Mary J. Blige

Moderators: tdc2000, stevyy, Benjamin

Postby intosoul » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:09 pm

jio wrote:OK I am listening to "Growing Pains" and "My Life 2" for the past fortnight and what I have to say is that I think "Growing Pains" is just 80 minutes of noise. I tried to get into it but I just couldn't, it's just way too long with most songs being way too similar to each other (and not really good) to the extent that they all seemed to blend.

On the other hand I do enjoy "My Life 2" a lot and I didn't really expect it thanks to the reviews and thanks to the fact that I never really liked "25/8". I can also hear the similarities with the first "My Life" in terms of how the album is constructed and flows and although I do feel that it is a very retro sounding album, it doesn't really take us back to the R&B sound of the early 90s when "My Life" made Mary the biggest R&B star in the world but to the pop-R&B sound of the late 90s when P. Diddy was king and which sound Mary more or less missed by doing far more interesting things at the time. So although this album is nowhere near to "My Life 1" or the other 3 90s albums of Mary in terms of quality, it is probably my favorite among her post-90s albums maybe because it sounds so familiar as a whole.
Good gawd, for me it is the other way around. On "Growing Pains' Mary still sounds passionate and inspired. Her vocals on "My Life II" are really bad and overproduced. Just Fine also shits all over that album. HOW could you compare My Life II to the classic first one? :o
intosoul
Superstar

Postby jio » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:16 pm

I dont musically but it has the same structure (ballads in the middle and the obvious hit last). Otherwise I said in terms of quality no comparison lol.
jio
Legend

Postby intosoul » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:17 pm

jio wrote:I dont musically but it has the same structure (ballads in the middle and the obvious hit last). Otherwise I said in terms of quality no comparison lol.
What do you think of the vocals ? :o
intosoul
Superstar

Postby jio » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:28 pm

intosoul wrote:
jio wrote:I dont musically but it has the same structure (ballads in the middle and the obvious hit last). Otherwise I said in terms of quality no comparison lol.
Well tbh I thought the vocals sounded kinda bored not just in "My Life 2" but also in "Growing Pains". I'd agree with you there is a certain passion missing, I am not quite sure if her voice has deteriorated a bit too (but certainly not much). I also can't say if "My Life 2"'s vocals are worse than GP because I really didn't enjoy that album enough to focus on the vocals but they are certainly far worse than in "The Breakthrough". My problem with GP is mainly the music, I have the feeling that she was attempting to sound current in that album by doing songs which would have fitted better in a Beyonce album.
jio
Legend

Postby Pawlu84 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:57 pm

jio wrote:
intosoul wrote:
Well tbh I thought the vocals sounded kinda bored not just in "My Life 2" but also in "Growing Pains". I'd agree with you there is a certain passion missing, I am not quite sure if her voice has deteriorated a bit too (but certainly not much). I also can't say if "My Life 2"'s vocals are worse than GP because I really didn't enjoy that album enough to focus on the vocals but they are certainly far worse than in "The Breakthrough". My problem with GP is mainly the music, I have the feeling that she was attempting to sound current in that album by doing songs which would have fitted better in a Beyonce album.
I love Growing Pains the only song I don't care about is Roses.
Pawlu84
Manager

Postby jio » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:59 pm

I think the worst song in GP is the last one whatever its name is. It sounds totally out of place.
jio
Legend

Postby intosoul » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:01 pm

I love Growing Pains so much. Especially "Work That" which is one of her best songs IMO. And she was vocally on fire!
intosoul
Superstar

Postby jio » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:05 pm

Well just for the record, I also like "Love And Life" much more than "No More Drama" or "Breakthrough" even though that seems to be another album everyone dislikes. I think it has to do more with the kind of music included rather than the vocals. I mean both "Love And Life" and "My Life 2" sound less "current" than her other post-90s' albums so maybe it's that, I don't know.
jio
Legend

