Janet Jackson - The Velvet Rope

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

 

What are your favourite songs? (You can choose up to 5)

Velvet Rope
18
12%
You
14
9%
Got 'til It's Gone
21
14%
My Need
2
1%
Go Deep
14
9%
Free Xone
5
3%
Together Again
16
10%
Empty
8
5%
What About
12
8%
Every Time
11
7%
Tonight's The Night
4
3%
I Get Lonely
20
13%
Rope Burn
5
3%
Anything
2
1%
Special
2
1%
Can't Be Stopped
1
1%
 
Total votes : 155

Postby hellohello » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:59 pm

Velvet Rope 10/10 - One of the best songs ever. A sweeping epic masterpiece. Love the "Tubular Bells" sample and the violin from Vanessa Mae. Janet's voice is airy, light and uplifting.
You 8/10 - A song about self-examination. Love her vocals on this. She sounds like MJ.
Got 'Til It's Gone 10/10 - This is quite reflective on love. Love the J Dilla beat and the Joni Mitchell sample and the Q-Tip rap. It's so chilled and relaxing. Definitely one of my favs.
My Need 7/10 - Smooth, delicate and Janet recites poetry on this.
Go Deep 8/10 - Happy, playful and fun, fun, fun. Love the video too.
Free Xone 8/10 - The most experimental song on the album. Love the transition from piano to funk. Love the message too.
Together Again 10/10 - This is her signature song. I love the message and it's music video.
Empty 9/10 - Airy, experimental and futuristic. Love the electronic sound.
What About 9/10 - Along with "Black Cat", this is Janet's best rock song about domestic abuse. Love the transition from a Spanish guitar ballad into a R&B rock song.
Every Time 8/10 - Vulnerable, sweet, sensual and a delicate ballad about the fear of hurt from of an imminent romance. Reminds me of "Again". Love the music video.
Tonight's The Night 8/10 - A love song about a threesome? This is a stunning song cover.
I Get Lonely 9/10 - R&B soul at it's finest. Love the futuristic music video. Janet looked so sexy.
Rope Burn 7/10 - The only bearable sex song, she has ever done.
Anything 9/10 - Beautiful and sensual love slow jam
Special 7/10 - Uplifting closure to a stunning album
Can't Be Stopped 9/10 - Love the message
Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney
User avatar
hellohello
Manager
 
Posts: 4355
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005
Location: Love On the Brain

Postby intosoul » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:45 am

"Tonight's The Night" is not about a threesome. Janet just decided to keep the original "cause I love your girl" lyric in all the choruses but the last.
User avatar
intosoul
Superstar
 
Posts: 6126
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014
Location: Yoncé Land

Postby hellohello » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:58 pm

intosoul wrote:"Tonight's The Night" is not about a threesome. Janet just decided to keep the original "cause I love your girl" lyric in all the choruses but the last.
I thought it was about a threesome because she says "this is between me and you, and you" and then she goes on to say "cuz I love you boy" after saying "cuz I love you girl". I get it now. :oops: :lol:
Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney
User avatar
hellohello
Manager
 
Posts: 4355
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005
Location: Love On the Brain

Postby ThaInfo1 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:14 pm

intosoul wrote:"Tonight's The Night" is not about a threesome. Janet just decided to keep the original "cause I love your girl" lyric in all the choruses but the last.
I thought she was just singing from a man's perspective. Interesting.

"stay away...from my window..."
SEE.sza.RUN
User avatar
ThaInfo1
Legend
 
Posts: 20752
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006
Location: Out with your man's best friend.

Postby intosoul » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:26 pm

ThaInfo1 wrote:
intosoul wrote:"Tonight's The Night" is not about a threesome. Janet just decided to keep the original "cause I love your girl" lyric in all the choruses but the last.
I thought she was just singing from a man's perspective.
Well, she is in a way since the original artist is a man.
I guess she didn't change the lyric to show love to the LGQT fans.
User avatar
intosoul
Superstar
 
Posts: 6126
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014
Location: Yoncé Land

Postby hellohello » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:30 pm

When did she become a gay icon? With this album or "janet"?
Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney
User avatar
hellohello
Manager
 
Posts: 4355
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005
Location: Love On the Brain

Postby TIfan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:32 pm

This album. "Janet" made her a sttaight guys girl.
TIfan
Legend
 
Posts: 10167
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008

Postby hellohello » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:39 pm

LOL "Throb" sounds like a gay anthem tho.
Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney
User avatar
hellohello
Manager
 
Posts: 4355
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005
Location: Love On the Brain

Postby TIfan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:54 pm

Throb is my runway song.
TIfan
Legend
 
Posts: 10167
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008

Postby Bojan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:30 pm

"I Get Lonely" now has over 6 million plays on Spotify. In 1998, "I Get Lonely" became Jackson's eighteenth consecutive top ten hit on the Hot 100, setting a record as the only female artist to achieve that feat, surpassed only by Elvis Presley and The Beatles. It's been sold in over 900,000 copies in the USA in 1998.
User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 2115
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby intosoul » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:11 am

Bojan wrote:"I Get Lonely" now has over 6 million plays on Spotify. In 1998, "I Get Lonely" became Jackson's eighteenth consecutive top ten hit on the Hot 100, setting a record as the only female artist to achieve that feat, surpassed only by Elvis Presley and The Beatles. It's been sold in over 900,000 copies in the USA in 1998.
WOW!
So they are not counting Got 'Til It's Gone as a single?
User avatar
intosoul
Superstar
 
