Patti Labelle

Moderators: tdc2000, Benjamin, stevyy

Postby MonaBlissa » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:50 pm

It's time for the legendary Patti Labelle, who continues to reinvent, to get her own platform here.

She has so many legendary performances, features in humor, acting and even variety-esque shows (a la Cher). In addition, Patti's fashion choices and hair styles also influenced latter generations. Let's send many blessings to the Queen Godmother!

My favorite Patti performance: Patti Labelle "Forever Young"
Soul Train 25th Anniversary Hall of Fame

MonaBlissa
Manager

Postby Pawlu84 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:16 pm

Her voice is so powerful and what's amazing is that she doesn't seem to force it at all, she could even outsing Whitney at her prime.
Pawlu84
Manager

Postby MonaBlissa » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:27 pm

Her capacity and belts are amazing. Whitney had other elements that placed her in an elite circle, and some of that was her tone. Patti doesn't have the prettiest tone, but she makes up for it in so many other ways.

:D I just tried Patti's sweet potato pie for the first time.

Here's another fun one from the 80s: Stir It Up

MonaBlissa
Manager

Postby Pawlu84 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:04 pm

MonaBlissa wrote:Her capacity and belts are amazing. Whitney had other elements that placed her in an elite circle, and some of that was her tone. Patti doesn't have the prettiest tone, but she makes up for it in so many other ways.

:D I just tried Patti's sweet potato pie for the first time.

Here's another fun one from the 80s: Stir It Up

Tone wise Whitney was much better but when it comes to power no one can outsing her. I mean :o :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxGK2Shp8po
Pawlu84
Manager

Postby Nippian93 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:09 pm

We all know who has the rendition of National Anthem that matters a.k.a. the best rendition ever, and it is not Patti LaBelle :).
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Pawlu84 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:14 pm

Nippian93 wrote:We all know who has the rendition of National Anthem that matters a.k.a. the best rendition ever, and it is not Patti LaBelle :).
I know who it is, :P I'm just amazed how she keeps reaching the notes like it;s the easiest thing in the world.
Pawlu84
Manager

Postby Nippian93 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:17 pm

Pawlu84 wrote:
Nippian93 wrote:We all know who has the rendition of National Anthem that matters a.k.a. the best rendition ever, and it is not Patti LaBelle :).
I know who it is, :P I'm just amazed how she keeps reaching the notes like it;s the easiest thing in the world.
Listening to it for a while, especially on speakers would make my head and ears hurt, it is more like "look at me, I am here" than singing, definitely not for me.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Pawlu84 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:20 pm

This video still kills me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pawlu84
Manager

Postby Wardo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:39 pm

Stir It Up is super fun. But nothing beats Yo Mister for me. The video...!!!!!! :lol:

Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby SmartIsNewSexy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:54 pm

This is my favorite Patti performance too! :cry:

She doesnt even need a microphone. She is just projecting her voice.
The ending is INSANE!
She was like 10 feet away.from the microphone and still SANGing! :cry:

MonaBlissa wrote:
My favorite Patti performance: Patti Labelle "Forever Young"
Soul Train 25th Anniversary Hall of Fame

SmartIsNewSexy
Legend

Postby Freakydeaky23 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:45 pm

Patti has an inctedible instrument. Her voice has aged very. I really like some of her early work when she was with Labelle especially on Nightbirds. She's been talking about making a new album for years she even said Mariah was writing for her but nothing ever happened. I don't think Patti could out-sing Whitney in her prime. Patti has a much louder and wider belting range but she often used it in an unmusucal way, over-singing instead of performing with good taste. She would lose focus. Whitney had a significantly better lower register, the resonance and control age has in her mid belts was immense and she sung with more finese. I think Patti let herself down sometimes with her vocal histronics. She still has had her good moments but I have to be honest
Freakydeaky23
Roadie

Postby tyguy723 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:46 pm

I absolutely love Patti, her discography is severely underrated!
tyguy723
Manager

Postby Controlfreak » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:53 pm

tyguy723 wrote:I absolutely love Patti, her discography is severely underrated!
!!!!!!

If You Asked to Me>>>
Somebody Loves You>>>>>
Right Kinda Lover>>>>>
New Attitude>>>>>
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby MonaBlissa » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:50 am

Does anybody remember when L.A. Reid screwed Patti Labelle over, and Ivana Trump "consoled" her.

