Mariah Carey

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, stevyy, Benjamin

 

Battle Of The Live Performances: Round 5

Poll runs till Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:30 pm

If Only You Knew/Somewhere Over The Rainbow - Patti LaBelle Tribute
24
36%
Close My Eyes - Rosie O'Donnell Show
10
15%
My All - SNL
11
16%
Butterfly - SNL
22
33%
 
Total votes : 67

Postby BlueScorpion » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:28 pm

Seriously, Mariah's singles (OSD, WBT, AIWFCIY) have some the best / most fascinating chart stats I've seen for an artist. :cry:
"Side effects be drowsiness / Loneliness / How is this? / I think they call it hateration / What can you prescribe for this?"
User avatar
BlueScorpion
Superstar
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011
Location: Europe

Postby Shaka » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:29 pm

That's really sad :evil:

She doesn't get the credit she deserves as an artist.

Some people (especially the younger ones) think that AIWFCIY is a cover :roll:
User avatar
Shaka
Legend
 
Posts: 21769
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014
Location: Argentina

Postby Hoodriah » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:29 pm

The fact that it didn't hit the #1 spot when it came out in 1994 or any other year makes me sick.
User avatar
Hoodriah
Roadie
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017
Location: Germany

Postby stevyy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:32 pm

Hoodriah wrote:The fact that it didn't hit the #1 spot when it came out in 1994 or any other year makes me sick.
well... it did amazing wherever it was released as a single:

#2 - 500,000 - UK
#2 - 150,000 - AUS
#2 - 1,250,000 - Japan

+ since being availble for download

1,500,000 - UK
250,000 - AUS
1,800,000 - Japan
= 3,550,000 from those 3 alone. :o :cry:
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 49362
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Postby stevyy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:35 pm

BlueScorpion wrote:Seriously, Mariah's singles (OSD, WBT, AIWFCIY) have some the best / most fascinating chart stats I've seen for an artist. :cry:
that is exactly her problem. If those song had flopped beyond compare... they would have been much more recognized by music critics.

Whatever she achieved in the 1990s is ignored by the music press because they say that Tommy Mottola manipulated the charts to benefit her...

also Rolling Stone always said that Mariah is not a good singer... and an even worse songwriter.

Mc needed to be fat and ugly in the face with scars and deformed facial expressions + miss a limp and have a stutter for music critics to take notice.
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 49362
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Postby BlueScorpion » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:44 pm

Sales speak for themselves, they can't be manipulated, though stimulated (discounts, etc) - but EVERY artist in this good earth does that. :lol: Her career was built on numbers and her chart stats are well documented though I agree with you in the sense that the press will never give her enough love. And that comes from the fact she used us to a certain standard of perfection in her hey-day - both as musician and as a person that she no longer holds to for obvious and organic reasons.
"Side effects be drowsiness / Loneliness / How is this? / I think they call it hateration / What can you prescribe for this?"
User avatar
BlueScorpion
Superstar
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011
Location: Europe

Postby stevyy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:48 pm

BlueScorpion wrote:Sales speak for themselves, they can't be manipulated, though stimulated (discounts, etc) - but EVERY artist in this good earth does that. :lol: Her career was built on numbers and her chart stats are well documented though I agree with you in the sense that the press will never give her enough love. And that comes from the fact she used us to a certain standard of perfection in her hey-day - both as musician and as a person that she no longer holds to for obvious and organic reasons.
well just 6 weeks ago, BB released a list of most successful acts in terms of platinum and multi-platinum albums and completely missed and ignored Mariah who would have appeared with her 10 multi platinum albums (and 14 platinum albums in total). Instead they featured other acts with less pltinum and multi-platinum albums. #classy

It seems like she has already been erased from the books of achievements.

General consensus seems to be that anyone could have reached what she did.

