Mariah Carey - Charmbracelet

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Gravity » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:00 pm

Emotions is her 2nd best album after Butterfly.
Glitter is mostly trash. It had a good idea (throwback 80s sound) but it was executed poorly. Too many drippy ballads and terrible covers.
Charmbracelet was ruined by bad vocals, but it has many good compositions.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:24 pm

It is not really a bad album, it just lacked a hit single.
GetBack
Legend

Postby intosoul » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:54 pm

If she scrapped five tracks and re-recorded the vocals, the album could pass as "okay".
intosoul
Superstar

Postby ThaInfo1 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:03 pm

I've always enjoyed "Yours" and "Through The Rain Remix".

I can kinda see the charm as to why folks like this album so much, but it;s just ok to me. Not one of my favs at all.

I've been meaning to give all her meh albums era a re-listen again. (Rainbow, Glitter, Charmbracelet).
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Controlfreak » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:33 pm

So many lambs hate this album I don't know why either. It's not that bad. It's better than Me I Am... tbh.
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Pawlu84 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:48 pm

This album would be one of her best if it wasn't for her vocals (funny isn't it).
Pawlu84
Manager

Postby ArmyOfMe » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:40 pm

I find this album fascinating tbh. And the vocals are lush.

Underrated.
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:00 am

"Subtle Invitation" is amazing! :cry: :cry:
GetBack
Legend

Postby Muzikritik » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:14 pm

Pawlu84 wrote:This album would be one of her best if it wasn't for her vocals (funny isn't it).
I agree with this. It had a real story from start to finish. And because of her circumstances at the time, it made for a revealing listen. Her lyricism was mature and engaging too.

Though apart from the vocals it did lack a big hit single which all of her albums up until then had.

I still love all the urban tunes on this. You Had Your Chance and Irresistable are tunes and I might be the only one you still likes Boy and You Got Me.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby iMacourey » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:02 am

I love this album. I'm really into You Had Your Chance, Lullaby, Irresistible and Subtle Invitation at the moment, but really the whole album is solid. A lot of people didn't like her vocals on this but I think she sounded heavenly for the most part! 8-)
iMacourey
Groupie

Postby GetBack » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:26 pm

This is the kind of album that would fit her perfectly today.
GetBack
Legend

Postby TheRealest » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:07 am

Lullaby >
TheRealest
The Queen

Postby RayRay » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Muzikritik wrote:
Pawlu84 wrote:This album would be one of her best if it wasn't for her vocals (funny isn't it).
I agree with this. It had a real story from start to finish. And because of her circumstances at the time, it made for a revealing listen. Her lyricism was mature and engaging too.

Though apart from the vocals it did lack a big hit single which all of her albums up until then had.

I still love all the urban tunes on this. You Had Your Chance and Irresistable are tunes and I might be the only one you still likes Boy and You Got Me.
In the US you mean. Through The Rain was a bigger lead single in the UK than Emotions or Loverboy (Glitter).
RayRay
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:59 am

Muzikritik wrote:It had a real story from start to finish. And because of her circumstances at the time, it made for a revealing listen. Her lyricism was mature and engaging too.
I agree! This is what is missing in many of her albums lately!
GetBack
Legend

Postby BlueScorpion » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:07 am

I happened to be very surprised of how Through The Rain underperformed in markets such as the US. It was quite successful here in Europe.
BlueScorpion
Manager

Postby dhenapie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:49 am

Currently listening to this gem. Funny how I used to really loathe this album a couple of years back, and now it's like in my top 3 faves from her.

I do still believe it could've been a lot better if she didn't go overboard with the whispering, but it's how masterful the lyrics were put together and its cohesiveness are the main assets of it so I could live with the whispering I guess.
We are never just good or just bad. We are mosaics of our worst selves and our best selves.
- Taylor Swift (reputation)
dhenapie
Manager

Postby hellohello » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:11 pm

dhenapie wrote:Currently listening to this gem. Funny how I used to really loathe this album a couple of years back, and now it's like in my top 3 faves from her.

I do still believe it could've been a lot better if she didn't go overboard with the whispering, but it's how masterful the lyrics were put together and its cohesiveness are the main assets of it so I could live with the whispering I guess.
I warmed up to this album over the years. Now I'm finding new hidden gems and I can't get enough. It's a shame that this was slept on and the fact that she did not utilise her voice to its fullest. This is fine R&B though. :wink:
Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney
hellohello
Manager

Postby ArmyOfMe » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:18 pm

This album is one of her most artistic efforts
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby Goldmoney » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:35 am

It can’t decide whether it wants to be a Celine Dion album or a trashy ratchet album. :lol:
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:48 am

This is my husbands favourite album. He has signed by vinyl. I think it's underrated big time. Through the rain is beautiful.
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Roadie

Postby BlueScorpion » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:17 am

BehindBreakaway wrote:This is my husbands favourite album. He has signed by vinyl. I think it's underrated big time. Through the rain is beautiful.
I was thinking about this song today. It's truly beautiful in its melody, video, lyrics and vocal performance. I don't care it didn't have the recognition it deserved. I'll forever treasure it.
BlueScorpion
Manager

Postby BehindBreakaway » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:44 am

BlueScorpion wrote:
BehindBreakaway wrote:This is my husbands favourite album. He has signed by vinyl. I think it's underrated big time. Through the rain is beautiful.
I was thinking about this song today. It's truly beautiful in its melody, video, lyrics and vocal performance. I don't care it didn't have the recognition it deserved. I'll forever treasure it.
I actually completely agree. To me it's just so raw and the vocals are just stunning.
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Roadie

Postby Gravity » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:28 am

^^ I agree! Through The Rain is beautiful, much better than some of her more successful ballads.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Goldmoney » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:50 am

Goldmoney wrote:It can’t decide whether it wants to be a Celine Dion album or a trashy ratchet album. :lol:
She kinda perfected this formula with Emancipation.
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby TheRealest » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:46 am

I love Godbracelet
TheRealest
The Queen

Return to The Retro