALW was the perfecflead single imo. It was on its way to the top 5 at least then it git blacklisted. Video is whack though and felt rushed.

Overall a very solid album by Janet which would have been bigger if the SB didnt happen.
red3269
Manager

Postby Bojan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:44 am

red3269 wrote:JALW was the perfecflead single imo. It was on its way to the top 5 at least then it git blacklisted. Video is whack though and felt rushed.
It was rushed cause the song leaked. It was one of the first major leaks and it was a big deal back then.
JanetShe is literally, every artist's favorite artist. She is forever trending. We are living in a Janet Nation. Every day we feel her impact.
Bojan
Manager

Postby GetBack » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:49 am

It's very frustrating that this had so much potential. R&B was still so huge during this time and it's sad that everything she released never became a big hit because of the backlash. :cry: :cry:
GetBack
Legend

Return to The Retro