Janet Jackson - Damita Jo

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Bojan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:21 am

She was nearly 40, the sales in general were lower and lower, she would struggling soon anyway. One more big album wouldn't make her more iconic, her place in the history of popular music was well secured 15 years before Damita Jo was released. So, I'm probably in minority, but I'm happy that SB happened. That actually made her even more iconic in a long term perspective . They are talking about it as about one of the key moments in the past decade on National Geographic, BBC etc. Janet is and always will be a Super Bowl half time show. Forget ratings and how spectacular performances are now, it will always be only about Janet and other are performing there just to be compared to her and then forgotten. She became most searched news item and most searched person in history as well. And she was most searched person and news item on the internet in both 2004 and 2005.
JanetShe is literally, every artist's favorite artist. She is forever trending. We are living in a Janet Nation. Every day we feel her impact.
Bojan
Manager

Postby biscuits » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:28 am

I can't believe a Janet fan would say they are glad the Super Bowl incident happened, just because it made her infamous (not s good thing)

I would rather her be remembered for having a few extra hits than for the Super Bowl.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Bojan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:55 am

No one would be remembered for having a few extra hits. Those songs would hardly become classics. After all, she didn't do anything bad. It has only been bad received, but that was American, not her failure. In Germany we had billboards with uncensored SB photo advertising album. Everybody loved it.

I don't know where are you from and how's nudity perceived in your country but it wasn't a big deal in majority of European countries.
JanetShe is literally, every artist's favorite artist. She is forever trending. We are living in a Janet Nation. Every day we feel her impact.
Bojan
Manager

Postby GetBack » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:19 am

I knew all along that she wanted to spice up her career by doing the Superbowl. This incident happened a few months after Madonna liplocked Britney Spears in the VMAs, then all of a sudden, Justin Timberlake rips her wardrobe apart by accident in another high profile event?! It was sad because this one mistake almost erased her entire legacy, I mean, it really cheapened her image. If there's anything "good" that happened in relation to Michael's death that did favors for Janet careerwise, it made people more accepting of the Jacksons again.
GetBack
Legend

Postby intosoul » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:18 pm

GetBack wrote:It was sad because this one mistake almost erased her entire legacy, I mean, it really cheapened her image.
!!!!

In my opionion this was the baddest career move ever. And then she went with this hypersexual image for the next 3 albums :roll: making it seem she has no other talents than showing her body.
intosoul
Superstar

Postby intosoul » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:30 pm

FLAWLESS TRACKS:
I Want You (what a vocal performance!)
All Nite (should have been the first single)
Thinkin' Bout My Ex (so underrated, I imagine a follow-up to the Anytime Anyplace video as the visual)
R&B Junkie
Like You Don't Love Me
Just A Little While (stunning pop track!)

GOOD ALBUM TRACKS:
Sexhibition
Strawberry Bounce
My Baby
Moist
Truly

SONGS I CAN LIVE WITHOUT:
Damita Jo
Spending Time With You
Island Life
Warmth
SloLove
intosoul
Superstar

Postby Bojan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:13 pm

GetBack wrote:I knew all along that she wanted to spice up her career by doing the Superbowl. This incident happened a few months after Madonna liplocked Britney Spears in the VMAs, then all of a sudden, Justin Timberlake rips her wardrobe apart by accident in another high profile event?! It was sad because this one mistake almost erased her entire legacy, I mean, it really cheapened her image. If there's anything "good" that happened in relation to Michael's death that did favors for Janet careerwise, it made people more accepting of the Jacksons again.
Artist's legacy can't be erased by scandals. That's simply impossible. If scandal can erase your artistic legacy, you never had one. That's the fact. They only erased the hype that was usually surrounding her new releases, and praised her legacy less in the next few years in the media, but those attempts are never lasting long and that was the best they could do.

And I don't think that it had anything to do with Madonna, Britney and Christina. Janet was always into kinky things. We already saw her boobs on a TV in 2002 (Live in Hawaii).
Bojan
Manager

Postby GetBack » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:07 pm

Legacies of legends can be erased. Just look at Michael Jackson. He had to die to reinstate his legacy as a pop legend. He was already seen as a joke in the early 2000s. He couldn't even tour the US anymore. His excessive plastic surgery, the Neverland scandal, that baby dangling incident and that MTV appearance where he thought he was receiving an Artist of the Millennium award (when it was just a spiel read by Britney introducing him in 2002) among many other incidents tarnished everything he has achieved as an artist. It was only after his sudden death that the respect towards the impact he has made in pop music was acknowledged again.

