Samantha Mumba - Gotta Tell You

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby RockTheBoat » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:16 pm

Hard to believe this single was released 10 years ago :o

A classic song, probably my favourite from Sam, and was a huge success. The video was great too, filmed in Spain and involved her performing stunts and jumping off buildings. Where she jumps out of the apartments onto the ground during the first chorus - I've actually stayed in those apartments many years ago :lol: Claim to fame or what?

It's ashame she released that god awful Mickey Modelle version a couple of years ago - doesn't come close to the original IMO.
Last edited by RockTheBoat on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.
RockTheBoat
Manager

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:28 pm

Loved it! Still one of my favourites, 10 years later. :D
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby JimJim » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:35 am

This is one of my favourite songs of the noughties, I can't explain why, but I love it and pretty much always have.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Benjamin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:35 pm

Her best by far! Super catchy pop classic.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Thriller » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:38 pm

I never knew until recently it did so well in the US! Not surprised though, its sound totally sums up that era of great pop music.
Thriller

Postby Nava22 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:44 pm

I stumbled across this the other day on an old 'Pure R&B' CD (event tho it's clearly Pop). Can't believe it was 10 years ago. I remember it being on the radio every 5 minutes just like it were yesterday!

I preferred Body II Body tho...
"Free me, FreE.M.I!" - sing it Joss!!
Nava22
Manager

Postby irishguy28 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:21 pm

The Sleazesisters remix of this was great. But her best effort to date were the DJ Disciple remixes of "Always Come Back To Your Love".

Sticking to radio edits - Body II Body was better.
irishguy28

Postby crazycool » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:15 pm

BanZai wrote:Her best by far! Super catchy pop classic.
crazycool
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:53 am

My favourite song by her. I LOVED this song. I have it on CD. :D
biscuits
The Diva

Postby JimJim » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:08 am

This just came on with my music archives on shuffle and I just had to come back once more and rant about how much I love this song - it's like the perfect pop song! :oops:

I can see why she was 'voted black Britney' :lol: :lol:
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby 1990sFan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:17 pm

I love Samantha Mumba (I think I am one of her biggest fans) Gotta Tell You was one of my anthems when I was like 4/5 years old. She should come back!
Na, Na What's My Name?
Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Come On

Who is Na Na? :P
1990sFan
Groupie

Postby Charmbracelet » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:25 pm

Still love this song, and it reminds me of my childhood. I can't decide whether I like this or Baby Come On Over best.

I wonder what would have happened if she had chosen to record Sound Of The Underground instead of Gotta Tell You? Do you think she would still be in the charts today?

Also, she recorded a song called "Personalities" for a comeback album which was never released, and it sounded AMAZING. I am bitter it never leaked.
Charmbracelet
Superstar

Postby 1990sFan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:26 pm

Charmbracelet wrote:Still love this song, and it reminds me of my childhood. I can't decide whether I like this or Baby Come On Over best.

I wonder what would have happened if she had chosen to record Sound Of The Underground instead of Gotta Tell You? Do you think she would still be in the charts today?

Also, she recorded a song called "Personalities" for a comeback album which was never released, and it sounded AMAZING. I am bitter it never leaked.
I wanted to hear Personalities in full too.

Always Come Back To Your Love is my fave song....EVER!!

Also, she had the choice between recording "I'm Right Here" and "Sound Of The Underground" and if she chose the latter then I think that it could have been her first UK No.1
Na, Na What's My Name?

1990sFan
Groupie

Postby Shorty » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:37 am

It's amazing how successful Sam actually was with her first album, even "Lately" the fifth single, got to #6!

"Gotta Tell You" is a pop classic 8-)

Who else has heard the unreleased second album Woman? It's brilliant, I love every single song. My favourites are Can You Deliver?, Relationships, Shuttin You Down (which was rumoured to be a single), Read My Mind and Branded With A Kiss.

