Madonna - American Life

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Xevi » Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:40 am

What does everybody think of her new album? Personally, I think that, even though it may not be her best album, it's still an amazing, emotional and very beautiful album. My favourite tracks are "American Life", "Hollywood", "Nothing Fails", "Intervention" and "Mother and Father", but the rest are pretty good too!
Xevi
Manager

Postby Terence » Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:39 am

From what I've heard, it rocks!

I saw her performing some of the tracks on MTV on Madonna Weekend yesterday and I was impressed!

"Nothing Fails", "Hollywood" and "X-Static Process" are really good tracks!

Aaaahhh.... can't wait to get it! :x
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Liberty » Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:16 am

I heard rumours that the album is full of techno-techy tracks...I don't really like listening to electronic duck quacking.

Is it true, then?
~ Whãt Plánèt Ârë Yõù Fröm? Âccúse Mè Ôf Thïngs Thãt Í Névèr Döne ~
Liberty
Superstar

Postby mickey » Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:45 pm

guys there's already a topic for the LP here
~ You can never out train a poor diet! ~
mickey
Manager

Postby Xevi » Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:50 pm

Liberty wrote:I heard rumours that the album is full of techno-techy tracks...I don't really like listening to electronic duck quacking.

Is it true, then?
No, it isn't. This is quite an acoustic and uplifting album, with equally pop-rock numbers and some dance tunes.
Xevi
Manager

Postby Muzikritik » Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:28 pm

I've only just heard the single and I dunno what the fuss is all about, to be honest.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Mattstar » Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:49 am

OK, first of all the album will be massive in the first few weeks because after all, it is a new album from Madonna. But I don't think it will live up to the success of her previous albums "Music" and "Ray of Light". She hasn't earned much praise at all from music critics with this album. I remember reading a review last week that said "A 40-something mother of two should definitely avoid rapping", and I have to agree, although it does make the single interesting. They also said she should re-think her career direction.
Mattstar
Manager

Postby Hype » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:30 pm

Im downloadint it now i havent listened to any of it, cos im only half way through downloading the first track, american life, which i dont like anyway, but i wanna be openminded and give it a chance because Music was a good album
CALL ME CALICE, CALL ME COLD. YOU'RE ITALIC, I'M IN BOLD.
Hype
Legend

Postby San » Thu May 01, 2003 4:22 am

I bought and it is OK, :roll:

OK, no it is crap I only like American Life and Die Another Day. :evil: I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!:cry:
San
Manager

Postby alxx » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:14 pm

Just thought I'd bring this topic up because I've been listening to this album again. I absolutely adore it.
alxx
Legend

Postby j2o » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:21 pm

Yeah, a brilliant album. It's definitly one of the best from her whole career. Such a distinctive and unique sound. Nothing Fails, Love Profusion, Die Another Day, Nobody Knows Me to name a few - all brilliant! I don't knowif anyone has seen the performance of Nobody Knows Me on the I'm going to tell you a secret DVD, but it's incredible and worth a watch!
j2o
Roadie

Postby pussycatdollns » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:23 pm

j2o wrote:Yeah, a brilliant album. It's definitly one of the best from her whole career. Such a distinctive and unique sound. Nothing Fails, Love Profusion, Die Another Day, Nobody Knows Me to name a few - all brilliant! I don't knowif anyone has seen the performance of Nobody Knows Me on the I'm going to tell you a secret DVD, but it's incredible and worth a watch!
This is her most personal and honest album, and my favorite. I love Nothing Fails, X-Static Process, Mother and Father, Nobody Knows Me, Love Profusion, Intervention, and Easy Ride.

I adore this album as well. It got me through some tough times.
Pop music = life
pussycatdollns
Manager

Postby Thriller » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:36 pm

How the hell did a Madonna album get so few replies? Did UKMIX have 4 members at that time or something?! :o
Thriller

Postby SholasBoy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:39 pm

Thriller wrote:How the hell did a Madonna album get so few replies? Did UKMIX have 4 members at that time or something?! :o
:lol: :lol: I know it's funny looking back at the old days and seeing how different things were, just a handful of replies, no fighting over who began the topic etc as this topic appears to have been created after the album release, not 18 months before with 100 pages :lol:
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Wayne » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:41 pm

SholasBoy wrote:
Thriller wrote:How the hell did a Madonna album get so few replies? Did UKMIX have 4 members at that time or something?! :o
:lol: :lol: I know it's funny looking back at the old days and seeing how different things were, just a handful of replies, no fighting over who began the topic etc as this topic appears to have been created after the album release, not 18 months before with 100 pages :lol:
LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Thriller » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:41 pm

LOL, these days I'd not be surprised to see a "Madonna Album 2020 (Just In Case It Happens Cos I Want To Start The Topic So Desperately)"
Thriller

Postby volver » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:51 am

04wayne wrote:
SholasBoy wrote:
LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:

I liked this album but I can definetly see why it flopped.

Favortie tracks:

Die Another Day, Intervention, I'm So Stupid, and Nobody Knows Me.
volver
Legend

Postby jszmiles » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:09 am

SholasBoy wrote:
Thriller wrote:LOL, these days I'd not be surprised to see a "Madonna Album 2020 (Just In Case It Happens Cos I Want To Start The Topic So Desperately)"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
jszmiles
Legend

Postby Yoshie » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:40 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This album is brilliant. Love listening to it every now and then. I tend to like the acoustic-driven tracks the most.
Yoshie
Legend

Postby tada » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:16 pm

Yoshie wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This album is brilliant. Love listening to it every now and then. I tend to like the acoustic-driven tracks the most.
"Nothing Fails" and "X-Static process" belong to her best songs basically, personally i prefer its style more dancing on "COAD", one of her best effort :P
tada
Legend

Postby innocenteyes » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:36 pm

Yoshie wrote:This album is brilliant. Love listening to it every now and then.
Agreed, the best album she's ever done, so much better than the piece of drivel COADF was. Bar Another Day, I like all the songs on it and more particularly I'm So Stupid & Intervention.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby Chun » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:29 pm

I looove this album. Don't like her new stuff.
Chun
Legend

Postby denise » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:37 pm

My favourites from this album

Love profusion
X-tatic Process
Mother and Father
Easy Ride
There's only one Queen
and that's MADONNA.
denise
Legend

Postby Jark » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:22 am

Love this album. Other than Easy Ride and I'm So Stupid, every song is gold. It takes a certain frame of mind to listen to the whole thing; I have to be in the mood for acoustic-y, meaningful music. Same with Confessions, only there I have to be in the mood for dark dance-pop.

I do think they should've left Love Profusion as an album track, it's definitely on the weaker side; having Nothing Fails as the a-side would've been better. Otherwise the singles were perfect! Hollywood is my favourite Madonna song.
Jark
Superstar

Postby Maripol » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:04 pm

This is Madonna at her best IMO, the final album of her trilogy of European-influenced thoughtful albums, before two albums of upfront party music.

It's clear, I think, she spent a lot of time crafting this release - compare it to Hard Candy, which sounds like Timbaland, JT and Pharrell did most of the work and she recorded her contributions in maybe two short sessions.

I think she needs to return to something brutally honest next time out - hopefully she'll start working on something new in the Spring.
Mummy, mummy, it's the Gods!
Maripol
Manager

Return to The Retro