The perfect example right now is Bill Cosby, he is a legend in entertainment there is no denying that, but after the allegations surfaced, he won't be seen and be celebrated as one anymore.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Bojan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:17 pm

Michael Jackson is the great example that legacy can't be erased. It can be less celebrated for a while but not destroyed. Even during the '00s when it wasn't cool to be a fan of Michael Jackson on that level that people were even ashamed to admit they like or liked him at some point of their lives, his legacy wasn't in danger at all. It was living trough other chart topping artists heavily influenced by him (Usher, Justin Timberlake and so on). The same goes for Janet. To destroy her legacy you need to destroy all of this and that's impossible.

I don't know what's Bill Cosby's legacy, but I'm sure that it's not in danger, no matter what people think about his personality right now. And Janet's "crime" is incomparable with his or with the false allegations that her brother had to deal with. Once he died, everybody forgot or stopped caring about them and legacy is still there, untouched.

What Janet did was really nothing. The way American society reacted was something to worry about. She changed the image of America rather than her own. She was kinky, she is kinky, she will always be kinky. We didn't discover anything new. Award shows weren't delayed, YouTube didn't exist, but now it does - thanks to her SB performance. That's her legacy, ya'll watching your faves on YouTube thanks to Janet. Something is bad, something is great but she impacted American society (and the whole world) with that performance in the way that other pop artists never will.
Last edited by Bojan on Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bojan
Manager

Postby YASgawd » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:17 pm

Thinkin' Bout My Ex, All Nite, R&B Junkie, I Want You, My Baby, Strawberry Bounce, Sexhibition, Moist, Like You Don't Love Me and Just A Little While <3

This is a very solid record.
See, I'm looking for a man that'll rub me slow, make me sing real high when he goes down low
YASgawd
Manager

Postby hellohello » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:54 pm

I agree with Bojan. Janet has already cemented her place as legendary. She just doesn't get the recognition she deserves, all because she got blacklisted from the radio. :evil:
Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney
hellohello
Manager

Postby intosoul » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:05 pm

The "funny" thing is she seems to have restored her legacy in the US now, but she is still forgotten about in Europe.
intosoul
Superstar

Postby Taurus » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:52 am

Overtime I think I like this over AFY, Disc and definitely 20YO. I think it places on the same level as Unbreakable? Idk. With Janet it always changes cause my mood shifts my desire to listen to certain albums. All her albums are good for certain times (not 20YO though lol)
Taurus
Manager

Postby Pawlu84 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:37 am

My rating:

Damita Jo - 8/10 - Love this one quite Hip Hop a bit on the short.

Sexhibition - 8/10 Again a bit short love it, especially the last part with the guitar.

Strawberry Bounce - 9/10 - so catchy one of my favourites from the album.

My Baby (featuring Kanye West) - 8/10 - sweet and smooth she's basically whispering the whole song :lol:

Spending Time with You - 8/10 - again a mellow song but quite ''summery'

Island Life - 9/10 - another one of my favourites love the tropical beat and her vocals are great.

All Nite (Don't Stop) - 9/10 - a bit overplayed but still a banger should have been the first single.

R&B Junkie - 10/10 - my favourite song in the album so 80's

I Want You - 10/10 - the second best song in the album and her best vocal performance, love it, she looked amazing in the video.

Like You Don't Love Me - 7/10 - quite naughty lyrics from here the album starts to dip a bit.

Thinkin' Bout My Ex - 6/10 - the ballad of the album it's ok, can't be compared to again or everytime.

Warmth - 4/10 - the worst song in the album ( still much better than Would you mind)

Moist - 5.5/10 - again awful lyrics but i love the melody it's quite jazzy.

Truly - 7/10 - this song is almost acapella but I always had a sotf spot for it.

SloLove - 6/10 - this song sounds like a Kylie song not my style.

