Madonna - Bedtime Story

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby TiagoRodrigues » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Bedtime Story was the 3rd single from Madonna's 6th studio album "Bedtime Stories"...a great song, completly different from the rest of the album (a GREAT album...and terribly underrated IMO!).

The song is one of the best Madonna songs ever for me, it was written by Bjork and the video is also one of my favourites!

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSaFgAwnRSc&ob=av2e

Discuss! Anyone else loves this too?

If you've never heard this...i advice you to see the video and you might appreciate both the song and the video! It still sounds fresh in 2011 IMO :D [/url]
"Your actions speak louder than promises/You're inclined to make and inclined to break"
TiagoRodrigues
Legend

Postby TiagoRodrigues » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:23 am

God my topics on this retro section are always huge flops for some reason! LOOOL

I write so enthusiastically and no one cares! xD hahaha
"Your actions speak louder than promises/You're inclined to make and inclined to break"
TiagoRodrigues
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:23 pm

One of her weaker singles IMO, but coupled with one of her best videos. I think the direction of song, video and 10 foot extensions for the Brits confused a lot of people, and I'm not impressed she's never played the Brits since!

However, the UK CD single book package is brilliant, but in the US, after the success of TAB this was a strange follow up. Personally I think th album has stronger songs, and that the album as a whow was her first real work of art musically speaking.
menime123
Legend

Postby TheBiatches » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:43 pm

It might be a weird single choice, but I love both the song and the video. I'm kind of hoping she'll go back to more interesting music/videos with this next album!
TheBiatches
Manager

Postby grooveboy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:51 am

I love the song and the video but I have to agree it wasn't the best choice for the single as it's not very radio-friendly. It would be great if she did live performance of "Bedtime Story" on one of her next tours 8-)
grooveboy
Superstar

Postby thebigham » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:11 pm

My fave Madonna video!!

A standout track from Bedtime Story.
thebigham
Legend

Postby TiagoRodrigues » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:07 am

thebigham wrote:My fave Madonna video!!

A standout track from Bedtime Story.
Finally some love for this song here! :lol:
TiagoRodrigues
Legend

Postby Blondini » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:43 pm

Brilliant Bjork/ Nellee Hooper track. Shame they went with a bland remix to promote it here. But that nutty video warped some young minds! :lol:
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby jio » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:50 pm

L.U.V. it (although why she released it is beyond me). Absolutely great song and video. And probably a preview of what was about to come with her next album ("Ray Of Light")

TRIVIA: This was the first Madonna single after 33 consecutive singles spanning a period of 12 years which failed to crack the Billboard Top 40. Strangely, it was the follow-up to her biggest Billboard hit ever (Take A Bow). Even more weirdly, "Bedtime Story" was the highest peaking UK single from the "Bedtime Stories" album (#4 although it dropped like a rock), bringing her back in the Top 10 after "Take A Bow" stopped a series of 35 consecutive UK Top 10 hits spanning a period of 11 years :o
jio
Legend

Postby denise » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:55 pm

The song is perfection!
And she made the best thing releasing as single: who cares if was not a success!!

And the video is just brilliant,insane.
There's only one Queen
and that's MADONNA.
denise
Legend

Postby TiagoRodrigues » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:21 pm

denise wrote:The song is perfection!
And she made the best thing releasing as single: who cares if was not a success!!

And the video is just brilliant,insane.
Exactly what i think 8-)
TiagoRodrigues
Legend

Postby jszmiles » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:40 am

this is how Madonna should sound like!!
jszmiles
Legend

Postby Titan3510 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:03 pm

Ummm...

After the success of Secret and Take A Bow, I think this was a baaaaaaaad choice for a single.

But the video...

That's one of the trippiest videos I have ever seen in my entire life. Like...my mind can't even...I mean like whoa...

Still...they should've went for Forbidden Love, Love Tried To Welcome Me, I'd Rather Be Your Lover or Sanctuary.

I love this entire album though.

I was pulling an all-nighter last night so I could study for a test and I was spinning this album like crazy.
I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
--Katy Perry
Titan3510
Superstar

Postby NothingFails » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:07 pm

I like that she had the balls to release it as a single since it was a very gutsy move to follow a song as massive as Take A Bow was in the US with this, but in hindsight, she probably should've released Human Nature right after Take A Bow and then Bedtime Story as the final single. HN didn't do better in the US because I think Bedtime Story killed the album to radio. Had she dropped HN in March 95, I think she could've notched herself another top 10 hit, and then release BS in June or so.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Titan3510 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:08 pm

No. Even though Bedtime Story killed the album on US radio but Human Nature didn't do good in the US primarily because of it's content.

