Madonna - Ray Of Light [album]

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby BillyBlitzkid » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:43 pm

So I recently decided to dig into Madonnas backcatalogue and got myself Erotica and Ray of light. Well and I must say that I am deeply impressed with Ray of light. This is just so different. I only knew COAD and HC from her and nearly didn't believe my ears when I first listened to this spiritual album. Of course I knew the singles off of it, but this album is a masterpiece and I can listen to it in one go without skipping a song.

I'm just so sad I didn't got to appreciate it in its time but I was just too young back then (around 11) and wouldn't have gotten into it anyway.

What are your opinions on Ray of light? What are your favourite tracks? Were the single choices the right ones? What do you think?
Many miles many roads I have traveled
Fallen down on the way
Many hearts many years have unraveled
Leading up to today
BillyBlitzkid
Manager

Postby Tiger » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:07 pm

Not a fan of Madge per se but a great album indeed. It surprised me just how well constructed it is honestly, and it's so very errr spiritual?
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby Bhaggers » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Ray of Light is her BEST album!
I'm sure Sambo(9) will agree with all of what I'm about to say about this gorgeous album after our extensive discussions about it on MSN. :lol:

It's such an atmospheric, eeiree album - its full of culture and its so rich in its texture, and its so calm onto the ears. It is really her career highlight for me. "Skin" has got to be the best song on there for me - it reminds me of rushing down a Moroccan/Indian street watching the hustle and bustle of life around you. Every song is so beautifully crafted and is perfect. I don't think she'll ever top this album. Ever.

I think that the singles should have gone:
01 Ray of Light
02 Frozen
03 Skin/Swim
04 Nothing Really Matters
05 The Power Of Goodbye
Last edited by Bhaggers on Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tell the others you've gone to sea...
Bhaggers
Superstar

Postby Tiger » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:18 pm

Not the way she's going surely! I mean seriously Hard Candy is not in the same league
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby Bhaggers » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:21 pm

Tell me about it.
The lyrics on this album are beautiful.
My physical copy has been played so much its such poor quality. I must get another one...
tell the others you've gone to sea...
Bhaggers
Superstar

Postby denise » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:22 pm

Spiritual, so intimistic, ROL is defenetly Madonna's best album, along with American Life!

It's a piece of pop-music culture!

Best tracks: Sky fits heaven, Skin, To have and Not to Hold!
There's only one Queen
and that's MADONNA.
denise
Legend

Postby BillyBlitzkid » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:32 pm

Tiger wrote:Not the way she's going surely! I mean seriously Hard Candy is not in the same league
Definitely not, I was so shocked yesterday when I realised that "Nothing really matters" and "Incredible" are performed by one and the same person. It's like heaven and hell.Hopefully she will return to a more "deeper" sound on her next album. I mean COAD was fun with its lyrics, but Hard Candy is just.. dull. Hope for some deepness coming our way
Many miles many roads I have traveled
Fallen down on the way
Many hearts many years have unraveled
Leading up to today
BillyBlitzkid
Manager

Postby TiagoRodrigues » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:38 pm

After she can get over her mid-life crisis we might get something like this again, we'll see :lol:
TiagoRodrigues
Legend

Postby steophonic » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:55 pm

By far my favourite Madonna album. Every song is excellent.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby irishguy28 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:00 pm

...with the possible exceptions of "Candy Perfume Girl" and "Mer Girl", and the definite exception of "Shanti/Ashtangi".

Quite why the epic Patrick Leonard/William Orbit production "Has To Be" was cut from the album (only appearing on the Japanese editions) in place of any of the 3 above-mentioned tracks, I will never know.
irishguy28

Postby jszmiles » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:04 pm

it was the only Madonna's album I had on cassette.

