Janet Jackson

Moderators: tdc2000, stevyy, Benjamin

 

Favourite Videos (Part 3)

Doesn't Really Matter
18
12%
All For You
29
19%
Someone To Call My Lover
13
8%
Son of a Gun (feat. Missy Elliott)
20
13%
Feel It Boy
0
No votes
Just a Little While
2
1%
I Want You
5
3%
All Nite (Don't Stop)
23
15%
Call On Me (feat. Nelly)
3
2%
So Excited (feat. Khia)
3
2%
Feedback
11
7%
Rock With U
10
6%
Make Me
2
1%
Nothing
0
No votes
No Sleeep
10
6%
Dammn Baby
5
3%
 
Total votes : 154

Postby TIfan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:38 pm

RayRay wrote:I'm from Europe. And Control, Rhythm Nation 1814, janet. and The Velvet Rope were huge albums here.
As were the singles.

Beyonce may have sold more albums with less albums (which makes sense as Janet's later and early albums didn't sell well), but her era's were never as huge as Janet's.
I know Europe, but where?
TIfan
Legend
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008

Postby Bojan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:40 pm

TIfan wrote:
Bojan wrote:She didn't sell more than Janet, though. Janet had 3 albums sold in over 2 million in Europe, Beyonce one.
DIL and IASF both sold over 2.7 million in Europe. More than any Janet album. Also, remember Janet came from a climate where album sales were at a peak. Her biggest seller in Europe is like 2.4 million.
But she needs one more I think.
Janet 2.5M
TVR 2.5M
DOAD 2.2M
RN 1M
CONTROL 1M
AFY 1M

TIfan wrote:
RayRay wrote:I'm from Europe. And Control, Rhythm Nation 1814, janet. and The Velvet Rope were huge albums here.
As were the singles.

Beyonce may have sold more albums with less albums (which makes sense as Janet's later and early albums didn't sell well), but her era's were never as huge as Janet's.
I know Europe, but where?
Where it matters. Not Bulgaria, Slovakia, Estonia. :lol:

She was big in the Netherlands, UK, Germany, Belgium, Denmark... Where you actually could sell records.
User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 2121
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby Wayne » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:50 pm

TIfan wrote:
Bojan wrote:She didn't sell more than Janet, though. Janet had 3 albums sold in over 2 million in Europe, Beyonce one.
DIL and IASF both sold over 2.7 million in Europe. More than any Janet album. Also, remember Janet came from a climate where album sales were at a peak. Her biggest seller in Europe is like 2.4 million.
I would argue that the climate is irrelevant - you only have to look at the decline Mariah saw in Europe from Daydream to Butterfly and the (relative) lack of success that acts like Toni Braxton saw in Europe to understand that there was little appetite for R&B music by female artists as far as album sales go in Europe back in the 90s.

I reckon Janet has sold between 12-13m albums in Europe, which is a fine total.
User avatar
Wayne
Administrator
 
Posts: 46790
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006
Location: United Kingdom

Postby TIfan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:55 pm

We are in a different climate. The chances of Bey getting another 2 million seller is next to none. But none of Janet albums have outsold DIL or IASF in Europe, which are bother at 2.7-2.8 million in Europe. As a matter of fact, she has not even had a number one single or million seller in UK, which is the biggest European market for music. Bey has 2 albums to pass 1 million, 5 #1 singles, and 3 #1 albums in UK.

Her latest "Lemonade" only sold 650,000 in Europe which is a 400k decline from previous album, but look at the climate, and look at her tour. Sold out completely in countries she did not even sell Gold. Beyonce is like Tina Turner in Europe (of course minus Germany), meaning that she has great record sells, but her legacy is more about the stage in Europe than everything else.

Beyonce is simply bigger there. Doesn't mean Janet was not big. Janet came from the biggest album selling era ever, and she only sold around 11 million albums. Whitney outdid that with The Bodyguard alone. Even Whitney's most R&B album in the 90s MLIYL sold well over 4 million in Europe.

Only Alicia Key's debut sold more in Europe when it comes to non-European R&B albums in the 00s. Janet did very well in Europe, and if anyone knows me, they know I will tell the world that Janet is an international icon, but I truly do not believe she was at the same level as Beyonce in Europe.
TIfan
Legend
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008

Postby Bojan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:14 am

But is 2.5M, 2.7M or even 3M if you want a big difference? I mean, we were talking about the reason Janet is not having sales in Europe like Celine or Madonna. The same goes for Beyonce. Sales were still high in the early 2000s, but DIL sold much closer to Janet's highest selling albums in Europe than Celine's or Madonna's, even in 2000s (Music 5 million, Confessions 4 million). That was the point. 200,000 copies more or less... I mean... C'monn! :lol:

I already said it's unfair to compare Beyonce's latest albums because the sales are much lower now. But it's also unfair to Janet too because that urban sound is more popular in Europe now than it was in the 90s.

