Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, stevyy, Benjamin, bm08

Postby Controlfreak » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:48 am

702 was an American R&B trio composed of Meelah (lead singer) and sisters Irish & Misha. They released three albums 1996's No Doubt, 1999's 702 and 2003's Star and a string of moderate R&B hits. Their biggest to date remain Where My Girls At? Their biggest album to date remain their sophomore album. Get into 702!

Albums
No Doubt (1996)
702 (1999)
Star (2003)

Singles
Steelo
Get It Together
All I Want
No Doubt
Where My Girls At?
You Don't Know
Gotta Leave
Pootie Tangin'
Star
I Still Love You
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby intosoul » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:36 am

Meelah's voice is errrrrrrrrrr thing.
I guess they are alright in my book. "702" was a fly album.
intosoul
Superstar

Postby nuttah » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:53 am

Saw Meelah live a few years back, defo a great singer.

702 classic 90s R&B Group. Fav Songs Steelo , I still love you, where my girls at
nuttah
Groupie

Postby MonaBlissa » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:44 pm

I hate that their second cd fizzled after the first hit single. They had other good songs.
MonaBlissa
Manager

Postby biscuits » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:52 pm

Get It Together is my fav, but I like a lot of their singles. Never listened to a full album though.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby ThaInfo1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:05 pm

biscuits wrote:Get It Together is my fav, but I like a lot of their singles. Never listened to a full album though.
Same.
'SCAPE
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Controlfreak » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:42 pm

Their second album was good. Star was solid.
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Controlfreak » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:30 am

MEELAH OPENS UP ABOUT SOLO MUSIC, AUTISM AWARENESS AND OVERCOMING INSECURITIES

You’ve just been signed to Soul Star/eOne. Tell me how that came together.

Musiq [Soulchild] approached me about signing with his label and told me he was partnering with eOne so of course I was interested and readily accepted!

Will there be a solo album in the works soon? If so, tell me a little more about that.

I will be finally debuting my solo album which I’m super excited about! It will be a 12 song project and I have full creative control so I’m very happy!

Any collaborations that we should know about for this album?

[There will be] no confirmed collabs yet. I may or may not have any. I don’t feel the pressure to do so, but I’m not opposed, so we’ll see. I’d like the focus more so on me since this is my first solo album, but a feature may not hurt so like I said we’ll see. Haha!

After establishing your career with 702 and now taking on a solo career with an album, what has that transition been like for you while still juggling motherhood at the same time?

It’s definitely been about balance. It comes with its challenges at times, but I’m a mother first so I focus on my son, who is also my inspiration. This motivates me to get the job done by any means necessary.

You’re the founder of a non-profit called P.R.O.U.D that advocates for mothers with children who have autism, which is amazing. Tell me more about what geared you to start that and how you plan on helping these mothers?

My son was diagnosed with Autism in 2013. I felt compelled from that point on to use my platform to raise awareness and encourage other parents of special needs/developmentally delayed children.

P.R.O.U.D is a 501c3 non profit that holds events annually and gives other Autism moms and dads hope. Our purpose is to be their voice and provide support groups for them.

What will be the theme or message of your album?

My album will tell a story. It will be a journal of my personal journey through life, love, and relationships…my highs and my lows. I want it to be cohesive and relatable, while touching on things I myself or people I know are going through, have dealt with, or experienced.

You were born and raised in Las Vegas, which is where your musical career started. What brought you to Atlanta?

I’d always had interest in living in Atlanta. I used to visit a lot and spent time writing and recording when it was Hotlanta lol! I decided to make it my home to raise my son. The suburbs here are gorgeous and kid friendly.

Throughout your career, you’ve collaborated with so many talented artists such as Missy Elliot, Timbaland, Faith Evans, Pharrell Williams and more! Who did you enjoy working with the most and what made that project so special?

I loved and was honored to work with everyone mentioned, but I’d have to say my favorites were Missy Elliott and Pharrell Williams! They both are just so different. They each have their unique sound and in their own lane. Everything I’ve recorded with them was absolutely amazing and I hope to work with them again on my album. Fingers crossed!

