Mariah Carey

Moderators: tdc2000, Wayne, Benjamin, stevyy

Which was her best live performance from the MTV Unplugged album?

Emotions
18%
If It's Over
27%
Someday
4%
Vision of Love
3%
Make It Happen
12%
I'll Be There
15%
Can't Let Go
21%

Total votes : 73

Postby eternally12 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:31 am

Yeah there was definitely damage done each year to her voice, especially during the recording of virtually every studio album in the 90s. The damage is definitely most prevalent in Butterfly and Rainbow vocals. It's good that she took a bit of time off in the Glitter era and regained virtually everything consistently on the CB tour. It's just a shame her voice was overused again on TEOM.
F**k off and lose my number. You are an idiot. Mariah is on fire.
eternally12
Superstar

Postby allygdale » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:44 am

eternally12 wrote:Yeah there was definitely damage done each year to her voice, especially during the recording of virtually every studio album in the 90s. The damage is definitely most prevalent in Butterfly and Rainbow vocals. It's good that she took a bit of time off in the Glitter era and regained virtually everything consistently on the CB tour. It's just a shame her voice was overused again on TEOM.
Omg so did you know that she was off pitch on butterfly too? Maybe not but when you run Butterfly through auto tune on low settings it sounds like an Oh Santa whisper and Heavenly mess! I prefer it without!!

I wonder if the vibrato in her whisper is just too much for auto tune to handle and she's not really as off pitch as it thinks?
★¨`*•♫.•´*.¸.•´♥ ♫ hotter than cable tv ~ like something out of your dreams ★¨`*•♫.•´*.¸.•´♥ ♫
allygdale
Manager

Postby tifetqueen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:46 am

I wish Mariah could do something like John Legend's Love Me Now or Ed Sheeran's Shape Of You.
tifetqueen
Manager

Postby allygdale » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:49 am

Oh my god I am listening to Heavenly and I love it but my lord that auto tune is a hot mess! Her voice was in the same condition on One More Try but it is so much better because there is less auto tune
★¨`*•♫.•´*.¸.•´♥ ♫ hotter than cable tv ~ like something out of your dreams ★¨`*•♫.•´*.¸.•´♥ ♫
allygdale
Manager

Postby allygdale » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:50 am

tifetqueen wrote:I wish Mariah could do something like John Legend's Love Me Now or Ed Sheeran's Shape Of You.
Oh hell no Mariah ain't touching that tropical shit :lol:
allygdale
Manager

Postby gunman6 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:50 am

Mariah Carey’s manager was always hungry for fame

Long before she managed Mariah Carey, Stella Bulochnikov was a standup comedian. :o

Going by her married name, Stella Stolper, the tough-talking Russian native competed on Season 4 of “Last Comic Standing” while pregnant with her second child.

In a clip from an episode that aired June 20, 2006, she jokes about her pregnancy, telling the crowd, “I love the babies! I want to have more kids, really, I do! I just can’t take the pain, and the nausea and all that weight. And I’m not talking about the nine months of being pregnant, I’m talking about the two minutes the old man’s on top of me.”

Unfortunately for Bulochnikov, the audience couldn’t take her jokes: She was voted off in the same episode. :lol:

Her efforts at comedy stardom may lend credence to rumors that Bulochnikov, an experienced TV producer and the mastermind behind “Mariah’s World,” is eager for her own fame.

“Stella is the one who really wants to be the reality star. She even filmed a pilot for herself last year,” an insider who used to work with the self-proclaimed “Russian dictator” previously told Page Six. “This will likely be more of a TV launching vehicle for her. It’s going to be like the Stella show, which is what she’s always wanted. She is definitely very much out for herself, and this is a golden opportunity for her because she wants to be famous. She wants to be the one in the magazines.” :lol:

The source added, “Stella is the furthest thing from a manager. She’s a TV producer. She’s practically moved in with Mariah and now she has so much stuff on her that she can get her to do anything. She’s pulling the strings, and Mariah does whatever she says.”

http://pagesix.com/2017/01/05/mariah-careys-manager-was-always-hungry-for-fame/

:lol:
Last edited by gunman6 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mariah + Stella + JD = Flop af
gunman6
Manager

Postby tifetqueen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:52 am

allygdale wrote:
tifetqueen wrote:I wish Mariah could do something like John Legend's Love Me Now or Ed Sheeran's Shape Of You.
Oh hell no Mariah ain't touching that tropical shit :lol:
I know this is a repeat, but honestly I'm not here for another Infinity dreeeeyyyyaaaammmmmm, nor Triumphant and Co. Nope. :wink:
tifetqueen
Manager

Postby eternally12 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:53 am

allygdale wrote:Oh my god I am listening to Heavenly and I love it but my lord that auto tune is a hot mess! Her voice was in the same condition on One More Try but it is so much better because there is less auto tune
Her voice is especially grating on those last three tracks on MIAMTEC. Such a shame! And the melodyne and pitch shifting is ridiculous and she sounds so dry :oops: I used to love heavenly and did warm up to OMT for a while but now I just skip them again :oops:
eternally12
Superstar

Postby eternally12 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:56 am

allygdale wrote:
eternally12 wrote:Yeah there was definitely damage done each year to her voice, especially during the recording of virtually every studio album in the 90s. The damage is definitely most prevalent in Butterfly and Rainbow vocals. It's good that she took a bit of time off in the Glitter era and regained virtually everything consistently on the CB tour. It's just a shame her voice was overused again on TEOM.
Omg so did you know that she was off pitch on butterfly too? Maybe not but when you run Butterfly through auto tune on low settings it sounds like an Oh Santa whisper and Heavenly mess! I prefer it without!!

