Brandy

Moderators: tdc2000, stevyy, Benjamin

Postby biscuits » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:30 am

ThaInfo1 wrote:I really don't feel like the marriage thing did anything against. I mean it made a headline for half a day and that was it :lol:
It kinda ruined her rep I think. And not after it was exposed, but the announcement of marriage and baby itself. She was a teen princess in the 90s and suddenly she's knocked up and married to some random guy. Didn't really go with her image.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby GetBack » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:00 pm

It was mainly because she was outshined by the influx of hotter and younger female R&B artists by the turn of the millennium. Monica suffered the same fate as well, After the Storm was only platinum and The Makings of Me was a huge flop but she turned it around with Still Standing. Brandy's profile, on the other hand, went lower and lower.
GetBack
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:17 pm

She couldn't really do much with the 'Full Moon' era either because of baby
biscuits
The Diva

Postby ThaInfo1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:17 pm

biscuits wrote:She couldn't really do much with the 'Full Moon' era either because of baby
I think this hurt her. Because she didn't start of bad. But her being preggers definitely slowed and prematurely ended the promo for the album.

So I guess this kinda ties in with the whole "marriage" thing.
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby TIfan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:41 pm

I do think the marriage thing played a role. Plus, women like Ashanti, Tweet, Amerie, etc... were having much buzz. Brandy was no longer competing with teenage acts. She was competing with grown women.
TIfan
Legend

Postby Guru » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:02 am

I think the start of the downfall (fans rushing away) was expecting a baby out of marriage (considering she was americas sweetheart and society sadly has this "one normal way" of living life). She was no longer seem as "the innocent virgin" :lol: :oops:

Then there was the fake marriage which again were against societies standards for an American sweetheart.
I thought these 2 events really hurt her professional name.

And her accident was sadly the nail in the coffin for her American career (which was majority of her bread and butter).
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby GetBack » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:46 am

TIfan wrote:Plus, women like Ashanti, Tweet, Amerie, etc... were having much buzz. Brandy was no longer competing with teenage acts. She was competing with grown women.
This was obviously the major factor, Jennifer Lopez, Beyoncé, Ashanti, Ciara, Rihanna and the list goes on with so many female R&B stars that emerged when she was on a hiatus.
GetBack
Legend

Postby TheRealest » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:55 pm

And she had no sex appeal tbh. The new girls were HOT.
TheRealest
The Queen

Postby Controlfreak » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:54 pm

TheRealest wrote:And she had no sex appeal tbh. The new girls were HOT.
Agreed. Always thought of Brandy as cute. That Afrodisiac video was just awkward to watch. Hell, all of the performances from Afrodisiac era were cringe worthy and hard to watch. I did like her 2004 Vibe cover. I thought she was sexy on that.
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby ThaInfo1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:10 pm

Controlfreak wrote:
Agreed. Always thought of Brandy as cute. That Afrodisiac video was just awkward to watch. Hell, all of the performances from Afrodisiac era were cringe worthy and hard to watch. I did like her 2004 Vibe cover. I thought she was sexy on that.
Maybe this was it too! and yes that Vibe shoot was everything. That was her hottest. But everything else was try hard.
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby biscuits » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:12 pm

She was also part of that old school generation who took years to release an album. Full Moon was 4 years after NSN. Maybe she should have released an album in 2001 instead
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Controlfreak » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:26 pm

biscuits wrote:She was also part of that old school generation who took years to release an album. Full Moon was 4 years after NSN. Maybe she should have released an album in 2001 instead
Full Moon was originally set to be release Nov. 2001 I heard
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Controlfreak » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:29 pm

ThaInfo1 wrote:
Controlfreak wrote:
Maybe this was it too! and yes that Vibe shoot was everything. That was her hottest. But everything else was try hard.
All of this.
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby biscuits » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:32 pm

Controlfreak wrote:
biscuits wrote:She was also part of that old school generation who took years to release an album. Full Moon was 4 years after NSN. Maybe she should have released an album in 2001 instead
Full Moon was originally set to be release Nov. 2001 I heard
Would have been good because we'd have had at least one more single before she popped.

Although Nov 2001 was a really competitive time in music I remember
biscuits
The Diva

Postby JJeffs » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:25 pm

I was just listening to my Brandy playlist this morning... 26 songs, mostly singles. Never Say Never was definitely her peak for me in terms of both album and singles - by a long shot. Full Moon and Afrodisiac are both strong, but not albums I listen to all the way through. Human had a couple songs I like. And then Two Eleven was a full-on stinker for me, but to be fair, I didn't really give it much of a chance. I guess I could add Put It Down.

In terms of non-album tracks, I love: Thought You Said, Do Better, Sittin' Up In My Room and Where Are You Now.

I absolutely LOVE her voice and always welcome new music from her. I just felt bored with her more recent output overall.
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby Controlfreak » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:07 pm

The cast of Moesha will reunite on The Real this Friday.

Link
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Controlfreak » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:38 am

Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Controlfreak » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:20 am

Controlfreak
Manager

Postby jochen » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:33 am

Brandy had great songs!
My Faves

Best friend
Baby
I wanna be down
Brokenhearted (duet)

Where are you now

Sitting up in my room

Almost doesnt Count
Happy
Boy is mine
Top of the world
U dont know me (plus remix)

What about
I thought

Saddity
YOU cant blame nobody but YOU
jochen
Manager

Postby Controlfreak » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Controlfreak » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Guru » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:17 pm

Controlfreak wrote:
Ray J look like a damn fool wearing sunglasses in the studio :roll:
And the nostalgia :cry:
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Gravity » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:27 pm

^^ Ray J always looks like a damn fool.

It's a bittersweet reunion without Lamont Bentley.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Guru » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:33 am

Gravity wrote:^^ Ray J always looks like a damn fool.

It's a bittersweet reunion without Lamont Bentley.
he honestly looks like he’s blind :lol:
Guru
Guru

Return to General Artists Discussion