She had just vindicated herself with Secret and especially Take A Bow.

No one wanted to really hear what Madonna had to say about her Erotica/Sex eras...at least...not yet.

If anything, Human Nature should've been the last single.

But to be honest, I think the biggest flaw in Bedtime Stories was that there was no uptempo.

I mean, if she wanted to stay within the contemporary R&B spectrum she should've had something like Bobby Brown's Humpin' Around, Janet Jackson's If, or Mariah Carey's I've Been Thinking About You...

That way she could've secured herself another hit easily...before being "ballsy" and releasing something as foreign as Bedtime Story.

In America, the only time that Bedtime Story could've been a hit was in 2010. Maybe 2011.
I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
--Katy Perry
Titan3510
Superstar

Postby NothingFails » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:22 pm

Human Nature actually got heavy MTV airplay, much more than Bedtime Story, which got a lot of play for about two weeks did. I think BS left a bad taste in radio programmers' mouths and that kept the song from charting higher. The video was very popular and played for most of the summer of 1995, and even though it peaked at #46, HN did spend more time on the chart as a whole than BS did.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Titan3510 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:20 am

Still...that's MTV.

That's like judging the radio/chart hit potential of a song based off of Youtube view counts.
--Katy Perry
Titan3510
Superstar

Postby Mikerocha » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:27 am

But it's true. Even tho Human Nature peaked at #46, it peaked higher in the Singles Hot 100 sales and it spend over 10 weeks in the chart. It did stay for a while.
“B**** come here! B**** come here! B**** come here!”

“I’m staying right here.”
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby Titan3510 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:52 am

But if it was THAT good, why did it peak outside of the Top 40?

If it was THAT big, why did it peak outside of the Top 40?

Sales alone can get you into the Top 20. If the single is absolutely massive, sales can get you into the Top 10.

If it was that good, it shouldn't of mattered if it came after Bedtime Story...

She just needed something that was stronger and faster on the album.

Maybe then, people would've perked up and gotten the album.

I guarantee you this...her fanbase would've grown if Bedtime Stories had been pushed properly.

She probably wouldn't even be in position she is now when it comes getting widespread success and respect in her own homeland.
--Katy Perry
Titan3510
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:24 pm

My favourite Madonna song.
My favourite Madonna video.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby summer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:55 pm

jio wrote:Absolutely great song and video. And probably a preview of what was about to come with her next album ("Ray Of Light")
It indeed foreshadowed her move towards electronic music.

I adore the video's surrealistic imagery (Frida Kahlo?). It looks expensive and probably is the most artistic music video Madonna ever had.
summer
Superstar

Postby AndiIversen » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:19 am

I think it didn't do well because when BS debuted on BB's Hot 100, TAB was still doing great and BS got repeatedly pushed back because of TAB's success(BS's debut on hot100 singles #74, hot100 airplay: #68 and top40 mainstream:#38; while at the same time TAB was #6 on the hot100, #2 on hot100 airplay, #15 on singles sales, #7 on top 40 mainstream, #15 on Rhythm/C.O. and #2 on adult compempo. It was also charting on hotR&B singles and on R&B singles sales)
The next week, when BS got its peak, both hot100 airplay and top40 airplay didn't make it to the charts, so that meant radio only wanted to play one Madonna song and that was still TAB. That week it only charted just one week on top40 Rhytm/C.O. and then disappeared too. BS's peak was mainly because of sales.

I loved the single and i remember that a friend invited me to go over to a Madonna video premiere on his dorm with his girlfriend and his friends and we saw all her MTV special pajama party and then the music video on a huge screen and it was very cool and sort of an event.
I wasn't a fan of TAB and liked BS and what do you know TAB became her biggest hit and BS, well, not!.

:D
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby Lemo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:55 pm

biscuits wrote:My favourite Madonna song.
My favourite Madonna video.
+1
"you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"
Lemo
Superstar

Postby HolidayGuy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:57 pm

At the time, it was disappointing (but understandable) that it broke her streak of top 40 hits. But I got over it. :) I'm glad she released it and did the video she did.
The most celebrated and important female artist of the last half-century-plus-who else but the one and only Madonna.
HolidayGuy
Manager

Postby swiftie13 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:18 am

This song and video are art. Pure art.
God Bless You... Akipaul> My Week Chart Potterhead.
swiftie13
Legend

Return to The Retro