Moderators: tdc2000, Benjamin, stevyy

Postby sambo9 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:23 pm

MARY J. BLIGE

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Discuss this incredible woman's career in here. :)
sambo9
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:23 pm

Go on then - you start :P
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby sambo9 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:30 pm

Okay! :P

Well, I own nearly all of her albums, and I think her progression as an artist has been incredible. I think the attitude and emotions she puts into her material is something you rarely find.

I particularly love her last two albums - "The Breakthrough" and "Growing Pains". They're both so classy, so slick and so fresh. I do love a lot of her 90s records as well.

My favourite albums of hers are:

1) Growing Pains
2) The Breakthrough
3) My Life
4) Share My World
5) Mary

I love her so much. I'd give so much to see her live.
sambo9
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:51 pm

I will give a in depth review into her career a bit later but for now I'll say that she is a living legend.
She has influenced more R&B/Soul/Hip-Hop artists than any other current artists. So many artists will list Mary as an influence. She is the founder of today's R&B imo.
If it wasn't for her their would be no Monica, Keyshia Cole, Brandy, Estelle etc.

She is someone who I think is underrated on this site.
My favourite albums by her are My Life and Growing Pains. The Breakthrough closely follows!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Dru4life » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:30 pm

So I heard a new song leaked last night from her? And her it is guys...

Info:

"Mary J. Blige has already begun working on her tenth studio album which is due for release during the first quarter of 2011. One the confirmed producers of the project is Swizz Beats. Anyway, here's a new leak in the form of "Breakup To Makeup", reportedly from the recording sessions of this upcoming album. The R&B tune sounds clearly unfinished, but has some potential. Still, not so crazy about it right now as a whole except for the "get you off my mind, can't get you off my mind" part. Check it out.
"
Here's the track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOxeTGaqnhc

It's absolutely amazing and this is the music I want to hear from her on her next album. Urban soulful, taking you way back to the 90#s. Mary is joining Monica Kanye Charlie Wilson, Fantasia in bringing back the old school R&B. 8-)

What do you guys think?
"I can feel it when your holding me close

You're like your one of the world wonders

I know I’m going under..."
Dru4life
Superstar

Postby Thriller » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:31 pm

Mary is severely underrated especially in the UK. I guess she's known but seriously she should be an absolute megastar!
Thriller

Postby sambo9 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:34 pm

Thriller wrote:Mary is severely underrated especially in the UK. I guess she's known but seriously she should be an absolute megastar!
I know. I thought she had success in the bag with the "Stronger In Each Tear" re-release. Very few artists put the effort in to record a handful of new songs specifically designed for the U.K. market, and I don't even think it made the Top 30. The X Factor needs to start persuading more talented acts to perform on their result shows. Mary only needs one performance to show the U.K. just how incredible she is.
sambo9
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:38 pm

Yeah Mary going on The X Factor could do an Alicia Keys for her!
Thriller

Postby Dru4life » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:44 pm

^ You guys are correct. The label need to put it all together with the 10th album. We've watched it slip prior to the breakthrough era. GP should have sold much more and should have been officially certified but Geffen won't pay for it to be certified for some reason.

:cry:

MJB is my 2nd favourite artist/singer of all time. Her voice is amazing and still sounds the same from her debut. When she did the letterman show concert earlier this year I was astounded by her. You can always rely .on Mary for a good performance .

Dru4life
Superstar

Postby Jark » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:57 pm

She was very lucky to get 1.5 million out of Growing Pains in the US since they mucked up the singles spectacularly. The last album was absolute rubbish. I hate that she's doing these boring radio-friendly, dated midtempos all the time. She's definitely fallen far too far into her comfort zone.
Jark
Superstar

Postby Dru4life » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:41 pm

Jark wrote:She was very lucky to get 1.5 million out of Growing Pains in the US since they mucked up the singles spectacularly. The last album was absolute rubbish. I hate that she's doing these boring radio-friendly, dated midtempos all the time. She's definitely fallen far too far into her comfort zone.
Very true. My favourite song from SW/ET was "In The Morning" even that was severely polished down some what.

SW/ET Has went platinum In the states I think, (But has not been certified like GP) so her albums are still doing well even if they are under performing.

Dru4life
Superstar

Postby CrazyCrazy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:52 pm

'No More Drama' is brilliant! I was addicted to 'One' with U2 when it came out, also 'Be Without You' is really great! She is someone who I've meant to check out but have not got around to, I think I will!
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby MJB » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:36 am

An amazing compil of her (unreleased, remix & other...) :D

http://www.maryjeveryday.com/2010/09/confessions-of-real-woman-compilation.html
MJB
Personal Assistant

Postby emilhot » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:26 pm

Interview from last month:
http://www.marthastewart.com/show/the-m ... ry-j-blige

(They talk about the album from around 2:30)

She said the album will be out around Marts! :)
emilhot
Legend

Postby sambo9 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:33 pm

March? I reckon it'll be a little later than that now considering we haven't even heard anything about a lead single.
sambo9
Legend

Postby emilhot » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:49 pm

sambo9 wrote:March? I reckon it'll be a little later than that now considering we haven't even heard anything about a lead single.
I understand what you are saying, but she said it just last month, and it would had been strange to release the single in December! I think the single is coming out this month and the album might be here in March/April! :)

Remember last era The One flopped but the single I Am that led up to the album release was released less than 1,5 month before the album! :wink:

I know it's normal for lead singles to be released to released closer to chrismas, if you are releasing an album for that season! :wink: But i don't think that they will put out a 2nd single before the album! :wink:
emilhot
Legend

Postby PosziMC2 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:56 pm

Can't wait!

I just started to discover her music :wink:
P=MC2's Top 20
Merci wrote:Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!
PosziMC2
Legend

Postby alxx » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:54 pm

Confirmed to be working with Danja on the new album!
Woo!
alxx
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:37 pm

I am listening to her discography right now! I can't believe how she's not on a worldwide superstar level. I remember seeing her being nominated for Share My World back in 1997 and watching Give Me You back in 1999. her biggest here in Asia would probably be Family Affair and that's it. :-?

So into her music right now. 8-)
GetBack
Legend

Postby PosziMC2 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:45 am

Im listening to "Growing Pains"... it drives me crazy! Very great album! "Nowhere Fast" is a hit.
P=MC2's Top 20
Merci wrote:Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!
PosziMC2
Legend

Postby TheRealest » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:11 pm

I can't wait for her next album. She said it would be like "My Life 2011". I want another song like "Be Happy". 8-)
TheRealest
The Queen

Postby emilhot » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:14 pm

Still no news? :-?
emilhot
Legend

Postby TheRealest » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:36 pm

I still don't know why "The One" flopped. It's such a hot song plus it had Drake! It seemed like a bonafide smash to me but I guess the general public thought differently. :-?
TheRealest
The Queen

Postby SholasBoy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:48 pm

Thriller wrote:Mary is severely underrated especially in the UK. I guess she's known but seriously she should be an absolute megastar!
Haha interesting that you said this back then when I've just said something similar more recently in the current Megastar thread :lol:
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby emilhot » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:07 pm

therealestMC wrote:I still don't know why "The One" flopped. It's such a hot song plus it had Drake! It seemed like a bonafide smash to me but I guess the general public thought differently. :-?
I definitely agree!
emilhot
Legend

Return to General Artists Discussion