Madonna - American Life

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Yoshie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:32 pm

I would've liked music videos for both Nothing Fails and Nobody Knows Me, and a more strongly executed one for Love Profusion; the concept of the video is fantastic, but the finalised result isn't as great as it should have been.

I echo minime's claim about the remixes this era. They're among my favourite of Madonna's career. I love the maxi singles and the reworkings give me so much life.
Yoshie
Legend

Postby RayRay » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:13 pm

I always used to love the remixes and look forward to the 12" maxi-singles... but after Secret (which had some great remixes) it went down hill for me. Only a few remixes (Don't Cry For Me Argentina, Frozen) have been played by me since then. Although I did buy every single that was released I've never liked them as much as I loved the 80's remixes.
RayRay
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:56 pm

Yoshie wrote:I would've liked music videos for both Nothing Fails and Nobody Knows Me, and a more strongly executed one for Love Profusion; the concept of the video is fantastic, but the finalised result isn't as great as it should have been.

I echo minime's claim about the remixes this era. They're among my favourite of Madonna's career. I love the maxi singles and the reworkings give me so much life.
Well LP was only ever a single and video made because Warner had licenced it for use in a perfume advert - the video is basically the same as the advert. That bloody dress was horrid :lol:

Nothing Fails could have been a hit imo and was the track that got all the pre-release buzz. A number of early reviewers called it the new LAP.

Nobody Knows Me did get a video of sorts - a remix with a montage video from Madonna being born right up to 2003. It started out as a fan video I believe but then was commissioned for official release.

The best NKM remix is the tour mix though.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby BlueScorpion » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:30 am

It's hard to discuss what could be a single or not as to me this album has little commercial appeal.
BlueScorpion
Manager

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:00 am

BlueScorpion wrote:It's hard to discuss what could be a single or not as to me this album has little commercial appeal.
The selected singles were the most coherent choices. They picked the right singles IMO.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby LotsOfLove » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:30 am

This is definitely one of her best albums :D
I love the honesty and minimalism in this album.

Concerning the singles. Hmm difficult question. It’s indeed not the most commercial album she’s done but I would choose these ones :
1. Hollywood
2. Nothing Fails
3. Die Another Day
4. Easy Ride

Nothing Fails could’ve been the successful song of the era. A pity they never went with that one.

No matter how much I love this album, I’m so Stupd & NKM remain some of her most horrible songs ever. These two really destroy the flow of the album for me.
LotsOfLove
Manager

Postby grooveboy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:42 pm

<3 <3
grooveboy
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:51 pm

This record is bloated and incoherent at the core. I wish Madonna continued to evolve artistically rather than opting for simplistic sound.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JJeffs » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:06 pm

LotsOfLove wrote:This is definitely one of her best albums :D
I love the honesty and minimalism in this album.

Concerning the singles. Hmm difficult question. It’s indeed not the most commercial album she’s done but I would choose these ones :
1. Hollywood
2. Nothing Fails
3. Die Another Day
4. Easy Ride

Nothing Fails could’ve been the successful song of the era. A pity they never went with that one.

No matter how much I love this album, I’m so Stupd & NKM remain some of her most horrible songs ever. These two really destroy the flow of the album for me.
I'm with you on pretty much all of this. I may rank the songs differently, with Hollywood and Easy Ride as my two favorites, but I love Nothing Fails as well. And I agree about ISS and NKM being the weakest on the album, although I don't think they are terrible. "Stupider than stupid" is a lyric I can do without, but I like the production on that song.
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby Yoshie » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:35 pm

The arrangement of the tracklist is perfect and I wouldn't change anything.

heppolo wrote:This record is bloated and incoherent at the core. I wish Madonna continued to evolve artistically rather than opting for simplistic sound.
No.
Yoshie
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:39 pm

I love "Easy ride" but IMO it wasn't single / chart / radio material.

"American life", "Hollywood", "Love profusion" were IMO the most instant single-potential songs, thats why I think they picked the singles right.

And the song with the most commercial potential on the entire album overall was "Die another day" which was previously released and unsurprisingly smashed charts.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby RayRay » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:42 pm

I agree with MrLeonix that they chose the right singles.

