Minnie Riperton

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, stevyy, Benjamin

Postby intosoul » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:48 am

Minnie Riperton (1947 – 1979) was an American singer-songwriter best known for her 1975 single "Lovin' You". She is known as the originator of the whistle register. In a 1998 interview for Vibe magazine, Mariah Carey cited Riperton as a huge influence on her.

As a child, she studied music, drama, and dance at Chicago's Lincoln Center. In her teen years, she sang lead vocals for the Chicago-based girl group, The Gems. Her early affiliation with the legendary Chicago-based Chess Records afforded her the opportunity to sing backup for various established artists such as Etta James, Fontella Bass, Ramsey Lewis, Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry, and Muddy Waters. While at Chess, Riperton also sang lead for the experimental rock/soul group Rotary Connection, from 1967 to 1971. On April 5, 1975, Riperton reached the apex of her career with her #1 single, "Lovin' You". The single was the last release from her 1974 gold album entitled Perfect Angel.

In January 1976, Riperton was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a radical mastectomy.[3] By the time of diagnosis, the cancer had metastasized and she was given about six months to live. Despite the grim prognosis, she continued recording and touring. She was one of the first celebrities to go public with her breast cancer diagnosis, but did not disclose she was terminally ill.
intosoul
Superstar

Postby intosoul » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:36 pm

One of the most beautiful and sensual R&B songs ever!
It didn't age a bit.

intosoul
Superstar

Postby firefly_86 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:45 pm

Only just recently found out that she was the mother of Maya Rudolph of SNL / Brudesmaids.
MIND. BLOWN. :o
firefly_86
Manager

Postby Carbon » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:29 pm

this should go to the General Artists section

her voice is beautiful tho I only know Lovin You. should/will check out something else these days
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm

Carbon's 2017 Faves
- check it out!
Carbon
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:12 pm

intosoul wrote:One of the most beautiful and sensual R&B songs ever!
It didn't age a bit.

omg I know this, was it sampled by someone? I love it, should try more of her music soon.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:49 am

Such a tragic story. She died at such a young age and she was the public face of breast cancer in her latter years.

She released some of her best work when she knew her time was running out, especially with some of those songs on her last album which essentially was her way of saying goodbye, Even a clip like this shows what a trooper she was right to the end, if you notice she never moves her right arm during the performance, its because the cancer had already ravaged her body so badly that her arm was already paralyzed.

NothingFails
Legend

Postby intosoul » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:50 am

NothingFails wrote:Such a tragic story. She died at such a young age and she was the public face of breast cancer in her latter years.

She released some of her best work when she knew her time was running out, especially with some of those songs on her last album which essentially was her way of saying goodbye, Even a clip like this shows what a trooper she was right to the end, if you notice she never moves her right arm during the performance, its because the cancer had already ravaged her body so badly that her arm was already paralyzed.
"Memory Lane" is such a bittersweet song. Her last album was not as good as the rest, but it has some gems: Never Existed Before, Return to Forever and Memory Lane.
intosoul
Superstar

Postby intosoul » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:51 am

I love this cover version with the bosa nova feel. Minnie is so flirty on this one.

intosoul
Superstar

Postby Controlfreak » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:46 pm

It's so sad her life was cut short
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby intosoul » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:51 pm

She sang about her life being cut short on this beautiful song.
It was finished after she died by her husband and Stevie Wonder.
Stevie is literally mourning her while playing harmonica :cry:

intosoul
Superstar

Postby hellohello » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:45 pm

What a sad life she had. I am glad she blessed us with her voice. It's sweet like honey. Such a beautiful soul.
Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney
hellohello
Manager

Postby intosoul » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:50 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:
intosoul wrote:One of the most beautiful and sensual R&B songs ever!
It didn't age a bit.

omg I know this, was it sampled by someone? I love it, should try more of her music soon.
I think you are referring to the hit "2 People" by Jean Jacques Smoothie.
But "Inside My Love" was also covered by several R&B artists and was played in some movies like Road Trip.
intosoul
Superstar

Postby intosoul » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:59 pm

intosoul
Superstar

Postby intosoul » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:45 pm

intosoul
Superstar

Postby bluecherry » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:31 pm

Minnie's Lament is so beautiful.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby intosoul » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:10 pm

This might be my favorite Minnie song of all time.

The music is so wonderful and then she starts singing this fairytale...
She mentions her daughter Maya again in this song. :lol:

intosoul
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:28 pm

"Loving You" is a classic!

It's great to hear singers from this era, their technique is so spontaneous as compared to the calculated vocal runs these days.
GetBack
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:17 pm

Hey guys, at the moment there aren't many volunteers for her current survivor: a duo for 'Perfect Angel' and 'Adventures in Paradise'. I would love to be able to continue this and hope you all enjoy the album if you partake!!
bluecherry
Manager

Return to General Artists Discussion