Postby intosoul » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:20 pm

jio wrote:I think it has to do more with the kind of music included rather than the vocals.
I peeped that.
You should definitely not buy The London Sessions :lol:
intosoul
Superstar

Postby jio » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:23 pm

intosoul wrote:
jio wrote:I think it has to do more with the kind of music included rather than the vocals.
I peeped that.
I did buy it but that (and "Like A Man 2") didn't arrive yet. I am kinda wondering about that one because on the one hand I love Disclosure, on the other hand British R&B is so much more poppish than American so I don't know how I will feel.
jio
Legend

Postby intosoul » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:25 pm

jio wrote:
intosoul wrote:
I peeped that.
I did buy it but that (and "Like A Man 2") didn't arrive yet. I am kinda wondering about that one because on the one hand I love Disclosure, on the other hand British R&B is so much more poppish than American so I don't know how I will feel.
Maybe you should listen to it with an open mind and forget about labels like British R&B and Pop (no shade intended).
intosoul
Superstar

Postby jio » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:29 pm

intosoul wrote:
jio wrote:
intosoul wrote:
I peeped that.
Maybe you should listen to it with an open mind and forget about labels like British R&B and Pop (no shade intended).
I listen to everything with an open mind man. It's not about labels, it's about how certain songs make you feel. I love pop too (who doesn't anyway?, hello I am a Madonna/Kylie fan lol), but how else can I express what I am wondering about without using "labels".
jio
Legend

Postby jio » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:30 pm

Btw I just realized that 25/8 sounds great with the volume really high
jio
Legend

Postby intosoul » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:31 pm

jio wrote:
I listen to everything with an open mind man. It's not about labels, it's about how certain songs make you feel. I love pop too (who doesn't anyway?, hello I am a Madonna/Kylie fan lol), but how else can I express what I am wondering about without using "labels".
I said no shade intended. No need to be so defensive. Enjoy the album(s) :wink:
intosoul
Superstar

Postby jio » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:33 pm

I didn't think you were shading... it's all good man
jio
Legend

Postby intosoul » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:34 pm

jio wrote:I didn't think you were shading... it's all good man
Cool !!! Lets us know what you think of the album(s) once they arrive.
intosoul
Superstar

Postby Pawlu84 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:35 pm

Love and Life is really underated.it's a shame it was her first "flop"
Pawlu84
Manager

Postby jio » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:07 pm

So which edition of "My Life 2" is better? The European or American?
jio
Legend

Postby Pawlu84 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:24 am

jio wrote:So which edition of "My Life 2" is better? The European or American?
I have the U.K version which includes the following:

You Want This ( very old school)
This Love Is for You ( quite dance my favourite from the bonus tracks)
One Life ( another dance song)
Someone to Love Me (Naked)" (featuring Lil Wayne & Diddy) (this one was released)
Pawlu84
Manager

Postby jio » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 am

Pawlu84 wrote:
I have the U.K version which includes the following:

You Want This ( very old school)
This Love Is for You ( quite dance my favourite from the bonus tracks)
One Life ( another dance song)
Someone to Love Me (Naked)" (featuring Lil Wayne & Diddy) (this one was released)
I got the same. I think its the better version now that I heard the songs from the american one
jio
Legend

Postby intosoul » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:28 pm

I prefer the US version, because it includes 'Get It Right' which sounds like a Share My World track and the beautiful Irreversible. The international bonus tracks are "cute" but I never go back to them.
intosoul
Superstar

Postby jio » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:22 pm

"Think Like A Man 2" arrived this morning (funny those cds managed to all come separately in chronological order since I ordered them all together with the group my items together option) and I've been listening to it in my job's low-quality cd player (3rd time I listen to it today). Can't wait to get home to listen to it with proper sound 'cause it's immediate love this time around.
jio
Legend

Postby jio » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:01 pm

"I Want You">>>>>>
jio
Legend

Postby Controlfreak » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:16 am

Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Gravity » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:21 am

Ouch! :o :lol:
Gravity