BTW....

Image
User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 2121
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby TIfan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:05 am

Bojan wrote:But is 2.5M, 2.7M or even 3M if you want a big difference? I mean, we were talking about the reason Janet is not having sales in Europe like Celine or Madonna. The same goes for Beyonce. Sales were still high in the early 2000s, but DIL sold much closer to Janet's highest selling albums in Europe than Celine's or Madonna's, even in 2000s (Music 5 million, Confessions 4 million). That was the point. 200,000 copies more or less... I mean... C'monn! :lol:

I already said it's unfair to compare Beyonce's latest albums because the sales are much lower now. But it's also unfair to Janet too because that urban sound is more popular in Europe now than it was in the 90s.

BTW....

Image
Music and Confessions are Pop albums. Very pop. From the Queen of Pop and the Queen of Europe. So that comparison is out the door. :lol: :lol: :lol:
TIfan
Legend
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008

Postby TIfan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:07 am

TIfan wrote:
Bojan wrote:But is 2.5M, 2.7M or even 3M if you want a big difference? I mean, we were talking about the reason Janet is not having sales in Europe like Celine or Madonna. The same goes for Beyonce. Sales were still high in the early 2000s, but DIL sold much closer to Janet's highest selling albums in Europe than Celine's or Madonna's, even in 2000s (Music 5 million, Confessions 4 million). That was the point. 200,000 copies more or less... I mean... C'monn! :lol:

I already said it's unfair to compare Beyonce's latest albums because the sales are much lower now. But it's also unfair to Janet too because that urban sound is more popular in Europe now than it was in the 90s.

BTW....

Image
Music and Confessions are Pop albums. Very pop. From the Queen of Pop and the Queen of Europe. So that comparison is out the door. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Heck. Those two albums outsold all of Britney's first two albums in Europe and she was the biggest selling female pop star of the 00s :lol:
TIfan
Legend
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008

Postby Bojan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:01 am

That comparison is the answer to your question. Both Janet and Beyonce are selling less in Europe than elsewhere because of their musical style, not because of the length of their albums. That would clearly affect their sales in America too, not only in Europe. :lol:
User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 2121
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby Bojan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:21 am

Image
User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 2121
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby red3269 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:16 am

Bojan wrote:But is 2.5M, 2.7M or even 3M if you want a big difference? I mean, we were talking about the reason Janet is not having sales in Europe like Celine or Madonna. The same goes for Beyonce. Sales were still high in the early 2000s, but DIL sold much closer to Janet's highest selling albums in Europe than Celine's or Madonna's, even in 2000s (Music 5 million, Confessions 4 million). That was the point. 200,000 copies more or less... I mean... C'monn! :lol:

I already said it's unfair to compare Beyonce's latest albums because the sales are much lower now. But it's also unfair to Janet too because that urban sound is more popular in Europe now than it was in the 90s.

BTW....

Image
Who are they?
red3269
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014

Postby QueenMadonna » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:32 am

Bojan wrote: Janet was as huge as Beyonce in Europe.
I'm from Latin America and here nobody knows Janet, but Beyoncé has been a phenomenon since DIL 2003. I guess that outside of US, Janet is only recognized like MJ's sister.
Last edited by QueenMadonna on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
QueenMadonna
Groupie
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017

Postby Wayne » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:33 am

QueenMadonna wrote:
Bojan wrote: Janet was as huge as Beyonce in Europe.
I from Latin American and here nobody knows Janet, but Beyoncé has been a phenomenon since DIL 2003. I guess that outside of US, Janet is only recognized like MJ's sister.
Can we please not make inflammatory statements like this? It's clearly not a fair and true statement.
User avatar
Wayne
Administrator
 
Posts: 46790
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006
Location: United Kingdom

Postby hellohello » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:22 pm

QueenMadonna wrote:
Bojan wrote: Janet was as huge as Beyonce in Europe.
I'm from Latin America and here nobody knows Janet, but Beyoncé has been a phenomenon since DIL 2003. I guess that outside of US, Janet is only recognized like MJ's sister.
Instead of spreading lies, do your research. You just sound like a troll. :roll:
Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney
User avatar
hellohello
Manager
 