Rumor has it that you and LaTavia Roberson from Destiny’s Child are working on producing your own reality show together? Tell us a little more about that and what inspired you both to work on a show.

Yes, I’m so excited about this! We’ve secretly been working on this for quite some time. In the past we did [R&B Divas] together with an ensemble cast, which was an interesting experience, so we wanted to do our own show to see what it would be like from a producer standpoint. We feel the need to tell our stories as working moms, industry moms, me as a single mom, etc.

You’ve mentioned before that you would love to come out with children’s books! How did that come about and when can we expect to see this?

I’ve already released a children’s album in 2012 called “We Are Different”, which my so loves. I’d love to do a children’s book series to go hand in hand with kid songs. I’m projecting a 2018 release.

In R&B Divas, you opened up about your past insecurities in regards to your skin tone which stemmed from bullying. Have you since overcome those insecurities and what advice would you give other young women who may face similar obstacles?

I definitely have overcome any insecurity or complex pertaining to my skin tone. It’s unfortunate that it was ever even a thing. Kids can be cruel and say things they’ve heard others say which is learned behavior. The teasing started in grade school but ended by junior high and high school.

However, once I got in the music industry it seemed as though the taboo subject matter resurfaced. By then I was very confident and self assured so I didn’t pay it any mind. I want all girls and boys my skin tone and darker to know they are beautiful and they can achieve anything they want to as long as they know it! And as long as they not allow people who are negative to intimidate or discourage them.

14 years later, you’re working on your debut album. Why the long hiatus and what made now the right time to work on that?

Timing is everything. I’ve always worked on music, but at my own pace. I’ve been taking my time doing a lot of self discovery and exploration. I’ve been fortunate to experiment musically with no pressure, which is liberating.

After the last 702 album I wasn’t even sure a solo album was what I wanted to do, but I’ve since realized the fans have been and are still waiting on me to release a project. This certainly encouraged me to move forward with recording my debut. I feel like over the 14 years I’ve experienced a lot and truly have something to sing about now. Haha!

Lastly, what makes you strikingly different?

There’s only one Meelah, for sure! I’m a special needs mom out of Las Vegas who, despite my 20 years in the game, isn’t chasing trends or gimmicks. I’m simply living in my truth, doing things my way, at my own pace, on my own terms.
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby biscuits » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:40 pm

I live, breathe and die for this performance. The horrible styling, the non-existent harmonising, the fight for lead vocals, the nightmarish accapella, the DROP TO THA FLOOR, the WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY

Just watch and it'll all make sense :lol:
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Ewokguy15 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:49 pm

I've heard cats harmonise better :lol:
Ewokguy15
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:38 am

MonaBlissa wrote:I hate that their second cd fizzled after the first hit single. They had other good songs.
I agree, "You Don't Know" is amazing!
The love be so fake, but the hate be so real...
GetBack
Legend

Postby Controlfreak » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Recently reunited at the Soul Train Award
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Controlfreak » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:16 am

Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Strat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:35 am

The No Doubt album >>>
Shame it's not on Spotify.
Strat
Roadie

Postby SholasBoy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:53 am

The singles from the second album were excellent but I was a huge fan of the third album, "Star"/...I'm Wit It...Blah Blah Blah...Star...Come & Knock On My Door...Trouble..

I'd love them to reunite with a new album one day.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby iMacourey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:34 pm

iMacourey
Roadie

Postby GetBack » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:50 am

They were so underrated! Hopefully, the return of girl groups from the nineties (En Vogue, SWV, Xscape, TLC and Destiny's Child) inspired them.
The love be so fake, but the hate be so real...
GetBack
Legend

Postby Controlfreak » Wed May 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Controlfreak
Manager

Postby biscuits » Thu May 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Ooooh great!
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Controlfreak » Sun May 27, 2018 3:24 pm

10 Things To Know About R&B Group, 702, And Their Rise To Fame

This has been the year of reunions for R&B groups. En Vogue released their new album Electric Cafe, Xscap3 dropped their EP Here For It, Destiny’s Child surprised us all with a reunion during Beyoncé’s Coachella set, and now 702 is back. Although the group is not often remembered as much as some of their ’90s counterparts, the singing trio had a huge influence on the culture of R&B music. If you’re unfamiliar with 702, they had ’90s music lovers singing the anti side-chick anthem “Where My Girls At?” or in their feelings telling their spouses to “Get It Together.”