However, they I think they would have been more succesful in this order:

Die Another Day
American Life
Nothing Fails (with a brilliant video and promo)
Hollywood
Love Profusion
RayRay
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:19 pm

No.
I wish she continued experimenting with Bjork, thus disappearing into relative obscurity, At least then ''Bitch I'm Madonna'' would have never happened
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Yoshie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:09 pm

heppolo wrote:I wish she continued experimenting with Bjork, thus disappearing into relative obscurity, At least then ''Bitch I'm Madonna'' would have never happened
Bitch I'm Madonna is not part of the American Life album?
Yoshie
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:28 pm

^ I don't get his comments either, I think Madonna kept experimenting up until this album, it has this acoustic - folktronica sound that was really unique, cool and had this very Madonna / Mirwais touch. The album is pretty interesting and satisfying.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:29 pm

I’d argue COADF was Madonna experimenting too. It’s easy to forget what the pop scene looked like in 2005 - and it was bleak. Stuart was all but an unknown producer at the time, but she saw something, which was Madonna experimenting in itself. Madonna was clearly onto something because Stuart Price went on to produce for Kylie, Take That and Robbie Williams.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby Yoshie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:32 pm

MrLeonix wrote:^ I don't get his comments either, I think Madonna kept experimenting up until this album, it has this acoustic - folktronica sound that was really unique, cool and had this very Madonna / Mirwais touch. The album is pretty interesting and satisfying.
I agree. Blending the worlds of acoustic and electronic music certainly wasn't the norm when Madonna released American Life. For me, although Confessions on a Dance Floor demonstrated a lot of creativity and inspiration, American Life is the last truly experimental album Madonna recorded.
Yoshie
Legend

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:35 pm

This album is the definition of a perfect album. I don’t think I could ever express just how much I actually love this record. I find it a little odd how little has leaked from this era too - although we do have The Game, Set The Right and It’s So Cool... which perhaps are the best indicators we don’t need anything to leak. Still, I’d have liked a b-side from this era.

I love her vocals here. I really love it when she uses her lower singing register - more often than not she doesn’t warm up her voice for her studio vocals, which results in a higher singing register (Candyshop for example). Which I find odd because she clearly warms up her voice on tour and sings the songs in a lower register anyway.

Madonna has a seriously under appreciated voice anyway.
menime123
Superstar

Postby Yoshie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:51 pm

menime123 wrote:I love her vocals here. I really love it when she uses her lower singing register - more often than not she doesn’t warm up her voice for her studio vocals, which results in a higher singing register (Candyshop for example). Which I find odd because she clearly warms up her voice on tour and sings the songs in a lower register anyway.

Madonna has a seriously under appreciated voice anyway.
!!!!!!

She has a stunning low register, and this album displays her vocal talents beautifully.
Yoshie
Legend

Postby BlueScorpion » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:26 pm

menime123 wrote:I’d argue COADF was Madonna experimenting too. It’s easy to forget what the pop scene looked like in 2005 - and it was bleak. Stuart was all but an unknown producer at the time, but she saw something, which was Madonna experimenting in itself. Madonna was clearly onto something because Stuart Price went on to produce for Kylie, Take That and Robbie Williams.
2005 was a beautiful year in music. But regarding the current discussion I'd say Madonna was brave enough to go against the odds. R&B and Urban music was dominating all charts worldwide and she released a dance album that later set trends and paved the way for dance music.
BlueScorpion
Manager

Postby spiritboy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:01 pm

Intervention is the best song on this album :(
spiritboy
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:07 pm

spiritboy wrote:Intervention is the best song on this album :(
If I had to pick, I’d say it’s my least favourite :oops:
menime123
Superstar

Postby spiritboy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:09 pm

menime123 wrote:
I would've guessed so :lol:
spiritboy
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:13 pm

spiritboy wrote:
menime123 wrote:
I would've guessed so :lol:
Lemme do a ranking:

1. American Life
2. Nothing Fails
3. Easy Ride
4. X-Static Process
5. Die Another Day
6. Nobody Knows Me
7. Hollywood
8. Love Profusion
9. Mother & Father
10. I’m So Stupid
11. Intervention
menime123
Superstar

Postby spiritboy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Here's my ranking:

1) Intervention
2) Love Profusion
3) Hollywood
4) Nothing Fails
5) Die Another Day
6) Nobody Knows Me

:lol: :lol: :lol:
spiritboy