9xP
4xP
4xP
10xP
5xP
10xP
5xP
5xP
3xP
6xP
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 49362
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Postby BlueScorpion » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Billboard being chart-checked by users mirrors the respect they deserve and their credibility. Well, they once released a list of artists with most #1 songs and Elvis Presley and his 17 chart toppers were missing. :lol:
"Side effects be drowsiness / Loneliness / How is this? / I think they call it hateration / What can you prescribe for this?"
User avatar
BlueScorpion
Superstar
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011
Location: Europe

Postby BlueScorpion » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:56 pm

I hope "Merry Christmas" gets that 6x Platinum certification in the USA - it's been LONG overdue. First female artist to ever achieve that with a christmas album! 8-)
"Side effects be drowsiness / Loneliness / How is this? / I think they call it hateration / What can you prescribe for this?"
User avatar
BlueScorpion
Superstar
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011
Location: Europe

Postby stevyy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:59 pm

BlueScorpion wrote:I hope "Merry Christmas" gets that 6x Platinum certification in the USA - it's been LONG overdue. First female artist to ever achieve that with a christmas album! 8-)
she would also be the first female with 5 albums at 6xP :o

1990, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2005
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 49362
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Postby woabritney » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 pm

^ How close are Emotions, Unplugged, Butterfly, and #1's from 6xp? I'd imagine they are all pretty close by now, no?
woabritney
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013

Postby Migrate » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:46 pm

Hoodriah is in the building !! 8-) Welcome dahlin'

And Shaka you're so right about that "Santa" vocal comparison :o never noticed that before !
User avatar
Migrate
Manager
 
Posts: 3092
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012

Postby taustin13 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:12 pm

Z0rzi wrote:
taustin13 wrote:
Z0rzi wrote:Been jamming to this lately...

That final belt used in this version of the song is KILLAH

Xmas is right 'round the corner <3

Hey cutie. I love this song too. I love the video more because Mariah went back to 1990 in the black dress and 90s natural curls.
I don't know why but I'm SOOOO excited for christmas this year! I have this feeling that Mimi is gonna SLAYYYYYYY us all
I feel the same way.
I'm Hot like FIRE. I'm Cold like ICE.
I'm the BEST & I'm the GREATEST!!
User avatar
taustin13
Manager
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015
Location: Indiana

Postby taustin13 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Shaka wrote:Top 5 is a reach 'cause we don't have the full tracking week this year, but begging for that Top 10, she so deserves it.

I've said this before, but AIWFCIY deserves a special Billboard Award. I mean, there's another 18 yo song that is able to enter in the Top 30/20 every year since the rules allowed it to chart? And streaming is increasing like crazy every year, almost doubling the previous year's mark.

Views per year since '09:
2009 - 788,324
2010 - 9,783,089
2011 - 14,646,246
2012 - 10,461,020
2013 - 19,018,829
2014 - 36,760,639
2015 - 61,413,029
2016 - 110,858,113
The song is such a monster classic.
Absolutely
I'm Hot like FIRE. I'm Cold like ICE.
I'm the BEST & I'm the GREATEST!!
User avatar
taustin13
Manager
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015
Location: Indiana

Postby bm08 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:14 pm

They've released VIP Package info for the AIWFCIY Tour:

http://www.mariahcarey.com/news/title/c ... w-on-sale/

I dont see anything about M&G but given the schedule, it's probably wise not to have them.
Last edited by bm08 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
bm08
Superstar
 
Posts: 8951
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013

Postby taustin13 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:19 pm

stevyy wrote:
BlueScorpion wrote:Sales speak for themselves, they can't be manipulated, though stimulated (discounts, etc) - but EVERY artist in this good earth does that. :lol: Her career was built on numbers and her chart stats are well documented though I agree with you in the sense that the press will never give her enough love. And that comes from the fact she used us to a certain standard of perfection in her hey-day - both as musician and as a person that she no longer holds to for obvious and organic reasons.
well just 6 weeks ago, BB released a list of most successful acts in terms of platinum and multi-platinum albums and completely missed and ignored Mariah who would have appeared with her 10 multi platinum albums (and 14 platinum albums in total). Instead they featured other acts with less pltinum and multi-platinum albums. #classy

It seems like she has already been erased from the books of achievements.

General consensus seems to be that anyone could have reached what she did.

9xP
4xP
4xP
10xP
5xP
10xP
5xP
5xP
3xP
6xP
PREACH!!!!!!!
I'm Hot like FIRE. I'm Cold like ICE.
I'm the BEST & I'm the GREATEST!!
User avatar
taustin13
Manager
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015
Location: Indiana

Postby onesup » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:32 pm

Shaka wrote:I love this remix!

She's serving MIAM vocals here tho :lol:

Same! This one is so fun. I think she did great sounded like little Mike. I had mixed feelings about it when it first came out but I love it
User avatar
onesup
Manager
 
Posts: 1380
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016

Postby ForeverYoung » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:37 pm

onesup wrote:
Shaka wrote:I love this remix!

She's serving MIAM vocals here tho :lol:

Same! This one is so fun. I think she did great sounded like little Mike. I had mixed feelings about it when it first came out but I love it
Vocally and production-wise, this is how I imagine Lil Snowman will sound like.
User avatar
ForeverYoung
Manager
 
Posts: 3680
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010

Postby justTrifling » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:13 pm

ForeverYoung wrote:
onesup wrote:
Shaka wrote:I love this remix!

She's serving MIAM vocals here tho :lol:

Same! This one is so fun. I think she did great sounded like little Mike. I had mixed feelings about it when it first came out but I love it
Vocally and production-wise, this is how I imagine Lil Snowman will sound like.
Good call tbh, you're probably spot on
It was twilight
On the Fourth of July
Sparkling
colors were
Strewn across the sky
User avatar
justTrifling
Manager
 
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017
Location: NY

Postby careybling » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:14 pm

ForeverYoung wrote:
onesup wrote:
Shaka wrote:I love this remix!

She's serving MIAM vocals here tho :lol:

Same! This one is so fun. I think she did great sounded like little Mike. I had mixed feelings about it when it first came out but I love it
Vocally and production-wise, this is how I imagine Lil Snowman will sound like.
Mixed feelings about her vocals on this but the whistle at 2:42 is beautiful :o
"So starry eyed
On the flowery hillside
Breathless and fervid
Amid the dandelions"
User avatar
careybling
Manager
 
Posts: 1683
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016
Location: Venezuela

Postby EAI » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:04 pm

That whistle is so amazing, beautiful, and brilliant. And if y’all are expecting little snowman to sound like 2005 vocals, y’all are gonna be disappointed lmao.
F*ck off and lose my number.
User avatar
EAI
Superstar
 
Posts: 8884
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Postby Z0rzi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:14 pm

The problem about MIAM vocals isn't that they are overproduced, it's that they are BADLY produced.
She's been overproducing her vocals since Charmbracelet (maybe except in E=MC², they are a bit more raw there) but in MIAM they did something VERY wrong with her voice in some songs... :lol:
User avatar
Z0rzi
Groupie
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017

Postby jeremimi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:32 pm

Z0rzi wrote:The problem about MIAM vocals isn't that they are overproduced, it's that they are BADLY produced.
She's been overproducing her vocals since Charmbracelet (maybe except in E=MC², they are a bit more raw there) but in MIAM they did something VERY wrong with her voice in some songs... :lol:
Dana Jon chapelle did all the mixing and engineering of her vocals from her debut up until TEOM. After she split with him I’ve noticed the mixing isn’t as good.
jeremimi
Roadie
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012

Postby tiagolambily31 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:34 pm

Hey Guys. My name is Tiago, and i am a huge lamb from Portugal. Love Mariah and this forum. I laugh all the time :lol:

I´ve seen Mariah in Milan at The sweet Fantasy Tour, and i will see her in Paris this December. I am beyond excited :D
User avatar
tiagolambily31
Groupie
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017

Postby allygdale » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:45 pm

The MIAM mixing was perfect, its just overusage of pitch correction but still not as much as MCIIY

Dana had to go after CB, sorry, that was inexcusable
Last edited by allygdale on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I AM FREE.
User avatar
allygdale
Superstar
 
Posts: 5257
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013

Return to General Artists Discussion