Some of your favorite R&B singers were influenced and inspired by their music. In a 2014 NPR interview, Solange Knowles reflected on the group’s influence by saying, “I know that there’s no way to really explain the emotional and physical and mental reaction when you’re at a party in seventh grade and a 702 record comes on.” Their music, often mid-tempo jams, struck the perfect balance between soulful pop and mature fun.

Now that the trio is preparing to head out on tour this year, here’s what every millennial should know about the R&B girl group.
1. 702’s Origin

While in high school at the Las Vegas Academy of Arts, Irish Grinstead, Kameelah Williams, and Lemisha Grinstead formed 702, one of the most successful R&B groups of the ’90s. Originally, the group was a quartet before Orish Grinstead, Irish’s twin sister (who passed away in 2008), decided to leave the group. Despite her departure, her vocals can still be heard on the group’s debut album.
2. About Their Big Break

Irish, Orish, and Lemisha Grinstead were determined to have their talents noticed. Before their classmate Kameelah Williams joined, the sisters often performed in the lobby of Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas before major events. One day, they auditioned for comedian Sinbad who encouraged them to go to Atlanta to participate in Jack The Rapper’s music convention for unsigned talent. Reflecting on the experience of the music convention, Lemisha told Billboard in 1997 that the members of 702 “were so young we didn’t know what we were getting ourselves into. But our parents really believed in us and let us go to all of these events.” The Jack the Rapper convention would become the group’s big break. Under the direction of Sinbad, they called themselves “Sweeter Than Sugar” and won second place in the music competition.
3. From Sweeter Than Sugar To 702

Although the ladies did not win the talent showcase in Atlanta, they caught the eye of Michael Bivins, who was a member of New Edition, Bell Biv Devoe, and the mastermind behind the career of Boyz II Men. After an impromptu audition for the music mogul, he signed them on the spot to Biv 10 Records. After hearing them sing, Bivins stated “he had found his Supremes.” In preparing them for commercial success, Bivins changed the group’s name from Sweeter Than Sugar to 702, which is Las Vegas’ area code. They also made their debut on Subway’s “This Lil’ Game We Play” in 1995, which was a Top 20 Billboard hit. The commercial success of the record helped launch their career.
4. The Big Leagues: Motown Records

702 first signed to Biv 10 Records and Motown through a joint venture deal. The group released three studio albums; No Doubt (1996), 702 (1998), and Star (2003) and experienced the type of commercial success that made them a household name in the ’90s and early 2000s. The group had four singles reach the Top 40 on the Billboard Hot 100, with two singles, “Get It Together,” and “Where My Girls At?” peaking in the Top 10. Their debut album, No Doubt, was certified Gold by the RIAA in November 1997 while their self-titled album 702 was certified Platinum in November 2002. The group sold millions of records before they disbanded in the mid-2000s.
5. “Get It Together”

No Doubt hit the airwaves on October 8, 1996. The album debuted at No. 82 on the Billboard 200, No. 1 on the U.S. HeatSeekers chart, and No. 24 on the Billboard Top R&B Albums chart. The second single, “Get It Together,” became the album’s standout track. It dominated the charts throughout 1997, peaking at No. 10 on the Billboard Hot 100, No. 3 on the R&B charts, and No. 7 on the U.S. Rhythmic Top 40 chart. The single went on to sell 800,000 copies in 1997, prompting Billboard to name it one of the best selling records of that year. The RIAA certified the single Gold on April 1, 1997, less than three months after its release. The song, written by Donell Jones, not only provided 702 with a hit record, but it also helped launch Jones’ career as an up and coming R&B singer and songwriter.
6. Cousin Skeeter And The Longevity Of “Steelo”

While “Get It Together” dominated the airwaves, 702’s lead single “Steelo” was not only a hit record but also re-fashioned into a Nickelodeon theme song. The song was certified Gold on February 28, 1997, and reached No. 32 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. 12 on the Top R&B charts. While fans may remember listening to the Missy Elliott penned track on the radio or by watching the video, 702 recorded an alternate version for Bill Bellamy’s Nickelodeon show Cousin Skeeter, which starred Meagan Good and Robert Ri’chard. If you’re a millennial, chances are you were singing along to 702 while watching that popular show. Throughout the 90s, 702 made guest appearances on TV favorites such as Moesha and Sister, Sister.