Just a Little While - 9/10 - The first single, many hate it but I love it it's so catchy and summery. ( this is the only album I know that have the first single as the last track) :lol:
Pawlu84
Manager

Postby biscuits » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:48 am

Damita Jo 7.5/10
Sexhibition 5/10
Strawberry Bounce 9/10
My Baby 7/10
Spending Time With You 5/10
Island Life 8/10
All Nite 8.5/10
R&B Junkie 9/10
I Want You 9/10
Like You Don't Love Me 8/10
Thinkin Bout My Ex 8.5/10
Warmth 7/10
Moist 10/10
Truly 8/10
SloLove 8/10
Just a Little While 7.5/10

Average: 7.8 (a significant decrease from 'All For You')
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Gravity » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:50 am

Pawlu84 wrote:Just a Little While - 9/10 - The first single, many hate it but I love it it's so catchy and summery. ( this is the only album I know that have the first single as the last track) :lol:
Run The World (Girls) says hi :lol:
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby intosoul » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:59 am

Damita Jo 5/10
Sexhibition 7/10
Strawberry Bounce 8/10
My Baby 8/10
Island Life 4/10
All Nite 10/10
R&B Junkie 9/10
I Want You 10/10
Like You Don't Love Me 9/10
Thinkin Bout My Ex 10/10
Warmth 4/10
Moist 6/10
Truly 8/10
SloLove 4/10
Just a Little While 8/10
intosoul
Superstar

Postby Pawlu84 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:28 am

biscuits wrote:Damita Jo 7.5/10
Sexhibition 5/10
Strawberry Bounce 9/10
My Baby 7/10
Island Life 8/10
All Nite 8.5/10
R&B Junkie 9/10
I Want You 9/10
Thinkin Bout My Ex 8.5/10
Warmth 7/10
Moist 10/10
Truly 8/10
SloLove 8/10
Just a Little While 7.5/10

Average: 7.8 (a significant decrease from 'All For You')
What a S**t :lol:
Pawlu84
Manager

Postby Gravity » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:24 am

Moist is cute
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby biscuits » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:10 pm

Moist is so classy and grown. Real jazzy instrumental
biscuits
The Diva

Postby hellohello » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:14 pm

Damita Jo 7/10
Sexhibition 6/10
Strawberry Bounce 6/10
My Baby 7/10
Spending Time With You 6/10
Island Life 8/10
All Nite 10/10
R&B Junkie 8/10
I Want You 9/10
Thinkin Bout My Ex 8/10
Warmth 5/10
Moist 6/10
Truly 8/10
SloLove 6/10
Just a Little While 7/10
Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney
hellohello
Manager

Postby intosoul » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:13 am

Gravity wrote:
Pawlu84 wrote:Just a Little While - 9/10 - The first single, many hate it but I love it it's so catchy and summery. ( this is the only album I know that have the first single as the last track) :lol:
Run The World (Girls) says hi :lol:
Applause says 'hello' too :lol:
intosoul
Superstar

Postby dhenapie » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:19 pm

This was Janet's best album of 2000's by quite a large margin. Criminally underrated by GP, but love the fact that it's one of her true fans' most loved records.

Damita Jo 8/10
Sexhibition 9/10 - Loooved this one, albeit very short. Still remember the first time I heard this song and thought "is it Mariah Carey doing the whistles on it?" Fun times :lol:
Strawberry Bounce 7/10
My Baby 9/10
Spending Time With You 8/10
Island Life 4/10
All Nite 10/10- Should've been the first single.
R&B Junkie 10/10 - Need I say more? One of Janet's best songs, hands down.
I Want You 9/10
Like You Don't Love Me 9/10
Thinkin Bout My Ex 8/10
Warmth 7/10
Moist 7/10 -
Truly 8/10
SloLove 8/10 - Love love loooove the 90's vibe on it!
Just a Little While 8/10 - Love the song. Music video not very much :lol:
♕♕♕
dhenapie
Manager

Postby ArmyOfMe » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:31 am

I'm in the mood for R&B slowjams today, and Spending Time with You is in my playlist. Such a gorgeous track.
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby BlueScorpion » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:25 am

Many have labeled this album as uninspired and dull but I'm glad to read the comments praising it. It's my favorite album by Janet from the 00s and one of the first albums I ever bought, I treasure loving memories of this.
You ain't gotta break down,
YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Return to The Retro