Posts: 6126
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014
Location: Yoncé Land

Postby Bojan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:19 am

intosoul wrote:
Bojan wrote:"I Get Lonely" now has over 6 million plays on Spotify. In 1998, "I Get Lonely" became Jackson's eighteenth consecutive top ten hit on the Hot 100, setting a record as the only female artist to achieve that feat, surpassed only by Elvis Presley and The Beatles. It's been sold in over 900,000 copies in the USA in 1998.
WOW!
So they are not counting Got 'Til It's Gone as a single?
No, cause it wasn't released commercially. The rules are different now.
User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 2115
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby intosoul » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:35 am

Bojan wrote:
intosoul wrote:
Bojan wrote:"I Get Lonely" now has over 6 million plays on Spotify. In 1998, "I Get Lonely" became Jackson's eighteenth consecutive top ten hit on the Hot 100, setting a record as the only female artist to achieve that feat, surpassed only by Elvis Presley and The Beatles. It's been sold in over 900,000 copies in the USA in 1998.
WOW!
So they are not counting Got 'Til It's Gone as a single?
No, cause it wasn't released commercially. The rules are different now.
Why wasn't it released commercially? To push album sales?
I wonder how high it would have charted on the Hot 100 ...
User avatar
intosoul
Superstar
 
Posts: 6126
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014
Location: Yoncé Land

Postby Bojan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:53 am

Jimmy said that American radio didn't want to play it as much as they expected. It was her first single after one of the best selling albums of the '90s. But i guess that both the song and the video were too strange, too artistic and too dark for America.

They were also testing Velvet Rope, but decided to release Every Time instead. I love Every Time but The Velvet Rope is maybe my favourite Janet song and we didn't get a video. I'll never forgive them that, especially cause Every Time didn't become a hit either. Except in few countries, like Philippines where it's one of her biggest hits.
User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 2115
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby intosoul » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:02 pm

Bojan wrote:Jimmy said that American radio didn't want to play it as much as they expected. It was her first single after one of the best selling albums of the '90s. But i guess that both the song and the video were too strange, too artistic and too dark for America.

This is quite shocking to me!
Was it Janet's "Formation" ?

I can see why they didn't play Velvet Rope. It's not a radio-friendly song IMO.
User avatar
intosoul
Superstar
 
Posts: 6126
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014
Location: Yoncé Land

Postby hellohello » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:12 pm

"Velvet Rope" as a single? I would of loved that. Imagine the video. It would of been epic. I also would of liked "What About" as a single too.
Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney
User avatar
hellohello
Manager
 
Posts: 4355
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005
Location: Love On the Brain

Postby Bojan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:22 pm

"What About" was initially planned for release as well. And radio edit of the title track received limited test airplay. I'd love to hear that edited version of Velvet Rope, but shortening that song is blasphemy.
User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 2115
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby Yoshie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:29 pm

I'd have loved a proper music video for You rather than the concert montage video that it got. Many of the songs on The Velvet Rope could have had a visual.

The performance of What About at the VH1 Fashion Awards is one of my favourites ever from Janet.

I read a perspective that Janet was singing about a trans person in her cover of Tonight's the Night, which I think is really interesting. Such an underrated cover.
Yoshie
Legend
 
Posts: 21425
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006

Postby hellohello » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:16 pm

^Well she has been supportive to the transgender community so it could be true.
Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney
User avatar
hellohello
Manager
 
Posts: 4355
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005
Location: Love On the Brain

Postby Bojan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:26 pm

Yoshie wrote:I read a perspective that Janet was singing about a trans person in her cover of Tonight's the Night, which I think is really interesting. Such an underrated cover.
Yes that's true. That's why she addressees that person as a girl all of the time, but at the and she addresses her as a boy. Very cool.
User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 2115
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby intosoul » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:38 pm

Bojan wrote:
Yoshie wrote:I read a perspective that Janet was singing about a trans person in her cover of Tonight's the Night, which I think is really interesting. Such an underrated cover.
Yes that's true. That's why she addressees that person as a girl all of the time, but at the and she addresses her as a boy. Very cool.
I can't see that being true at all.
User avatar
intosoul
Superstar
 
Posts: 6126
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014
Location: Yoncé Land

Postby Bojan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:53 pm

Why? :lol: Wasn't she producing that transgender documentary?
User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 2115
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby Yoshie » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:32 pm

This record is so stunning.
Yoshie
Legend
 
Posts: 21425
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006

Postby GetBack » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:52 am

There is nothing close to this album, she really went left field with the representation of music, though janet. is a better album overall, it was very commercial as compared to this, which was a real, concept album. What's great is that she didn't publicize it in the media, she just went all out with the album's direction/message and let it speak for itself. So many issues are talked about here (LGBT, HIV/AIDS, depression, black America) that were still very much taboo back then.
User avatar
GetBack
Legend
 
Posts: 27185
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010
Location: Philippines

Postby BlueScorpion » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:38 pm

Twisted elegance
It's my belief that we all have the need to feel special
And it's this need that can bring out the best in us
Yet the worst in us
This need created The Velvet Rope


She brought her A-game to this album! Janet's interludes absolutely smash most singles of today.
User avatar
BlueScorpion
Manager
 
Posts: 4779
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011
Location: Portugal - Porto

Return to The Retro