Personalities? I wonder if this song made the unreleased album under a different title? People have heard a clip of it? How does it go?
I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby 1990sFan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:09 pm

Shorty wrote:It's amazing how successful Sam actually was with her first album, even "Lately" the fifth single, got to #6!

Who else has heard the unreleased second album Woman? It's brilliant, I love every single song. My favourites are Can You Deliver?, Relationships, Shuttin You Down (which was rumoured to be a single), Read My Mind and Branded With A Kiss.

Personalities? I wonder if this song made the unreleased album under a different title? People have heard a clip of it? How does it go?
Where can you get the songs from Woman?

Oh and Personalities goes like;
"I got multiple personalities inside of me, let my other personality come out and say...'she's a freak and if she likes it she'll try anything' It takes a real man to see that part of me"
Na, Na What's My Name?

1990sFan
Groupie

Postby Shorty » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:36 pm

1990sFan wrote:
Shorty wrote:It's amazing how successful Sam actually was with her first album, even "Lately" the fifth single, got to #6!

Where can you get the songs from Woman?

Oh and Personalities goes like;
"I got multiple personalities inside of me, let my other personality come out and say...'she's a freak and if she likes it she'll try anything' It takes a real man to see that part of me"
Unfortunately I downloaded the songs from Woman years and years ago, we're talking in 2005. So I have no idea whether you'd be able to find them now.

It's a shame the album never came out as it's very good, and I actually prefer it to her debut :lol:
I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby Star » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:41 pm

I think it was a new track on the re-release of the album.
Star
Sensational

Postby 1990sFan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:17 pm

Star wrote:
I think it was a new track on the re-release of the album.
Lately was on the original album. The only new tracks on the re-release were "Baby Come On Over (New Version)", "Don't Need You To (Tell Me I'm Pretty), "The Boy (Ft. Omero Mumba) and "Always Come Back To Your Love (Without Rap)."
Na, Na What's My Name?

1990sFan
Groupie

Postby RockTheBoat » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:36 am

Omero Mumba :lol: Oh dear, I remember his rap on 'The Boy', very cringe worthy!

I wasn't that impressed with the 'Woman' album, haven't heard it for years now, but I seem to remember it being very generic watered down Americanised R&B.
Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.
RockTheBoat
Manager

Postby GetBack » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:33 pm

I remember seeing this in the Hot 100 Top 10! I wonder why she stopped releasing albums! :-?
Carey like Mariah.
GetBack
Legend

Postby sparkle80 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:16 am

I never cared for the original version of Gotta tell me (I prefer the Teddy riley remix). But I really immediately liked the distinctive tone of her voice. But I did like the video though.

As far as the album, I got the Amercian Version for Christmas, bought uk version and the re-released american version. Very good pop music with some R&B influences.

I really wish she could had got a chance to release more albums. Too bad the "I'm right here" single didnt take off or she would had atleast got to release a second one officially.

I think she is focusing on acting more because she hasnt got a record deal. But I really hope she releases more music one day.
sparkle80
Manager

Postby Brazilian » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:12 am

Amazing song ! I used to listen to it on european channels on TV. It was totally ignored by brazilian radios unfortunately.
Brazilian
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:14 am

Very nostalgic song! 8-) 8-)
Carey like Mariah.
GetBack
Legend

Postby johnny_d » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:31 pm

I was such a huge fan of Samantha. I loved her!! I had her album and all the singles and then even bought the re-release!

The version of The Boy with will.i.am was way better than with Omero. Never Meant To Be and Don't Need You To (Tell Me I'm Pretty) were beautiful.

The singles were great but Always Come Back... was my ultimate fave!

Woman sucked though but Branded With A Kiss was great.

She was great. It's a pity she never got her groove back!
Remember us in AmenJena...

...If we could just go back to the start
johnny_d
Manager

Postby RockTheBoat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:11 pm

johnny_d wrote:The version of The Boy with will.i.am was way better than with Omero.
Never knew she did it with will.i.am :o
RockTheBoat
Manager

Return to The Retro