Posts: 4417
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005
Location: Love On the Brain

Postby BlueScorpion » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:48 pm

She's such a bossy! 8-)

User avatar
BlueScorpion
Manager
 
Posts: 4914
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011
Location: Portugal - Porto

Postby jochen » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:07 pm

hellohello wrote:
QueenMadonna wrote:
Bojan wrote: Janet was as huge as Beyonce in Europe.
I'm from Latin America and here nobody knows Janet, but Beyoncé has been a phenomenon since DIL 2003. I guess that outside of US, Janet is only recognized like MJ's sister.
Instead of spreading lies, do your research. You just sound like a troll. :roll:
Janet.i my Memory she was a worldstar in the 90s.
I never saw Beyonce like that.

Shes just a r&b/hip hop successful American celeb.
Janet was pop and commercial and just a huge star.

Alll for you sucked.
No hit Singles. That was the main reason.
Not one single song that could have been a Smash here
YOU cant blame nobody but YOU
User avatar
jochen
Manager
 
Posts: 2111
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008
Location: Germany, Hannover

Postby TIfan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:13 pm

Jochen,where are you from? All 4 U the single was a smash worldwide.
TIfan
Legend
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008

Postby biscuits » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:33 pm

jochen wrote:
hellohello wrote:
QueenMadonna wrote:
Bojan wrote: Janet was as huge as Beyonce in Europe.
I'm from Latin America and here nobody knows Janet, but Beyoncé has been a phenomenon since DIL 2003. I guess that outside of US, Janet is only recognized like MJ's sister.
Instead of spreading lies, do your research. You just sound like a troll. :roll:
Janet.i my Memory she was a worldstar in the 90s.
I never saw Beyonce like that.

Shes just a r&b/hip hop successful American celeb.
Janet was pop and commercial and just a huge star.

Alll for you sucked.
No hit Singles. That was the main reason.
Not one single song that could have been a Smash here
You’re such a troll
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 40780
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby Pawlu84 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:56 pm

WTF here in Europe DRM, AFY and STCML were all huge airplay, even SOAG was played quite alot.
Pawlu84
Manager
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011

Postby RayRay » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:01 pm

@TIfan, I am from the Netherlands and Jochen is from Germany. You can see it underneath our avatar. :wink:
User avatar
RayRay
Superstar
 
Posts: 6367
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby aaliyahman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:17 pm

Can we not just appreciate Janet. Ffs this is ridiculous constant comparisons. Janet looks half her age, is on an amazing tour. Let’s appreciate her in an era when her peers are dropping like flies.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
User avatar
aaliyahman
Superstar
 
Posts: 9499
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006

Postby hellohello » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:05 pm

aaliyahman wrote:Can we not just appreciate Janet. Ffs this is ridiculous constant comparisons. Janet looks half her age, is on an amazing tour. Let’s appreciate her in an era when her peers are dropping like flies.
Exactly let's just appreciate Janet in her thread. I don't mind the comparisons but it seems to turn into arguments most of the time. I love Beyoncé as much as I love Janet. Both artists are incredible and both admire each other's talent and let's just leave it at that.
Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney
User avatar
hellohello
Manager
 
Posts: 4417
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005
Location: Love On the Brain

Postby BlueScorpion » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:11 pm

hellohello wrote:
aaliyahman wrote:Can we not just appreciate Janet. Ffs this is ridiculous constant comparisons. Janet looks half her age, is on an amazing tour. Let’s appreciate her in an era when her peers are dropping like flies.
Exactly let's just appreciate Janet in her thread. I don't mind the comparisons but it seems to turn into arguments most of the time. I love Beyoncé as much as I love Janet. Both artists are incredible and both admire each other's talent and let's just leave it at that.
User avatar
BlueScorpion
Manager
 
Posts: 4914
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011
Location: Portugal - Porto

Postby TIfan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:26 am

You guys think she will promote for her next era?
TIfan
Legend
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008

Postby Bojan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:36 am

I think she will. She's already unusually active.
User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 2121
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby TIfan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:45 am

Since she is somewhat independent, the IDC attitude she had during the Unbreakable tour needs to officially be gone. There are so many ways of promoting. Every single diva that had a big tour within this last decade has had multiple televised performances. Janet is a legend, so getting to the award shows should definitely be easy. I believe one performance would do wonders for her tours. Hell, even Sade's private ass promoted.
TIfan
Legend
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008

Return to General Artists Discussion