Feedback
30%
No Sleeep
14%
Made For Now
5%

Total votes : 76

Postby NothingFails » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:58 am

but surely the fact she had ten #1's in the US should account for a lack of UK #1's?
NothingFails
Legend

Postby iMacourey » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:04 am

I find it baffling that none of her RN1814 singles made the Top 10 in the UK! :o

Still, 17 Top 10's is a very impressive record.
iMacourey
Roadie

Postby biscuits » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:09 am

18 if we include TBTILAF twice for both chart runs.

Although that would mean Mariah has has 10 top 10 hits in the past decade :lol:
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Bojan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:08 am

iMacourey wrote:I find it baffling that none of her RN1814 singles made the Top 10 in the UK! :o

Still, 17 Top 10's is a very impressive record.
Plus 33 Top 20 singles.

"Again" cover on their website, though. :lol:

JanetShe is literally, every artist's favorite artist. She is forever trending. We are living in a Janet Nation. Every day we feel her impact.
Bojan
Manager

Postby biscuits » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:14 am

Together Again
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Bojan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:43 am

Janet actually had more Top 20 hits in the UK than many notable artists, like George Michael, Robbie Williams, Britney Spears, Beyonce, Celine Dion, Prince, Rihanna, Mariah Carey... I was just checking and I wasn't expecting that at all.
JanetShe is literally, every artist's favorite artist. She is forever trending. We are living in a Janet Nation. Every day we feel her impact.
Bojan
Manager

Postby biscuits » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:49 am

She has more than Rihanna?

I count 40 for her
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Bojan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:52 am

Oh, you're right. Rihanna had more. Janet 33, Rihanna 39 I think. My mistake. :lol:

All those features, though. If we would exclude them Janet would have much more.

She had more Top 20s than Whitney too, btw. Whitney also had 17 Top 10s. If we talk about the Big 5 divas, Janet is the only one without a number one single, but she had more Top 20s than any of them, except Madonna of course.

Top 10s
1. Madonna
2. Mariah
3. Janet, Whitney
4. Celine

Top 20s
1. Madonna
2. Janet
3. Mariah
4. Whitney
5. Celine

Top 75s
Madonna 75
Janet 42
Mariah 41
Whithey 39
Celine 29
Bojan
Manager

Postby biscuits » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:23 am

I’ll post this in the Unpopular Opinions thread later :lol:
biscuits
The Diva

Postby TIfan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:25 am

She is like the James Brown of UK.... No #1 singles with all of those hit, but a true legend regardless.
TIfan
Legend

Postby Bojan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:47 am

Bojan
Manager

Postby red3269 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:06 pm

Bojan wrote:Oh, you're right. Rihanna had more. Janet 33, Rihanna 39 I think. My mistake. :lol:

All those features, though. If we would exclude them Janet would have much more.

She had more Top 20s than Whitney too, btw. Whitney also had 17 Top 10s. If we talk about the Big 5 divas, Janet is the only one without a number one single, but she had more Top 20s than any of them, except Madonna of course.

Top 10s
1. Madonna
2. Mariah
3. Janet, Whitney
4. Celine

Top 20s
1. Madonna
2. Janet
3. Mariah
4. Whitney
5. Celine

Top 75s
Madonna 75
Janet 42
Mariah 41
Whithey 39
Celine 29
Quite impressive...looking at this, how could anyone claim that she's unknown in the UK when 42 of her songs charted in the Top 75 of the british charts? To compare, she has 40 entries in the Hot 100 in the US charts.
red3269
Manager

Postby biscuits » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:20 pm

We should be due some haters any minute now to try and devalue this
biscuits
The Diva

Postby NothingFails » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:22 pm

I'm always baffled at the people who try and claim Janet's career in the UK is comparable to Kylie's stateside. Kylie had two top 10 singles roughly 15 years apart (The Locomotion and CGYOOMH), only one platinum album and is largely relegated to a niche act who has a large gay following but essentially is a non-entity stateside with only a very small amount of success. Janet otoh may not have reached her US level of fame in the UK but she's certainly had enough hits that she deserves to be treated as much more than she is.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby iMacourey » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:51 pm