Labelle took the stage Friday night at the magnificent Atlantis full of fury and fire. “I’ve been in this business for 45 years,” she told the assembled crowd after a series of terrific performances by her guest stars including Nelly, who doesn’t sing but sweetly appeared on stage with a towel to pat Patti off and brought her water when she needed it. “I’ve done everything myself. The record labels don’t care about you. I’m not here because of them. I don’t care who knows it,” she said, referring to the DefJam calamity. She used some four-letter words she said later she hoped her two elderly aunts in the audience would permit. “I told Ivana Trump what happened, and she said ‘F- em if they don’t appreciate you.’”
MonaBlissa
Manager

Postby Controlfreak » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:44 pm

So many classic Patti Labelle stories :lol:
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Nippian93 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:51 am

In addition to her tour Ms. Patti is completing work on a new jazz album, as yet untitled, which she plans to release this May and will feature covers by Frank Sinatra, Nina Simone, and more. The seasoned entertainer also shared with us that she’s always interested in acting, and if the right part comes along she’s always going to say yes. With her acting gigs, line of food products, tour dates and album projects filling up her calendar, Ms. Patti makes 73 look like the new 50, all fly and fierce and focused on shining bright for the world to see. We see you Ms. Patti!
http://www.vh1.com/news/302091/patti-labelle-hardrock/
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:09 pm

Patti LaBelle Announces New Album “Bel Hommage”

Legendary award-winning entertainer, Patti LaBelle, announced that she will release a new album entitled Bel Hommage on May 5, 2017. A stunning collection of jazz standards, the release is a joint venture between Sony Red and LaBelle’s own label, GPE Records. The physical CD is available for pre-order now and the digital album will be available for pre-order on March 24th.

Bel Hommage, LaBelle’s first album since the 2008 critically acclaimed Labelle reunion project, Back to Now, boasts thirteen beloved jazz classics including, “Moanin’,” “Moody’s Mood for Love” (featuring KEM), “Peel Me A Grape,” “Softly As I Leave You” and “Here’s To Life”.

With more than 50 years in show business, LaBelle has recorded and performed music across multiple genres including R&B, disco, pop and gospel. However, Bel Hommage marks her first foray into jazz. She grew up listening to many of the songs that she recorded for the project and has always admired artists such as Dinah Washington, James Moody, Nina Simone, Nancy Wilson and Frank Sinatra, who’ve made these standards famous. LaBelle says, “I’ve been saying for years that I was going to record a jazz album, but I hadn’t taken that leap of faith to try something different. Now I’m so happy that I did because I really love all of these songs and I pray that everyone else will too!”

In addition to Bel Hommage, LaBelle is releasing her sixth book and fourth cookbook, Desserts LaBelle, on April 25th and has a line of successful food products, Patti’s Good Life, which is carried at Walmart stores. She also continues to sell out concert venues across the United States and stars on the hit Cooking Channel show, Patti LaBelle’s Place.
Patti LaBelle – Bel Hommage Track Listing:

1. The Jazz In You
2. Wild Is The Wind
3. Moanin’
4. Till I Get It Right
5. Moody’s Mood For Love (featuring KEM)
6. Softly As I Leave You
7. Peel Me A Grape
8. Don’t Explain
9. I Can Cook Too
10. Folks On The Hill
11. Go To Hell
12. Song For Old Lovers
13. Here’s To Life

http://youknowigotsoul.com/patti-labell ... el-hommage
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:12 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Freakydeaky23 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:31 pm

I'm not familiar with any of these songs, but it's great to see she has a new album out after over a decade. I wonder what her stuido recordings will sound like now she's in her 70s
Freakydeaky23
Roadie

Postby tyguy723 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:41 pm

I'm excited to hear some new Patti! Glad she hasn't retired yet :D
tyguy723
Manager

Postby Nippian93 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:15 pm

tyguy723 wrote:I'm excited to hear some new Patti! Glad she hasn't retired yet :D
Same, I am not her biggest fan, but I am glad she is still making music and will definitely check the album.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby dhenapie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:18 am

I enjoy Patti. Probably moreso as a "character" than a singer, though. I find her constant yelling pretty annoying and doesn't sound very pleasing.

But this video still gets me every time. :lol:

We are never just good or just bad. We are mosaics of our worst selves and our best selves.
- Taylor Swift (reputation)
dhenapie
Manager

Postby naughtynae » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:08 am

I love jazz and I love Patti but I'm worried about how that album will sound, jazz for the most part is about subtlety in the delivery...
naughtynae
Legend

Postby Controlfreak » Fri May 05, 2017 7:04 pm

LaBelle claims to have several albums finished for GPE, including a gospel album, a dance-music album, and an album featuring the new first songs penned by fellow Philadelphians Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff — the principles behind Philadelphia International Records — in decades, a fact confirmed by Gamble himself. “When Patti calls, I listen, and we wrote some beautiful numbers just for her,” he said on the 2016 occasion of Gamble, Huff, and LaBelle winning the prestigious Marian Anderson Award.
http://variety.com/2017/music/news/patt ... 202408633/
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby MarcJM » Wed May 17, 2017 2:30 am

Anybody pick up Patti's new jazz CD? How is it?
MarcJM
Groupie

Return to General Artists Discussion