I wonder if the vibrato in her whisper is just too much for auto tune to handle and she's not really as off pitch as it thinks?
I always prefer her voice raw like on Butterfly! Which part are you referencing specifically?

Also wasn't Mariah one of the first people to trial melodyne software back in 1999 before it was released to a wider audience? I read that somewhere. It's particularly prevalent in the CTTA Morales remix which sounds more like auto tune than subtle melodyne though it's probably an old version
eternally12
Superstar

Postby eternally12 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:07 am

eternally12
Superstar

Postby eternally12 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:09 am

Lmao this performance, and the glasses are too much :lol:

Literally the #QueenOfJapan

And that mic drop at 3:17 >>>
eternally12
Superstar

Postby eternally12 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:14 am

The reaction to Jamaica though
eternally12
Superstar

Postby tifetqueen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:26 am

tifetqueen
Manager

Postby allygdale » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:28 am

eternally12 wrote:
allygdale wrote:

I always prefer her voice raw like on Butterfly! Which part are you referencing specifically?

Also wasn't Mariah one of the first people to trial melodyne software back in 1999 before it was released to a wider audience? I read that somewhere. It's particularly prevalent in the CTTA Morales remix which sounds more like auto tune than subtle melodyne though it's probably an old version
She used auto tune on the last couple of albums, maybe she switched over? I will see if I can do some again
allygdale
Manager

Postby eternally12 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:39 am

Pretty sure Mariah loves Aerosmith based on the amount of pictures she's had with Steven Tyler! I'd love for her to tap into other genres more often
eternally12
Superstar

Postby careybling » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:46 am

eternally12 wrote:Lmao this performance, and the glasses are too much :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=223aT24DQEM

Literally the #QueenOfJapan

And that mic drop at 3:17 >>>
Ariana wants to be her so bad!

"So starry eyed
On the flowery hillside
Breathless and fervid
Amid the dandelions"
careybling
Manager

Postby ajam » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:56 am

One more try and Heavenly vocals are a mess. Honestly, truly. Listened to them once and never again.

#Beautiful, YDKWTD and especially DEDICATED are the golden trifecta from MIAM and some of her best work ever, period. (Make it look good and Camouflage - honorable mentions).
ajam
Personal Assistant

Postby allygdale » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:16 pm

allygdale wrote:
eternally12 wrote:
allygdale wrote:

She used auto tune on the last couple of albums, maybe she switched over? I will see if I can do some again
Tried
https://app.box.com/s/nlnjz2tdyufr6yx8rlg4197pb9tm1ysq
allygdale
Manager

Postby allygdale » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:22 pm

eternally12 wrote:
allygdale wrote:Wow it is crazy how much her nodules improved between "Butterfly" and "Through The Rain" raw acapellas! :o

https://app.box.com/s/qkp186sm3jw6n2ci7xjn0xl75klrjzlz
Come thru with the gold, ally! :o

Her belts on this song sound the best on CB, I just hate some of the whispers and cut and paste :evil: I love hearing her pull the mic away/move her head away from the mic on some belts
Reup! :D
allygdale
Manager

Postby gunman6 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:30 pm

I stay in love with I stay in love :cry:
Mariah + Stella + JD = Flop af
gunman6
Manager

Postby TwistedFantasy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:36 pm

^ At least someone does...
TwistedFantasy
Manager

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:40 pm

YDKWTD is the best song released in the 2010's so far.
Love, is love, is love. - Kylie M.
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby SawyerHewitt » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:41 pm

gunman6 wrote:Image

Her smile was everything :cry:
This was right after the O2 show in London, just outside the Corinthia Hotel.
I was there w/Murt & UK_Lamb hahaha
She really looked FLAWLESS.

BTW, eeeeeew to Camouflage #dontknowher
Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.
SawyerHewitt
Manager

Postby eternally12 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Good job! Do you have a melodyne program to compare? I always thought melodyne was a bit more subtle.

Lord, autotune ruins the natural beauty in her voice so much.

But I'm glad she autotuned Jussie's voice in Infamous.

It suited her voice in Obsessed (as that was the style of the song). I remember when it was released though so many people were ragging on her for using autotune :lol:
eternally12
Superstar

Postby carloandrew » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:48 pm

If I were Mariah

I'd have a day to be truly free

I'd wake up and cook breakfast for my kids
Go out and get some coffee at any random coffee shop with just jeans and plain white sleeveless

Id take a stroll in NY looking just like another chick everyone likes

I'll have some pizza ordered for my kids at lunch

In the evening I'll take uber and go to the nearest mcdonalds and order some fries and sundaes

I think its important for celebrities to experience being a regular person once in a while
Oprah Winfrey whole segment, for real.
20/20 Barbara Walters, for real
60 Minutes, for real.
carloandrew
Manager

Return to General Artists Discussion