For some reason here in the UK, more so than anywhere else it seems, people just can't get over the fact that she's Michael Jackson's little sister and are therefore always quick to downplay her success.
iMacourey
Roadie

Postby Westen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:06 pm

Bojan wrote:Top 75s
Madonna 75
I can't ignore this stat because 60 out of those 75 went top 10 :lol:
Westen
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:12 pm

^ ugh.. this s**t is why Janet fans give me shit because they really believe its impossible to be a fan of both artists because Madonna fans always love to belittle Janet's accomplishments next to hers or Michael's.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:16 pm

Well, the mailman was really nice to me today. Got the Velvet Rope vinyl I bought off discogs as well as Damita Jo and 20 Y.O. which I decided to go ahead and get to finish my Janet collection on vinyl (still waiting on janet. to come from the UK)

NothingFails
Legend

Postby Bojan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:13 pm

Musically, Madonna and Janet are incomparable artists. It's like comparing Britney and Beyonce. The only connection between them were controversies, spectacular shows and innovative music videos. Janet's music was always less commercial and mainstream than music by other four divas. That being said, Janet achievements were surprisingly big. She was using her visuals to sell something Europeans wouldn't buy. Europe was into melodic dance and pop music, Janet's success was exceptional.

NothingFails wrote:I'm always baffled at the people who try and claim Janet's career in the UK is comparable to Kylie's stateside. Kylie had two top 10 singles roughly 15 years apart (The Locomotion and CGYOOMH), only one platinum album and is largely relegated to a niche act who has a large gay following but essentially is a non-entity stateside with only a very small amount of success. Janet otoh may not have reached her US level of fame in the UK but she's certainly had enough hits that she deserves to be treated as much more than she is.
I love Kylie but I think that Janet sold more records in Europe.
Bojan
Manager

Postby Westen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Bojan wrote:Musically, Madonna and Janet are incomparable artists. It's like comparing Britney and Beyonce. The only connection between them were controversies, spectacular shows and innovative music videos. Janet's music was always less commercial and mainstream than music by other four divas. That being said, Janet achievements were surprisingly big. She was using her visuals to sell something Europeans wouldn't buy. Europe was into melodic dance and pop music, Janet's success was exceptional.
Yes they are comparable.
Janet's music wasn't less commercial. She was pop artist. Not Bjork or Kate Bush.
Westen
Legend

Postby Bojan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Not Bjork but not Madonna or Kylie either. Somewhere in-between and it's incomparable because it's unpopular music genre in Europe. Especially in the '90s and in the '80s and even today. Beyonce knows that very well. The other difference is that Madonna was always following trends in music, doing what's popular and she's still doing that, whilst Janet was starting trends and risking.
Bojan
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 pm

To be fair, when Madonna and Janet were being most compared, Madonna was putting stuff like Erotica and Ray Of Light out... a far cry from Material Girl and Lucky Star.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Westen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:38 pm

Bojan wrote:Not Bjork but not Madonna or Kylie either. Somewhere in-between and it's incomparable because it's unpopular music genre in Europe. Especially in the '90s and in the '80s and even today. Beyonce knows that very well. The other difference is that Madonna was always following trends in music, doing what's popular and she's still doing that, whilst Janet was starting trends and risking.
You're full of sh*t.
Westen
Legend

Postby Bojan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Me? It's otherwise. Everything I wrote is true but you don't have to deal with it if you can't.

NothingFails wrote:To be fair, when Madonna and Janet were being most compared, Madonna was putting stuff like Erotica and Ray Of Light out... a far cry from Material Girl and Lucky Star.
Yes, but she already established herself in Europe with songs like Material Girl, Into the Groove, La Isla Bonita etc. Janet never had that type of music. But I agree with you, reading latest reviews on Pitchfork or elsewhere I see Janet and Madonna being mentioned in them. For instance, some claim that Erotica was an inspiration for Janet's sexy image and that The Velvet Rope was an inspiration to Madonna for Ray of Light. If so, I'm glad they inspired each other because the results were great. :lol:
Bojan
Manager

Postby Westen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:46 pm

Bojan wrote:Me? It's otherwise. Everything I wrote is true but you don't have to deal with it if you can't.
It's not. It's opinion of biased stan of one and hater of other one :lol:
Westen
Legend

Return to General Artists Discussion