Their song, “He Rules,” also found placement on 1999’s Stuart Little soundtrack.
7. “Where My Girls At?”

If 702 dropped “Where My Girls At?” today, I guarantee it would still be a hit. The song’s beat and chorus are so infectious that you have to rewind it multiple times to fully experience the joy the track exudes. The latter is why the song is 702’s most commercially successful song to date. Written by Missy Elliott, the track was originally intended for TLC’s Fan Mail album. After the group passed on the track, 702 recorded it and the rest became history. “Where My Girls At?” was one of 1999’s biggest selling singles with over 600,000 units sold. The track peaked at No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100, No. 3 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop charts, and No. 1 on the Billboard Rhythmic charts. For over four months, the song remained in the Billboard Top 20, making it one of the most played songs of 1999. The song was not just popular in the United States; it impacted the charts in Canada, Belgium, France, Germany, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Scotland, Sweden, and Switzerland. Due to the popularity of the song, 702 was asked to sing “Where My Girls At?” to begin the 1999 WNBA season. The song helped catapult the ensemble’s career and ranked as the 46th best song by a girl group of all time by Billboard.
8. The Star Era Crafted By Pharrell And The Neptunes

After the success of their self-titled sophomore album, the group took a hiatus before the release of their third studio album, Star in 2003. The album debuted at No. 45 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums roster and No. 22 on the Top R&B Albums chart. While Star did not perform as commercially well as the group’s previous discography, Pharrell Williams wrote several of the songs on the album and The Neptunes produced its two lead singles: the title track featuring The Clipse and “I Still Love You.” In a 2004 interview with The Washington Post, Pharrell listed 702’s “I Still Love You’’ as one of his top ten songs because “it takes him on an emotional ride.” This may be one of the reasons “I Still Love You” is often listed as one of 702’s best songs even though it didn’t reach the same heights as the other tracks in the group’s discography. The song was also featured on the soundtrack of the movie Empire that starred John Leguizamo, Treach from Naughty by Nature, and Fat Joe.
9. The Sample History Of “All I Want”

The third single off of 702’s first album was 1997’s “All I Want.” The song was the promotional single for Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell’s classic comedy film, Good Burger. The track sampled The Jackson 5’s “It’s Great To Be Here” song off of their 1971 album, Maybe Tomorrow. The song was a Top 40 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 and peaked at No. 35 on the chart. Fun Fact: the song was later sampled by J. Lo in 2002 for her No. 1 Hot 100 hit “I’m Real” featuring Ja Rule and Ashanti. You can listen to the similarities here.
10. Life After 702 And The Reunion Tour

Kameelah Williams, the group’s lead singer, remained more visible than the other members due to her solo career and television stint. She went on to work with artists such as Macy Gray and Raphael Saadiq. In 2014, she joined the cast of R&B Divas Atlanta and also became an advocate for autism awareness after her son Zac, with fellow singer Musiq Soulchild, was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder in 2013. Although we have not seen much of Irish and Lemisha Grinstead in the media, similar to many music groups, 702 disbanded so that they could all focus on other aspects of their lives and solo careers.

Now, if you never had the chance to get your entire life at a 702 show, you will finally have the opportunity to live out your ’90s dreams. In November 2017, the group reunited for the first time to perform at the Soul Train Music Awards, which prompted whispers of a reunion similar to that of their peers Xscape (now Xscap3) and SWV. Although the last time 702 released new music was in the early 2000s, the group decided to reunite and go on tour in the upcoming year, giving fans the chance to relive their greatest hits or experience them new for the first time.
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Controlfreak » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:27 am

Airs June 17
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby biscuits » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:53 am

biscuits
The Diva

Postby Goldmoney » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:00 am

Yasssssss

What a bunch of hoodrats tho. :lol: