Paolo Nutini

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, Benjamin, bm08

Postby Wayne » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:06 pm

Paolo Giovanni Nutini (b. 1987) is a Scottish singer-songwriter. His influences include David Bowie, Damien Rice, Oasis, The Beatles, U2, Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac.

Born on born 9th January 1987 in Paisley, Scotland, his father is of Italian descent and his mother Glaswegian, although his father’s family have been in Scotland for four generations. Nutini had no formal music training, and was expecting to follow his father into the family fish and chip shop business. He was first encouraged to sing by his music-loving grandfather and a teacher at his school who recognised his talent. He left school to work as a roadie and to sell T-shirts for Speedway and spent three years learning the music business, performing live, alone and with a band, and working as a studio hand at Glasgow’s Park Lane Studio.

His big chance came when he attended a concert for David Sneddon’s return to his home town of Paisley at the beginning of 2003. Sneddon was delayed, and as the winner of an impromptu pop quiz, Nutini was given the chance to perform a couple of songs on stage during the wait. The favourable reaction of the crowd impressed another member of the audience, who offered to become his manager.

A Daily Record journalist, John Dingwall, saw him performing at the Queen Margaret Union, and invited him to appear live on Radio Scotland. Still only seventeen, he moved to London, and performed regularly at the Bedford pub in Balham whilst still legally too young to drink alcohol himself. Other radio and live appearances followed, including two live acoustic spots on Radio London, The Hard Rock Cafe, and support slots for Amy Winehouse and KT Tunstall.
Pop's most beautiful man.

New album scheduled for this year.

I've been a fan since his debut album, I love him.

Any other fans? What's everyone's favourite songs/albums/performances?

I'm re-watching his 2010 T In The Park set at the moment, its pretty excellent!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby CrazyCrazy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:16 pm

Never been a fan but after watching the Abbey Road session of Iron Sky, I think he may have something I can get into. (Nasty thoughts) :lol: :oops:

Great voice, there's something Bob Marley about it.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Wayne » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:18 pm

^ Good laaaaawwwwd. :lol:

I think its time for the iconic Yoko avvie to go, in favour of something from Paolo!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby CrazyCrazy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Wayne wrote:^ Good laaaaawwwwd. :lol:

I think its time for the iconic Yoko avvie to go, in favour of something from Paolo!
I'm glad the hater avvie is going, I was going to ask you to remove it soon. :cry: :P
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:54 pm

Big fan of Paolo. First two albums are fantastic. I expect more of the same with the third one.
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby Carbon » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:52 am

Huge fan here. I like the 1st album, but the 2nd one I simply adore. I hope he can top that with this next one.
Carbon
Legend

Postby Wayne » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:34 am

Great, thought there'd be a couple of fans here! :D

I've just re-purchased his two albums on iTunes [£4.99 each - bargain!] - have physical copies of them somewhere, but thought I'd download them again anyway.

Going to give them both a listen through today, so pumped for his new album. That Abbey Road performance of Iron Sky has seriously got me amped up for new Paolo.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby zenneo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:39 am

Also a huge fan, and will be forever. Loved 'Sunny Side Up' and not quite sure if her could top that album IMO.

Love Him 8-)

Well...... After watching him sing Iron Sky, my opinion could change. Incredible :o :o :o :o :o
zenneo
Manager

Postby LongingHeart » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:26 am

Just bought my tickets for Munich, I can't wait!
LongingHeart
Manager

Postby Wayne » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:56 am

My GOOOODDDDDDD, forgot how good Sunny Side Up actually is.

On High Hopes at the moment!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Wayne » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:56 am

So, I've literally been obsessed with him for the last week, non-stop listening to his music. From his first two albums, here's my fifteen favourite Paolo songs...

01. No Other Way
02. Rewind
03. Million Faces
04. Autumn
05. 10/10
06. Loving You
07. These Streets
08. Smokey Joe's Cafe
09. Last Request
10. Alloway Grove
11. Pencil Full Of Lead
12. Growing Up Ain't Easy
13. High Hopes
14. Keep Rolling
15. Candy
Wayne
Administrator

Postby RockTheBoat » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:42 am

Been a fan since day one - second album is a classic! Looking forward to the new one.
Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.
RockTheBoat
Manager

Postby oasisbobo » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:52 pm

RockTheBoat wrote:Been a fan since day one - second album is a classic! Looking forward to the new one.
I'm agree.

I have a lot of respect for him because he makes the music he wants to. After the first album he could have easily have came out with another These Streets but he surprised everyone with Sunny Side Up. I remember it being a sort of slow burner to begin with but ended up selling as well as These Streets.
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:23 pm

i discovered him by accident and surprise last week.. became a fan instantly. bought his second album...now i'm obsessed.. i mean omfg at candy.. that song is pure bliss.. as is the whole album. I need to check out his debut album next.

I love him already.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Wayne » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:09 am

Since I got back into his music a few weeks back, I've done nothing but listen to Paolo - from watching his live performances at various festivals, to buying his albums again and blasting them through and through at work.

Its amazing how different his two albums are - its also amazing how much of a changed man he seems to be these days. The dark days he experienced in the aftermath of his second album going multiplatinum and the festival days which alienated him from music are thankfully gone now, and he just seems to have totally regained the passion he once had [see Iron Sky, Abbey Road].

If I had to choose between Sunny Side Up and These Streets a few years ago, I'd have sided with These Streets every time as I don't think Sunny Side Up was quite as instant as These Streets. But now, Sunny Side Up gets my vote - its a contemporary masterpiece, I can't quite explain how much I adore the album.

So pumped for Caustic Love!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby oasisbobo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:46 pm

Wayne wrote:So pumped for Caustic Love!
Same. I think it's going to be one of the best albums of the year 8-)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:56 am

i love him so much already. I'm also overly excited. caustic love will be brilliant.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Wayne » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:18 pm

Loving You is like the modern version of Let's Get It On (Marvin Gaye) - LOVE it.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby oasisbobo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:51 pm

I think im going to this to his albums today 8-)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby oasisbobo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:50 pm

Both his albums are £1.99 on amazon.co.uk :) 8-)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby Wayne » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:36 pm

oasisbobo wrote:Both his albums are £1.99 on amazon.co.uk :) 8-)
Bloody hell, I paid £4.99 each when I repurchased them last month!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby oasisbobo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:38 pm

Wayne wrote:
oasisbobo wrote:Both his albums are £1.99 on amazon.co.uk :) 8-)
Bloody hell, I paid £4.99 each when I repurchased them last month!
Still £4.99 worth every penny :)
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby stevyy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:57 pm

i bought both his Albums this month too.. omg. we are such stans here. i think i paid 5,99€ and 7,99€ on Amazon.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Wayne » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:11 pm

I think moreso than any artist I have ever played, I can just play his albums from start-to-finish without skipping a single track - he hasn't ever put out a bad track...

According to my iTunes, I am approaching 900 plays of his music over the last month. Better Man is currently my most played track with 71 spins. But I am confident that Iron Sky would be #1 by far if YouTube views were included! :P

Wayne's most played Paolo Nutini tracks

01. Better Man
02. Pencil Full of Lead
03. Candy
04. No Other Way
05. High hopes
06. Tricks of the Trade
07. 10/10
08. Growing Up Beside You
09. Million Faces
10. Coming Up Easy
11. Simple Things
12. Rewind
13. Chamber Music
14. Keep Rolling
15. Last Request
16. These Streets
17. Smokey Joe's Cafe
18. Worried Man
19. Loving You
20. Funky Cigarette
21. White Lies
22. Autumn
23. Jenny Don't Be Hasty
24. New Shoes
25. Alloway Grove*

* Would probably be top 5 if it didn't have the hidden Last Request at the end, I always end up skipping half of the track [which stands at 12 minutes long with a big gap in between Alloway Grove and the hidden live performance of Last Request]. Alloway Grove is probably the most beautiful thing he's ever recorded, magical.

So pumped for Caustic Love, I cannot wait! I only hope that Iron Sky's studio performance can live up to the live performance which remains one of the best things I've ever seen/heard.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby oasisbobo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:14 pm

900 plays over the last month? :o :o Wow that's impressive! 8-)
oasisbobo
Legend

Return to General Artists Discussion