Janet Jackson

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, Benjamin, bm08

 

Which album do you prefer?

Rhythm Nation 1814
14
33%
The Velvet Rope
29
67%
 
Total votes : 43

Postby jochen » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:44 am

Doesnt look good yes
YOU cant blame nobody but YOU
User avatar
jochen
Manager
 
Posts: 4471
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008
Location: Germany, Hannover

Postby Bojan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:09 pm

Marchum wrote:Modern church lady realness
I think that people, wrongly, associate not having a class to being sexual. You can be very sexual and classy at the same time, and Janet was classy indeed during the '80s and the '90s. She wasn't vulgar, she was sexy and sensual, no matter how explicit some lyrics were, and she had manners. Even "Throb" was classy.

JanetShe is literally, every artist's favorite artist. She is forever trending. We are living in a Janet Nation. Every day we feel her impact.
User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 3438
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby CanYouKeepUp » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:27 am

Throb wasn’t classy. It was a good song but ‘DJ make me wet’ is not classy. Lmao. As a Janet fan I can admit that. It’s pure dirt.
CanYouKeepUp
Manager
 
Posts: 2627
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005

Postby lovedeluxe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Throb is everything. I'm shocked it was one of the tracks to chart on Hot 100 Airplay the week the album was released!

Back when album tracks charted on radio.

Her album-tracks history for the "janet." era is probably the most impressive out of the pop majors of the time. (And since R&B airplay was never included in the Hot 100 until December 1998 all of those records would have been ever higher on Hot 100 Airplay!)

R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay
And On and One #12
70's Love Groove #45
Where Are You Now #66
New Agenda #66

Hot 100 Airplay
Where Are You Now #30
And On and On #38
Throb #66
User avatar
lovedeluxe
Roadie
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017

Postby beredy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Throb isn't bad musically, but I get bored of the song after 1 minute. Too repetitive.
User avatar
beredy
Manager
 
Posts: 4060
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010
Location: Croatia

Postby lovedeluxe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:18 pm

It's all about dancing! I listen to it so much now!
User avatar
lovedeluxe
Roadie
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017

Postby RayRay » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:19 pm

CanYouKeepUp wrote:Throb wasn’t classy. It was a good song but ‘DJ make me wet’ is not classy. Lmao. As a Janet fan I can admit that. It’s pure dirt.
beredy wrote:Throb isn't bad musically, but I get bored of the song after 1 minute. Too repetitive.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 13029
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby biscuits » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:26 am

4 weeks until I see her in Tokyo!

I hope she keeps 'When We Oooo'. I'll be in tears if I see her perform that.
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 48341
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby Pawlu84 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:08 am

I love Throb i never understood what its said after DJ make me wet is it Slippery wet Yes?.
Pawlu84
Manager
 
Posts: 3048
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011

Postby RayRay » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:12 am

biscuits wrote:4 weeks until I see her in Tokyo!
Lucky you! :D

How many times have you seen her already?
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 13029
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby biscuits » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:25 am

This will be my 2nd time. I saw her in London in 2011

She hasn’t been in rehearsals so I guess there won’t be any new material in Tokyo, except she could include Made For Now
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 48341
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby Bojan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:26 pm

JanetShe is literally, every artist's favorite artist. She is forever trending. We are living in a Janet Nation. Every day we feel her impact.
User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 3438
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby RayRay » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:24 pm

^ Love that! They were my dance idols. So much love for them.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 13029
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby SmartIsNewSexy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:36 am



video compilation

runaway and call on me are missing.

I expected this to be longer. in comparison, Mariah has released more videos/singles
"Music starts with M and ends with C"

Mariah Carey
User avatar
SmartIsNewSexy
Legend
 
Posts: 21806
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010

Postby biscuits » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:52 am

So Excited is also missing. I guess they just used whatever videos are available on US YouTube, hence the remix of STCML too.

And yeah, Mariah has released 15 studio albums while Janet has only released 11 (and the first two had just one video between them)
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 48341
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby Gravity » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:17 pm

Mariah used to complain how Janet gets 7 singles from her albums while she barely gets two.
Floped and localed
User avatar
Gravity
R&B Junkie
 
Posts: 11276
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016
Location: Luxurious Undergrind

Postby biscuits » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:37 pm

Cos Janet is the best
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 48341
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby biscuits » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:31 pm

She should perform 'Every Time' in Tokyo, it's one of her most popular songs here.

And I think she should probably cut back on the more political songs when she's here, like Skin Games and What About.

Anything from AFY and RN1814 should be fine, as those albums were huge in Japan.
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 48341
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby Yoshie » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:18 pm

I'm here for Every Time being performed. :D One of her most vulnerable, sincere and beautiful ballads.
Yoshie
Legend
 
Posts: 23762
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006

Postby TIfan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:29 pm

When it comes to the big artist of the 80s/90s, Janet seemed to have the best contracts. Virgin gave her everything she wanted.
User avatar
TIfan
Legend
 
Posts: 12260
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008

Postby RayRay » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:52 pm

Gravity wrote:Mariah used to complain how Janet gets 7 singles from her albums while she barely gets two.
Although I loved how Janet had albums full of singles, I prefer Mariah releasing more albums and so giving us more songs.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 13029
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby TIfan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:06 pm

RayRay wrote:
Gravity wrote:Mariah used to complain how Janet gets 7 singles from her albums while she barely gets two.
Although I loved how Janet had albums full of singles, I prefer Mariah releasing more albums and so giving us more songs.
I think Mariah was required to be in the studio alot more, in which she probably is proud of herself nowadays, but back in the day, she more than likely could not stand it.

That could be a reason why she preferred to have long eras instead of shorter ones.
User avatar
TIfan
Legend
 
Posts: 12260
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008

Postby ccadavi1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:04 pm

biscuits wrote:So Excited is also missing. I guess they just used whatever videos are available on US YouTube, hence the remix of STCML too.

And yeah, Mariah has released 15 studio albums while Janet has only released 11 (and the first two had just one video between them)
I want you is also missing + The Best things in life are free
Donna Summer / Janet Jackson / Tina Turner / Toni Braxton / Billie Holiday
User avatar
ccadavi1
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011
Location: Medellín, Colombia

Postby biscuits » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:53 pm

I Want You is there
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 48341
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby GetBack » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:27 am

TIfan wrote:
RayRay wrote:
Gravity wrote:Mariah used to complain how Janet gets 7 singles from her albums while she barely gets two.
Although I loved how Janet had albums full of singles, I prefer Mariah releasing more albums and so giving us more songs.
I think Mariah was required to be in the studio alot more, in which she probably is proud of herself nowadays, but back in the day, she more than likely could not stand it.

That could be a reason why she preferred to have long eras instead of shorter ones.
Tommoy Mottola strategized the release of Mariah singles. It was always #1 or nothing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
GetBack
Legend
 
Posts: 31053
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010

Return to General Artists Discussion