Brilliant, epic album with one of my fav Madonna's track included: Nothing Really Matters...
jszmiles
Legend

Postby Baditude » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:52 am

Brilliant is the fitting word for this album. This, American Life, and COADF are sister albums but this is in a league of its own!
I'm gonna do you like drugs tonight...
Baditude
Superstar

Postby Vanacoring » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:12 am

steophonic wrote:By far my favourite Madonna album. Every song is excellent.
Same thing for me. This album was one of the most important comeback of the music history. The first single "Frozen" was enormous and the video again more. And the title song is absolutely brilliant ! 8-)
Vanacoring
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:17 am

IMO, this is Madonna's best album. I love everything about it. The album is poppy, but with an edge, and the videos of this era also were really, really good. What I love the moest about th songs on the album are the lyrics. Madonna's so spiritual on this album. She showed much more depth then, than she shows nowadays IMO.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby sambo9 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:55 am

My favourite album of all time, alongside Mariah Carey's "Butterfly".

For me, no one other album I've ever listened is even close to being as atmospheric as this. It's creative, it's dark, it's just truly immense.

I'd honestly give each track a 10/10.
sambo9
Legend

Postby Vanacoring » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:03 am

sambo9 wrote:
For me, no one other album I've ever listened is even close to being as atmospheric as this. It's creative, it's dark, it's just truly immense.
I hope Madonna will look this thread : all the comments are amazing ! :wink: And this album reflects really too the enormous talent of William Orbit ! 8-)
Vanacoring
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:08 am

^^ Agreed with the brilliance of William Orbit.
The music the recorded with Madonna and All Saints (and even that one track with the Sugababes) are among the best songs of their careers IMO.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby sambo9 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:10 am

Yes, William is an absolute legend. The production on the album has yet to beaten by anyone else. It was a shame his work on "Music" wasn't as good. He began recycling beats and just generally ran out of ideas.
sambo9
Legend

Postby Vanacoring » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:11 am

BanZai wrote:Agreed with the brilliance of William Orbit.
I believe he had worked too at the "Music" album in 2000, but it's really sad to see the collaboration between him and Madonna is not present on her next albums... :(
Vanacoring
Legend

Postby skapunk » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:08 pm

I am not a huge Madonna fan..but this was the album which made me love her for a year or so. THen i loved her again with COnfessions on a dancefloor.

Just loved the way she experimented with sounds and went up-beat. Awesome album. Extremely worth the success.
skapunk
Superstar

Postby Vanacoring » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:15 pm

skapunk wrote:
Just loved the way she experimented with sounds and went up-beat.
Yes, totally agree with you : it was not only a mega comeback (4.3 million US and 14 million worldwide) after the two disappointing albums in 1992 and 1994 but too a real change in her career.
Vanacoring
Legend

Postby skapunk » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:17 pm

Vanacoring wrote:
skapunk wrote:
Just loved the way she experimented with sounds and went up-beat.
Yes, totally agree with you : it was not only a mega comeback (4.3 million US and 14 million worldwide) after the two disappointing albums in 1992 and 1994 but too a real change in her career.
Yup, and that change was so good, that she carried it forward to Music and COADF. And it really worked wonder for her, both selling well. She really adapts well with generations, otherwise no one can have such a long career.
skapunk
Superstar

Postby Vanacoring » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:20 pm

I want to say this album had sold near of 1 million copies in France ! :o I am very proud of that ! :D
Vanacoring
Legend

Postby Vanacoring » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:22 pm

skapunk wrote:She really adapts well with generations, otherwise no one can have such a long career.
Yes. It's all the difference between her and Michael Jackson. The King Of Pop is not a chameleon like her and we can to see the result today... :cry:
Vanacoring
Legend

Postby Colin » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:58 pm

Amazing album. I got into this album playing it last summer and reliving the era once again.

I'll never forget the magic when I first saw 'Ray Of Light' on the telly and went out to order the single but it never came so my sister ended up getting the album and I *borrowed* it. :lol:

Also, random but 'Frozen' came up as a study for Music in the Leaving Cert in Ireland, much to my shock at the time. Definitely a masterpiece of a song and so in-depth musically.
LONG LIVE GIRLS ALOUD
Colin
In The Zone

Return to The Retro